/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Iraq war: Failure or success?

sonz
03-20-2007, 06:25 PM
By: Adam Robertson

"U.S. out of Iraq, now”, "world's biggest tyrants - Napoleon, Hitler and Bush", shouted anti-war protesters marking the fourth anniversary of America’s invasion of Iraq.

As we mark the fourth anniversary of the war with demonstrations and antiwar rallies organised in almost every country worldwide, protesting the American President’s unwise decision to invade Iraq four years ago, Bush appeals for patience over his failing war, yet avoiding the debate over whether his decision has scored its intended results yet, focusing instead on his future plan in the violence-ravaged country and warning that a U.S. withdrawal would unleash a "contagion of violence" that could spark a repeat of the 9/11 attacks.

In the United States itself, hundreds of anti-war protests were organised to urge the Bush administration end America’s military involvement in Iraq and call on the Congress end funding for the war.

Protesters calling for the immediate withdrawal from Iraq marched on Sunday and converged on a park near the United Nations headquarters.

In Washington alone, about 10,000 people participated in the march denouncing the war. Thousands crossed the Potomac River from the Lincoln Memorial expressing loudly their rejection of the war.

Similar anti-war protests were staged around the world over the weekend, marking the invasion’s fourth anniversary as well as the nations’ mounting anger over the daily killings and the bloodshed going in Iraq.

Four years ago, Bush gave his five-minute-long war declaration speech warning that the war "could be longer and more difficult than some expect."

But in his speech yesterday, Bush avoided looking back at the war, instead pleading for patience with his new plan, that is said to be aimed at restoring stability to the country that has been ruined by his war.

He admitted however that there would be "bad days ahead".

But, as analysts explained, his self-confidence of 2003, has retreated.

He, besides avoiding the evaluation of the war, directed some criticism to the Democrats, who now control Congress, threatening to veto any bill that doesn't provide "the funds and the flexibility that our troops need to accomplish their mission," opposing the will and hopes of his nation, that wants the congress to stop funding the war.

He repeated same rhetoric about "devastating" result an immediate withdrawal from Iraq would have, citing old lies about threats facing the U.S. since 9/11 attacks.

"It can be tempting to look at the challenges in Iraq and conclude our best option is to pack up and go home. That may be satisfying in the short run, but I believe the consequences for American security would be devastating.

"If American forces were to step back from Baghdad before it is more secure, a contagion of violence could spill out across the entire country. In time, this violence could engulf the region.

"The terrorists could emerge from the chaos with a safe haven in Iraq to replace the one they had in Afghanistan, which they used to plan the attacks of September 11, 2001. For the safety of the American people, we cannot allow this to happen."

Four years of bloodshed and destruction and failing policies don’t seem to be an enough good reason for America’s President to realise the mistake he committed by declaring war on Iraq.

Iraq is not safe anymore, the U.S. is not safe anymore, and absolutely the world is not safe anymore.

Iraq war has failed, and that’s made manifest in Bush’s avoidance of using the word "victory" during his speech.

But this doesn’t mean he has heeded lessons of the past, he still insists to stay the course, committing his troops to an indefinite period of military involvement in Iraq that is doomed to failure.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aLiTTLeTiMe
03-20-2007, 06:26 PM
they gonna failure forever insaallah..

Keltoi
03-20-2007, 07:50 PM
What the article doesn't mention is that, in the U.S. at least, where it matters, there were just as many "pro-war" protestors as there were "anti-war". The American people, on average, want success, not failure. Sometimes success isn't easily defined, and sometimes it takes years to achieve a political objective.

vpb
03-20-2007, 07:52 PM
BBC some days ago, just showed on news, that the person who put down the statue of Sadam, regrets it now, bc he thinks now Iraq is worse than it was before.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
03-20-2007, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
BBC some days ago, just showed on news, that the person who put down the statue of Sadam, regrets it now, bc he thinks now Iraq is worse than it was before.
What? Are you referring to the soldier driving the tank or the guy who chained the statue? I would like to see a transcript of that story.

vpb
03-20-2007, 07:56 PM
What? Are you referring to the soldier driving the tank or the guy who chained the statue? I would like to see a transcript of that story.
I dont know, they just showed the man on the picture, with a big hammer hitting the statue of Sadam.

I'll try to find it, cuz i saw it on TV.

Keltoi
03-20-2007, 07:57 PM
I dont know, they just showed the man on the picture, with a big hammer hitting the statue of Sadam.

I'll try to find it, cuz i saw it on TV.
Oh, you are talking about an Iraqi aren't you?

wilberhum
03-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Worse than it was before! How could anyone come to a different conclusion.
Sadam, at his worst, created more security than there is now.

To leave or not to leave, that is the question.

Neither answer is good, we just need to figure out which is the worst and do the other.

vpb
03-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Oh, you are talking about an Iraqi aren't you?
yes, the guy was an iraqi.

i can't find it on BBC.co.uk . it's hard

England
03-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Iraqis: Life is getting better

Iraqis: life is getting better
Marie Colvin
MOST Iraqis believe life is better for them now than it was under Saddam Hussein, according to a British opinion poll published today.

