/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How educated are you?

جوري
03-24-2007, 04:09 PM
I just want to conduct an anonymous poll... you don't have to write what you do for a living if you don't want... but I'd appreciate if you'd participate in the poll. I just want to get an idea of how many people pursue or wish to pursue a higher education....

thank you
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
shible
03-24-2007, 04:20 PM
hey Sis

how to check in case if we have finished our masters degree and working

Maarya
03-24-2007, 04:20 PM
:sl:

well, i'm going to do my GCSEs in the summer and do A-levels at school and then go to uni, insh'allah :)

strider
03-24-2007, 04:22 PM
I am a Muslim currently doing my A-Levels, working my way towards admittance into an excellent university to further study psychology though i'm unsure of what field to concentrate on yet.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
shible
03-24-2007, 04:22 PM

I have finished my Masters degree in Computer Application.

and now about to start my work from the first week of next month

جوري
03-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Mashallah...can anyone tell me how to revise the poll so I can include all those who are done... I aplogize... let me ask one of the mods

thank you all for sharing this with me

ummAbdillah
03-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Asalamu Alaykum
i am starting college in september inshallah,
wa salaam

جوري
03-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Brother alpha dude has added a couple more polls to accommodate those of you who are done with Bachelors or masters and those of you thinking of attending uni but haven't yet decided on a career path.. so we thank him and you for your participation...

shible
03-24-2007, 04:42 PM
I have no idea of going for a higher degree for now

since my Present degree is recognized as Professional Degree.

and moreover if i am to go for a higher degree then it would be much harder in India to find a job on IT(Information Technology)

Woodrow
03-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Two more options have been added

shible
03-24-2007, 05:18 PM
and i have voted now thanks Bro

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-24-2007, 06:24 PM
muslim in high skool (A) lol whoa u rote loads 4 d poll init :S

Helena
03-24-2007, 07:15 PM
seeking knwledge from cradle to death......its a hadith i think...cant remember...

erm to ur poll sis...well am currently 3yr student studying BA Education studies! alhamdulilah...

shible
03-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Muslim :: Book 34 : Hadith 6462
'Abdullah b. 'Amr b. al-'As reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Verily, Allah does not take away knowledge by snatching it from the people but He takes away knowledge by taking away the scholars, so that when He leaves no learned person, people turn to ignorant as their, leaders; then they are asked to deliver religious verdicts and they deliver them without knowledge, they go astray, and lead others astray.

shible
03-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Dawud :: Book 25 : Hadith 3656
Narrated AbuHurayrah:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: If anyone acquires knowledge of things by which Allah's good pleasure is sought, but acquires it only to get some worldly advantage, he will not experience the arf, i.e. the odour, of Paradise.

Woodrow
03-24-2007, 07:52 PM

I was told this a long time ago:

"The fallacy of youth is it believes Education is a substitute for experience. The fallacy of age is it believes experience is a substitute for education."

I remember a long time ago and I got my BA & BS Degrees. I was quite arrogant and actually quite obnoxious over completing the Degree requirements for both at the same time. My step-father who had no formal education, looked at me and said some words to this effect. " Son stand on those 2 scraps of paper, cause that is only how much taller they made you."

iqbal_soofi
03-24-2007, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

I was told this a long time ago:

"The fallacy of youth is it believes Education is a substitute for experience. The fallacy of age is it believes experience is a substitute for education."

I remember a long time ago and I got my BA & BS Degrees. I was quite arrogant and actually quite obnoxious over completing the Degree requirements for both at the same time. My step-father who had no formal education, looked at me and said some words to this effect. " Son stand on those 2 scraps of paper, cause that is only how much taller they made you."

As you said your step father had no education. Therefore he didn't know the value of degrees. For him a degree is just a piece of paper. He didn't know how much you and your teachers had to whork hard to get this degree. The books you read during the course of your education are full of knowledge based on experiences of many human beings over the thousands of years. Maybe your stepfather doesn't know that you obtained those degrees not just for the pieces of paper but as a landmark of knowledge (if you seriously studied for knowledge and not just for degrees).

You should be proud of your degrees, but I don't see any point why an educated person should be arrogant. That could be some inherited attitude problem which couldn't be fixed by education. However, proper education makes people humble and wise. They don't teach arrogance at all.

