/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Travelling without a Mahram

bint_muhammed
03-23-2007, 05:12 PM
i'm going to travel more than 50 miles to stay in a uni for a week with a female muslim friend. is this islamically correct? there will be seperate rooms for every student. :?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
03-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Well if your seperate whats the problem?

She can't travel alone also,

relative of yours?

Peace :)

bint_muhammed
03-23-2007, 05:18 PM
no relative

Pk_#2
03-23-2007, 05:28 PM
No u cant travel with ur non mahram i.e sit next to eachother chit chat

How are you travelling?

I doubt it matters if she comes with you but sits at the other end of the train or sutin

:)

Allahu Alim!

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
bint_muhammed
03-23-2007, 05:32 PM
i am female going with another female friend so it this wrong?
i heard that it is not permitted 2 travel more than 40 miles but i need confirmation so that i can cancel my plans pleeeeeeeeeees help

Pk_#2
03-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Oh my bad! :o$ (wheres your gender woman?)

Apologies!,

I can't see anything wrong with that,

People why can't you travel that distance?????? Anyone???

Confucius
03-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Salamualikum...from what i know...if a female is going furthur than 41miles she NEEDS to travel with a male mahram...father/brother etc i think its for her own saftey aswell.

But i have aread a hadith which Rasullaha (SAW) said, this was during the time of the mission of Al Qullus, where later rasullah mentioned '....you would be able to see a woman riding a camel travel from Hirah until it circumblates Al Ka'bah fearing non but Allah...' i dunno if that means its okay for women to travel alone or if its showing the safety of the muslim countries...since i cnt give fatwa this hadith to some may seem contradictory...but nwy i advice u to go to an Alim or ur imaan and ask him...?

personally i wud NEVER be allowed to go anywhere and stay over with a female friend...my family...er brothers alone will forbid me..they go islamically things like that are not correct...but dunno specifically...

IbnAbdulHakim
03-23-2007, 06:47 PM
:salamext:

sis!!! im going to research for you and post! make sure you read it OK!

IbnAbdulHakim
03-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Question:
Assalam O Alikium My mother is planning to go to ummrah inshallah. But she needs a mairram and her husband nor her brothers are able to go. We have asked an alm he said she can go with her brother in-law which is also her first cousin. As long as his wife is there which she will be cause she's going too. Is this permissable in Islam because I still have my doubts. Jazak allah ho karun.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

One of the ways in which Islam protects women is that it requires a woman to travel with a mahram, to protect her from those who have bad intentions and to help her, because of her weakness, in facing the arduous trials of travelling.

A woman is not permitted to travel without a mahram because of the hadeeth narrated by Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A woman should absolutely not travel unless she has a mahram with her.” A man stood up and said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I have enlisted in such-and-such a military campaign, and my wife has set out for Hajj.” He said, “Go and do Hajj with your wife.”
(al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, 3006).

What indicates that a mahram is obligatory is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded this man to give up the idea of jihaad (on this occasion), even though he had enlisted for a campaign and his wife was travelling for the purpose of worship, not for some frivolous or suspicious reason. In spite of all this, he told him to go and do Hajj with his wife.

The ulamaa’ have listed five conditions for a person to be considered a mahram. He should be male, Muslim, adult, and of sound mind, and he should be a relative to whom marriage is permanently forbidden, such as a father, brother, paternal uncle, maternal uncle, father in law, mother’s husband or brother through radaa’ah (breastfeeding), etc. (as opposed to relatives to whom marriage is temporarily forbidden, such as a sister’s husband, paternal aunt’s husband, maternal aunt’s husband).

On this basis, the husband’s brother and the son of a paternal or maternal uncle are not mahrams, so it is not permitted for her to travel with them. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref...n%20travelling

bint_muhammed
03-23-2007, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

Question:
Assalam O Alikium My mother is planning to go to ummrah inshallah. But she needs a mairram and her husband nor her brothers are able to go. We have asked an alm he said she can go with her brother in-law which is also her first cousin. As long as his wife is there which she will be cause she's going too. Is this permissable in Islam because I still have my doubts. Jazak allah ho karun.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

One of the ways in which Islam protects women is that it requires a woman to travel with a mahram, to protect her from those who have bad intentions and to help her, because of her weakness, in facing the arduous trials of travelling.

