/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Best Way to Memorise the Noble Quran

- Qatada -
01-14-2006, 02:15 PM
:salamext:

The
Best Way to Memorise the Noble Quran according to my Personal Experience
By Dr. Yahya al-Ghouthani, Jeddah (world leading Quranic recitation authority)
Translated by Abu Muqatil – may Allah be forgiving to him and his parents

In light of the principles which have passed us by in the previous section, I say to whoever wants to memorize a page from the Noble Quran from any chapter that I hope that you will stay with me so we can read the following steps together at ease paving the way to apply it precisely.

1. [Obtain a good mus-haf ]
Try to obtain a good copy of the Quran whose size is according to your need and never ever replace it so that you will be strong in memorising the parts of the pages and the lines. The mus-haf al-huffaaz (the memorisers’ codex) [i.e. the text of the popular green edition from Madina written by the world famous calligrapher, Ta Ha Uthman] is preferred which starts with the verse at the start of the page and finishes with the last verse, and it is divided up well, whereby the Quran being thirty juz` (parts), every juz` has 20 pages and every page has 25 lines. The King Fahd organization in Medina al-Munawwarah has built a printer for this copy and I advice getting it as it is the most accurate contemporary print.

2. [Set the scene]
Setting the scene for memorization according to the following:-
i. Self-composure - Have the correct intention in mind and a desire for reward from Allah
ii. Wudoo` (ablution) and complete purity - Do not take the easy option of those who give a fatwa (legal edict) for its opposite as that goes against what befits high regard of the Speech of Allah and good manners with it.
iii. [Comfortable setting] - Sitting in a place where you feel at ease, and there is no more sacred place than the mosque.
iv. [Free of distractions] - It is preferred that it is a place without many pictures, carvings, decorations and distractions. The more enclosed the place is - with all due regards to fresh air - the better, compared with open space, trees and gardens. Even if some may differ with me, but I say this based upon experience not from abstract thinking. The atmosphere for light reading is different from the atmosphere for focused memorization, as wide spaces, sceneries and trees distract the mind and focus. Whatever is suitable for light reading is not needed for genuine work and focus, as mentioned in rule 4.
v. Face the Qibla - (direction of prayer towards Mecca) and sit in a state of submission, tranquility and respect.
3. [“Warm up”]
Begin the “warm up” process (for want of a better expression). It is the preparation where you read a few pages of the Quran before starting the memorization process, whether from memory or looking.

Recite nicely, listening to yourself without haste or delay.

This is a fundamental component in preparing the self. You will find many successful memorization teachers do not allow the student to memorize before getting them to revise the previous session and letting the sheikh hear. This is to prepare him psychologically and spiritually for memorization, whilst the student may be totally unaware of the teacher's aim.

4. [Be controlled in recitation]
Beware of your voice’s beauty from distracting you at this point. The sweetness of your tone encompasses you in the atmosphere of chanting. So you start thinking that you’re so-and-so, the famous reciter, then you assume his persona and start to recite with deliberation and perfecting the letters. You repeat it and recite it again like some of the reciters. Perhaps it all goes over the top and you bring out a microphone and recording equipment. Time will pass by whilst you are unaware, and you become like that young man who really wanted to memorize the Quran but every time he sat down to memorize he opened the Quran at 7-rah Y-suf and began to chant it until the time passed him by and he memorized absolutely nothing.

5. [“Feel that urge…”]
About 10-15 minutes of the warm up exercise and personal preparation you will feel a strong desire in yourself to memorize, with that it is possible for you to start with a new page you want to memorize.

6. [Focus]
Here begins an important stage, you really have to doubly focus on the verses. Imagine that your eye is a camera lens, and that you want to film the page with sound and image. Be careful not to shake the camera.

