/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Lobster On School Menu

England
03-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Lobster On School Menu
Updated: 14:11, Monday March 12, 2007

The days of lumpy mashed potato and even lumpier gravy are off the menu for the lucky pupils of one school.

Students at Oldbury College of Sport in the West Midlands can tuck in to school dinners featuring a selection of freshly baked bread, lobster thermidor and homemade peach muffin - and all for just £1.65.

Advertisement

The grub that would make Jamie Oliver proud is all the work of school cook, Blodwen Hinton, who even plans to add venison to the menu, according to The Sun.

She refuses to serve chips, has banned chocolate and fizzy drinks and all the eggs are free range.

The lobster is caught by the cook and her husband on weekend breaks to Anglesey.

And her winning cuisine has helped lift the school up the league table.

John Martin, headmaster, said when he took over seven years ago, pupils, many of whom came from one-parent families, were not even issued with cutlery in the canteen.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...255419,00.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
03-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Bit of trivia. Back during WW2 when I was a kid growing up in Connecticut. Meat was rationed and very expensive. Seldom had any type of meat. But, at that time lobster was very cheap in the New England area and we used to call it "Poor Mans" Chicken. By the time I was 6 years old I was so sick of lobster I never wanted to see another one.

But, to get back on topic. it is interesting to see what that school is doing. I do not know how the school system operates in the UK. Is that a "Private" school?

Umar001
03-21-2007, 04:35 PM
I've never had lobster, its one of my ambitions in life.

Mawaddah
03-21-2007, 04:42 PM
^ It's not all that special....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Zaara
03-21-2007, 04:43 PM
^ No, not special, but delicious! :p

Woodrow
03-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Prawns are much better.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-21-2007, 04:46 PM
:sl:

Seafood...the smell takes away the appetite..

England
03-21-2007, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Bit of trivia. Back during WW2 when I was a kid growing up in Connecticut. Meat was rationed and very expensive. Seldom had any type of meat. But, at that time lobster was very cheap in the New England area and we used to call it "Poor Mans" Chicken. By the time I was 6 years old I was so sick of lobster I never wanted to see another one.

But, to get back on topic. it is interesting to see what that school is doing. I do not know how the school system operates in the UK. Is that a "Private" school?
No it's not a private school. Schools are having to feed children healthy meals rather than the unhealthy hence that thread I started not so long ago about headmasters going through childrens' school dinners to see if they have brought anything unhealthy. Some are moving faster than the others and this school seems to be moving fast..

Keltoi
03-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Wow....let's just hope the wine isn't served room temperature, everyone knows it should be slightly chilled.

Umar001
03-21-2007, 04:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ It's not all that special....
I know, but I mean, you know the feeling of wanting to try something.

format_quote Originally Posted by England
No it's not a private school. Schools are having to feed children healthy meals rather than the unhealthy hence that thread I started not so long ago about headmasters going through childrens' school dinners to see if they have brought anything unhealthy. Some are moving faster than the others and this school seems to be moving fast..
Makes me wish I was back at school, all we had, if we had the money, was chips beans and cheese, that's the rich guys. When I started school that cost 90p when I left school chips alone costed 1.10 lol.

Kittygyal
03-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Greetings.
i wouldn't mind eating a ''lobster'' kinda look nice blud :p
Take care

Al_Imaan
03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Madani

lol....

I've never had lobster, its one of my ambitions in life
same here...would like to try it...i used to go to an muslim private school...and everything from the meat to the cheese was supposed to be haram...so everyday it was veggie burger and fish sticks+o( ...wish they used lobster as an alternative for meat....:rollseyes

Keltoi
03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Lobster tails are the best.

Kittygyal
03-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Greetings
^ lol what about there legs lol
Take care

Woodrow
03-21-2007, 04:56 PM
It is a good trend. Here in the States it is a bit more difficult to implement things nation wide as each State has it's own criteria for school standards. the only threat the Feds have is to deny federal funding if a State is not in compliance with Federal rules. But, in the case of schools that would be counter productive.