A woman is not permitted to travel without a mahram because of the hadeeth narrated by Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A woman should absolutely not travel unless she has a mahram with her.” A man stood up and said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I have enlisted in such-and-such a military campaign, and my wife has set out for Hajj.” He said, “Go and do Hajj with your wife.”

What indicates that a mahram is obligatory is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded this man to give up the idea of jihaad (on this occasion), even though he had enlisted for a campaign and his wife was travelling for the purpose of worship, not for some frivolous or suspicious reason. In spite of all this, he told him to go and do Hajj with his wife.

The ulamaa’ have listed five conditions for a person to be considered a mahram. He should be male, Muslim, adult, and of sound mind, and he should be a relative to whom marriage is permanently forbidden, such as a father, brother, paternal uncle, maternal uncle, father in law, mother’s husband or brother through radaa’ah (breastfeeding), etc. (as opposed to relatives to whom marriage is temporarily forbidden, such as a sister’s husband, paternal aunt’s husband, maternal aunt’s husband).

On this basis, the husband’s brother and the son of a paternal or maternal uncle are not mahrams, so it is not permitted for her to travel with them. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

jazakallah brother i guess i shudnt be goin! just hav to let my friend know she wont be please! Allah (swt) knows best!:thumbs_up

- Qatada -
03-23-2007, 10:51 PM

May Allaah ease your situation sister:

The Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said:

'If anyone seeks the pleasure of people at the expense of the wrath of Allah, Allah will entrust him to them until the one who praised him becomes his critic. If anyone seeks the pleasure of Allah at the expense of people, Allah will be enough for him against them.'" i think its narrated in Ibn Hibban.

Malaikah
03-24-2007, 12:31 PM
:sl:

I hope I'm not too late, but you should check up the max. distance you are allowed to go on your own before you cancel anything.

piXie
03-24-2007, 01:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ya_Giney
jazakallah brother i guess i shudnt be goin! just hav to let my friend know she wont be please! Allah (swt) knows best!:thumbs_up

Masha'Allah sis :) n i hope ur friend understands lol

format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

The Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said:

'If anyone seeks the pleasure of people at the expense of the wrath of Allah, Allah will entrust him to them until the one who praised him becomes his critic. If anyone seeks the pleasure of Allah at the expense of people, Allah will be enough for him against them.'" i think its narrated in Ibn Hibban.
^ SubhanAllah, thts an amazing Hadith :cry:

bint_muhammed
03-24-2007, 03:43 PM
ok what if my brother drops me off and then picks me up but doesnt stay with me?

Medina83
04-02-2007, 01:29 PM

Question:

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Islam Q&A

I think to be honest there are many more important things one should try to get right in their life before they worry so much about whether they travel alone.

But besides that...for me i have no option but to travel alone everywhere since i am a revert, unmarried, i have no brothers, my father is a Christian, and all other male relatives i have barely seen since i was a kid (and they are also Christian).

So I don't see a difference personally between travelling 43 miles alone and 4000 kilometres alone, if ur alone ur alone, and Allah is there for protection. I regard Him as my Wali.

Salam

AvarAllahNoor
04-02-2007, 02:19 PM

Question:

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

So a woman is perceived to be weak? Can somebody please expand on this so I can understand it a bit more Thanks :)

- Qatada -
04-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Hey.

I think it might be answered here:

Question:

Dear scholars, As-Salamu `alaykum. What are the rulings concerning the woman’s taking permission of the husband if she wants to leave the house and her traveling without a Mahram (husband or close male relative)? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Answer:

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His sake.

Islam cares for the dignity and honor of woman. Because of her weakness and vulnerability to being targeted by vile men, Islam is keen to close the doors to such situations by insisting that a woman should not travel long distances or stay away from home by herself unless she has taken adequate safeguards in order to ensure her own protection.