7. [“Action!”]
Open your eyes well. Free your mind from any distraction. Read by looking at the first verse at the top of the page in an audible voice with tajweed [the correct rules of recitation]. Read correctly with concentration. Lets use an as example His statement, the Most High:

سيقول السفهاء من الناس ما ولاهم عن قبلتهم التي كانوا عليها قل لله المشرق والمغرب يهدي من يشاء إلى صراط مستقيم

The fools among the people will say, "What has turned them from their prayer direction to which they were used to face in prayer." Say, "To Allah belong both, east and the west. He guides whom He wills to a Straight Way.” [2:142]

Read three or more times until your mind takes it all in, then close your eyes and picture in your mind the places of the words and read them. If you succeed in reading them completely without any mistake, don’t get excited but instead repeat two, three or five times.

8. [Repeat]
Then open your eyes a second time. Read the same verse from the book to confirm the correctness of your memorization. If you are certain that you’ve memorized it correctly, don’t get excited. Instead close your eyes and read another time. With this you have chiseled in your mind an engraving that is impossible to disappear with the permission of Allah, the Most High. Try the steps carefully, you will definitely find this approach sound.

Note: During the process of recall and repetition, be careful not to divert your gaze to the things around you such as written notices distributed upon walls, posters, artwork, or décor. Do not follow a whirling fan. Do not be concerned about the type of furniture or coverings you’re sitting on. Be careful of excessively looking out of the windows, perhaps your eyes will chance upon something that will not please you, or perhaps you will be distracted by the scene of people in the street, or the scene of cars as happens to students during their revision for their exams. One of them stands at the window with the excuse of getting fresh air, then there he takes a census of cars based upon make and model, and in this manner time passes him and is wasted whilst he hasn’t benefited a single thing.

You have no business with these distractions, my brother. You have put yourself forward as someone from the people of the Quran and from its memorizers, and that requires motivation, perseverance, focus and an absence of distractions.

9. [Next verse]
After that move to the verse immediately following it:

…وكذلك جعلناكم أمة وسطا
Thus we have made you a middle nation…[2:143]

and begin with the same steps we outlined with the previous verse. If you think the verse is long, then divide it into several parts corresponding to correct and sound stops and normal meanings. Then repeat and repeat many times until it is engraved deeply in your memory.

10. [Connection process]
Begin now with the connection process which I mentioned in the eighth rule of memorization. That is by opening the book and focusing on the last part of the first verse – for example – إلى صراط مستقيم and read it with an audible voice then connect it quickly without any stop with the first part of the second verse وكذلك جعلناكم أمة وسطا. Repeat this process many times but no less than five times.

After reading these steps – if you like them – begin implementing them straight away and record in a special notebook the date of beginning memorization. Contact someone you love and trust, and then tell them that you have found a technique in memorizing the Quran that you began applying today, so that you can be someone who guides to good.

One of the benefits of contacting someone like this is that it will be an encouragement for you in memorization and continuation, as it reflects an increased conviction in oneself with what you’ve read.

This is what is confirmed in psychology, if a person does something and he convinces someone else about it, then it is like taking a firm stance without retracting from it and his behavior increases his conviction in what he does.

It is possible to summarize this method in the following steps:-
1.Personal composure
2.Warm up
3.Concentration
4.Repetition
5.Connecting
Result = a strong memorization with the best method.

Source: Kayfa Tahfaz al-Qur`aan al-Kareem (“How to Memorise the Noble Quran”)

SOURCE: http://talk.islamicnetwork.com/showthread.php?t=5643

:wasalamex

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khaldun
01-14-2006, 02:32 PM
:sl:

Another quick thing to add, is be vigilant! The Quran repeats itself and the student might think, wow mashAllah I know this! And recites heedless. Example:

وَأُتْبِعُواْ فِي هَـذِهِ الدُّنْيَا لَعْنَةً وَيَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ أَلا إِنَّ عَادًا كَفَرُواْ رَبَّهُمْ أَلاَ بُعْدًا لِّعَادٍ قَوْمِ هُودٍ

and

وَأُتْبِعُواْ فِي هَـذِهِ لَعْنَةً وَيَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ بِئْسَ الرِّفْدُ الْمَرْفُودُ

At a quick glance they might seem similar but looking carefully one will realise they arent. It is important for the memoriser to avoid these mistakes.

