/* */

PDA

View Full Version : a math riddle! up for the challenge?

habibti4allah7
03-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Three men stay at a hotel for the night. The innkeeper charges thirty dollars per room per night. The men rent one room; each pays ten dollars. The bellhop leads the men to their room. Later, the innkeeper discovers he has overcharged the men and asks the bellhop to return five dollars to them. On the way upstairs, the bellhop realizes that five dollars can't be evenly split among three men, so he decides to keep two dollars for himself and return one dollar to each man.

At this point, the men have paid nine dollars each, totalling 27. The bellhop has two, which adds up to 29. Where did the thirtieth dollar go?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
03-18-2007, 07:02 PM
how are they overcharged :S u sed $30, thats what their paying

im confused :?

'Abd al-Baari
03-18-2007, 07:10 PM
thats confusing

habibti4allah7
03-18-2007, 07:12 PM
want the answer already?? :(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
03-18-2007, 07:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by habibti4allah7
want the answer already?? :(
go ahead ukht

MuHiTH
03-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Three men stay at a hotel for the night. The innkeeper charges thirty dollars per room per night. The men rent one room; each pays ten dollars.
They dont get overcharged, if they all pay 10 dollars each it equals to 30 dollars which is the right amount. Sister i dont think you wrote the riddle properly.

'Abd al-Baari
03-18-2007, 07:15 PM
:sl:

^but the inkeeper charged 30 dollars accidently

habibti4allah7
03-18-2007, 07:17 PM
okay here is the answer

The mistake is in how the thirty dollars are accounted for. The two dollars that the bellhop has are part of the 27 the men have paid. A correct accounting of the money is that 27 dollars were paid and three dollars were not, totaling 30 dollars

MuHiTH
03-18-2007, 07:19 PM
ooooooooook :S

Al_Imaan
03-18-2007, 07:24 PM
i just figured out the answer and noticed u already posted it up...that was a confusing one @ first..

Count DeSheep
03-18-2007, 07:30 PM
okay here is the answer

The mistake is in how the thirty dollars are accounted for. The two dollars that the bellhop has are part of the 27 the men have paid. A correct accounting of the money is that 27 dollars were paid and three dollars were not, totaling 30 dollars
:enough!: :enough!: :enough!:

I figured it out in like two minutes, and I was so proud of myself...Then BOOM! You've already posted the answer. :exhausted

If you ask another, I won't be able to solve it. That happened on another thread...:? Guess I'm only good for one riddle per thread. XD

habibti4allah7
03-18-2007, 07:37 PM
i can give a easy one for you

'Abd al-Baari
03-18-2007, 07:39 PM

I still dont get it!:-[ :cry:

Count DeSheep
03-18-2007, 07:41 PM
OK then! =D

Edit:
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah2907

I still dont get it!:-[ :cry:
The trick was the last few lines. The math in them was done wrong. =D

IbnAbdulHakim
03-18-2007, 07:41 PM
bring it on !!!:blind:

habibti4allah7
03-18-2007, 07:42 PM
You must cut a birthday cake into exactly eight pieces, but you're only allowed to make three straight cuts, and you can't move pieces of the cake as you cut. How can you do it?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-18-2007, 07:45 PM
You must cut a birthday cake into exactly eight pieces, but you're only allowed to make three straight cuts, and you can't move pieces of the cake as you cut. How can you do it?

lollll jazakAllah i needed that :D i feel smart again!

'Abd al-Baari
03-18-2007, 07:46 PM

finally one that i get, you have to make an x then cut down the middle

Is that right?

Count DeSheep
03-18-2007, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
lollll jazakAllah i needed that :D i feel smart again!
Then we've traded places. XD

habibti4allah7
yea youre kinda right

Use the first two cuts to cut an 'X' in the top of the cake. Now you have four pieces. Make the third cut horizontal, which will divide the four pieces into eight. Think of a two by two by two Rubik's cube. There's four pieces on the top tier and four more just underneath it.

habibti4allah7
see riddles arent that hard

IbnAbdulHakim
03-18-2007, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Count DeSheep
Then we've traded places. XD
LOL ;D ;D

Count DeSheep
03-18-2007, 07:57 PM
see riddles arent that hard
Psh. By your standards. To me, 2+2 is TEH hardnessness. I'm actually still working on that one from pre-school. >.<

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.