/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Turban

anonymous
03-20-2007, 02:26 AM
:sl:
This may seem like an odd question, but

How would one tie a turban? Do you need special cloth? I'm thinking Islamic, Afghan turban like in this link:
[IMG]file:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/Family/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/art/news/lifestyles/links/turban_afghan.jpg

So, if anyone knows, please share the knowledge.

Thanks
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
03-20-2007, 02:48 AM
To be honest unless a person has had face to face instructions from a person in how to properly tie one it is best to buy a pre-tied one.

Many Islamic clothing stores do sell them and the price range is usually under $30

noodles
03-20-2007, 02:53 AM
Brother, I was honestly looking through the web for maybe a some pictures or maybe some instructions. However, all I came up with was the way the sikh's tie it. I'm pretty sure that is not acceptable in islam though. So I guess you might want to ask your local imam or someone at the local mosque.

Perhaps, an elderly, as they usually know about these way.

anonymous
03-20-2007, 03:21 AM
Ok thanks... Of course I didn't want a sikh one lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mawaddah
03-20-2007, 01:53 PM

Whilst living in Yemen I learnt how to tie the turban in 4 different ways, as the men over there wear the turban as a part of their daily dress, and so I observed the way my brothers and father wore it and learned from them.

There's really nothing much to it, but I dont think you would understand it if I wrote it out step by step, it'd sound too confusing lol.

You have to find someone who knows how to wear it and learn it from them insha'allah.

AvarAllahNoor
03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Yup you don't want to be tying one like a Sikh, people get confused enough without you lot doing that as well :p

جوري
03-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Out of curiosity--why is wearing a turban significant for men in Islam?

noodles
03-20-2007, 03:18 PM
^ Our beloved Prophet Muhammad S.A.W used to wear it when addressing a crowd. Its listed as sunnah by most scholars.

جوري
03-20-2007, 03:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
^ Our beloved Prophet Muhammad S.A.W used to wear it when addressing a crowd. Its listed as sunnah by most scholars.
shokran akhi-- it is not mandatory is it?

Mawaddah
03-20-2007, 03:34 PM
^ No not mandatory :)

جوري
03-20-2007, 03:35 PM
shokran ukhty :-[ :D

Umar001
03-20-2007, 03:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
Sunnah in what way bro?

NoName55
03-20-2007, 03:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
shokran akhi-- it is not mandatory is it?

Hanafi Fiqh
(Quoted by Al-Shurunbali in Muhammad Abul Quasem p #91)
It is mustahab (praiseworthy) to pray using "three of one's best clothes, a Thawb, Silwar, and turban or kufi"

Shafi`i Fiqh
(Quoted by Al-Misri in Reliance of the Traveller p # 122)
"It is mustahab (praiseworthy) to pray using an ankle-length Thawb and a turban"

Hanbali Fiqh
(Quoted By Ibn Qudama, al-Mughni (1994 ed.) 1:404-405)
"It is mustahab (praiseworthy) to pray using a Thawb, Silwar or a Izar and a turban"

Malik Fiqh
(Quoted by Ibn Abi Zayd, al-Jami` fi al-sunan (1982 ed.) p. 228)
Imaam Malik said "The turban was worn from the beginning of Islam and it did not cease being worn until our time. I did not see anyone among the People of Excellence except they wore the turban, such as Yahya ibn Sa`id, Rabi`a, and Ibn Hurmuz. I would see in Rabi`a's circle more than thirty men wearing turbans and I was one of them, and Rabi`a did not put it down until the Pleiades rose (i.e. until he slept) and he used to say: "I swear that I find it increases intelligence."

Mawaddah
03-20-2007, 03:51 PM
^ Masha'allah, Jazakallah khair for those Quotes brother :)

noodles
03-20-2007, 03:52 PM
If I remember correctly, there are a couple of Hadiths from Imam muslim that specify as to the wearing of the Turban. I do know that its Sunnah.

I'll try to find the ones that show it. I'll get back to you on this.

noodles
03-20-2007, 03:52 PM
bah...as you can see i'm too late...

Umar001
03-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I just mean, I know the Prophet, peace be upon him, wore them, so I mean in that sense it's sunnah.

But is it a sunnah that there is reward in? Or was it a sunnah that falls under cultural type of thing.

