/* */

PDA

View Full Version : my guitars and lady ?

michaelconvert
03-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Salaam brothers and sisters in Islam

The first question i have is

If i sell my guitars will the money be haraam. Ive been playing the guitar for about 4 years now. The problem is i recently converted to Islam and i know stringed instruments are haraam. Its kinda hard to sell them off but thats what i gotta go. I also have a few more instruments that are haraam too. I know it might not sound like such a big thing to people who havent been so involved in music in their life. This last September my friend Chody and I preformed a song in front of like 1300 people. For the last 3 years ive been very involved in music and writing songs. I know i have to give it up. Im learning to recite An-Nas (mankind) i think it will help. But the point is.......... when i sell my instruments will the money be haraam.

second

This brother at the masjid said that there are no boyfriends and girlfriends in Islam. I understand the wisdom behind it and i can understand that Islam doesnt just prevent sin but the avenues that lead to sin. But i use to go out with this girl a few months ago. I really did like her but things kinda went sour. The problems are all gone now but i cant date because its haraam. I know i am a little young to be thinking about marriage but age doesnt always mean success. I really want to get her to convert to Islam. But also i know that Satan can easily turn a good deed sour. She is a devout Christian and i want to show her the right deen without insulting her religion. Ive listened to plenty of lectures on Dawa and such but i dont think that will work. Really im worried about all my friends. Its like im just sitting and watching them go into the hell fire. But they are young and care little about religion. Its just with me religion has always been so interesting and fun to learn about.

any help?

salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
E'jaazi
03-27-2007, 08:02 AM
I don't know if selling it would be haram. I will try to find the answer for you. As for girls, I say, learn this deen and seek out a righteous muslima for you to marry. That would be best. Check back in a few, Insha Allah.

Muslim Woman
03-27-2007, 08:11 AM

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&

format_quote Originally Posted by michaelconvert

If i sell my guitars will the money be haraam. Ive been playing the guitar for about 4 years now. The problem is i recently converted to Islam and i know stringed instruments are haraam. Its kinda hard to sell them off but thats what i gotta go. I also have a few more instruments that are haraam too. I know it might not sound like such a big thing to people who havent been so involved in music in their life. This last September my friend Chody and I preformed a song in front of like 1300 people. For the last 3 years ive been very involved in music and writing songs. I know i have to give it up. Im learning to recite An-Nas (mankind) i think it will help. But the point is.......... when i sell my instruments will the money be haraam.

second

This brother at the masjid said that there are no boyfriends and girlfriends in Islam. I understand the wisdom behind it and i can understand that Islam doesnt just prevent sin but the avenues that lead to sin. But i use to go out with this girl a few months ago. I really did like her but things kinda went sour. The problems are all gone now but i cant date because its haraam. I know i am a little young to be thinking about marriage but age doesnt always mean success. I really want to get her to convert to Islam. But also i know that Satan can easily turn a good deed sour. She is a devout Christian and i want to show her the right deen without insulting her religion. Ive listened to plenty of lectures on Dawa and such but i dont think that will work. Really im worried about all my friends. Its like im just sitting and watching them go into the hell fire. But they are young and care little about religion. Its just with me religion has always been so interesting and fun to learn about.

any help?

salaam

&&&

welcome to Islam :)

may Allah bless u in this life & the life hereafter , Ameen.

I m not qualified to give any ' fatwa' . So , i will try to look for the guitar question . In the meantime , u may search here

Ask The Scholar

Muslims men are allowed to marry Chrsitian women....may be it's not encouraged but allowed. Before taking any decision about marriage , pl. offer Ishthekhara prayer ( a special prayer to seek answer from God .....if u don't know about this , i will explain later Insha Allah ).

E'jaazi
03-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Sorry Bro., but I got to give it to you straight.

Question:

I reverted to Islam in September 99, Alhamdoulillah. I was a guitar player. I would like to know if it is possible for me to sell my guitars? And what about equipment such as microphones, mixers, computers… that actually can be used for other purposes than making music, can I sell these? If I can not sell anything, what shall I do with them?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We put this question to Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Jibreen (may Allaah preserve him), who answered as follows:

If they cannot be used for any permissible purpose – and these things can only be used for haraam purposes in most cases – then he has to destroy them. Whoever fears Allaah and does his duty towards Him, Allaah will show him a way out and grant him provision from sources he could never imagine.

For information on the rulings on music, please see question 5011 And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Jibreen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
michaelconvert
03-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Destroy them..........
but
but
tears!!!!!!!

i know i put to much into there instruments and in some ways maybe they have become idols themselves. But cant the money be used for zakat. Would that make it haraam? What about my amps. They can be used for mics..............and they arnt haraam.......... so i can sell my amps. It just seems like such a waste.

Snowflake
03-27-2007, 09:16 AM
=michaelconvert;696492]Salaam brothers and sisters in Islam

Yes it is haram.

"When Allah prohibits something. He prohibits the price paid for it."

Also Al-Bukhari & Muslim related that the Prophet (PBUH) was asked:

"O' Allah's Messenger! What about the fat of dead animals, for it is used for greasing the boats and the hides, and people use as oil for lamps?" He replied, "No it is prohibited."