Here in Texas the Schools are goverened by ISD's (Independent School Districts.) However, all of the Schools are eligible to by the school meals through State Resources so there is some uniformity in school meals throughout the state and the State does excercise some control in that manner. The trend is for healthier foods.

Mawaddah
03-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Well It still doesn't top the schedule that my school had in Malaysia....Kids were spoilt there :D

IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2007, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Madani

reps :p

Noor
03-21-2007, 05:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al_imaan_786
i used to go to an muslim private school...and everything from the meat to the cheese was supposed to be haram...so everyday it was veggie burger and fish sticks+o( ...wish they used lobster as an alternative for meat....:rollseyes [/B]

What? An Islamic School serving non-halal meat? That does not sound right!

IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
i wanna see curry in a school. It would be quite funny :)

Mawaddah
03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
I guess Malaysian schools dont count eh? They have curry and roti.....

IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2007, 05:18 PM
nope has to be london. but then again theres this fat kid epidemic going around so its very unlikely their going to put curry in the menu.

Mawaddah
03-21-2007, 05:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
nope has to be london. but then again theres this fat kid epidemic going around so its very unlikely their going to put curry in the menu.
It might be very helpful actually for the fat kids. Spicy curry! doesn't that say it all? the food in their stomachs wouldn't have time for sitting around lol

IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2007, 05:20 PM
It might be very helpful actually for the fat kids. Spicy curry! doesn't that say it all? the food in their stomachs wouldn't have time for sitting around lol
yea but then its a lot of costs because their going to have to create 100 toilets and the cleaners will need to have surgery to remove the sense of smell and will to live (is that possible? :?)

Pk_#2
03-21-2007, 05:31 PM
i wana hav a lobster for Eid :D

Treat me someone!

*Isit a fish?*

Mawaddah
03-21-2007, 05:33 PM
^ Yea, it's a fish with Claws

:p

I think the term for it is Crustacean ? :?

Pk_#2
03-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Isn't that the term for slugs

+o(+o(+o(+o(+o(+o(

nah i wan money fo eid !! :muddlehea

...i might buy you one.

Al_Imaan
03-21-2007, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noor

What? An Islamic School serving non-halal meat? That does not sound right!
lol...i think i should rephrase that....since it was haram...it was fish sticks and veggie burgers everyday....

MTAFFI
03-21-2007, 05:53 PM
I cant believe some havent tried lobster, it is best with melted butter, the tail is really the only part I have ever eaten

IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2007, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
I cant believe some havent tried lobster, it is best with melted butter, the tail is really the only part I have ever eaten
lol the word melted can make anything sound good!!

the only thing which puts me off is seeing the lobsters before they get cooked in that tank, lol when you just saw something moving about and then its on your plate... kinda puts you off!!!!

Mawaddah
03-21-2007, 06:58 PM
^ You should try conch then, Here in the Bahamas they just pull the thing straight outta the shell, and chop it up alive, squeeze some lemon over it, top it with tomatoes and onions and sprinkle some salt and Voila! You got the delicacy which is called conch salad :D

IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2007, 06:59 PM
^ You should try conch then, Here in the Bahamas they just pull the thing straight outta the shell, and chop it up alive, squeeze some lemon over it, top it with tomatoes and onions and sprinkle some salt and Voila! You got the delicacy which is called conch salad :D
does it look better on your plate or after you puke it out? :D

Woodrow
03-21-2007, 07:41 PM
And for that reason the Conch in the Bahamas are the most educated mollusks on earth they have learned to write and now when you catch one it is carrying a little sign that says "Eat at McDonalds"

MuHiTH
03-21-2007, 07:47 PM
tbh it dont look that delicious, it makes me feel sick.

prawns are much better :)

MTAFFI
03-21-2007, 08:05 PM

+o(

Muezzin
03-21-2007, 11:25 PM
To me, eating a lobster is akin to eating a gigantic bug.

Count DeSheep
03-21-2007, 11:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
To me, eating a lobster is akin to eating a gigantic bug.
Ick. Same here.

Eating any sea food is not appealing to me...Except shrimp. And tuna. Although sometimes I can't eat tuna when I think about live fish...+o(

IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2007, 11:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Count DeSheep
Ick. Same here.