Mawaddah
03-20-2007, 03:56 PM
^ If I remember correctly (Allahu A3lam) it's more like a cultural thing because the Prophet did not command anyone with the wearing of the Turban.

NoName55
03-20-2007, 03:59 PM
today it could identify one with another religious group for whom it has become an article of faith, so if anyone wants to blur distintinction, go ahead and do it. I prefer kufi to turban anyday so that I'm recocgnised without mix-ups

edit:

format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ Masha'allah, Jazakallah khair for those Quotes brother :)
My pleasure! :w:

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-20-2007, 04:12 PM
:salamext:

I read this in the book 'The Etiquette of seeking knowledge' by shaykh Bakr Aboo Zayd:

...and take the advice of the Commander of the Believers, 'Umar ibn al-Khattaab in his famous book, and in it [he says]: "So beware of [excessive] comfort, and imitating the appearance of the 'ajam (the non Arab)*, and tough yourselves and roughen yourselves..."
In the footnotes, it says regarding 'ajam:

*This statement is not considered as Pro-Arab nationalism, rather it refers to - in the terminology of the salaf - the non Muslim Arabs that the Salaf came in to contact with when Islaam began to spread to places like Asia, Persia etc. The proof of this is the other narration in Saheeh Muslim; "...and beware of imitating the appearance of the people of shirk". This explanation was also held by Imaam al-Qurtubee and Imaam an-Nawawee in their explanation of saheeh Muslim. An example of such is the manner of which these 'Ajam used to tie their turbans: without a tail (behind their backs or on their chest) or without a hat underneath it, and not bringing it underneath the chin, along many other examples. So it comes under the category of the prohibition of immitating the kuffar.
This part was added by the translator, who is Abu Abdillah Murad ibn Muhammad Hilmi Ash-Shuweikh.

NOTE: Now this is established it becomes apparent the many mistakes the Muslims make when wearing the turban: they do not wear a hat underneath it, nor do they tie it with a tail between their shoulders. and bringing it beneath their chins. Tying the turban in this manner was considered a sign of the pious people of the Sunnah as Ibn Raslaan said. It was also narrated that some of the salaf used to say: "The turban without a tail is the turban of Iblees (Satan)," and some of them said it was the turban of the dhimmi (the kaafir under the rule of the Muslims), and Imaam Aboo Bakr at-Tartooshee used to say: "Tying the turban without a tail or without bringing it beneath the chin is an evil bid'ah (innovation)." For more information refer to Iqtidaa as-Siraat al-Mustaqeem by Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah and Nayl al-Awtaar by Shawkaanee.
:wasalamex

Mawaddah
03-20-2007, 04:23 PM
So here are some Sunnah's of the 'Imaamah :

Letting it hang between the shoulder Blades

From Ibn Umar, He said " Rasulullah Salalllahu alaihi wa sallam used to let his Imaamah hang between his shoulders whenever it was 3atamah (Ishaa time)
Ibn Naafi3' said " And Ibn Umar used to let his 3imaamah hand between his shoulders "

The piece of 3imaamah hanging from the back should be the lenght of 4 fingers

Rasulullah peace be upon him Dressed Abdurrahmaan ibn Awf in an 3imaamah and he let it hang from behind him by the length of 4 fingers or close to that. And then he said " Wear your 3imaamah like this, for it is more like the Arabs and More Better "
As-Suyuuti said " It's chain of narration is Hasan"

( My dad used to wear his 3imaamah short like that, he looked so good )

Wrapping the Imaamah around the head

al-Bayhaqee Related a Hadeeth in his book "Shu3ab al-Iman" From Ibn Salaam Bin Abdillah Bin Salaam, He said , " I asked Ibn Umar How did Rasulullah use to wear his Imaamah" Ibn Umar replied " He used to wrap it around his head and let it hang from behind his head and he used to let a piece of it hang from between his shoulders "

Umar001
03-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Umm Abdullah, is that book online??

And I might just have to get a turban, when my mum becomes Muslim. That'd be boooya.

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-20-2007, 05:25 PM
:salamext:

I do not know if this book is online or not, as I have the actual book in my posession for now. But if you want to buy it, the publisher is al-hidaayah publications.

NoName55
03-20-2007, 05:35 PM
http://www.allaahuakbar.in/AuthorSearch.asp?catid=97

$8.00
.................................................. ....
http://www.islamicbookstore.com/b7347.html
$7.16

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.