/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ingredients

syilla
03-20-2007, 02:22 AM
:salamext:

Just a reminder. Please check the ingredients before buying the products.

Name : E111
Ingredient Name: Orange GGN
Category: Colouring
Description: It is also known as alpha-naphthol orange. It is currently delisted in Europe and USA, as toxicological data shown it is harmful.

Name: E120
Ingredient Name: Cochineal, Carminic acid, Carmines
Category: Colouring
Description:
Colourant, made from crushed insects. This popular colorant is used to impart a deep red shade to fruit juices, gelatins, candies (e. g. red smarties), shampoos. When used as a food additive, the dye must be labelled on packaging labels. Sometimes carmine is labelled as E120. An unknown percentage of people have been found to have allergies to carmine. Natural carmine dye used in food and cosmetics is unacceptable for Muslims because the dye is extracted from insects.

E441Name: E441
Ingredient Name: Gelatine
Category: Emulsifier, gelling agent, [animal origin]
Description:
Produced from all species of animals. Unfortunately information on origin can only be obtained from the producer. Specific halal gelatin is made from cattle.

CloseName: E441
Ingredient Name: Gelatine
Category: Emulsifier, gelling agent, [animal origin]
Description:
Produced from all species of animals. Unfortunately information on origin can only be obtained from the producer. Specific halal gelatin is made from cattle.

Name: E920
Ingredient Name: L-cysteine hydrochloride
Category: Improving agent [animal origin]
Description:
An essential amino acid, present in all protein (essential indicates that it is needed by the human body). Derived from proteins, including animal protein and hair. It is a bread enhancer and stabilises the structure of leavened bread. Acceptable daily intake is not determined.

Name: E921
Ingredient Name: L-cysteine hydrochloride monohydrate
Category: Improving agent [animal origin]
Description:
An essential amino acid, present in all protein (essential indicates that it is needed by the human body). Derived from proteins, including animal protein and hair. It is a bread enhancer and stabilises the structure of leavened bread. Acceptable daily intake is not determined. E921 can be obtained from animal sources, including pork making it haram for muslims.

Name: Gin
Description:
A strong colorless alcoholic drink distilled from grain and flavored with juniper berries

Name: Lard
Description:
Fat from swine particulaly found in the abdominal cavity.Absolutely Haram for us.

Name: Pepsin
Description:
Pepsin a digestive enzyme of gastric juice normally present in human body.It is also obtained from the stomachs of hogs and calves and used as a digestive aid.

Name: Rennet or Rennin
Description:
The common source of animal-based rennet is the abomasum (fourth stomach) of slaughtered, milk-fed, newborn cow calves/goats/lamb etc and is thus haram. Rennet is commonly used in the making of cheese and junket. Recently however halal options are also available sourced from fig tree bark, nettles, thistles, mallow. Commercial so-called vegetable rennets usually contain rennet from the mold Mucor miehei.Thus, Unless stated otherwise, consider it haram.

Name: Rum
Description:
Rum is a distilled beverage made from sugarcane by-products such as molasses and sugarcane juice. Rum may also be used in a number of cooked dishes. It may be used as a flavoring agent in items such as rum balls or rum cakes. Rum is commonly used to macerate fruit used in fruitcakes and is also used in marinades for some Caribbean dishes

Name: Tallow
Description:
Tallow is rendered beef or mutton fat, processed from suet.It is used in animal feed, to make soap, for cooking, as a bird food, and was once used for making candles.Tallow made from a zabiha animal is of course halal.

Name: Vanilla Extract
Description:
A flavouring extract made from the vanilla bean and used in candy, ice cream, and perfumes. To obtain Pure Vanilla Extract, cured Vanilla Beans are steeped in alcohol. According to law, Pure Vanilla Extract must be 35 percent alcohol by volume.Hence making it absolutely haram for consumption.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
03-20-2007, 07:29 PM
:sl:

Jazakallah for sharing, i didn't know about some of them

Snowflake
03-20-2007, 07:41 PM
JazakAllah for sharing sis. :D

People! Brillo scouring pads are haram. That pink soap in it is made with pig fat. :-\

Woodrow
03-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I noticed that you have pepsin up there. It is true that pepsin can be obtained from the gastric juices of animals. But, another good source for it is papaya and pineapple in which it is usually labeled Papain and sometimes pepsin(papain) so if you know the source for the pepsin and are certain it is papain it will be a vegetable product.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mawaddah
03-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Another one I just found out

Rose water imsad

I wanted to make syrup for Gulab Jamun the other day and when I checked the lable of the bottle it listed 5.0% alcohol!!! :'(

Ah well......I found out how to make my own rose water so it's not so bad anymore :p

siFilam
03-20-2007, 08:48 PM
:salamext:
If I may add, many Ice Cream has natural and artificial flavors. these flavors may contain alcohol. I used to eat Bryers Ice Cream than I found out that the company uses 1% alcohol in there flavor. so please be careful. anything that has natural and artificial flavors check it out before eating it. I bought Nestle cookie dough to bake cookies at home, I called the company and found out that they also use alcohol as carrier for their artificial flavor. :raging:
May Allah, The Most Forgiving and Merciful, grant us halal sustenance.
I haven't found any halal ice cream yet :cry: I miss eating ice cream.
wasalam
-SI-

Mawaddah
03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
^ Bryers?? :eek: My mom buys that all the time! and what about Prestidge then?