Woodrow
03-24-2007, 09:03 PM

Well I will say my stepfather did achieve many more financial gains in his life time than I have in mine. By the time he passed away he had a fair number of patents and owned a few factories to produce his inventions.

Myself, I only managed to have a small pension to retire on. In spite of spending most of my life in the world of Academics, I achieved very few permanent material gains. However, I did accomplish all I needed and it was sufficient to direct me to spend my now twilight years as a Muslim. So, in that way I did gain from education.

Keltoi
03-24-2007, 09:13 PM
I have two B.A.s, one in History and another in Political Science. After that I was able to obtain my Master's Degree in History. That was more than enough school for me..now I just read books if I want to learn something.

deen_2007
03-24-2007, 09:22 PM
^^ wow keltoi....history sounds kool...

wel im currently a undergraduate , studying psychology. next yrs my final yr!

everyone pls make dua 4 me, that i do well this yr & in my final yr!

Woodrow
03-24-2007, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I have two B.A.s, one in History and another in Political Science. After that I was able to obtain my Master's Degree in History. That was more than enough school for me..now I just read books if I want to learn something.
Very good combination. Require and develop skills in critical analysis and logical projection. Beneficial for careers in either commerce or academics.

The Ruler
03-24-2007, 09:34 PM

i'm a muslim in secondary school.

that is not in the options...so i'm not voting.

جوري
03-24-2007, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+

i'm a muslim in secondary school.

that is not in the options...so i'm not voting.

What is secondary school? the first two options cover Muslims and non-Muslims who haven't made it yet to high school yet... High school being grades (9-12)... I am not sure how the British system runs.... but there is elementary, middle and high school here in the U.S ... if secondary school means either elementary or middle school then the first question of the poll would apply to you dear sis...

Maarya
03-24-2007, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
What is secondary school? the first two options cover Muslims and non-Muslims who haven't made it yet to high school yet... High school being grades (9-12)... I am not sure how the British system runs.... but there is elementary, middle and high school here in the U.S ... if secondary school means either elementary or middle school then the first question of the poll would apply to you dear sis...
she's attention seeking, and she's very picky.
she knows what the polls mean lol :D she's muslim in high school :D

dnt worry, am only sayin this coz she's in most of my classes :enough!: lol

جوري
03-24-2007, 09:49 PM
lol sorry... I have to get with the program... I am surprised to see so many young members here from high school Masha'Allah.. Delightful to see them take interest in Islam and learning and writing as an extracurricular activity... such things were unheard of when I was in school... eek...

strider
03-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Rooh, vote for high school.

The general outline of the British schooling system is as follows (it differs in some aspects depending on the institution you study at):

Compulsory education:

Reception/Nursery - 4 yrs of age
Primary school- years 1-6 ages 5-11
Secondary school- years 7-11 ages 12-16
-compulsory education ends at 16-
Further education:
6th form (lower and upper) - years 12-13 ages 16-18
Alternatively, many students also choose to do practical courses which are usually 3 years long.
Then, one can choose to go to university.

Maarya
03-24-2007, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Rooh, vote for high school.

The general outline of the British schooling system is as follows (it differs in some aspects depending on the institution you study at):

Compulsory education:

Reception/Nursery - 4 yrs of agePrimary school- years 1-6 ages 5-11
Secondary school- years 7-11 ages 12-16
-compulsory education ends at 16-
Further education:
6th form (lower and upper) - years 12-13 ages 16-18
Alternatively, many students also choose to do practical courses which are usually 3 years long.
Then, one can choose to go to university.
nursery starts at age 3

جوري
03-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Shokran ukhty... that is fascinating.. I am not sure I understand though --so British systems go only up to grade 11?.. then the last year of high school is not mandatory? Can you go from grade 11 to university?

How do your medical schools work? do you have to have a bachelors or at least have done all your basic sciences before pursuing medicine or can you go all one shot ( 7 yrs )as is often the case all over the world except here in the united states?

strider
03-24-2007, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maarya
nursery starts at age 3
I was actually puzzling over that. Thank you for correcting me though. :)

strider
03-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Shokran ukhty... that is fascinating.. I am not sure I understand though --so British systems go only up to grade 11?.. then the last year of high school is not mandatory? Can you go from grade 11 to university?
I think year 11 is equvilent to grade 12 in the states. I could be mistaken though. Either way, compulsory education ends at 16 though the government have tabled proposals to raise the leaving age to 18 starting 2013. You can't go directly onto university, as you first need to acquire the necessary grades at college/6th form doing A-levels to get onto your preferred university course.