Answering your question, the European Council for Fatwa and Research states:

1. The ruling concerning the woman’s taking permission on leaving home:

It is incumbent on the woman to inform her husband when she wants to go outside her home. However, the woman’s leaving her house to work, study or run errands for the home and the children does not require but a general consent on the part of the husband, and the wife does not have to ask permission every time. The matter is subject to common tradition. If the wife’s going out of the house is to visit a family not known to the husband, or if her going out entails staying overnight outside the house, the permission of the husband become necessary. If the husband refuses, the woman shall not go out. Muslim morality also requires that the husband should tell his wife if he wants to travel or stay overnight outside the house, for she has the right to know her husband’s whereabouts when he is absent from home.

2. The ruling regarding a woman’s travel without a mahram

This is primarily unlawful according to the hadith of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him): “A woman who believes in Allah and the Hereafter shall not travel for (a period of) a day and a night unless accompanied by a mahram of hers.” (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Depending on this general text, some scholars are of the opinion that a woman should not travel by herself. Other scholars stipulate that her travel is permissible in the company of a trustworthy group of men or men and women. The prohibition conveyed by the hadith is justified by fearing that the woman may be exposed to mischief or temptation if she travels alone, bearing in mind that the dangers of travel were numerous in the past. Caliph `Umar ibn al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) allowed the Prophet’s wives (Mothers of the Believers) to travel for Hajj with a group of believers and sent with them `Uthman ibn `Affan and `Abdul-Rahman ibn `Auf.

In the hadith of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) to `Adiy ibn Hatim we read: “If you live long, you will see the woman travel from Hirah (a city in Iraq) to circumambulate the Ka`bah fearing none but Allah.” (Reported by al-Bukhari)

This confirms that the cause (of the prohibition) is fear (of insecurity). If security is guaranteed and fear is no more present, a woman may travel, particularly nowadays when travel has become easy, whether by air, train or coach. In all these means of transportation, company is available and security is realized for the Muslim woman.

This is in respect of the woman’s travel from one town to another or from one country to another and her arrival on the same day of her travel, whereupon she finds company providing security. If the journey requires staying overnight in a hotel on the way, or the journey is intended to perform a certain task that requires residence for a certain period, the woman, in this case, is supposed primarily to travel with a mahram of hers, or reside for the required period with a Muslim family in that country to avoid the likelihood of temptation or mischief the woman may face.

Finally, the Council urges parents to bring up their daughters and the husbands to educate their wives according to the guidance of Allah, for a Muslim woman will certainly follow the guidance of Allah steadfastly if she has received her due amount of education and instruction and has learned the rulings and rules of Shari`ah and has comprehended her religion.”

Do keep in touch. If you have any other question, don't hesitate to write to us.

Allah Almighty knows best.

Source

Medina83
04-02-2007, 02:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
So a woman is perceived to be weak? Can somebody please expand on this so I can understand it a bit more Thanks :)
If the guys tell us this often enough we might start to believe it :D
but i doubt it

I travelled to Korea for a month alone, and I can tell you now I didn't need a man. (except for lifting suitcases ha ha ha that would have been nice)

AvarAllahNoor
04-02-2007, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Medina83
but i doubt it

I travelled to Korea for a month alone, and I can tell you now I didn't need a man. (except for lifting suitcases ha ha ha that would have been nice)
Well done sister.

It gives the impression women are not able to defend themselves, which is ridiculous. I've seen some mean ladies....

Uthman
04-02-2007, 02:51 PM

A lot of people perceive the position of women in Islam from a pessimistic viewpoint.

Islam is very protective of it's women. Interestingly, some women take offence at this whereas others are thankful for it.

:w:

Muslim Woman
04-02-2007, 03:06 PM

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&
format_quote Originally Posted by ya_Giney
i'm going to travel more than 50 miles to stay in a uni for a week with a female muslim friend. is this islamically correct? there will be seperate rooms for every student. :?

---there is no verse in holy Quran that prohibits women to travel alone. There is a hadith that prohibits women travel without Muharim ( i.e. dad/bro/husband ). There is also a hadith that says ( not the exact words ) --in a future time , women will be safe to travel alone for Hajj or travel at night without fearing.

So , if it's safe & urgent , then u can go. Unless don't take unnecessary risk as travelling alone could be dangerous. Try to travel with dad/bro .