Takumi
01-14-2006, 02:35 PM
thanks. that was refreshing.

Snowflake
01-14-2006, 07:36 PM
MashaAllah good tips there!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
oneumah
01-15-2006, 10:03 PM
goodness hayih, i hardly do any of those things. i read the quran whenever, wherever, however---r some of those tips mendetory????
salam

- Qatada -
01-15-2006, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by oneumah
goodness hayih, i hardly do any of those things. i read the quran whenever, wherever, however---r some of those tips mendetory????
salam

No sis.. there just tips to make it easier to learn the qur'an off by heart insha Allaah.

afriend
01-16-2006, 12:04 AM
Jazaakallah 4 the Post bro.....as u know i am becoming a haafiz so this will help inshallah.....

May Allah give you the reward of Teaching someone a the Quraan.

Ameen

oneumah
01-16-2006, 09:42 PM
salam
glad to hear that. well, the best way to memorize the quran to parctice it. we all know surat alhamdu better than any other surah coz we read it everday. a lot of hafid(quran memorizers) have told me that you can memorize the quran by read it everyday from the book.

did u know that if you read a 4 pages every salat, so that totals to a jus or a chapter a day and you're done reading the whole quran within a month.
4*5= 20 pg everday
20*30= 600 pg month (whole quran) cool ah!!!!!!

DaSangarTalib
03-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Good thread ALLAHU AKBAR!!

hidaayah
03-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Mashallah..!! jazakallah khairun..

IbnAbdulHakim
03-30-2006, 01:49 PM
alhamdullilah!!! inshaAllah i will implement this knowledge!

JazakAllah khair akhee :)

04-05-2006, 12:12 PM
That was really useful!! I think i'll tell my brother coz he's memorizing the Quran.
Salaam:thankyou:

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 10:27 PM

I had to share this! From Awlaki's - Understing the Qur'an

Abdullah Ibn 'Umar took 14 years to memorise surah baqara. He radhiallahu anhu was so happy that he had a waleema! lol like a wedding :D ! Seems like a long time? Any of us could do it in a month or a year right? But subhanAllah these sahabi they take 10 ayyat, learn the meaning, implement it, take the ilm behind it, TURN IT INTO A SECOND NATURE and then move on!

By Dr. Yahya al-Ghouthani, Jeddah (world leading Quranic recitation authority)

Translated by Abu Muqatil – may Allah be forgiving to him and his parents

In light of the principles which have passed us by in the previous section, I say to whoever wants to memorize a page from the Noble Quran from any chapter that I hope that you will stay with me so we can read the following steps together at ease paving the way to apply it precisely.

1. Obtain a good mus-haf

Try to obtain a good copy of the Quran whose size is according to your need and never ever replace it so that you will be strong in memorising the parts of the pages and the lines. The mus-haf al-huffaaz (the memorisers’ codex) [i.e. the text of the popular green edition from Madina written by the world famous calligrapher, Ta Ha Uthman] is preferred which starts with the verse at the start of the page and finishes with the last verse, and it is divided up well, whereby the Quran being thirty juz` (parts), every juz` has 20 pages and every page has 25 lines. The King Fahd organization in Medina al-Munawwarah has built a printer for this copy and I advice getting it as it is the most accurate contemporary print.