How do your medical schools work? do you have to have a bachelors or at least have done all your basic sciences before pursuing medicine or can you go all one shot ( 7 yrs )as is often the case all over the world except here in the united states?
I think A levels in at least 2 sciences are compulsory. I maybe wrong though as i don't know much about medicine, it's just what i've observed from friends who wish to pursue a career in medicine.

جوري
03-24-2007, 10:10 PM
shokran ukhty... yes I think here in the U.S they will make summer vacation shorter, I am not sure?-- so kids can spend more days in school!... Japanese kids I believe attend the most number of days in school... - supplemented with all sorts of extracurricular activities... kids shouldn't be left to their devices with so much free time on their hands.... back in the ole country when I was a "yungin" we didn't even have a two day weekend-- I think they should bring back the one day weekend as well! I know my niece and nephew would probably want to crucify me for such statements -- but I stand by them

iqbal_soofi
03-25-2007, 12:19 AM

Well I will say my stepfather did achieve many more financial gains in his life time than I have in mine. By the time he passed away he had a fair number of patents and owned a few factories to produce his inventions.

Myself, I only managed to have a small pension to retire on. In spite of spending most of my life in the world of Academics, I achieved very few permanent material gains. However, I did accomplish all I needed and it was sufficient to direct me to spend my now twilight years as a Muslim. So, in that way I did gain from education.
Well, he must be a genius then. He could have done even better if he was properly educated. Education always enhances your skills and thinking abilities if you take education serious and not just for the sake of getting a degree. As you mentioned yourself in your previous post that you were arrogant even after you got two degrees. Moreoever, I can't understand the point of getting two same level degrees in two very different kinds of fields. I looks like you were more interested making yourself look taller with your degrees. In this case he made an approperiate comment on you. I hope you'll take it positively and try to make yourself look taller with your education instead of your degrees.

Maimunah
03-25-2007, 12:24 AM
what cant u ask us abt the true knolwedge i.e. the deen of Allah.

Natural
03-25-2007, 12:26 AM
I am one of those Muslimahs that has a Ph.D. Masha'Allah! Although I know several people who have more than one doctorate, I do not think I will be pursuing another one. Interesting poll and replies. [BANANA]YAY![/BANANA]

جوري
03-25-2007, 12:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by iqbal_soofi
Well, he must be a genius then. He could have done even better if he was properly educated. Education always enhances your skills and thinking abilities if you take education serious and not just for the sake of getting a degree. As you mentioned yourself in your previous post that you were arrogant even after you got two degrees. Moreoever, I can't understand the point of getting two same level degrees in two very different kinds of fields. I looks like you were more interested making yourself look taller with your degrees. In this case he made an approperiate comment on you. I hope you'll take it positively and try to make yourself look taller with your education instead of your degrees.
I hope that DOCTOR Woodrow doesn't dignify your post with a response the same way all of us just ignore most of your ill thought posts! If you wished to critique someone for the kind of education they have or don't have, I'd start by working on both your vocabulary and people skills!

peace!

iqbal_soofi
03-25-2007, 12:44 AM
I hope that DOCTOR Woodrow doesn't dignify your post with a response the same way all of us just ignore most of your ill thought posts! If you wished to critique someone for the kind of education they have or don't have, I'd start by working on both your vocabulary and people skills!

peace!
You took me wrong. I was trying to tell that the degrees for which you seriously study for so many years are not just pieces of paper. So please don't look like a graduate who has no knowledge but went to college just for the sake of a degree. If you're a graduate, then show it with your knowledge, not with your arrogance or your ignorance. I don't know why some people speak against education and still like to be called educated. There's nothing better than education. Education is the best gift a father can give to his child. Our holy prophet felt the deficiency of education all his life. Therefore, he always gave emphasis on education.

Woodrow
03-25-2007, 02:41 AM
My forte was physiological psychology and as a prerequisite for the field I needed undergrad degrees in both Psychology and Biology. At that time the school I attended for my undergrad work still considered psychology to be a branch of philosophy so that was why I ended up with the BA in Psychology and the BS in Biology.

As far as trying to make myself taller in regards to my education is now a very moot point I have been retired for 17 years come August of this year. I had to retire at the age of 50 for Health reasons.