Eating any sea food is not appealing to me...Except shrimp. And tuna. Although sometimes I can't eat tuna when I think about live fish...+o(
have you ever compared muzzels to snails? i dont see the difference :?

Count DeSheep
03-21-2007, 11:41 PM
have you ever compared muzzels to snails? i dont see the difference :?
No page with that title exists.

Wikipedia said it, so therefore muzzels do not exist. Except in Winnie the Pooh, but I think those were called woozles. =P

IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2007, 11:44 PM
No page with that title exists.

Wikipedia said it, so therefore muzzels do not exist. Except in Winnie the Pooh, but I think those were called woozles. =P
LOL, you know what im talking about!!!

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 12:49 AM
omg!! ive been like dying to try lobster!! i cnt seem to find any resturants here in central london that does it!!! can anyone recommend one? i prefer like a indian resturant...but any other would do........i know they r very very expensive...but ive been dying to try it...

*charisma*
03-22-2007, 01:28 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

mashallah, strong stomaches some of you have :D

I taste food with my eyes and nose before I pop it into my mouth lol.

so everyday it was veggie burger and fish sticks
sticks of fish....sounds appetizing :sunny:

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

north_malaysian
03-22-2007, 02:01 AM
When I was in Primary School (only 50% Muslims), there were 5 food sellers in a single canteen... 3 were Malays and 2 Chinese.

They sell:

1) Noodles (eg. Koay Teow, Mee, Beehoon, Laksa) - Malay
2) Rice (eg. Plain Rice, Nasi Lemak-Coconut Milk Rice, Fried Rice) - Malay
3) Traditional Malay Cakes - "Kuih" (like 30 varieties of those "Kuih") - Malay
4) Bakery (eg. toast bread, sandwiches, cakes, buns) - Chinese
5) Drinks & Candies (syrup, coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolates, candies) - Chinese

Out of 1,000 students, only 2-3 people brought home-made meal..

Because of religious sensitivities pork and beef are forbidden to be sold by those food sellers.

The school also have poor students programme, of which the school would provide free meals for poor students (during my time there were only 5 poor students, all of them Hindus)

Count DeSheep
03-22-2007, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deen_2007
i know they r very very expensive...but ive been dying to try it...
Woodrow said they're the poor man's chicken. =P

Then again, that was 800 years ago. Things can change in that time. =P

Woodrow
03-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Woodrow said they're the poor man's chicken. =P

Then again, that was 800 years ago. Things can change in that time. =P
Shows the result of over fishing and increased demand. It takes about 10 years for a lobster to reach maturity. Now the ones being sold are the tiny yearlings hardly 16 ounces each.

At one time 5 to 10 pound lobsters were the normal catch. Over 20 pounds was not a rarity. Those under 5 pounds were thrown back and allowed to grow.

Greed and stupidity have ruined lobster.

Count DeSheep
03-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Greed and stupidity have ruined lobster.
Lobster is Arabic for "life"? =P

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 03:05 PM
isnt lobster more expensive then chicken?

Mawaddah
03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
^ These days yes, coz they have been 'overfished' like Uncle Woodrow said.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 03:16 PM
^ These days yes, coz they have been 'overfished' like Uncle Woodrow said.
lol i wonder how much 'overchickened' chicken is ;D

Woodrow
03-22-2007, 03:51 PM
lol i wonder how much 'overchickened' chicken is ;D
I think real chickens are almost extinct. All you can find are them even weight same age factory produced birds that have little resemblance to a genuine farm raised chicken that chases the little farm kids when they go to gather eggs.

I refuse to believe that todays chicken is a happy healthy bird. But, that is what we are getting fed. Years back if a farmer found a chicken in his flock that looked like the poor birds of today, he would have shot it, to put it out of it's misery.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 03:54 PM
I think real chickens are almost extinct. All you can find are them even weight same age factory produced birds that have little resemblance to a genuine farm raised chicken that chases the little farm kids when they go to gather eggs.