2. Set the scene

Setting the scene for memorization according to the following:-

i. Self-composure - Have the correct intention in mind and a desire for reward from Allah

ii. Wudoo` (ablution) and complete purity - Do not take the easy option of those who give a fatwa (legal edict) for its opposite as that goes against what befits high regard of the Speech of Allah and good manners with it.

iii. Comfortable setting - Sitting in a place where you feel at ease, and there is no more sacred place than the mosque.

iv. Free of distractions - It is preferred that it is a place without many pictures, carvings, decorations and distractions. The more enclosed the place is - with all due regards to fresh air - the better, compared with open space, trees and gardens. Even if some may differ with me, but I say this based upon experience not from abstract thinking. The atmosphere for light reading is different from the atmosphere for focused memorization, as wide spaces, sceneries and trees distract the mind and focus. Whatever is suitable for light reading is not needed for genuine work and focus, as mentioned in rule 4.

v. Face the Qibla - (direction of prayer towards Mecca) and sit in a state of submission, tranquillity and respect.

3. “Warm up”

Begin the “warm up” process (for want of a better expression). It is the preparation where you read a few pages of the Quran before starting the memorization process, whether from memory or looking.

Recite nicely, listening to yourself without haste or delay.

This is a fundamental component in preparing the self. You will find many successful memorization teachers do not allow the student to memorize before getting them to revise the previous session and letting the sheikh hear. This is to prepare him psychologically and spiritually for memorization, whilst the student may be totally unaware of the teacher’s aim.

4. Be controlled in recitation

Beware of your voice’s beauty from distracting you at this point. The sweetness of your tone encompasses you in the atmosphere of chanting. So you start thinking that you’re so-and-so, the famous reciter, then you assume his persona and start to recite with deliberation and perfecting the letters. You repeat it and recite it again like some of the reciters. Perhaps it all goes over the top and you bring out a microphone and recording equipment. Time will pass by whilst you are unaware, and you become like that young man who really wanted to memorize the Quran but every time he sat down to memorize he opened the Quran at 7-rah Y-suf and began to chant it until the time passed him by and he memorized absolutely nothing.

5. “Feel that urge…”

About 10-15 minutes of the warm up exercise and personal preparation you will feel a strong desire in yourself to memorize, with that it is possible for you to start with a new page you want to memorize.

6. Focus

Here begins an important stage, you really have to doubly focus on the verses. Imagine that your eye is a camera lens, and that you want to film the page with sound and image. Be careful not to shake the camera.

7. “Action!”

Open your eyes well. Free your mind from any distraction. Read by looking at the first verse at the top of the page in an audible voice with tajw5d [the correct rules of recitation]. Read correctly with concentration. Lets use an as example His statement, the Most High:

سيقول السفهاء من الناس ما ولاهم عن قبلتهم التي كانوا عليها قل لله المشرق والمغرب يهدي من يشاء إلى صراط مستقيم

The fools among the people will say, “What has turned them from their prayer direction to which they were used to face in prayer.” Say, “To Allah belong both, east and the west. He guides whom He wills to a Straight Way.” [2:142]

Read three or more times until your mind takes it all in, then close your eyes and picture in your mind the places of the words and read them. If you succeed in reading them completely without any mistake, don’t get excited but instead repeat two, three or five times.

8. Repeat

Then open your eyes a second time. Read the same verse from the book to confirm the correctness of your memorization. If you are certain that you’ve memorized it correctly, don’t get excited. Instead close your eyes and read another time. With this you have chiselled in your mind an engraving that is impossible to disappear with the permission of Allah, the Most High. Try the steps carefully, you will definitely find this approach sound.

Note: During the process of recall and repetition, be careful not to divert your gaze to the things around you such as written notices distributed upon walls, posters, artwork, or décor. Do not follow a whirling fan. Do not be concerned about the type of furniture or coverings you’re sitting on. Be careful of excessively looking out of the windows, perhaps your eyes will chance upon something that will not please you, or perhaps you will be distracted by the scene of people in the street, or the scene of cars as happens to students during their revision for their exams. One of them stands at the window with the excuse of getting fresh air, then there he takes a census of cars based upon make and model, and in this manner time passes him and is wasted whilst he hasn’t benefited a single thing.