Woodrow
03-25-2007, 02:57 AM
You took me wrong. I was trying to tell that the degrees for which you seriously study for so many years are not just pieces of paper. So please don't look like a graduate who has no knowledge but went to college just for the sake of a degree. If you're a graduate, then show it with your knowledge, not with your arrogance or your ignorance. I don't know why some people speak against education and still like to be called educated. There's nothing better than education. Education is the best gift a father can give to his child. Our holy prophet felt the deficiency of education all his life. Therefore, he always gave emphasis on education.

Brother, you brought up some very good points. It took me many years to discover that the best education does not always result in a diploma. I brought out about my Step-Father not having a formal Education, to indicate that a diploma is not a criteria for success. At the time he came to America very few people had above a 6th grade education, and many of the courses that now grant degrees were not even offered at any schools. In those days most education came from the school of hard knocks and working for free under a skilled person.

It was for those reasons he came down on me for my arrogance, and rightfully so. It did take me time to understand the value of using an education to try to help others. But, I still believe my greates achievement was when I said the Shahadah.

syilla
03-25-2007, 03:04 AM
This thread make me feel guilty :hmm:

shible
03-25-2007, 03:36 AM
In case if i wish to continue or start a new course.

Then i am interested in Linguistics. Through which i can learn many other languages.

How many are aware of this linguistics section guys

And i would also like to practice Developmental Psychology in case i get a chance

Woodrow
03-25-2007, 03:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible
In case if i wish to continue or start a new course.

Then i am interested in Linguistics. Through which i can learn many other languages.

How many are aware of this linguistics section guys

And i would also like to practice Developmental Psychology in case i get a chance
Developmental Psychology is quite interesting. Here in the States it is often offered with the option of taking it as a major credit for either a psychology degree or for an Education Degree.

Be certain that the school teaches it with a multi discipline approach and not just as behaviorism.

shible
03-25-2007, 04:06 AM
Sure

But my first interest is Linguistics.

Since if i don't know the language of other people then how could i interact with them and deliver my thoughts.

Woodrow
03-25-2007, 04:26 AM
Linguistics has a tendency to engulf you if you pursue a following in Psychology or any of the social sciences. You will almost certainly be required to take at least 2 years of German. a year in Greek and at least one of the romance languages usually Italian or French although I believe some schools are beginning to push Portuguese for the Romance language.

These days it seems people need to be fluent in at least 2 languages. Have a working knowledge of 4 and have had exposure to at least 7.

To me a good goal would be to try to acquire skills in Arabic, English, Spanish, Russian, German and Mandarin Chinese.

جوري
03-25-2007, 04:31 AM
I think you can teach yourself language on the side without having to sign up for a special course... I get a 7 emails per day of new words... tons of sites to subscribe to that will send it automatically to your email box... one that is particularly amusing is travalang... you can of course limit yourself to one or two languages... I just look at a few simultaneousely just to see similarities.. the great kick is you can click on a link and they will sound it out for you... sometimes they have a whole sentence...

http://www.travlang.com/wordofday/change.html
Word of the Day for Tue Mar 20:
"Passport"
Hello , Below are the languages you requested:

Click on a linked word below to hear it spoken.
Afrikaans Paspoort
Albanian pasaportë
Amharic Passport
Arabic Gawaz Safar
Armenian passport
Asturian pasaporte
Azerbaijani - Pasport
Basque Pasaporte
Bengali Passport
Bosnian Pasosx
Breton ar pasport
Bulgarian pasport
Cantonese woo jiu
Catalan Passaport
Chipewyan tt-oh kk-ey ney nehne hoh tts-een ney ree-ttl-eese
Cornish tremengummyas
Creole Pasé
Croatian putovnica
Czech pas
Dagaare Sorituugan / paasepOOto
Danish Pas
Dutch Paspoort
English Passport
Esperanto Pasporto
Estonian välispass
Eurish Passaportu
Farsi Passport
Finnish Passi
French le passeport
Frisian Paspoart
Galician Passaporte - Pasaporte
Georgian p'asp'ort'i
German Reisepaß
Greek diabatirio
Gujarati paasporT
Hawaiian palapala ho`ápono
Hebrew Darkon
Hindi passport
Holooe Hö.-chiàu
Hungarian Útlevél
Icelandic Vegabréf
Ido Pasporto
Indonesian Paspor
Interlingua Passaporto
Irish pas
Italian Passaporto
Japanese Pasupooto
Korean Yok-kwon
Latin Diploma, Chartula
Latvian pase
Lithuanian Pasas
Luganda Paasipoti
Malaysian paspot
Mandarin hù zhào
Marshallese peejpoot
Mazahua pasapórte
Norwegian Pass
Occitan passapòrt
Polish Paszport
Portuguese Passaporte
Brazilian Portuguese Passaporte
Quechua ??
Romanian Pas'aport
Russian Passport
Serbian pasosx
Sesotho Pasporoto
Sinhala Passport Eka.
Slovak Pas
Slovenian Potni list
Spanish el pasaporte
Swahili Pasi, Pasipoti
Swedish Pass
Tagalog Pasaporte
Thai passport, nangsue-deun-thaang
Tswana pasepote
Turkish pasaport
Ukrainian pasport
Vietnamese Hô. chiê'u
Welsh Trwydded teithio, Pasbort
Wolof [Passport]
Xhosa ipasi
Yiddish pasport
Zulu ipasi lokuhamba