I refuse to believe that todays chicken is a happy healthy bird. But, that is what we are getting fed. Years back if a farmer found a chicken in his flock that looked like the poor birds of today, he would have shot it, to put it out of it's misery.
JazakAllah khair.

Your making me go closer to realising the dream.

Im starting that Farm! I'll do it for the chickens. Aswell as for the beautiful simple lifestyle of course.

Mawaddah
03-22-2007, 03:56 PM
^ True say Uncle Woodrow!! These chickens that we eat today are just overgrown chicks really. Back in Malaysia at my moms kampung (village) everyone kept their own egglaying chickens and they look nothing like the chickens you see on those big farms.

MTAFFI
03-22-2007, 04:15 PM
I have wild turkeys that run around on my land (talk about something that needs to be shot to be out out of its misery) LOL

Count DeSheep
03-22-2007, 04:43 PM
I have wild turkeys that run around on my land
So do my grandparents. I always ask them why they don't just cook one of them for Thanksgiving Day rather than going to the store...=P

Keltoi
03-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Almost every morning as I sit outside drinking my coffee I see a flock of turkeys. These turkeys are released by the state government though, and don't get all that big.

MTAFFI
03-22-2007, 04:49 PM
These turkeys are actually quite large, they are totally wild and I dont hunt them just because I wouldnt want to pluck all the feathers and all the rest of it. They basically have their own turkey preserve on my property...LOL

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-22-2007, 05:00 PM
mmm seafood....:p. Plus its all i eat when im out at a non halal restaurant...

Mawaddah
03-22-2007, 05:02 PM
So do my grandparents. I always ask them why they don't just cook one of them for Thanksgiving Day rather than going to the store...=P
I'm sure that chewing on that meat would give you jaw aches though wouldn't it?

Unless you cook it up realllllll tender

Count DeSheep
03-22-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm sure that chewing on that meat would give you jaw aches though wouldn't it?
Psh. You don't know who I am, do you?

I never shut up. Jaws aching...Impossibility. Strongest muscles in my body on part of my mouth. Then again, they're also the only muscles I have. XD

Kittygyal
03-22-2007, 06:28 PM
salamualikum.
but but... people i haven't seen a lobster in a resturant either it will be nice to taste one. :D
Ma'assalama

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salamualikum.
but but... people i haven't seen a lobster in a resturant either it will be nice to taste one. :D
Ma'assalama
stare at this for 5 minutes and then let me know if you feel the same inshaAllah

drooling yet? :omg:

Kittygyal
03-22-2007, 07:28 PM
stare at this for 5 minutes and then let me know if you feel the same inshaAllah

salamualikum.
mouth watering:enough!:
Ma'assalama

Woodrow
03-22-2007, 07:45 PM
He smiled at me and I can not resist those eyes. I need to find him and bring him home and name him Charlie.

Kittygyal
03-22-2007, 07:48 PM
salamualikum.
^ awww bless, he's keeping eye contact with me && wants to give me a cuddle
Ma'assalama

Pygoscelis
03-22-2007, 08:30 PM
I have an irrational distaste for eating anything I've met. And typically you select your lobster from a tank while it is still alive. They sell them at the supermarket also alive.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 08:45 PM
can those claws cause damage :?

Kittygyal
03-22-2007, 08:47 PM
salamualikum.
^ remember one thing akhi if you never harm an animal nor a human then they don't harm YOU :D
Ma'assalama

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salamualikum.
^ remember one thing akhi if you never harm an animal nor a human then they don't harm YOU :D
Ma'assalama
i DARE you to stand right in front of a crocodile!!!!

wont do it?
i didnt think so!!

Kittygyal
03-22-2007, 08:54 PM
i DARE you to stand right in front of a crocodile!!!!

wont do it?
i didnt think so!!
salamualikum.
well if i stand other side and the corcodile is like abit further from me than it will do me no harm unless i tease it like a dog, a dog won't do no harm but if you run it can harm you simple as the crocodile and i know crocodiles are bigger than me so i won't even stand next to one for a matter of fact but as for this lobster i am sure it won't do no harm unless you tease it for some harm dude hmppft!!!
Ma'assalama

by the way there will ALWAYS be my bodyguards with me so will ALL so i guess just recite the dua'ah init :p lol

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 08:58 PM
:salamext:

obviously what cant see you wont harm you lol, i mean as soon as it see's you you'd better run therefore what you said before is invalid ! i recall that baboon from babies day out, those guys didnt harm it at all!

