/* */

PDA

View Full Version : can a woman show her feet?

chacha_jalebi
03-23-2007, 11:42 PM
salaam :D

bismillah ir rahman nir raheem:D

today we was talkin bout awrah for men & women, and the feet Q came up! so can woman or not? any hadiths?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
03-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Bismillah!

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

Answered by Shaykh Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf Mangera

Could you please provide me with evidence on why it is permissible for a woman to show her feet. There is evidence in the hadith about showing the hands and face, but I have not seen any regarding showing the feet.

In the name of Allah the Inspirer of truth.

The reason the feet are also exempt from being covered during salat is that they has been considered as "that which is normally revealed thereof" in the following verse of the Qur'an:

"She should not display her beauty except that which is revealed thereof" (Sura Nur).

The scholars of the Hanafi school have considered that the feet are also exempt just like the face and hands for the following reasons: (1) they can easily become uncovered while walking (even if the women is wearing a long garment), especially in the case of poorer people (who may not have the means to possess socks) and (2) if the face, which is more a place of attraction, is exempted by this verse then more conclusively the feet should also be exempted. Furthermore, there is nothing categorically related that makes them out to be part of the awra.

Having said this, covering them in salat to observe the etiquette of the difference of opinion with other schools who consider them part of the awra, though not necessary, would be a worthy deed. Likewise, it is more preferable to have them covered to minimize attraction.

And Allah knows best.

Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf

walaykumSalaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

source: www.sunn1path.com

IbnAbdulHakim
03-23-2007, 11:50 PM
:salamext:

lol isnt it just the hands and face? Allahu a'lam

hadith hmm refer to hijabi*** thread about the niqaab in cybercounselling, theres some huge post i done on niqaabs which shows that its really just hands that can be shown, apparently all of a woman is awrah. Allahu a'lam

laa adree!!!

laa adree!!!

laa adree!!!

chacha_jalebi
03-23-2007, 11:52 PM
^chank u man:D the explainin of it makes ya undastand more:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
Ano it made me squirm.

But i posted it 'coz it allaborates on the idea of showing the feet.

Peace.

Maimunah
its depends really. there some who say that the feet is not awrah while others say its awrah. so its beta to cover it all.. just to be on the safe side. Allahu a'laam

:w:

chacha_jalebi
03-23-2007, 11:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ruwaydah
its depends really. there some who say that the feet is not awrah while others say its awrah. so its beta to cover it all.. just to be on the safe side. Allahu a'laam

thats what confusd me cos wen my sista askd me, but there a diff on opinions and Allah swt knows best

Pk_#2
03-23-2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah thats the way :shade:

I forgot to say that was the hanafi answer!

It may be different depending on which madhab you follow bro! :)

Peace!

Helena
03-23-2007, 11:57 PM
feet an awrah?....am confused now.....well when i wear shoes it just shows some part of the feet..just the top part...then it covers with my long jilbab..alahmdulilah....

thats wot i was thinking..diff madhabs have diff styles..as am a hanafi

Pk_#2
03-23-2007, 11:59 PM
wear trainers they are the best sis!

I'll buy you a pair LOLL

:)

IbnAbdulHakim
03-24-2007, 12:01 AM
the prophet saws encouraged us to leave that which we have doubt for that which we have no doubt :)

Helena
03-24-2007, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by |)431)M1
wear trainers they are the best sis!

I'll buy you a pair LOLL

:)
trainers...lol....not with my style...

i usually wear pointy flat shoes...obviously would wear tights(black), or boots(socks)

am talking about summer sis......its pretty hot to wear tights or socks...soo some part of my feet shows....i avoid wearing sandles....

hissa
03-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Asalamalikum,

I always assumed that feet were a women's awrah... I never sandles and I'm never barefoot around non-mahrams.. but like already mentioned, I guess it depends on the madhab you follow..
So... Allahu 'Alim

Pk_#2
03-24-2007, 12:04 AM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

No i can't show my flesh no more, (phobhia) lol NOT

Question:
What is the definition of the ‘awrah between a woman and her brother? What is the ‘awrah between a girl and her mother or sister?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:
The ‘awrah of a woman in front of her mahrams such as her father, brother and nephew is her entire body except that which usually appears such as the face, hair, neck, forearms and feet. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women”
[al-Noor 24:31].