shible
03-25-2007, 04:34 AM

To me a good goal would be to try to acquire skills in Arabic, English, Spanish, Russian, German and Mandarin Chinese.
I would also recommend hindhi .

In india instead of going on universities there are specific centers that coach on various languages.

Hope i could improve myself in next two years and who knows if all goes well then i would also be moving for onsite projects for Overseas which also includes US and UK.

If i am to come to US then i shall first inform you Bro.... so that i can meet you in person and share some words

And i shall also Update where i shall be moving so that i could meet few of our Forum members in those cities and countries

Woodrow
03-25-2007, 05:03 AM
I would also recommend hindhi .

In india instead of going on universities there are specific centers that coach on various languages.

Hope i could improve myself in next two years and who knows if all goes well then i would also be moving for onsite projects for Overseas which also includes US and UK.

If i am to come to US then i shall first inform you Bro.... so that i can meet you in person and share some words

And i shall also Update where i shall be moving so that i could meet few of our Forum members in those cities and countries
Possibly as part of your studies you may end up in Austin. Both Baylor University and the University of Texas here have very many students from India. Baylor seems to attract many that are pursuing the medical fields.

BlissfullyJaded
03-25-2007, 05:18 AM

I'm Muslim, and currently in college. Afterwards I plan to transfer to uni to get my BA, most probably in Child Psychology.

shible
03-25-2007, 05:25 AM
how to log in i entered my email id in the specified but it says email id is incorrect.

can u guide ways to sign-in

shible
03-25-2007, 05:27 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

I'm Muslim, and currently in college. Afterwards I plan to transfer to uni to get my BA, most probably in Child Psychology.
So sis u wish to Strengthen the Basic level of Beliefs i think..........:statisfie

جوري
03-25-2007, 02:18 PM
how to log in i entered my email id in the specified but it says email id is incorrect.

can u guide ways to sign-in
go here http://www.travlang.com/wordofday/
and register.. I sent in the link for people who already have an account and wished to make alterations..
my humble apologies...

Sanobar
03-25-2007, 03:42 PM
ermm.. am a muslim .. finished my high school a few days bac.. going to get into college ina few months time! inshaAllah.. wud get a bachelors degree in accountancy and commerce... inshaAllah!:)

England
03-25-2007, 04:53 PM
I am non muslim. I have finished school and done my GCSEs. The only GCSE I backed out of was religious education as it bored the hell out of me. I wasn't interested in Buddhism, Sikhism, Islam, Judaism.
I am doing an apprenticeship course as an electrician in the coming weeks. For 3 years it will be free and then my last year I will have to pay for it myself.

iqbal_soofi
03-25-2007, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
I am non muslim. I have finished school and done my GCSEs. The only GCSE I backed out of was religious education as it bored the hell out of me. I wasn't interested in Buddhism, Sikhism, Islam, Judaism.
What about Christianity? Don't you think it's a religion too?

I can understand about your disinterest in religious education because there's no connection between electricity and religions. Religions don't guide you how to handle electrical wires or to fix electrical installations. However, study of different religions is very important these days because you cannot avoid the religious fanatics. You cannot handle em with bare hands because there's a very high voltage current running through them. You could find a plenty of em on roads like outdated and broken electrical wires that don’t supply power to the intended machinery these days but electrocute everyone. We got to learn some ways to fix em. You should know from where they get the deadly current from. It’s only possible if you study different religions.

