/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A question on some verses in the Qur'an

don532
03-22-2007, 02:52 AM
Greetings all.

I am continuing to read and study. I have what I think is a simple question that I cannot seem to find the answer to in my reading.

In Surah 2, there are some verses that say we took a covenant from the children of Israel. Who is the we being spoken of?

Thank you and peace to all.

edit: I am finding other verses that refer to a we. I am assuming these refer to the same we, correct, or would it be preferred for me to list them as I find them?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NoName55
03-22-2007, 03:04 AM
greetings
verse number please!

usually we = a royal I

I say "I Did"

A regal personage somtimes might say "we did"

Peace

Woodrow
03-22-2007, 03:04 AM
You will notice that throughout the Semetic languages Arabic, Aramaic and Hebrew the word that is commonly translated as We is a used to denote Allah(swt). This is a sign of an exalted person. It is also often used in English royalty too to refer to the words of a king or queen. The English translations in the Bible also use it to mean God(swt)

It is not intended as a plurality like when we type on this forum.

don532
03-22-2007, 03:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
greetings
verse number please!

usually we = a roayal I

I say "I Did"

A regal personage somtimes might say "we did"

Peace
2:34, 35, 38, 63, 66, 73, 83, 84, 87 and others.
I understand now. Thank you NoName and Woodrow. That makes sense.

Peace.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.