Oh dear :cry:

unknown_JJ
03-20-2007, 10:47 PM
jazakallah

syilla
03-21-2007, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I noticed that you have pepsin up there. It is true that pepsin can be obtained from the gastric juices of animals. But, another good source for it is papaya and pineapple in which it is usually labeled Papain and sometimes pepsin(papain) so if you know the source for the pepsin and are certain it is papain it will be a vegetable product.
jazakallah khayr bro woodrow for sharing with us. :)

syilla
03-21-2007, 01:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Another one I just found out

Rose water imsad

I wanted to make syrup for Gulab Jamun the other day and when I checked the lable of the bottle it listed 5.0% alcohol!!! :'(

Ah well......I found out how to make my own rose water so it's not so bad anymore :p
Then share!!! ;P

How to make rose water? :? What is the rose water use for?:X

جوري
03-21-2007, 02:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Then share!!! ;P

How to make rose water? :? What is the rose water use for?:X
All sorts of yum yums--- and if you know how to make such yumyums do share them in my "share your recipe" thread plssssss...:-[

I think rose petals are even better than rose water. ..they make that afghani tea called (sheer shai)

out of it... and charge you $5.00 a pot at local afghan resturant......imagine learning their secret recipe and never needing to place that special order again? hmmmmmn

noodles
03-21-2007, 02:58 AM
Look for 'Legend' ice cream, I'm quite sure they don't use alcohol in their products. But I should check it once again.

Is nestle ice cream good?

north_malaysian
03-21-2007, 03:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
What is the rose water use for?:X
My mum uses it in her briyani rice................... i love the smell.

muslimah_786
03-22-2007, 10:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
JazakAllah for sharing sis. :D

People! Brillo scouring pads are haram. That pink soap in it is made with pig fat. :-\
Alhamdulillah we have got a dishwasher so dnt really use brillo pads, usually in asian families women are dishwashers :)

SirZubair
03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah_786
Alhamdulillah we have got a dishwasher so dnt really use brillo pads, usually in asian families women are dishwashers :)
OUI! What are you doin' out of the kitchen! Get back in the kitchen! :D :D

Snowflake
03-22-2007, 11:07 AM
alhumdulillah so have I. But don't your aluminium pans come out dull from the dishwasher?

back to topic

Some people think it's OK to eat/drink products with trace amounts of alcohol. But the issue of alcohol is straight forward.

The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) cursed ten associates of intoxicant drink. The Prophet sent la'annat on

1) Those who press alcohol

2) Those who give for pressing

3) Those who drink

4) Those who carry/transport

5) Those who order to be carried

6) Those who serve for drinking

7) Those who sell

8) Those who profit from it

9) Those who buy it

10) And for whom it is bought

All this monopoly is given la'anat

If all the above are haram then no way does it make sense to think it's ok to consume tiny amounts.

SirZubair
03-22-2007, 11:10 AM
...unless ofcourse you are strandard somewhere and you have no water to drink, and you manage to find a bottle of alcohol, you are allowed to drink it.

.. mind you, you are NOT allowed to drink it like a flippin' fish. A capfull to keep you going until you get thirsty again.

Snowflake
03-22-2007, 11:27 AM
^SubhanAllah!

*mentally notes.. only one capful at a time*

muslimah_786
03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
alhumdulillah so have I. But don't your aluminium pans come out dull from the dishwasher?
but sister we do :raging: , it depends on what kinda dishwasher you have, we can put em in!

muslimah_786
03-22-2007, 12:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
OUI! What are you doin' out of the kitchen! Get back in the kitchen! :D :D
LOL!! brother wudn't want u saying that 2 ur new wife, u probably scare her away!! LOL!! :statisfie

SirZubair
03-22-2007, 05:45 PM
LOL!! brother wudn't want u saying that 2 ur new wife, u probably scare her away!! LOL!! :statisfie
i've already told her that she is sleeping in the kitchen, and i want my breakfast ready in the morning, and she better wash her hands before feeding me... :D

HIJABI***
03-23-2007, 09:52 AM
i've already told her that she is sleeping in the kitchen, and i want my breakfast ready in the morning, and she better wash her hands before feeding me... :D

LOLZZZZ brother ur a funny fella:D

muslimah_786
03-27-2007, 09:12 AM
brother zubair thats not how u shud treat ur newly wed wife!! :raging:

muslimah_786
03-27-2007, 09:13 AM
by the way SIRZUBAIR, which website are your pics on because my sis sed that MASHALLAH your wife is very pretty and i wanna c her if that is ok with u so could you plzzzzzz post me the websit link!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.