chacha_jalebi
03-24-2007, 12:07 AM
lol der no need to follow 1 madhab strictly search round and which ever ansa has most evidence n reasonin listen to dat 1. and tru say hakim bro:D

chanks4 ya replies, here u go some sweets help yaself:p

Pk_#2
03-24-2007, 12:11 AM
:offended: They're out of date

Yeah i think i switch madhabs to the one which i feel is correct most of the time though i stick to hanafi rulings :)

May Allah (Swt) guide the ummah.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-24-2007, 12:14 AM
:offended: They're out of date

Yeah i think i switch madhabs to the one which i feel is correct most of the time though i stick to hanafi rulings :)

May Allah (Swt) guide the ummah.
lol recently i felt more attracted towards the hanbali madhab because their evidences are much stronger, and all their ways you will find to be more saheeh :)

Allahu a'lam, i still love all four imams of course, abu hanifa wallahi every time i read anything about him i wish he was around so i could hug him

btw does it seem like theres hardly anything out there about imam shafi'i and malik, i wanted to read up about them but i cant find much literature however i've read loads on imam ahmad and imam abu hanifa!

chacha_jalebi
03-24-2007, 12:16 AM
to be honest, ive neva followed a madhad, jus follow Quran + Sunnah ya get me :D but obv wen u need a opinion u can alwys look@ Quran,sunnah and the heavy works of the 4 imams:D

Pk_#2
03-24-2007, 12:16 AM
My teacher gave me a link about them - all four imams

MashaAllah excellent website !

i'll try dig it out for u fish :)

Peace!

Malaikah
03-24-2007, 12:20 AM
:sl:

So basically the hanafi scholars don't have any actual real proof that feet aren't awrah?

*sigh* I miss my open shoes.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-24-2007, 12:23 AM
My teacher gave me a link about them - all four imams

MashaAllah excellent website !

i'll try dig it out for u fish :)

Peace!
i'll try fish it out for you***

*waits patiently* may Allah reward you

chacha_jalebi
03-24-2007, 12:24 AM
hey hey lol

no madhab is wrong, they jus opinions of ppl who hav a heavy undastandin of religion:D, much betta den us lot

Umu 'Isa
03-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Islamic Hijaab

Question: What is the Islaamic hijaab?

Response: The Islaamic hijaab is for the women to cover everything that is forbidden for her to expose. That is, she covers everything that she must cover. The first of those bodily parts that she must cover is her face. It is the source of temptation and the source of people desiring her. Therefore, the woman must cover her face in front of those men that are not mahram. As for those of who claim that the Islaamic hijaab is to cover the head, shoulders, back, feet, shin and forearms while allowing her to uncover her face and hands, this is a very amazing claim. This is because it is well-known that the source of temptation and looking is the face. How can one say that the Sharee'ah does not allow the exposure of the foot of the woman while it allows her to uncover her face? It is not possible that there could be in the Esteemed, Wise and Noble Sharee'ah a contradiction. Yet everyone knows that the temptation from uncovering the face is much greater than the temptation that results from the uncovering of the feet. Everyone also knows that the most sought after aspect of the woman for men is the face. If you told a prospective groom that a woman's face is ugly but her feet are beautiful, he would not propose to such a woman. However, if you told him that her face was beautiful but her hands, palms, or shins were less than beautiful, he would still propose to her. From this one can conclude that the face is the first thing that must be covered. There are also evidences from the Book of Allaah and the sunnah of our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam). There are also statements from the Companions, the leading Imams and the great scholars of Islaam that indicate that it is obligatory for the woman to cover all of her body in the presence of non-mahram men. This obviously indicates that it is obligatory upon the woman to cover her face in front of such men. However, this is not the place to quote all those authorities.

And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
Fataawa al-Mar.ah

So this explains that she must cover her feet. It is the opinion of the majority of the scholars.

Malaikah
03-24-2007, 12:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rahmah
If you told a prospective groom that a woman's face is ugly but her feet are beautiful, he would not propose to such a woman.

LOL! Talk about hard to please!:p;D

Maimunah
03-24-2007, 02:38 PM
ibn taymiyah n ibn qayuum were followers of hanbalim madhaab:)
its good to follow all four madhaabs. Allahu a3laam

Muezzin
03-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Apart from pediatrists, who wants to see people's stinky feet anyway?

noodles
03-24-2007, 03:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ruwaydah
ibn taymiyah n ibn qayuum were followers of hanbalim madhaab:)
its good to follow all four madhaabs. Allahu a3laam

Would someone confirm this?