Medina83
04-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Its about using your sense and protecting your integrity.

Of course there are places I wouldn't go alone, but thats my choice and sense.

I mean Islam being protective of women is brilliant.
However when one manipulates it to make a woman feel a like she is a fool / or sinning for travelling alone thats when I take issue.

Unless Allah specified so.

Maimunah
04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
but i doubt it

It is not permissible for a Muslim woman to travel by airplane or by any other means without a mahram accompanying her during her journey. This is due to the generality of the statement (of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam)):

((A woman is not travel except with a mahram)), [transmitted by al-Bukhaaree - No.1862 and Muslim - No.1339]; and its authenticity is agreed upon (by both al-Bukhaaree and Muslim).

This is because so long as she has no-one to protect her, it is quite possible that she may be exposed to or subjected to something which is (Islaamically) dangerous during her journey, by whatever means.

And another matter is that sometimes airplanes come across mechanical problems, so it has to land at an airport other than that of the destination. In this case, the passengers are acommodated in a hotel or otherwise wait until repairs are carried out, or even until a replacement airplane is made available. So they could well be waiting for a long time, possibly a day or more. In this (case), a woman travelling by herself is exposed to that which is (Islaamically) dangerous.

All in all, the hidden aspects of the Islaamic Sharee'ah are many and great, and there is no doubt about the danger of falling foul of it without an Islaamically acceptable reason.

May Allaah grant everyone success in understanding the Religion (Islaam), and firmness upon it, indeed He is in charge of all affairs.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz
Majmoo' Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi'ah - Volume 16, Page 383
This correspondence is numbered: 1803/kh and dated 05/08/1395H by the Shaykh's office

Medina83
04-03-2007, 12:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ruwaydah

It is not permissible for a Muslim woman to travel by airplane or by any other means without a mahram accompanying her during her journey. This is due to the generality of the statement (of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam)):

((A woman is not travel except with a mahram)), [transmitted by al-Bukhaaree - No.1862 and Muslim - No.1339]; and its authenticity is agreed upon (by both al-Bukhaaree and Muslim).

This is because so long as she has no-one to protect her, it is quite possible that she may be exposed to or subjected to something which is (Islaamically) dangerous during her journey, by whatever means.

And another matter is that sometimes airplanes come across mechanical problems, so it has to land at an airport other than that of the destination. In this case, the passengers are acommodated in a hotel or otherwise wait until repairs are carried out, or even until a replacement airplane is made available. So they could well be waiting for a long time, possibly a day or more. In this (case), a woman travelling by herself is exposed to that which is (Islaamically) dangerous.

All in all, the hidden aspects of the Islaamic Sharee'ah are many and great, and there is no doubt about the danger of falling foul of it without an Islaamically acceptable reason.

May Allaah grant everyone success in understanding the Religion (Islaam), and firmness upon it, indeed He is in charge of all affairs.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz
Majmoo' Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi'ah - Volume 16, Page 383
This correspondence is numbered: 1803/kh and dated 05/08/1395H by the Shaykh's office

Like i said before if you have no mahrams available to you it makes no difference if you travel 45kms or 4500kms.

What would you have me do?
Never leave my house?
I have to travel more than 45 kms just to get to my parents house.
So should I quit work, and live in the countryside with my parents (who don't want me living with them..) earning nothing because of the rural setting ....all because i have to travel that 80kms on my own?

Get a reality check here

Maimunah
04-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Like i said before if you have no mahrams available to you it makes no difference if you travel 45kms or 4500kms.

What would you have me do?
Never leave my house?
I have to travel more than 45 kms just to get to my parents house.
So should I quit work, and live in the countryside with my parents (who don't want me living with them..) earning nothing because of the rural setting ....all because i have to travel that 80kms on my own?

Get a reality check here

with things like this, speak to a scholar n let them advice you. evrything in lile should be for the sake of Allah as it was said by ibn qayuum rahimaulah. am sorry sis for i didn't kno that u have no mahram. what i posted was a general ruling. but the deen looks at the person in specific. may Allah give us the tawfeeq to do everything for his sake. 'wakaanal insanu akthara shayiin jadalaa'.

