/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion re children

samah12
03-26-2007, 12:19 AM
I just read the thread of a new member who is 11 years old. It is my first day as a member and already I have found out how 'aggresive' the discussions can be. is it possible to denote who are children so people will be more polite to them and explain things in a way they can understand?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noodles
03-26-2007, 12:26 AM
I honestly think that if people do find out each others age, they there would be much hostility on this board.

For instance, insults will start flying, such as "you're too young to understand", or perhaps ''you being such and such age, cant comprehend what I am going through", etc etc.

Perhaps, it would be a better idea to leave it as it.

I also think that age shouldn't matter when you are having a civil debate. But many abuse the rules and inturn create a bad name for our religion.

I try to warn people by telling them but I guess I'm ignored most of the time

As for explaining to them? Well they do say patience is a virtue.
In time they will understand, Inshallah.

samah12
03-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Nice reply noodles and I have to agree with you even though it was my suggestion, I just thought for someone so young maybe people wouldn't call them ignorant and such. I am a woman so I naturally worry about children.

samah12
03-26-2007, 12:39 AM
And before anyone gets the wrong idea I am not suggesting men do not worry about children, I just mean my maternal instincts are kicking in.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
03-26-2007, 12:50 AM
i don't think you have to worry about the kids here - they are pretty smart and seem very capable of understanding things. in fact, many of them are simply awesome!

samah12
03-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the reasurance snakeslegs. Perhaps I am overprotective, also I don't imagine the regular brothers and sisters would allow abuse of children. Just me being an old worrier, I will stand in the corner with the pointy hat on now.

deen_2007
03-26-2007, 01:04 AM
noodles right..and look at it this way....cos we no each others gender! women get certain stereotypes thrown @ them & men get saucepans thrown at them.... now n den....not really...but its all done in jokes & in soft manner...but still...one might not like it.

samah12
03-26-2007, 01:59 AM
I would answer but I can't because I'm standing in the corner with the pointy hat on because I didn't think it through before I started this thread.

deen_2007
03-26-2007, 02:03 AM
^^ a witch? lol...nah dnt worry...u said what u wanted...& every1 gave their opinion....thats good afterall ain't it?

samah12
03-26-2007, 02:05 AM
Of course it's good. A Muslimah and a witch, if I upset someone will I be stoned or burnt at the stake?

deen_2007
03-26-2007, 02:10 AM
no......u havnt upset no1...and no1 will stone u 4 anything ...why do u say that?

samah12
03-26-2007, 02:15 AM
It was a joke. I was so scared before I moved to an islamic country because I believed the stories of women being stoned to death for no reason, now I know it is more likely to be the women throwing stones at their husbands lol.

deen_2007
03-26-2007, 11:15 AM
^^^ ROFL......lol....so true!!

tomtomsmom
03-26-2007, 02:47 PM
samah12 I have often thought the same thing. That the younger crowd here might need extra protection. There are many "heated" debates here. But we have some of the best mods on the net. They try to keep the nastiness to a bare minimum and they watch out for all of us and not just the young ones. If you ever see a young person getting picked on or treated unkind then PM a mod asap and they will take care of it!!!!

Count DeSheep
03-26-2007, 05:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
samah12 I have often thought the same thing. That the younger crowd here might need extra protection. There are many "heated" debates here. But we have some of the best mods on the net. They try to keep the nastiness to a bare minimum and they watch out for all of us and not just the young ones. If you ever see a young person getting picked on or treated unkind then PM a mod asap and they will take care of it!!!!
Tch. That should apply to everyone, regardless of age. Part of the "being a good person" thing.

samah12
03-26-2007, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
Thankyou, I am pleased other people worry about the heated debates and the effect on young people. I dont know how to 'PM a mod' but I am sure if the situation arises I will work it out.

Count DeSheep
03-26-2007, 08:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by samah12
Thankyou, I am pleased other people worry about the heated debates and the effect on young people.
What effect? You say that like we're fish being pulled out of water.

samah12
03-26-2007, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Count DeSheep
What effect? You say that like we're fish being pulled out of water.
I don't know about you but I would not want my 11 year old child to be called ignorant or be told that violence is the only way forward for Islam. Whilst an 11 year old child has the option to leave a discussion or switch off the computer, their judgement is not yet fully developed and can be emotionally 'effected' (hurt) by being insulted.

Count DeSheep
03-26-2007, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by samah12
I don't know about you but I would not want my 11 year old child to be called ignorant or be told that violence is the only way forward for Islam. Whilst an 11 year old child has the option to leave a discussion or switch off the computer, their judgement is not yet fully developed and can be emotionally 'effected' (hurt) by being insulted.
I wouldn't want anybody to be called ignorant. If someone insults someone else, the post should be reported, no matter who's giving and who's receiving. There are people of all ages whose judgement is not yet fully developed, are there not? Or maybe it's just the communities I've been raised in that have intelligent children. And all the people my around my age I've met online. Keep in mind, your 11-year-old can encounter people who call him/her ignorant or be told that violence is the only way forward for Islam offline.

The forum rules say:
8. Honourable and dignified behaviour must be observed at all times, especially when replying to a post by a member of the opposite gender.

9. Beef will not be tolerated in any forum. Differences in opinion are expected, but please debate respectfully. (Beef are comments made for the purpose of insulting somebody else with negative intent, looking for a negative reaction, or blatantly insulting somebody)

As long as people abide by these rules, no one will be offended.

samah12
03-27-2007, 12:54 PM
I accept your point. I simply raised the suggestion because within 5 minutes of joining this site I was called ignorant in a rather insulting sentence. I then read an introduction of a new member who said they are 11 year old and I just thought that if their membership denoted that they are young then people would be less inclined to be so rude to them. I retract my suggestion.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.