You have no business with these distractions, my brother. You have put yourself forward as someone from the people of the Quran and from its memorizers, and that requires motivation, perseverance, focus and an absence of distractions.

9. Next verse

After that move to the verse immediately following it:

…وكذلك جعلناكم أمة وسطا

Thus we have made you a middle nation…[2:143]

and begin with the same steps we outlined with the previous verse. If you think the verse is long, then divide it into several parts corresponding to correct and sound stops and normal meanings. Then repeat and repeat many times until it is engraved deeply in your memory.

10. Connection process

Begin now with the connection process which I mentioned in the eighth rule of memorization. That is by opening the book and focusing on the last part of the first verse – for example – إلى صراط مستقيم …and read it with an audible voice then connect it quickly without any stop with the first part of the second verse وكذلك جعلناكم أمة وسطا. Repeat this process many times but no less than five times.

After reading these steps – if you like them – begin implementing them straight away and record in a special notebook the date of beginning memorization. Contact someone you love and trust, and then tell them that you have found a technique in memorizing the Quran that you began applying today, so that you can be someone who guides to good.

One of the benefits of contacting someone like this is that it will be an encouragement for you in memorization and continuation, as it reflects an increased conviction in oneself with what you’ve read.

This is what is confirmed in psychology, if a person does something and he convinces someone else about it, then it is like taking a firm stance without retracting from it and his behaviour increases his conviction in what he does.

It is possible to summarize this method in the following steps:-

1. Personal composure

2. Warm up

3. Concentration

4. Repetition

5. Connecting

Result = a strong memorization with the best method.

Source: Kayfa Tahfaz al-Qur`aan al-Kareem (“How to Memorise the Noble Quran”)

جوري
03-22-2007, 10:36 PM
wow sobhan Allah thanks for advise... I find that starting with short sura is great... I read somewhere and (Allah a3lam) if it is true-- that each sura you memorize will raise your status up in heaven by one level... I don't know if some suras raise the level more than others? but I think starting from the back and working your way up is great... helps if you can find a great sheikh to recite after until fully memorized... May Allah grant us Jannah insha'Allah
Amên

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Ameen!

but i would like to stress that its VERY important that we understand and implement what we read, we shouldnt read the quran as a book which doesnt pass our throats.

may Allah grant this ummah jannah! Ameen :)

Umar001
03-22-2007, 10:49 PM
the Ta Ha Uthman Qu'ran anyone got a cover pic of it?

جوري
03-22-2007, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
Ameen!

but i would like to stress that its VERY important that we understand and implement what we read, we shouldnt read the quran as a book which doesnt pass our throats.

may Allah grant this ummah jannah! Ameen :)
I agree--- the words are so very beautiful if you read them in Arabic... one time honestly, it was Ramadan really early in the wee hours.... the morning smelled great... it was like a new day for new people... and when I made morning prayer I listened to some Quran by Sheikh Jibreen

15}
[Pickthal 81:15] Oh, but I call to witness the planets,

الْجَوَارِ الْكُنَّسِ {16}
[Pickthal 81:16] The stars which rise and set,

وَاللَّيْلِ إِذَا عَسْعَسَ {17}
[Pickthal 81:17] And the close of night,

وَالصُّبْحِ إِذَا تَنَفَّسَ {18}
[Pickthal 81:18] And the breath of morning

إِنَّهُ لَقَوْلُ رَسُولٍ كَرِيمٍ {19}
[Pickthal 81:19] That this is in truth the word of an honoured messenger,

And it was the most beautiful thing I had heard... as if I were hearing it for the very first time... so befitting of that morning---Wish I can upload it here but I don't know how?....Anyhow the point is... When memorized-- the verses are so full of beauty, meaning, and a cure for what ails the heart... it is all there... sobhan Allah

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 10:55 PM
^ subhanAllah thats amazing!

btw sis do you have the complete collection of ibrahim jibreens recitation?

