/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Haram/Halal foods-What, when, How- Problems related to.

noahs_arc
03-21-2007, 06:44 PM
which sea food are haram?

cause we eat cod/fish/tuna

but i have heard we cannot eat animals which can come out of the water i.e dolphins.

we can eat everything under the sea? is this true?

what about crab and lobster?
prawns?

anybody know?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2007, 06:46 PM
:salamext:

sis about questions like this best to visit

www.askimam.org :D

but i can tell you that haram means forbidden and it means Allah forbade it :)

Ra`eesah
03-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

According to the majority of the Scholars they are halal, permissible to eat however, according to Imam Abu Hanifa they are makrooh, disliked.

vpb
03-21-2007, 06:56 PM
According to the majority of the Scholars they are halal, permissible to eat however, according to Imam Abu Hanifa they are makrooh, disliked.
what is makruh? cod/fish/tuna ?? or crab and lobster?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2007, 06:57 PM
i think sea food with shells are makhruh

ALlahu a'lam

vpb
03-21-2007, 06:58 PM
what about shrimps?

Ra`eesah
03-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Shell fish i.e lobster, prawns, crab.

vpb
03-21-2007, 07:00 PM
is shrimps same as prawns?

Ra`eesah
03-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Assalamu’Alaykum

Yes it is, Prawns are just bigger then Shrimp.

The reason why they are Makrooh (disliked) according to Imam Abu Haifa’s Qiyas “ Analogical deduction,” is because they are both sea and land creatures, meaning they can survive both in the land and in the sea. While he defined the ayah from the Quran as being every creature that is in the sea Halal, he did not include shellfish. Other scholars however, took it literally and said it is every creature in the sea.

So in the end either opinion you take, you are fine Insha`Allaah.

siFilam
03-21-2007, 07:17 PM
For those living in the US and Canada there is a website muslimconsumergroup.com. Its very helpful and provides list of haram and halal food. Also, they provide guidelines to judge haram and halal food, like the junkfood and other products. Hope this helps.
wasalam
-SI-

AnonymousPoster
04-21-2007, 08:06 PM
:sl: i made a big mistake today i was so hungry so my auntie came home with chicken burgers that were not halal and i had 1:( now i feel even worse knowin that my prayer and dua will not be answered fo 40 dayz and sum1 told me that there is no point praying or makin dua since it wont be answered o accepted:cry:

AnonymousPoster
04-21-2007, 08:14 PM
:sl: yes but if it wont be counted so i am praying and make dua but its for no reason because it was in a hadith i think that it said that you are in a cursed state or something like that. i feel so hopeless what if i die before the 40 days end?
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Kittygyal
04-21-2007, 08:14 PM
salamualikum.
Did you know that they were Haram? ask for forgivness from Allah subhwnatallah, if you did know they were haram then i heard one should fast for 40days something along those line allah hu alim am not 100% sure tho will find out inshallah :)
Ma'assalama

AnonymousPoster
04-21-2007, 08:24 PM
:sl: :(i did know. i feel bad please can any1 tell me what do exactly?

FatimaAsSideqah
04-21-2007, 08:32 PM
:sl:

Don't worry too much..Allah Ta'ala always Forgiving...but you should keep repenting and do Istikhara prayer...next time you cannot do eat haram foods again..ok?

AnonymousPoster
04-21-2007, 08:35 PM
:sl: I swear by allah swt i will not do this again i hadnt had non halal food since i been practisin today i slipped up:cry:
de only bit thas scaring me is prayers wont be answered for 40 days i dont want to die as a kufar

Rhubarb Tart
04-21-2007, 08:35 PM
was there any food to eat other than the non-halal? Because if there werent it would be permissable to eat it. I think it said it somewhere in the quran; that if ur so hungry and there not halal food, you can eat the non halal. My iman told me this; you can even eat pig. But that if there was no halal food nearby.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-21-2007, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester
:sl: I swear by allah swt i will not do this again i hadnt had non halal food since i been practisin today i slipped up:cry:
de only bit thas scaring me is prayers wont be answered for 40 days i dont want to die as a kufar

Just keep dua and prayer..because Allah Ta'ala tests you and He knows your heart that you are upset and that you know that is wrong..Allah knows it! If you keep prayer and dua for forgiveness..He will forgive you and remove your sins...InshAllah!