Am I really able to follow any method I want or should I stick to one and their beliefs?

I ask because I follow the hanbali method at times and then at times I follow the hanafi. So someone told me its better to stick to one.

Camomilla
03-24-2007, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=Rahmah;693405]Islamic Hijaab

Question: What is the Islaamic hijaab?

Response: The Islaamic hijaab is for the women to cover everything that is forbidden for her to expose. That is, she covers everything that she must cover. The first of those bodily parts that she must cover is her face. It is the source of temptation and the source of people desiring her. Therefore, the woman must cover her face in front of those men that are not mahram. As for those of who claim that the Islaamic hijaab is to cover the head, shoulders, back, feet, shin and forearms while allowing her to uncover her face and hands, this is a very amazing claim. This is because it is well-known that the source of temptation and looking is the face. How can one say that the Sharee'ah does not allow the exposure of the foot of the woman while it allows her to uncover her face? It is not possible that there could be in the Esteemed, Wise and Noble Sharee'ah a contradiction. Yet everyone knows that the temptation from uncovering the face is much greater than the temptation that results from the uncovering of the feet. Everyone also knows that the most sought after aspect of the woman for men is the face. If you told a prospective groom that a woman's face is ugly but her feet are beautiful, he would not propose to such a woman. However, if you told him that her face was beautiful but her hands, palms, or shins were less than beautiful, he would still propose to her. From this one can conclude that the face is the first thing that must be covered. There are also evidences from the Book of Allaah and the sunnah of our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam). There are also statements from the Companions, the leading Imams and the great scholars of Islaam that indicate that it is obligatory for the woman to cover all of her body in the presence of non-mahram men. This obviously indicates that it is obligatory upon the woman to cover her face in front of such men. However, this is not the place to quote all those authorities.

And Allaah knows best.

:offended: but..what about people that go to school? It's hard to cover the face because the teacher has to see the students face etc. so...what should I do?:?
&& one's have to cover Its feet when Its salaad, right?
coz I do..

islamirama
03-24-2007, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
Would someone confirm this?

Am I really able to follow any method I want or should I stick to one and their beliefs?

I ask because I follow the hanbali method at times and then at times I follow the hanafi. So someone told me its better to stick to one.
There's nothing wrong in taking from all for schols of thought or even salafi or "******" school. Bottom line is that we should take what is from Quran and Sunnah regardless which school is saying it. However, it's recommended you stick to one madhab and follow them so its easier and lets confusing. Some madhabs are stricter than others but both are right. For instance, hanafi do 20 rakh taraweeh in ramadan and some other madhab might do only 11 or 8. Both are right as the propet *S* done it both ways, one madhab just took the "more" route and is doing more rather then less.

Also, there are people who tend to fall in the "pick and choose" mentality. Where they will pick and choose from different madhabs according to whatever they find supportive of their views. This is dangerous as you are starting to mock islam now and Allah. So normaly it's recommended you pick on madhab as you would pick on mentor and stick to that inshallah.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-24-2007, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rahmah
Islamic Hijaab
If you told a prospective groom that a woman's face is ugly but her feet are beautiful, he would not propose to such a woman.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
Fataawa al-Mar.ah
lol subhanAllah, what beautiful humour :D may Allah give peace and blessings to the sheikh :D

youngsister
03-24-2007, 06:01 PM
:sl: The prophet pbuh said the only part a woman can reveal is her face and hands. (not feet).

islamirama
03-24-2007, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by youngsister
:sl: The prophet pbuh said the only part a woman can reveal is her face and hands. (not feet).
The hadeeth of Ayeshah (Radhiallaahu Ánha) when Asmaa (Radhiallaahu Ánha) the daughter of Abu Bakr came to the Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands.

But this hadeeth is WEAK because of 2 main weaknesses.
1. There is no link between Ayeshah (Radhiallaahu Ánha) and Khalid bin Dareek, who narrated the hadith from her. And in every chain of narrators Khalid bin Dareek is mentioned.
2. In the chain of narrators Sa'eed bin Basheer appears, who is known by most of the Muhaditheen as being a weak narrator.

This has been mentioned by Imaam Ahmad bin Hanbal (Rahimahullah), An-Nasai (Rahimahullah), Ibn Madeeni (Rahimahullah) and Ibn Ma'een (Rahimahullah). This is also why Imaam Bukhari (Rahimahullah) and Muslim (Rahimahullah) did not except this hadeeth to be in their books. (From Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen in the book "Hijaab" pages # 17 and 18.)