England
03-25-2007, 05:34 PM
What about Christianity? Don't you think it's a religion too?

I can understand about your disinterest in religious education because there's no connection between electricity and religions. Religions don't guide you how to handle electrical wires or to fix electrical installations. However, study of different religions is very important these days because you cannot avoid the religious fanatics. You cannot handle em with bare hands because there's a very high voltage current running through them. You could find a plenty of em on roads like outdated and broken electrical wires that don’t supply power to the intended machinery these days but electrocute everyone. We got to learn some ways to fix em. You should know from where they get the deadly current from. It’s only possible if you study different religions.
Christianity I had a SLIGHT interest in as in some parts of Christianity I believe in but I don't believe in it all, ie: trinity. But for the RE GCSE the religions were split between everyone in the group, some people had Christianity, Buddhism, Sikhism etc. I had, funnily enough, the topic of Islam. I knew nothing about it. It was foreign to me, bare in mind this was in May 2001. I didn't know what Islam was.
To be quite frank I'd be the same now. I have no interest in other religions at all. I didn't care what people believe. I found the whole topic boooring.

shible
03-25-2007, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
To be quite frank I'd be the same now. I have no interest in other religions at all. I didn't care what people believe. I found the whole topic boooring.
It's not your fault on the whole,

It is a stage in life when you feel yourself like that.

I too have experienced some different stages in life

We use to watch T.v atleast for half an hour but after half an hour we don't really feel like we understood what we saw.

We feel like our hands won't move something like they are glued

we feel like we are the only people in the world and the world feels kinda empty...

No interest in anything (clothing, Food, Friends, Mobile, Relation, Family, Entertainment). And feel like we are missing something though we seem to have all.

An emptiness filling our whole mind and heart a kind of unexplainable feeling

Well u will sure realize the real value of Life Bro

noodles
03-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Currently in college first year, pursuing Environmental Design, although I wanted to get into University for either civil engineering or chemical engineering, but with my current marks, it wasn't possible. So I opted to go to college and get a transfer from there. I have to wait it out to see how its going to go next year, and hopefully I may be able to transfer the year after.

I am looking into universities in the U.S or U.K that would allow admission through exams. Hopefully, you may be able to suggest some well known programs out there.

(Great!! now it sounds like I'm being a lazy bum and not doing the research myself. Although that is not the case :X )

Anyway, I hope and pray to Allah that these problems get resolved in the coming years. Ameen. :thumbs_up :blind:

M2A^AKIB^
03-25-2007, 11:03 PM
High School :D

جوري
03-26-2007, 05:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
Currently in college first year, pursuing Environmental Design, although I wanted to get into University for either civil engineering or chemical engineering, but with my current marks, it wasn't possible. So I opted to go to college and get a transfer from there. I have to wait it out to see how its going to go next year, and hopefully I may be able to transfer the year after.

I am looking into universities in the U.S or U.K that would allow admission through exams. Hopefully, you may be able to suggest some well known programs out there.

(Great!! now it sounds like I'm being a lazy bum and not doing the research myself. Although that is not the case :X )

Anyway, I hope and pray to Allah that these problems get resolved in the coming years. Ameen. :thumbs_up :blind:
Everyone meets with a few rough bumps on the road --just hang tough and stay the course... when bad things happen you can dwell or you can saddle up, take the path less traveled and find your way back on track.. I don't believe you to be a lazy bum to speak with such brutual honesty of your person
you'll be alright Insh'allah :)

snakelegs
03-26-2007, 08:18 AM
discrimination!!! no space for drop outs!
i am a non-muslim drop out.

north_malaysian
03-26-2007, 08:48 AM
I have a law degree and have been practising for 2 years.......

Thinking of pursuing a higher degree......... but not now......:okay:

north_malaysian
03-26-2007, 08:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
Eh!!!! I thought you have a PhD or something........... you're so knowledgable......

