/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Arabic translation

samah12
03-26-2007, 03:52 AM
Can anyone tell me whether the references in the Quran which talk about 'man' refer only to the male of our species or does it in some instances mean 'mankind', to include men and women? Are there different words in Arabic to mean man as in male and man as in mankind?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
samah12
03-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Anyone know the answer?

lolwatever
03-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Actually it most of the time delimits man to be mankind... e.g. "Ya ayyuhal insanu innaka kaadihun ilaa rabbika kadhan.." surat inshiqaq... Allah normally uses the word insan for mankind and 'rajul' specifically to reference to man, and 'imra-ah' for female..

also allah does reference to females specifically using 'irmahath'... e.g. surat tahreem and for example in baqarah regarding business transactions for example etc.

all the best :)

salams

Abu Ibraheem
03-26-2007, 07:51 PM
yaa ayyu han nas for example deals with mankind, it includes the woman, the twin half of man, simply man but with a different sex so we place a wo before the man. Or you can say the woman is a kind of man being that she was created from man but with a few different features. Indeed Allah intends both when He speaks the first fil amr in the Qur'an

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ اعْبُدُواْ رَبَّكُمُ الَّذِي خَلَقَكُمْ وَالَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind! Worship your Lord , Who hath created you and those before you , so that ye may become of those with taqwaa 2:21

And Allah knows best

also another interesting thing that i have wondered about is the word "miraatun" - meaning mirror which is simular to the arabic word for woman "imratun" , its quite interesting to say they have the same root letters.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
samah12
03-26-2007, 07:51 PM
AS

Thank you so much for this info, I can continue my study with more confidence now.

salaam

samah12
03-26-2007, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=Abu Ibraheem;696007]

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ اعْبُدُواْ رَبَّكُمُ الَّذِي خَلَقَكُمْ وَالَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind! Worship your Lord , Who hath created you and those before you , so that ye may become of those with taqwaa 2:21

And Allah knows best

QUOTE]

Sorry this leads me to another problem. I have 2 copies of the translated Quran (to cross reference the translations) the most frequently used has the original arabic, english translation and also each page has explanations. The quote above reads in my Quran 'O man! Worship your Lord'. As I can't read the arabic how do I know when Allah is referring to mankind? Or must I make assumptions based on the subject matter?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.