MTAFFI
03-22-2007, 08:58 PM
a lobster is an oversized shrimp with big claws, and they wont hurt you because their claws are rubberbanded shut, i just look in their eyes and say "Lobster! Lobster! There you are! You sure look good to this Kuffar!"

LOL

- Qatada -
03-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Error ^ Kuffar is plural to kafir [singular.] Which means disbeliever and also means ungrateful. :)

Kittygyal
03-22-2007, 09:03 PM

obviously what cant see you wont harm you lol, i mean as soon as it see's you you'd better run therefore what you said before is invalid ! i recall that baboon from babies day out, those guys didnt harm it at all!
Salamualikum.
OH MY DAYS....... lol but what if a dog see's you obviously you don't run because if you do run the dog thinks your teasing it so basically i aint that blodnie to go stand right next to a giant corocadile because i know i won't maybe if there was the keeper with ith but not whislt am alone that will never happen dude not in UK though well then again Allah Hu Alim.
Ma'asalama

MTAFFI
03-22-2007, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Error ^ Kuffar is plural to kafir [singular.] Which means disbeliever and also means ungrateful. :)
I know but I had to make it rhyme! :D

I know that is what it means, and I am usually in disbelief of how good it tastes! :statisfie

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 09:08 PM
I know but I had to make it rhyme! :D

I know that is what it means, and I am usually in disbelief of how good it tastes! :statisfie
or you also ungrateful as to how it tastes :p :p

Woodrow
03-22-2007, 09:13 PM
The claws on a large loster are capable of breaking an arm. I recall hear stories of Maine lobstermen who have lost hands to a lobster. However, the average person is not capable of swimming deep enough to come face to face with a lobster.

- Qatada -
03-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Most of mankind are ungrateful.. may Allaah make us of those who are grateful to Allaah for His blessings, since He is our Provider.

And remember! your Lord caused to be declared (publicly): "If ye are grateful, I will add more (favours) unto you; But if ye show ingratitude, truly My punishment is terrible indeed."
[Qur'an 14:7]

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 09:15 PM

OMG!!! is that a real lobster? :giggling: ..it looks plastic and close to a toy!! :D ....

yep...im NOW literally dying!!! trying lobster has been a dream 4 me for about 2yr now! the only thing stopping me from trying it is...:cry: ....i cnt find a resturant here in east london!! imsad ...im so upset...i really want to try it!! & its like £80 a platter here...as i heard!! :raging: ...pls....someone recommend a resturant.....:cry:

OR...

someone tell me how to cook it!!!! in simple words! :) ...i'll buy it from the supermarket...it shall be cheap...but then how do i cook it....OMG!!! im going to do this within a week now.....:D

someone help me pls!..........:statisfie

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 09:16 PM
However, the average person is not capable of swimming deep enough to come face to face with a lobster.
no but they certainly are fat enough to sit in front of a lobster with it on their plate :).

And remember! your Lord caused to be declared (publicly): "If ye are grateful, I will add more (favours) unto you; But if ye show ingratitude, truly My punishment is terrible indeed."
[Qur'an 14:7]
jazakAllah khair bro.

:)

Mawaddah
03-22-2007, 09:19 PM
How to cook a lobster? :? I hear to cook it you just drop it alive in a pot of boiling water. And then when its done boiled and good and dead you take it out and then crack the shell and season it up and stuff.

Am I right or wrong?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 09:20 PM
How to cook a lobster? :? I hear to cook it you just drop it alive in a pot of boiling water. And then when its done boiled and good and dead you take it out and then crack the shell and season it up and stuff.

Am I right or wrong?
i think thats right. sounds like the way KFC treat chickens, im gonna tie myself to a tree soon....

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 09:21 PM

Am I right or wrong?
OMG!! thanks for that....:thumbs_up ....so now i no how to kill it :D ...OMG...that sounds bad!! how can i drop it alive in hot water????:cry:

(any good recipe tips for seasoning guys?)