جوري
03-22-2007, 11:27 PM
not complete No... For some reason the web page no longer opens.. Thank G-D I downloaded it all when it was working... maybe you'll have better luck insh'Allah.. It used to be on a dutch website.....
Ibrahiem Al-Jibrien - Djoez-e 'AmmaIbrahiem Al-Jibrien. Titel:. Djoez-e 'Amma. Download instructies:. Om een bestand op te slaan klik daarop met de rechtermuisknop en dan op "doel opslaan ...
download.al-islaam.com/audiovideo/qoran/alquraan/html/djoezammajibrien/1.html -

جوري
03-22-2007, 11:29 PM
wait look what I found... woho-- sound quality isn't as good as first site though... which is too bad but nonetheless
enjoy

http://www.geocities.com/ad3iyah/jibrien.html

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 11:29 PM

its not working, not to worry sis. i have quite a few recitation of his. I'll be patient till i can buy his whole collection.

His voice is too beautiful, i cant wait :)

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 11:30 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
wait look what I found... woho
enjoy

http://www.geocities.com/ad3iyah/jibrien.html
lol jazakAllah khair but i have all of these sis , wa barakAllahu feek.

I just wanted the whole collection, i'l b patient inshaAllah

جوري
03-22-2007, 11:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

lol jazakAllah khair but i have all of these sis , wa barakAllahu feek.

I just wanted the whole collection, i'l b patient inshaAllah
:-[ ----Sorry I wasn't more help =(.... to be honest I don't think he has done the whole Quran?... Another one of my favorite was sheikh Khanderi and I managed to buy his entire collection from ebay and it was only 64 suras... half were mal-functioning-- unfortunately.... but I didn't wish too Quarrel with the seller...:raging:

IbnAbdulHakim
03-22-2007, 11:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
:-[ ----Sorry I wasn't more help =(.... to be honest I don't think he has done the whole Quran?... Another one of my favorite was sheikh Khanderi and I managed to buy his entire collection from ebay and it was only 64 suras... half were mal-functioning-- unfortunately.... but I didn't wish too Quarrel with the seller...:raging:

lol i visited a forum and the said his been working on a book (sheikh jibreen) and after thats finished he will release a full recitation. Im eagerly anticipating this Allahu a'lam if this is true though.

BlissfullyJaded
03-22-2007, 11:48 PM

*Threads Merged*

Jazakallah khair also for the addition about Sayidina Abdullah ibn 'Umar (Radiallahu Anhu). SubhanAllah, amazing...

جوري
03-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Sheikh Jibreen was in MD last Ramadan.. I didn't have the good fortune to be there at the time --I'd have loved to have attended a lecture by him... but a colleague of mine said it was great..... eh maybe next year??? =)

IbnAbdulHakim
03-23-2007, 10:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

*Threads Merged*

Jazakallah khair also for the addition about Sayidina Abdullah ibn 'Umar (Radiallahu Anhu). SubhanAllah, amazing...
the main thing was the part about Abdullah Ibn Umar...

Im a lil worried that most people might not read that now..

Mawaddah
03-23-2007, 11:20 AM

Subhanallah! 14 years? Wow....Most people just finish the Qur'an in 2 or 3 years but without any understanding of it. May Allah make us of those who understand and implement the Qur'an in our Lives Ameen.

Jazakallah khair brother.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-23-2007, 11:24 AM

Ameen!

Wa iyyakum!

ehha
04-15-2007, 12:33 PM
I luv this section of the forum.. it gets me quite motivated!
salamz

------
09-21-2008, 10:50 AM

:bump:!!

H@fiz Aziz
09-21-2008, 03:26 PM
also read slow with tajweed cause if you read fast you will forget a lot of words. By reading slow with tajweed causes a memorizer to see the next sentence in their mind so they could recite without any minor/major mistakes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.