You are not alone..most of Muslims been mistakes!
:statisfie

AnonymousPoster
04-21-2007, 08:38 PM
:sl: sis no i wasnt in a starvin position there was other food which i did not like (NOT A EXCUSE) but like a idiot that i am i choose that stupid burger!
I Feel like cryin because the though of prayers not bein accepted is too scary to think about:cry:

AnonymousPoster
04-21-2007, 08:41 PM

Just keep dua and prayer..because Allah Ta'ala tests you and He knows your heart that you are upset and that you know that is wrong..Allah knows it! If you keep prayer and dua for forgiveness..He will forgive you and remove your sins...InshAllah!

You are not alone..most of Muslims been mistakes!

:sl: sis does this mean that there is a chance of my prayer bein accepted even now? even before the 40 days? or after? sorry bit confused.

hissa
04-21-2007, 08:41 PM
:sl: i made a big mistake today i was so hungry so my auntie came home with chicken burgers that were not halal and i had 1:( now i feel even worse knowin that my prayer and dua will not be answered fo 40 dayz and sum1 told me that there is no point praying or makin dua since it wont be answered o accepted:cry:
What? I don't think that if u eat non-halal, your prayer won't be accepted for 40 days. Isn't that only for a person who visits a fortune teller? Unless, there's a hadith or verse that proves otherwise, I think that you're incorrect on this.

- Qatada -
04-21-2007, 08:42 PM

The case of eating/drinking the impermissible is only in the case of when one's dying ^

Permitting the Dead Animals in Conditions of Necessity

Allah said,

[فَمَنِ اضْطُرَّ فِى مَخْمَصَةٍ غَيْرَ مُتَجَانِفٍ لإِثْمٍ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ]

(But as for him who is forced by severe hunger, with no inclination to sin (such can eat these above mentioned animals), then surely, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.) Therefore, when one is forced to take any of the impermissible things that Allah mentioned to meet a necessity, he is allowed and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful with him. Allah is well aware of His servant's needs during dire straits, and He will forgive and pardon His servant in this case. In the Musnad and the Sahih of Ibn Hibban, it is recorded that Ibn `Umar said that Messenger of Allah said,

«إنَّ اللهَ يُحِبُّ أَنْ تُؤْتَى رُخْصَتُهُ كَمَا يَكْرَهُ أَنْ تُؤْتَى مَعْصِيَتُه»

(Allah likes that His Rukhsah (allowance) be used, just as He dislikes that disobedience to Him is committed.) We should mention here that it is not necessary for one to wait three days before eating the meat of dead animals, as many unlettered Muslims mistakenly think. Rather, one can eat such meat when the dire need arises. Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Waqid Al-Laythi said that the Companions asked, "O Messenger of Allah! We live in a land where famine often strikes us. Therefore, when are we allowed to eat the meat of dead animals'' The Prophet replied,

«إِذَا لَمْ تَصْطَبِحُوا، وَلَمْ تَغْتَبِقُوا،وَلَمْ تَخْتَفِئُوا بَقْلًا فَشَأْنُكُمْ بِهَا»

(When you neither find food for lunch and dinner nor have any produce to eat, then eat from it.) Only Imam Ahmad collected this narration and its chain meets the criteria of the Two Sahihs. Allah said,

[غَيْرَ مُتَجَانِفٍ لإِثْمٍ]

(with no inclination to sin,) meaning, one does not incline to commit what Allah has prohibited. Allah has allowed one when necessity arises to eat from what He otherwise prohibits, under the condition that his heart does not incline to eat what Allah prohibited. Allah said in Surat Al-Baqarah,