Snowflake
03-26-2007, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE]
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
I think year 11 is equvilent to grade 12 in the states. I could be mistaken though. Either way, compulsory education ends at 16 though the government have tabled proposals to raise the leaving age to 18 starting 2013. You can't go directly onto university, as you first need to acquire the necessary grades at college/6th form doing A-levels to get onto your preferred university course.
Or if you haven't got the necessary qualifications, you can do a 1year 'access course' (equivalent to 3 A levels) to get into uni. :phew

Strzelecki
03-26-2007, 08:59 AM
'I am a non-muslim in high school'

north_malaysian
03-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Malaysian paspot
....the correct spelling is "PASPORT":D

Asyur an-Nagi
03-26-2007, 10:18 AM
good post:)

Protected_Diamond
03-26-2007, 10:20 AM
I am a muslim whos future’s with Allah :)

The Ruler
03-26-2007, 10:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
nope, it passport.

format_quote Originally Posted by Maarya
she's attention seeking, and she's very picky.
she knows what the polls mean lol

she's muslim in high school

i'm not picky...and i never understand this high school stuff in America...so i'll just go with the flow and say 'i'm a muslim in high school'...Alhamdulillah.

shible
03-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Knowledge what we gain in schools and Uni's help us get a better job.

But the knowledge of experience that we gain is the knowledge for knowing more abt us.....

So don't think u r a dropout since not most people were High graded in general life.

Even some great educated guy forget to look into the basic and simple life lessons.

That's why i refer Everyone to a Flower. Which has it's own abilities.........

queenmuslimah
03-26-2007, 12:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deen_2007
^^ wow keltoi....history sounds kool...

wel im currently a undergraduate , studying psychology. next yrs my final yr!

everyone pls make dua 4 me, that i do well this yr & in my final yr!
nice..........psychology............i was thinking of becaming that once i graduate from high school inshallah................anything psychology i need to be aware of let me kno jazakallahu khayran.........

aamirsaab
03-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Muslim (honest!) attending Uni - 1st year.

How educated are you?
Very. :statisfie

Woodrow
03-26-2007, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by queenmuslimah
nice..........psychology............i was thinking of becaming that once i graduate from high school inshallah................anything psychology i need to be aware of let me kno jazakallahu khayran.........

The first step is to take a course in General Psychology to learn of the many different fields of psychology and the different disciplines in each. Youalso need to understand that the common concept of "pop"psychology is not psychology.

Some fields of psychology can be haram, especially in the areas of developmental and child psychology as with some of the disciplines of behavior modification.

Although psychology has been recognized as field of science for over 100 years now, it is still a "new" science and there are still some of the old teachings that go back to the days it was considered a branch of philosophy.

Be cautious of the reasons you want to enter into the field and be aware that, you may have some misconceptions as to what it is that a psychologist does. There are only a few areas that deal with direct counseling of people. Most of psychology is more mathematics and forming mathematical models for measuring different aspects of behavior. some areas such as physiological psychology are more akin to biology than to sociology.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-26-2007, 01:27 PM
:salamext:

Muslim - Working - Been through A levels

thats about it lol, does that mean im uneducated :eek:

جوري
03-26-2007, 02:40 PM
I know I find grave errors in Travalong especially in Arabic-- but the french is ok! and I glance over Hebrew and German just to enahnce but I don't take it as the final authority-- I am subscribed to other words per day :D

جوري
03-26-2007, 02:45 PM
You are all very educated Mash'Allah... I am very impressed with all your persons... I just wanted to contrast this with an article I had read of Muslim earnings in the U.S compared with the non-muslims but I didn't see many non-muslim participants...

The report said Middle Eastern immigrants were highly educated, with 49 percent holding at least a bachelor's degree, compared to 28 percent of natives.

Median earnings for Middle Eastern men were $39,000 a year compared to $38,000 for native workers.

they tend to be better-educated than native U.S. residents — about half hold bachelor's degrees, compared to 28 percent of natives. They also perform as well economically as natives — 30- and 40-year-old Middle Eastern males with a college education have the same median income as natives, and Middle East immigrants are more likely be self-employed.

and here yet another report!

Middle Eastern Immigrants in U.S. Educated, Prosperous, Study Says
Gannett News Service, August 15, 2002

(Also ran in Arizona Republic - 8/15)

WASHINGTON — Middle Eastern immigrants in the United States are well educated, earn more money than most Americans and are predominantly Muslim, according to a report released Wednesday.

They also are among the nation's fastest-growing immigrant groups, according to the report issued by the Center for Immigration Studies in Washington, a think tank that supports reducing the number of immigrants to the United States.