Mawaddah
03-22-2007, 09:22 PM
i think thats right. sounds like the way KFC treat chickens, im gonna tie myself to a tree soon....

^ Well come to think of it, thats the only way you can kill a lobster anyway :confused:

In Malaysia I used to cook river snails. I would buy them from the market still alive and coated with mud, take them home, and chop off the top of their shells, trying to do all of them before they crawled out of the bowl and all over the floor. Then you drop them into the water. There's no other way to do it really with those types of stuff....

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 09:22 PM
hmmm...what gives u the urge for that? :?

Mawaddah
03-22-2007, 09:23 PM
OMG!! thanks for that....:thumbs_up ....so now i no how to kill it :D ...OMG...that sounds bad!! how can i drop it alive in hot water????:cry:

(any good recipe tips for seasoning guys?)
Butter and salt :D

You know how you cook up shrimps with butter?

Like that :thumbs_up

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
^ Well come to think of it, thats the only way you can kill a lobster anyway :confused:

In Malaysia I used to cook river snails. I would buy them from the market still alive and coated with mud, take them home, and chop off the top of their shells, trying to do all of them before they crawled out of the bowl and all over the floor. Then you drop them into the water. There's no other way to do it really with those types of stuff....
OMG....isnt snails haram??????? :X (forgive me if im wrong)

Woodrow
03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
It is a fallacy to believe they have to be cooked alive. But, they do spoil very fast after dying so that is where that comes from. I have always killed lobsters before cooking them. It is simple and can be done with no distress to the lobster.

Easier to show than try to explain so I wont go into the details as to how to painlessly kill one. Most good sea food cooks should know how.

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Butter and salt :D

You know how you cook up shrimps with butter?

Like that :thumbs_up
nah sis :giggling: ...i cook in bengali/indian style:phew ...everything is chilli-fied...and full of flavour.....butter on its own is rarely used.....Hmmm..........

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 09:27 PM
It is a fallacy to believe they have to be cooked alive. But, they do spoil very fast after dying so that is where that comes from. I have always killed lobsters before cooking them. It is simple and can be done with no distress to the lobster.

Easier to show than try to explain so I wont go into the details as to how to painlessly kill one. Most good sea food cooks should know how.
okay...dnt tell us...:cry: ...only joking!! :D ....basically chopping the head off? :? ..am i right?

Mawaddah
03-22-2007, 09:31 PM

Really Uncle? I've always read that they have to be boiled alive.....and they (the cooks and books) always say that they dont feel the pain anyway?

So how do you kill lobsters?

Woodrow
03-22-2007, 09:36 PM
okay...dnt tell us...:cry: ...only joking!! :D ....basically chopping the head off? :? ..am i right?
Close but faster and more humane. Stand them upside down, it renders them unconscious almost instantly then with a sharp knife sever the notochord and it kills them instantly.

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 09:36 PM
how long do i boil it for?

notocord??????? hmmm...ill have to search what that is....

amirah_87
03-22-2007, 09:37 PM

^ Hmm same here.

And I also heard that if they are killed or they die before they're boiled, their meat stiffens?

Is that true?

SATalha
03-22-2007, 09:39 PM
poison the lobstar, jus like the russians.:-[

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 09:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SATalha
poison the lobstar, jus like the russians.:-[
WHAT?????:? ....but then u'll get poisoned!!

Woodrow
03-22-2007, 09:43 PM
how long do i boil it for?
12 to 14 minutes per pound. It is very easy to overcook them and then they get real soft and mushy.

How Do I Know When The Lobster Is Cooked?

* Lobsters will turn their characteristic bright red color well before the meat is thoroughly cooked inside. Follow these easy tips to ensure that the lobster is cooked:
* Tug on an antennae or pull off one of the small walking legs. They both will come off easily when the lobster is done.
* The meat inside the lobster will be firm, white and opaque The tomalley, which fills much of the body cavity will be greenish-yellow.
* The roe in female lobsters will be bright orange-red and firm. If it is a dark greenish-black, with an oily tar-like consistency, the lobster is under cooked.
* The internal temperature will be 180oF (80oC)

Be careful not to overcook the lobster. Moderate overcooking causes toughening of the meat, shrinkage and loss of flavor; while extreme overcooking may cause the meat to fall apart or become mushy.

