/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Good news for those who are steadfast

itsme
03-23-2007, 01:22 PM
There is no doubt that many things happen in our lives for which we are not prepared. It is not enough to simply react at the moment and leave it at that. If you were to shed some light on the event and examine it carefully you would find that there was a great deal in it that you did not grasp immediately and which might have caused you to change your life and helped you to live in a better way.

There is nothing we can have that is more beneficial for us than the quality of steady endurance in the face of affliction: a steadfastness without complaint or grumbling, a "beautiful steadfastness" combined with guidance, peace of mind and acceptance of the command of the All-Powerful, All-Knowing. Steadfastness is the sure path to rescue on the Day of Rising. It is the key to the garden. The Almighty says:

"We shall test you until We know the true fighters among you and those who are steadfast, and test what is reported of you." (47:31)

"The steadfast will be paid their wages in full without any reckoning." (39:10)

Steadfastness in affliction in this world expiates wrong actions. It lightens a man's punishment in the Next World or averts it from him, and may raise his degree to heavenly bliss. In such cases, affliction is a blessing and not a punishment. This is sufficiently confirmed for us by what is related about the prophets (May Allah bless them all and grant them peace) and their steadfastness in affliction, which is too well known to need further comment.

'Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) said, "I heard the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, say, "No believer is pricked by a thorn without Allah granting him a good deed and removing a bad deed from him through it."

The Prophet of Allah (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) visited someone who was ill, and he said:" Good news! Allah declares, 'It is My fire which I have given power over My believing slave in this world so tat it may replace its portion of the fire in the Next World.'"

If we suppose that the average lifespan of a man is about sixty years and the year 365 days, then his age in days is 21,900. If we round this off to 20,000, leave out the major sins and work on the basis on him only committing one minor sin a day, this means that at the end of his life he will have at least 20,000 small sins. He cannot enter the Garden (paradise), however great his good actions, until he has been completely purified of them. So he bears them on his shoulders and back across the sirat (bridge on top of hell, leading to paradise) until his purification is complete and he has been cleansed of them. Only then will he be able to gain entry into the Garden. However, Allah, in His mercy, has given man an opportunity to be purified of his sins on this world and if not then, in the throes of death and if not then, after death in the Interspace (barzakh - life between worldly life and Day of Rising) or on the Day or Rising. Allah is able to forgive whomever He wishes among His servants provided that the servant does not owe restitution for an injustice he has perpetrated against a fellow human being.

There is no human being who does not have both good and evil in him. The proportion varies between different people. A good man must have some faults just like an evil man must have some virtues. Because Allah is satisfied with those who believe, He purifies them of evil deeds in this world by means of illness or poverty or by means of some sorrow which afflicts them until they are fit to enter the Garden, pure and clean. But when Allah is angry with an unbeliever, He does not punish him until he has received his full due of this world in the form of health, wealth, rank and joys until he is stripped of all his good deeds. Then he meets Allah without any good action at all and only deserves the punishment of hellfire in the Next World.

In a hadith qudsi (in which the prophet narrates what Allah has said) it is related that Abu Hurayra (may Allah be pleased with him) stated: "He (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) said, ' Allah Almighty says, "I do not remove any of my slaves from this world if I desire to forgive him , without eliminating some of his bad actions illness in his body or diminution in his livelihood or by some sorrow. If any evil deeds still remain, I make his death difficult so that he meets Me with no evil deeds. By My might and majesty, I do not remove any of my slaves, without desire to forgive him, without repaying him for every good deed he has done with health in his body and joy which comes to him and expansion in his provision. If any of his good deeds remain, I make his death easy for him so that he meets me with no good deed."'

'Umar Ibn Al Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) once remarked to the Messenger of Allah (May Allah bless him and grant him peace), " Messenger of Allah, Khusraw and Caesar have all that they have, where as you are the chosen one of Allah among his creation." The Messenger of Allah (May Allah bless him and grant him peace), who had been reclining, sat up and said, "Are you subject to doubt, son of Khattab? These people have their good things here and now in the life of this world." (In one variant we find: "Are you not content that they should have this world and we the next?")

According to the two sahih (authentic collection of hadiths) and other collections, The Messenger of Allah (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) said, "Do not eat or drink from gold or silver vessels. They are for them in this world and for us in the Next World."

So be in guard against major acts of disobedience to Allah and then be on guard even more against minor one. And be a thousand times more careful against doing injustice to others. Allah is able to forgive His slaves, whereas a human being has no power of forgiveness in the Next World. Do not be made anxious by the sorrows which visits you and do not look at the joys which come to others. You do not know the wisdom of Allah. Do not try to make this world into a paradise- and do not imagine that it is a hell either. Put it in its correct perspective and know that it is a tiny mixture of the two. Be steadfast in this transitory world so that you may gain your everlasting reward in the Next World.

"Anything you have been given is only the enjoyment of the life of this world. What is with Allah is better and longer lasting for those who believe and put their trust in their Lord." (42:36)

"The life of this world is nothing but a game and a diversion. The next World is better for those who are God-fearing. Will you not then use your understanding?" (6:32)

"We will test you with a certain amount of fear and hunger and loss of wealth and life and fruits. But give good tidings to the steadfast: those who, when disaster strikes them, say, 'Truly we belong to Allah and we shall return to Him.' Those are the ones who have blessings and mercy from their Lord. It is they who are guided." (2:155-157)

Adapted from "The Day of Rising"

By Laila Mabruk

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.