[فَمَنِ اضْطُرَّ غَيْرَ بَاغٍ وَلاَ عَادٍ فَلاَ إِثْمَ عَلَيْهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ]

(But if one is forced by necessity without willful disobedience nor transgressing due limits, then there is no sin on him. Truly, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.) Some scholars used this Ayah as evidence that those who travel for the purpose of committing an act of disobedience are not allowed to use any of the legal concessions of travel, because these concessions are not earned through sin, and Allah knows best.

http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=5&tid=13268

To the original poster - continue repenting and keep praying your salaah's since that is ordered of you. We will also pray for your forgiveness inshaa Allaah, and please don't give up hope of the Mercy of Allaah.

On the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him), who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) say: Allah the Almighty said:

O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great at it.

It was related by at-Tirmidhi (also by Ahmad ibn Hanbal). Its chain of authorities is sound.

In regard to the question - i think you should consult a scholar inshaa Allaah.

Here's a good link where you could ask the question:
http://www.islamtoday.net/english/fatawa_form.cfm

And continue in your salaah and repentance, knowing that Allaah will forgive you since He knows your sincerety inshaa Allaah.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-21-2007, 08:47 PM
:sl: sis does this mean that there is a chance of my prayer bein accepted even now? even before the 40 days? or after? sorry bit confused.
You should prayer 5 times a day and Allah will ready to remove your sins but only Allah knows best and Fi_Sabilillah gives very good advice!

You won't be die as kufr because you knows it is wrong and you been struggled to get back right of the path as we do same..that is good and Allah knows it!

Hope it will helped you, InshAllah!

AnonymousPoster
04-21-2007, 08:50 PM
:sl: thanx sister. fisabillah that makes me feel better thanx bro

FatimaAsSideqah
04-21-2007, 08:51 PM

No problem as you welcome!

AnonymousPoster
04-21-2007, 08:54 PM
plz dont attack me wat about if i feel make myself sick? i kno allah swt wont forgive simply cuz of that but at least it be out of my sistem

FatimaAsSideqah
04-21-2007, 08:57 PM

don't do it..because it is bad for your health and Allah Ta'ala will remove dirty stuff out from your body if you keep repenting and ask for forgiveness...I am advice you don't make urself to sick..it is haram in Islam..

- Qatada -
04-21-2007, 08:57 PM

I really don't know, i think you should consult a scholar as stated earlier.. since none of us really know what you can do in this situation - but what we do know is you should continue in repentance and salaah, because if you give that up - then you're just throwing yourself into something even worse.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-21-2007, 09:01 PM

^ Agreed..but I am tell you that Shaytan who did whispered at you to done that..simply thing is you pray...I seek refuge in Allah from the cursed of Shaytan..

AnonymousPoster
04-21-2007, 09:04 PM
:sl: ameen, ok i wont do dat i am jus going to pray and repent and isha allah allah swt will forgive me and turn my sins into good deeds. jazak`allah kheiR

FatimaAsSideqah
04-21-2007, 09:06 PM

That is good to hear...

May Allah Ta'ala guides you to right of path!

AnonymousPoster
04-21-2007, 09:13 PM
:sl: Ameen

MustafaMc
04-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Perhaps a more knowledgeable brother/sister can shed more light on food that is haram (forbidden) and what is halal (permissable). I am sure that zabiha mat slaughtered according to Islamic procedures is halal and that pork/swine is haram. What about meat in USA groceries and restaurants? Perhaps Br. Fi_sabillah has a link to a reputable fatwa that can give guidance.

Kittygyal
04-21-2007, 09:33 PM
:sl: :(i did know. i feel bad please can any1 tell me what do exactly?
salamualikum.
As you knew as for forgivness
Ma'assalama

SirZubair
04-21-2007, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
was there any food to eat other than the non-halal? Because if there werent it would be permissable to eat it. I think it said it somewhere in the quran; that if ur so hungry and there not halal food, you can eat the non halal. My iman told me this; you can even eat pig. But that if there was no halal food nearby.
Yes, that is true.