If the lobsters will not be eaten right away, they must be cooled quickly in ice-water. Drain the chilled lobsters, cover and keep refrigerated. You can keep cooked lobsters in your refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
Source: http://www.chilipaper.com/FWharf/Lob...er_cooking.htm

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 09:48 PM
^^ thanks woody!!

Woodrow
03-22-2007, 09:50 PM
The Notocord serves the same function as the spinal cord in animals that have back bones.

If kept chilled a dead lobster can still be edible the next day. Another easy way to kill a lobster is drop it in a pan of tap water. They drown very fast in fresh water. Not as fast as cutting the notocord but a lot more humane than dropping them in boiling water.

England
03-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Just smash it against the wall, if that don't work just stab it

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Just smash it against the wall, if that don't work just stab it
you horrible person.....i feel sorry for any lobster u will eat :cry:

England
03-22-2007, 10:05 PM
you horrible person.....i feel sorry for any lobster u will eat :cry:
I don't eat meat, lobster, fish or anything that used to live. I'm a vegan :D Just vegetables for me :)

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't eat meat, lobster, fish or anything that used to live. I'm a vegan :D Just vegetables for me :)
hope you dnt bash your vegies ...anyway who said vegetables arnt alive at one point? :?

Woodrow
03-22-2007, 10:12 PM
I just realised after looking more at the picture RAID should do the trick. DDT might be better if it is legal where you live.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 10:15 PM
oh man, i hate to have to tell you this but, recent discoveries say that plants have feelings. oh shux, oh suger!

England
03-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Plants shmants :D

I stab my potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and onions all the time... I'm evil like that :raging:

I'm not a vegan because I care about animals lol... It's a special diet, an eating disorder. Phenylketonuria

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Plants shmants :D

I stab my potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and onions all the time... I'm evil like that :raging:

I'm not a vegan because I care about animals lol... It's a special diet, an eating disorder. Phenylketonuria
lol no wonder you never get fat, so the truth comes out eh jolly :p

England
03-22-2007, 10:37 PM
lol no wonder you never get fat, so the truth comes out eh jolly :p
lol :D so there you have it... I'm not skinny though like most people picture veggies. Average weight for my age.

noodles
03-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Speaking of lobsters, has anyone tried goat brain? Or goat eyes? How about intestines.

;D

Have I grossed anyone out yet?

Well to be honest, eyes and brain do taste quite good. As for the intestines, its OK.

Alot of people in india eat these.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 10:47 PM
my mums tried to get me to have fish eyes many times. As you'd have guessed i would much rather chew on a piece of wood :)

England
03-22-2007, 11:39 PM
How about eating bull's testicle? They do that in south America I think it is. It's supposed taste nice.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-22-2007, 11:45 PM
^^major +o(. brain is good...i forgot for what animal tho :X lol prolly is goat.

Woodrow
03-22-2007, 11:47 PM
This has become an incentive to stick to dried fruits and nuts.

deen_2007
03-22-2007, 11:50 PM
^^ lol....

yep iv tried lamb brain long back...it tastes like scambled egg!!! lol....i havnt tried eyes!!! eek...never will....

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-22-2007, 11:53 PM
lol @ scrambled egg. yea i dont think i can try eyes. i cant eat them while they be starin at ma face!! :offended:

noodles
03-23-2007, 12:01 AM
How about intestines?

When I was in india, my uncle made this dish called 'chakna' which was basically chopped intestines [goat] and put alot of spices. So I came home and ate it thinking it was something else. And it tasted good too.

Later on he revealed to me what it was and my jaw figuratively, hit the floor!!

:)

deen_2007
03-23-2007, 12:11 AM
^^ ok brother...i'll admit it....i liked the dish!!!!!!!!!!!...its chewy and nice textured!! never knew what it was 1st!!! yeah regarding the eye...eww........never never never!!