The report says the number of Middle Eastern immigrants increased from fewer than 200,000 in 1970 to almost 1.5 million in 2000. The overall number of foreign-born residents in the United States tripled to 31 million over the same period.

The report offers a rare portrait of an immigrant group that has received intense scrutiny and negative publicity since the Sept. 11 attacks.
Project MAPS, a survey of "Muslims in the American Public Square" conducted in 2001-2002 by researchers at Georgetown University, found that 86 percent of all Muslim professionals were concentrated in three careers: engineering, computer science, and medicine. Law, law enforcement, and politics accounted for a minuscule 0.6 percent. American Muslims, some demographers say, have also been voting well below their numbers in the population -- registering to vote at only half the national rate, according to the 2001 American Religious Identification Survey [PDF], a project of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. "If they ever did play to their weight" in the electoral arena and in Washington, Muslims "would be a much more considerable force in public policy-making," says Steve Clemons, a Democrat who directs the American Strategy Program at the New America Foundation in Washington.

shible
03-26-2007, 03:53 PM
That really seems to be informative,

Thanks Sis,

جوري
03-26-2007, 06:24 PM
That really seems to be informative,

Thanks Sis,
my pleasure... I'd pass reputes to all of you who have participated but I always seem to go over my RDA allowance.....^o)

snakelegs
03-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Eh!!!! I thought you have a PhD or something........... you're so knowledgable......
thanks, but whatever little i've learned has been on my own.
i developed an extremely strong allergy to formal education at an early age amd never recovered.
(i don't mind tho).

Muezzin
03-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Well... I can read.

:p

I also study law.

جوري
03-27-2007, 01:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Well... I can read.

:p

Good enough and if you can pick a fantastic bag of crispy carrots-- Then I believe you are set for life!............

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-27-2007, 03:05 AM
Ummm, I'm in my second year of uni and working towards my bachelors as of now. But I got a feeling I'll be getting married by then....lol.

north_malaysian
03-27-2007, 08:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+
nope, it passport.
Nope... in Malay Language it's PASPORT not PASPOT.

Woodrow
03-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Nope... in Malay Language it's PASPORT not PASPOT.
No matter how you pronounce it here in the US and the boundry between Mexico and the USA passport is more properly pronounced ingenuity

There is a reason why on the Mexican side the Rio Grande is called the Rio Bravo (River of the Brave)

watch this short video:

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u...JumpstheBo.flv

Al-Zaara
03-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Muslim in highschool.

Asyur an-Nagi
03-28-2007, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i thought you were a PhD in Social Science, Art, or something like that. :giggling:

speaking of drop out, a cocky headmaster once dropped me out from my high school for a brawl against my sport-teacher:D i was lucky enough that another school finally accepted my hot head for the rest of the year.

well, if there IS a place for the drop outters, let me be one of the mods:thumbs_up

H4RUN
03-28-2007, 05:15 PM
What if i was to say i dropped out after i dropped a few other people:p
and then was set for life funnily enough....on street corners selling 64 carrat diamonds, 24 carrat rings, and no they weren't stolen, they were handmade in italy, hand smuggled into london heathrow, they weren't stolen, just not paid for:D additionally i can get hold of plastic buckets, top hats, cordless phones straight out of japan.... the works!

Educated on the street:D achieved, selling my top of the range goods:D

OR
Gcse's completed:D about the highest achievements i've got thus far on paper, into college, inshaAllah out of college in a couple of years...into uni and then we take it from there:D

جوري
03-28-2007, 05:25 PM
^^^ nothing wrong with a 64 "carrot" ring it is good for you....

Muezzin
03-29-2007, 01:59 AM
There's too much subliminal messaging in this thread prejudicing people against vegetables and rabbits.

جوري
03-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmn-- there is such a thing as "Carotenemia" or "Carotenodermia"-- and that is an honest truth!
then people end up looking like this

So no subliminal messages... just a concern ;D

Khadijah79
04-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Insh'allah I'll be going to uni and doing a masters on Sharia Law :D

Aisha!
05-24-2007, 03:41 AM
im in high school lol

truemuslim
01-28-2008, 09:06 PM
oh an ancient thread...i voted..and i am one of the ones that only have 1 vote (*embarrassed*) not tellin which...its for me to kno and u to find out..

Mysterious Uk
01-28-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm currently at uni, i had a week off and go back 2moro.. soooooooo can't be botherd.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.