We also have to see that the Muhadith Abu Dawood when he quoted this hadeeth put with it that it is Mursal (with a broken chain that does not lead up to the Sahabah).
(From The Book "Hijaab wa Safur" under the fatwaa of Shaikh Abdul Aziz Bin Bazz on Page #61. Also stated as being weak by Shaikh Nasiruddeen Al-Albaani in his Daeef Sunan Abu Dawud in Kitab-ul-Libas under hadeeth number 4092 (which is the original hadeeth number.) It has also been mentioned in the magazine called "Al Hijrah" that Ulama agree this hadeeth is weak.)

An other thing that shows the weakness of this hadith is that after the ayah for hijab (Surah Al-Ahzaab – Verse #59) was revealed then the women of Sahaba wore a complete veil and covered the faces and hands. This includes Asmaa (Radhiallaahu Ánha) the daughter of Abu Bakr, who is supposed to have narrated this hadeeth. Asmaa (Radhiallaahu Ánha) covered herself completely including the face, this has been narrated in authentic hadeeth in Imaam Malik's "MUWATTA Book 20 Hadeeth # 20.5.16."

England
03-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Some people have a foot fetish... :giggling:

S_87
03-24-2007, 09:10 PM

there is a hadith that indicates the feet of a woman is awrah.
ill havta find it though

ummAbdillah
03-24-2007, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

there is a hadith that indicates the feet of a woman is awrah.
ill havta find it though
Asalamu alaykum!

can you please share the hadith with us when you do find it,
thanks

ma salaam

Malaikah
03-24-2007, 11:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Apart from pediatrists, who wants to see people's stinky feet anyway?
If you make wudu five times a day... that shouldn't be an issue.:D

noodles
03-25-2007, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
There's nothing wrong in taking from all for schols of thought or even salafi or "******" school. Bottom line is that we should take what is from Quran and Sunnah regardless which school is saying it. However, it's recommended you stick to one madhab and follow them so its easier and lets confusing. Some madhabs are stricter than others but both are right. For instance, hanafi do 20 rakh taraweeh in ramadan and some other madhab might do only 11 or 8. Both are right as the propet *S* done it both ways, one madhab just took the "more" route and is doing more rather then less.

Also, there are people who tend to fall in the "pick and choose" mentality. Where they will pick and choose from different madhabs according to whatever they find supportive of their views. This is dangerous as you are starting to mock islam now and Allah. So normaly it's recommended you pick on madhab as you would pick on mentor and stick to that inshallah.
You know, I ask this because, there are many things I find attractive about each madhab. For instance, hanafi method of praying 20 rakats of taraweeh is more appealing to me than 11 or 8. Similarly, I find the hanbali method of raising our hands to our ears after 'Allahu akbar', appealing. There are many such examples that I find attractive in a manner of praying.

So I do both, but I'm wondering if it is disliked.

Oh and I am very sorry for straying off topic.

islamirama
03-25-2007, 04:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
You know, I ask this because, there are many things I find attractive about each madhab. For instance, hanafi method of praying 20 rakats of taraweeh is more appealing to me than 11 or 8. Similarly, I find the hanbali method of raising our hands to our ears after 'Allahu akbar', appealing. There are many such examples that I find attractive in a manner of praying.

So I do both, but I'm wondering if it is disliked.

Oh and I am very sorry for straying off topic.
All of that is from sunnah so you can choose option A (20 rakah) or option B (8 rakah) or what not. Islam is made easy for us in this way so if we want to do more we can and if we want to do less we can also. I don't see anything wrong in taking from all of the madhabs as everything is from Islam.

But I think they disliked so you don't get confused or have conflict of interest and then you could fall into sin if you start pick n chooose path.

For example. If a woman gives her milk to a someone's baby when he/she is under 2yrs of age. Wahab/salafi show the hadeeth that if it is 5 full sucklings then the child becomes part of her kin and her kids and he/she are siblings now (not allowed marry). The hanafi madhab is strict about it and says 2 sucklings is enough to be cautious. Now if a child grows up and starts liking the woman's daughter, but everybody is unsure how many sucklings it was. He could follow hanafi madhab and not do anything becuase 2 sucklings is enough to stop him. Or if he thinks its under 5 but maybe more than 2, then he could follow ******/salafi view of 5 to support his interests.