OMG...this topics gone from Lobster TO intestines!!! lol

north_malaysian
03-23-2007, 01:29 AM

In Malaysia I used to cook river snails....
"River Snails"? I mean... like escargots? :rollseyes

Lina
03-23-2007, 01:32 AM

Wow, 8 pages.

Count DeSheep
03-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Not for long. Someone's bound to come up with something sickening about them. +o(

Muezzin
03-23-2007, 03:00 PM
But nuts are fattening...

'Pukka' that, Oliver! :p

Keltoi
03-23-2007, 06:35 PM
I ate a rattlesnake once...tastes like tough chicken.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-23-2007, 06:36 PM
^^:eek: +o(

MTAFFI
03-23-2007, 06:43 PM
I ate dog once at the China Wok....LOL....j/k:giggling:

SirZubair
03-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Never had lobsters, don't really care if i never do.

As long as i have my Daily Dose of Tuna. :D Tuna is the only seafood i have ( on a daily basis ) and have Prawns once every few months... unless i am traveling by Singapore or Malaysian AirLines, ... they serve it for breakfast, lunch, dinner.... get abit sick of it by the 3rd meal. +o(

IbnAbdulHakim
03-23-2007, 06:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Never had lobsters, don't really care if i never do.

As long as i have my Daily Dose of Tuna. :D Tuna is the only seafood i have ( on a daily basis ) and have Prawns once every few months... unless i am traveling by Singapore or Malaysian AirLines, ... they serve it for breakfast, lunch, dinner.... get abit sick of it by the 3rd meal. +o(
your telling me you dont have sardines? :eek:

SirZubair
03-23-2007, 07:09 PM
your telling me you dont have sardines? :eek:
Like i said,... Tuna and Prawns. Nothing more, nothing less ;)

If i go one day without my protein intake ( Tuna ) i feel crappy all day.. :cry: As for Prawns, i try to avoid it as much as i can, 'cos it is : a ) Makruh b ) cholesterol level will go sky high!

Tiger_Stripes
03-23-2007, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
I've never had lobster, its one of my ambitions in life.
Lobster is haram.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-23-2007, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tiger_Stripes
Lobster is haram.
is it because tis a shell fish?

i was thinking that too lets find out for sure

Question
1. Me and my wife are planning to go for hajj this year, however we still have a mortgage outstanding on our home. Is it permissable for us to go to hajj even though we will carry on paying interest on our return?

2. We are in the process of making a will in the event of our death. We have two young children, a girl and a boy, are we allowed under islamic law to leave them equal parts of our estate?

3. We follow the hanafi madhab, can you please clarify for us whether calamari, crab, lobster and prawns are halaal or haraam. If haraam can you please explain the reason why?

Answer
1.It is permissible to go for hajj in that state.

2.According to the Islamic Law of Inheritance and Succession, a son will receive double share in relation to a daughter. It is incorrect to stipulate equal shares for a son and daughter.

3.According to the Hanafi Madhab, crab is not permissible. Only fish is permissible. There are differences of opinion among the Ulama about prawns being a fish or not. In view of that, there is a leeway to eat prawns. It is Taqwa to abstain from eating anything doubtful. It is not permissible to eat lobsters and calamari as they are not considered as fish.
And Allah Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

SirZubair
03-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for posting that bro.

That is the very reason i will never touch Lobsters, and the reason why i try to avoid Prawns, but do have them time to time.

deen_2007
03-23-2007, 08:26 PM
^^ okay.....now im confused!! if prawns are allowed...then y not lobster...i see it as a giant prawn!! it has everything like a prawn...its just hugh compared to it. and probably taste a little different...lol....

so anyone have any sources indicating its halal or mokru?

SirZubair
03-24-2007, 01:02 AM
^^ okay.....now im confused!! if prawns are allowed...then y not lobster...i see it as a giant prawn!! it has everything like a prawn...its just hugh compared to it. and probably taste a little different...lol....

so anyone have any sources indicating its halal or mokru?
Check out this website :

http://www.askimam.org/search/keywor...&Submit=Search

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.