The survey of more than 5,000 Iraqis found the majority optimistic despite their suffering in sectarian violence since the American-led invasion four years ago this week.

One in four Iraqis has had a family member murdered, says the poll by Opinion Research Business. In Baghdad, the capital, one in four has had a relative kidnapped and one in three said members of their family had fled abroad. But when asked whether they preferred life under Saddam, the dictator who was executed last December, or under Nouri al-Maliki, the prime minister, most replied that things were better for them today.

Only 27% think there is a civil war in Iraq, compared with 61% who do not, according to the survey carried out last month.

Related Links
Resilient Iraqis ask what civil war?
Violence slashed as troop surge hits Baghdad
By a majority of two to one, Iraqis believe military operations now under way will disarm all militias. More than half say security will improve after a withdrawal of multinational forces.

Margaret Beckett, the foreign secretary, said the findings pointed to progress. “There is no widespread violence in the four southern provinces and the fact that the picture is more complex than the stereotype usually portrayed is reflected in today’s poll,” she said

Keltoi
03-20-2007, 10:10 PM
The Iraqis are more concerned with day to day realities, not political benchmarks. Hard to stay hopeful about the future when you don't have a job, clean water, electricity, etc. I don't blame the Iraqis for being pessimistic.

Muezzin
03-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Brits seem to think differently - 60% think Iraq war was wrong, poll shows

England
03-20-2007, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
The war WAS wrong. It's not our country, not our problem.
It's the way the media portrays the image of Iraq...
I heard a British troop talking on the news today saying the image of Iraq is totally different to what we see in the papers. The only things we see is the violence but we don't see the progress of Iraq.

Sami Zaatari
03-20-2007, 10:12 PM
more car bombs in iraq today, and more dead US soldiers, that just says it all, forget the debates or the stats, just look at the ground facts :)

Muezzin
03-20-2007, 10:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
It's the way the media portrays the image of Iraq...
Was that a parody of the cliche 'it's all the media's fault' argument? :p

Keltoi
03-20-2007, 10:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I can only speak as an American, but I think the polls suggest the difficulty of the task. Most Americans and Brits thought the operation would be quick fix and we would forget about it in a couple of years. Now that the reality of the situation has set in, people just want it to be over with, regardless of the long-term dangers of leaving prematurely. I realize that is different than people believing the war "was wrong", and I'm sure many of these people always felt that way. If I had to guess though, I bet many also supported the goals of the war before it became difficult and depressing.

Muezzin
03-20-2007, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I can only speak as an American, but I think the polls suggest the difficulty of the task. Most Americans and Brits thought the operation would be quick fix and we would forget about it in a couple of years. Now that the reality of the situation has set in, people just want it to be over with, regardless of the long-term dangers of leaving prematurely.
Very true. Ironically, though I was (and am) critical of the war in Iraq, I don't want the troops to leave prematurely, as they are now needed for stability. I also don't want any troops or Iraqis to die, but it's a case of 'we made this mess, so we have to clean it up'.

I realize that is different than people believing the war "was wrong", and I'm sure many of these people always felt that way. If I had to guess though, I bet many also supported the goals of the war before it became difficult and depressing.
Sucks to be them.

England
03-20-2007, 10:22 PM
There's Progress in Iraq

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062001176.html

Sami Zaatari
03-20-2007, 10:23 PM
these facts says it all:

March 2: 14 bodies of policemen were found north east of Baghdad after an Al-Qaeda-affiliated group claimed responsibility for the kidnappings of 18 interior ministry employees many of them being police officers. The group claimed the kidnappings was in response to the reported rape of a sunni lady at the hands of the police forces. [86]

March 5: A suicide car bomber struck Baghdads oldest book market leaving 38dead and 105 wounded. [87]

March 6: 2 suicide bombers blow themselves up among a large crowd of Shiite pilgrims in the town of Hillah killing 120 and wounding over 150. [88]

March 7: 30 people are killed when a suicide bomber blows up in a cafe northeast of Baghdad. [89]

March 10: 18 people are killed in the Shia millitia stronghold of Sadr city in Baghdad when a suicide bomber attacks a police checkpoint. [90]

March 11: A suicide car bomber rammed a truck carrying Shiite pilgrims from Karabala killing 32 and wounding 24. The attack occurred in the capital Baghdad. [91]

March 15: 8 Iraqi policemen are killed in Baghdad when a suicide bomber targeted a joint Iraqi army-police checkpoint. [92]

March 17: Three separate suicide truck bombings in anbar province leave 2 Iraqi policemen dead. The bombers used trucks containing large amounts of chlorine which left around 350 people feeling sick including US servicemen. [93]

March 19: A series of car bombs in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk leave 12 dead and dozens wounded. [94]

this is march alone, and this is only attacks by one group, al-qaeda, if thats not a sign of a failure then what is!

Keltoi
03-20-2007, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
lol...It's sad what we consider progress these days. Seriously though, yes there is an improving security situation. That is good, and I hope it continues.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.