Malaikah
04-03-2007, 12:28 PM
I mean Islam being protective of women is brilliant.
However when one manipulates it to make a woman feel a like she is a fool / or sinning for travelling alone thats when I take issue.

Unless Allah specified so.

Sis who do you think made the law that women aren't meant to travel alone? The shaykhs didn't make it up, Allah already specified it!!!

Get a reality check here
Or perhaps you should just get a mahram. :) It would seem the only way you can do that is to get married. Remember that there is a reason Allah made these rules. They aren't 'just because'.

format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
It gives the impression women are not able to defend themselves, which is ridiculous. I've seen some mean ladies....
Ridiculous to think that women are physically weaker than men?:exhausted I don't know about you, but where I live (I like to call it planet earth...) most women are not able to physically overpower men... fact of life...

Medina83
04-03-2007, 12:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Sis who do you think made the law that women aren't meant to travel alone? The shaykhs didn't make it up, Allah already specified it!!!
Really?
Can you quote me the quranic verse then please?
I'm well aware its in Hadith, but I'm also aware that the line quoted was one line without context and i'm not prepared to swallow it until its proved.

:
Or perhaps you should just get a mahram. :) It would seem the only way you can do that is to get married. Remember that there is a reason Allah made these rules. They aren't 'just because'. ...
I am actually looking for marriage Malaikah not that its anything to do with you. And not for this reason either. I'm well aware that there are always seen and unseen reasons behind the rules in Islam, if I didn't believe that I wouldn't have reverted so get off your self righteous high horse.

:
Ridiculous to think that women are physically weaker than men?:exhausted I don't know about you, but where I live (I like to call it planet earth...) most women are not able to physically overpower men... fact of life...
You'd be surprised what a woman is able to do when her instinct for survival kicks in. And obviously in the majority we are not stronger but we can definitely be smarter. As I said, its about using your sense and cop on and protecting your integrity.

And just as an aside, I fought off a rapist once so I totally agree with the sister.

Malaikah
04-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Perhaps you are correct when you said there are more important things to learn about Islam before one gets to travelling without a mahram... I would suggest you start with manners.

- Qatada -
04-03-2007, 12:58 PM

Let's all control ourselves inshaa Allaah, otherwise the thread will have to be closed.

Medina83
04-03-2007, 12:59 PM

Let's all control ourselves inshaa Allaah, otherwise the thread will have to be closed.
Amin to that

Medina83
04-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Malaikah, I apologise for what I said, hope you can forgive me.

I'm very sorry

salam sister

Mizbah
04-03-2007, 05:38 PM
http://www.islamtoday.net/english/sh...sub_cat_id=548

A Woman Traveling Without a Chaperone| Shaikh Sâmî al-Mâjid|

The Islamic legal rulings that pertain to the daily affairs of life are always connected to the welfare of the people in their individual lives and in their relationships with each other. Such rulings, therefore, have causes that can be grasped by reason and understood in a clear and precise manner.

These rulings differ from those that pertain to acts of worship, since acts of worship are connected to the benefits of the Hereafter and our direct relationship with Allah. Such matters are generally not discernable to the human intellect. Many great scholars have tried to determine the wisdom behind why we do certain things in prayer and in pilgrimage - and quite often they have failed and said: "This is purely a matter that we must accept on faith. Allah knows best about it."

The ruling that a woman may not travel without her husband or a male escort from her immediate family (a mahram) falls under the first category of rulings. We can appreciate the reason for the prohibition. When we understand that the reason for this prohibition is the fear for her sanctity and honor and the fear that she might be taken advantage of or raped, then we know that the issue is one that needs to be weighed in light of the benefits and harm present in a given situation.

Therefore, we have the opinion in Islamic Law that it is permissible for a woman to travel without a mahram when she is reasonably assured of her safety or when traveling poses no more danger for her than staying at home. The latter situation is often the case in non-Muslim countries where walking down her own street can be more dangerous for her and full of temptation that sitting on board an airplane. The environment of an airplane is quite often safer and more wholesome than that of the neighborhood in which she lives.

From this point of departure, we shall present the evidence and juristic reasoning of the people of knowledge:

`Adî b. Hâtim relates that Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said to him: "O `Adî, have you seen al-Hîrah (a region in Iraq)."