I believe thats why they say its disliked to not stick to one so that you don't fall into this self-interest mode and start making a mockery of Islam. Otherwise everything is from Islam and inshallah we can follow what we want. Like i'm hanafi but i don't do 20. I do more or less depending on how tired i'm on a particular day.

islamirama
03-25-2007, 04:12 PM
wearing socks solves all your problem :)

noodles
03-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks brother ^ really appreciate it :)

And yes Socks solve your problems :D and for the people who want to show off their Henna on their feet, get a pair of socks with design on them!!! ;D

S_87
03-26-2007, 12:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister-aisha
Asalamu alaykum!

can you please share the hadith with us when you do find it,
thanks

ma salaam

i havent found the exact hadith im looking for but this may be interesting
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref...r%20her%20feet

oh found it:

narrated Ibn Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allah :arabic5: said: “Whoever lets his garment drag out of pride, Allah will not look at him on the Day of Resurrection.” Umm Salamah said: “What should women do with their hems?” He said: “Let them down by a handspan.” She said: “But then their feet will be uncovered.” He said: “Then a cubit, but no more than that.”
tirmidhi,adu dawood, nasaai, ibn majah

IbnAbdulHakim
03-26-2007, 01:26 PM

did you know albaani was of the opinion that niqaab is sunnah, not waajib.

SubhanAllah my friend said this, is it true? :O

Mawaddah
03-26-2007, 01:30 PM
^ Yes that was his opinion.

He gave a few hadeeth too I can mention them if you want.

For example the hadeeth of Hajj, when Rasulullah said " Wa laa tantaqib al-mar'ah " (And the woman should not cover her face with Niqab)

The Sheikh Albani Rahimahullah said that the Prophets commandment here for the women not to wear Niqab clearly shows that it is not waajib.

There are other Hadeeth which he uses, but that's the main one Allahu A3lam.

However the women of Sheikh Albanis family all wore niqaab nevertheless.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-26-2007, 01:33 PM
^ lol jazakAllah khair

:wasalamex

islamirama
03-27-2007, 12:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ Yes that was his opinion.

He gave a few hadeeth too I can mention them if you want.

For example the hadeeth of Hajj, when Rasulullah said " Wa laa tantaqib al-mar'ah " (And the woman should not cover her face with Niqab)

The Sheikh Albani Rahimahullah said that the Prophets commandment here for the women not to wear Niqab clearly shows that it is not waajib.

There are other Hadeeth which he uses, but that's the main one Allahu A3lam.

However the women of Sheikh Albanis family all wore niqaab nevertheless.

There's a difference of opinion on wajibness of the niqaab with more schoalrs saying it is then it isn't. There are many things that are different do to different situations. For instance, you don't do niqaab during hajj becuase you are before Allah in His house, even there the scholars say to pull ur veil over ur head extended in such a way that no one can see your face from the sides or behind you.

Just becuase there's exceptions in certain situations does not negate the ruling itself.

Mawaddah
03-27-2007, 01:26 AM
^
Yes that's true, it's the opinion of the Majority of the Scholars are of the opinion that it is Waajib, And yes, the Daleels of it being Waajib are very strong,However we don't shun any woman who choses not to wear it.

Muezzin
03-27-2007, 01:27 AM
How did we go from feet to the Niqaab?

Head to toe, toe to head... :?

islamirama
03-27-2007, 03:23 AM
^
Yes that's true, it's the opinion of the Majority of the Scholars are of the opinion that it is Waajib, And yes, the Daleels of it being Waajib are very strong,However we don't shun any woman who choses not to wear it.
No, we should never shun any woman who doesn't wear the niqaab. We should encourage them but if they choose not to then it's between them and Allah, and we should not forget our duties toward them as Muslims and our rights over each ohter in faith.

Maimunah
03-30-2007, 09:07 AM
^
inshaAllah am gona start it no matter what my parents say:cry: make duaa that Allah keeps me steadfast sis

Talibatul Ilm
04-18-2007, 03:05 AM
about niqab and hajj, you're not supposed to wear the niqab but still if a sister practices this then there is no harm in still covering her face when men are around her during hajj.

inshaAllah sis its easy for you. there is no niqabi i know whos parents didnt give them a hard time, unfortunately. its all for the sake of Allah! inshaAllah

Umm Yoosuf
04-18-2007, 03:12 PM

This thread has gone way off topic.

Therefore:

:threadclo

:wasalamex

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.