ONLY if it is absolutly necessary. If there is NOTHING halal around the house, then yes, one can resort to eating Pigs and other Haram food.

But in this time and age, there are SHOPS all over the place, halal food is so easily available.

Unless you are stranded on an island and there is NOTHING around for you to consume (halal) then you can resort to eating something haram. But like i said,... in time and age, there is no reason why one should do such a thing.

Medina83
04-30-2007, 01:16 PM
How was a chicken burger haram?
Did it have pork mixed in with it?

FatimaAsSideqah
04-30-2007, 01:24 PM

Her auntie provided her non halal chicken burger...

Medina83
05-01-2007, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by RighteousLady

Her auntie provided her non halal chicken burger...

This what i dont understand sorry, you need to go back to basics with me...
Chicken is a halal meat...???

FatimaAsSideqah
05-01-2007, 10:28 PM

Ok I will try to explain more clear to you.

AnonymousGender said:

i made a big mistake today i was so hungry so my auntie came home with chicken burgers that were not halal and i had 1 now i feel even worse knowin that my prayer and dua will not be answered fo 40 dayz and sum1 told me that there is no point praying or makin dua since it wont be answered o accepted
You can see it more clear..understand it as I hope so..

Medina83
05-02-2007, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by RighteousLady

Ok I will try to explain more clear to you.

AnonymousGender said:

You can see it more clear..understand it as I hope so..

Ok i'll just leave it, you're just repeating yourself and so am i.
I have no idea how a chicken burger cannot be halal unless theres some other non-halal ingredient in it. Im only asking in case theres something i need to be looking out for myself or something i dont know.

- Qatada -
05-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Asalaamu 'alykum.

Yeah, chicken is a halaal meat - however when they sacrifice it - they have to mention Allaah's name over it. If Allaah's name isn't mentioned over it, or if someone elses name is mentioned over it - then we're not allowed to eat that meat. And Allaah knows best.

I think thats what the sister means.

Medina83
05-02-2007, 10:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Asalaamu 'alykum.

Yeah, chicken is a halaal meat - however when they sacrifice it - they have to mention Allaah's name over it. If Allaah's name isn't mentioned over it, or if someone elses name is mentioned over it - then we're not allowed to eat that meat. And Allaah knows best.

I think thats what the sister means.
BarakAllahu fiqh brother
mmm, on the issue itself, all the texts I've read just mention that the meat is only haram if someone elses name is mentioned over it.

I havent seen anything before which stated that the name of Allah must be mentioned over it to be halal?

- Qatada -
05-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Asalaamu 'alykum.

I think the evidence is this inshaa Allaah:

If it is not known how the meat was slaughtered, but it is thought that it was most likely slaughtered in the Islamic manner, because it comes from a country where most of the people are Muslims or People of the Book, then it is sufficient to mention the name of Allaah when eating. But if it is known that it was slaughtered in a manner that is not Islamic, then it is not permissible to eat it, because it comes under the ruling of maytah (dead meat), and Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Eat not (O believers) of that (meat) on which Allaah’s Name has not been pronounced (at the time of the slaughtering of the animal)” [al-An’aam 6:121]

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=6509&ln=eng&txt=

And Allaah knows best.

SirZubair
05-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Medina83, are there any scholars/alims/muftis in your locality?

If so, contact one of them and ask them to teach you the basics of Islam.

Medina83
05-02-2007, 01:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Medina83, are there any scholars/alims/muftis in your locality?

If so, contact one of them and ask them to teach you the basics of Islam.
Is that well intentioned SirZubair or are you trying to indirectly imply something?

How meat is classified is not one of the basics the last time I checked, I believe those are the 5 pillars of Islam.

I'm only asking an honest question, I looked into this and thats what I found.

Jazak Allah Fi_Sabilillah for your help

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.