`Adî replied: "I have not seen it, but I have heard of it."

Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: "If you live long enough, you will see a woman departing by camel in a litter and traveling until she reaches the Ka`bah without fearing anyone but Allah."

`Adî informs us that he thought to himself: "Where are the robbers and bandits who run rampant through the land?" Then `Adî says: "I have seen a woman travel by camel litter from al-Hirâh to the Ka`bah fearing no one but Allah." [Sahîh al-Bukhârî]

This hadîth shows us that it is permissible for a woman to travel unescorted if the road is safe. Someone might argue that the statement of the Prophet (peace be upon him) is merely reporting that such a thing would one day take place, not that it is permissible. However, this argument is weak. This statement is made in a context of praising Islam and showing its future ascendancy. Therefore, it must be assumed that what is being used to indicate such praise is permissible in and of itself. Moreover, `Adî b. Hâtim saw this woman and did not condemn her action, nor did anyone else.

Al-Bâjî, in al-Muntaqâ, writes: "Perhaps what some of our scholars have said (regarding prohibition) refers only to cases where the woman is alone or with a small group. As for the great caravans and the secure major thoroughfares, they are to me no different than the places of residence that are filled with markets and merchants. In such cases, her safety is secured without the presence of a mahram or female companions. This opinion has been related to us from al-Awzâ`î."

Qâdî `Iyâd, when discussing the prohibition of a woman traveling without a mahram to escort her, says: "This refers only for a young woman. As for an older woman who is less enticing, she can travel anywhere she wants without her husband or a mahram. Ibn Daqîq al-`Id: considers this a specification of a general ruling in consideration of the meaning behind it."

The great jurists Mâlik and al`Awzâ'î - and also al-Shâfi`î in his more prevalent opinion - rule that a mahram escort is not a condition for a woman to make her obligatory pilgrimage. The only condition is that she will be safe on the journey. Al-Shâfî'î says: "Safety can be achieved by her being chaperoned by her husband or her mahram, or by the company of other trustworthy women."

Some scholars have said that if it is safe enough, she needs no one to accompany her. She can travel alone along with the caravans and be safe. This is indicated by the hadîth of `Adî that we mentioned earlier.

Permissibility is even more certain when a woman cannot find a mahram and her best interests are to be secured by her traveling. Permissibility is indisputable in cases where travel becomes a necessity for her, on account of the principle in Islamic Law that necessity makes unlawful things permissible. This is why the scholars have permitted a woman to travel unescorted to emigrate from a non-Muslim country to a Muslim one. In some situations, they even declare such a journey to be obligatory upon her.

And Allah knows best. And may the peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad.

Malaikah
04-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Malaikah, I apologise for what I said, hope you can forgive me.

I'm very sorry

Thats okay.:) I'm sorry too if my original post offended you into making those comments. It wasn't meant to offend at all.

snakelegs
04-04-2007, 02:13 AM

Depending on this general text, some scholars are of the opinion that a woman should not travel by herself. Other scholars stipulate that her travel is permissible in the company of a trustworthy group of men or men and women. The prohibition conveyed by the hadith is justified by fearing that the woman may be exposed to mischief or temptation if she travels alone, bearing in mind that the dangers of travel were numerous in the past. Caliph `Umar ibn al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) allowed the Prophet’s wives (Mothers of the Believers) to travel for Hajj with a group of believers and sent with them `Uthman ibn `Affan and `Abdul-Rahman ibn `Auf.

In the hadith of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) to `Adiy ibn Hatim we read: “If you live long, you will see the woman travel from Hirah (a city in Iraq) to circumambulate the Ka`bah fearing none but Allah.” (Reported by al-Bukhari)

This confirms that the cause (of the prohibition) is fear (of insecurity). If security is guaranteed and fear is no more present, a woman may travel, particularly nowadays when travel has become easy, whether by air, train or coach. In all these means of transportation, company is available and security is realized for the Muslim woman.
this is interesting because it takes in to account the motives behind the prohibition and that change in the times.
that's kind of unusual, isn't it?
i do realize that you said "some" scholars.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.