From that we can gather that any profit made from selling haram stuff is thereby haram.

second

any help?

salaam
It is not permissable for you to meet in secrecy a ghair-mahram even for the sake of a good deed. May Allah reward your intentions. You can give the sister dawah material and forward the number of a scholar who will be happy to answer any questions she may wish to ask. Even the Prophets (PBUH) duty was to inform. But it is only Allah who guides. :)

:w:

Snowflake
03-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Destroy them..........
but
but
tears!!!!!!!

i know i put to much into there instruments and in some ways maybe they have become idols themselves. But cant the money be used for zakat. Would that make it haraam? What about my amps. They can be used for mics..............and they arnt haraam.......... so i can sell my amps. It just seems like such a waste.
I know how you feel but this is a matter of sacrificing your property for the sake of Allah. It is worth it. I had a guitar, keyboard and hundreds of CDs, tapes. I sold the guitar not knowing the gains would be haram. I gave away the keyboard for nothing to a music student. Allah forgive me! And when I found out that the gains from haram items is haram, I binned all my CD's/tapes without a second thought. It is simply not worth gaining profits that will come back to haunt us in the grave and here-after.

As for the amps, keep them for your mic & record yourself reciting the Quran etc etc.. Or alternatively, ask the mosque if they need them for giving lectures and stuff.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-27-2007, 09:23 AM
:salamext:

micheal, i just wanted to say that if you give up something for the sake of Allah, then ask ALlah to replace you with something better and patience will earn you the highest places in jannah.

I wish you the best bro :)

Pk_#2
03-27-2007, 09:35 AM
May Allah (Swt) replace that which you lost for something better.

May Allah (swt) reward you for the struggles you are going through.

Peace.

Muslim Woman
03-27-2007, 04:33 PM

Salaam/peace,

I did not read the full answers, bro , u may visit the links.

Singing & Music

Name of Counsellor
Ahmad Kutty

What is commonly known as Western music is associated with sensuality, lust, and greed, all of which are diseases of the soul, so we cannot approve of listening to music with such an association.

But if you’re able to single out and isolate music or songs with noble and pure messages and themes that ennoble the soul and spirit, you may listen to them as an occasional outlet provided that this does not distract you from the remembrance of Allah or performing your obligatory duties.

Muslims living in this part of the world should be creative enough to create music and songs that are totally free from sinful association, by devising halal alternative so that we can dispense with haram altogether. Therefore, we should not have any hesitation in inventing creative arts that are properly Islamic.

Finally, music in itself is merely a tool that can be those of good or bad.
You can also read:

Islam's Stance on Music

Qawali & Western Music

Singing & Music: Islamic View

What Does Islam Say on Music?

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to write back!

May Allah guide you to the straight path, and guide you to that which pleases Him, Amen.

Allah Almighty knows best.

Singing & Music: Islamic View

Warning against playing with the word “haram”

To conclude, we address the respectful scholars who tackle the word “haram” easily and set it free in their writings and fatwas that they should observe that Allah is watching over them in all that they say or do.

They should also know that this word “haram” is very dangerous. It means that Allah’s Punishment is due on a certain act or saying, and should not be based upon guessing, whims, weak Hadiths, not even through an old book. It has to be supported by a clear, well-established text or valid consensus.

If these last two are not found, then we revert the given act or saying to the original rule: "permissibility governing things". We do have a good example to follow from one of our earlier pious scholars. Imam Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: “It was not the habit of those who preceded us, the early pious Muslims, who set good example for the following generations, to say, 'This is halal, and this is haram.

But, they would say, ‘I hate such-and-such, and maintain such-and-such, but as for halal and haram, this is what may be called inventing lies concerning Allah.

Did not you hear Allah’s Statement that reads, 'Say: Have you considered what provision Allah has sent down for you, how you have made of it lawful and unlawful? Say: Has Allah permitted you, or do you invent a lie concerning Allah?” (Yunus: 59)

For, the halal is what Allah and His Messenger made lawful, and the haram is what Allah and His Messenger made unlawful.

You can also read:

What Does Islam Say on Music? .

Allah Almighty knows best.

Please feel free to contact the Living Shari`ah editor at:
Living.Shariah@iolteam.com

.:Umniyah:.
03-28-2007, 05:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
I know how you feel but this is a matter of sacrificing your property for the sake of Allah. It is worth it. I had a guitar, keyboard and hundreds of CDs, tapes. I sold the guitar not knowing the gains would be haram. I gave away the keyboard for nothing to a music student. Allah forgive me! And when I found out that the gains from haram items is haram, I binned all my CD's/tapes without a second thought. It is simply not worth gaining profits that will come back to haunt us in the grave and here-after.

As for the amps, keep them for your mic & record yourself reciting the Quran etc etc.. Or alternatively, ask the mosque if they need them for giving lectures and stuff.
:sl: :thumbs_up
I couldnt have said it better myself. way to go sis.:)

Believe me becoming Muslim is a blessing but we all come in this deen ( those who werent born practising it) with hang ups and some which will take yeeeeeears to move away from. But Allah is ever so merciful so turn to him and he shall smooth your heart if indeed you are truthful and if you believe.
Take your time, for everything comes in time, with patiences and effort. Don't look at it as a lost , rather look at it as a step closer to the gates of Jannah, underneath which rivers flow. Where you can ask for whatever you want and it be granted to you. Keep in mind your destination, your goal, and this dunyah and the things in it will easily perish as nothingness.

May Allah make it easy on you bro.:w:

barney
03-28-2007, 05:32 AM
Just a quick question.

Why are stringed instruments Haram? is this a Quranic decree or a matter of jurisprudence?

E'jaazi
03-28-2007, 05:48 AM
It is the ruling. Stringed instruments and wind and horn instruments as well.

barney
03-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Yeah I gathered it was the ruling, just I dont know if it's forbidden by Allah or by Muslim clerical rulings?

syilla
03-28-2007, 05:58 AM
Please go to the appropriate thread for an arguement.

We already have thread for that.

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ous-about.html

Panther
03-28-2007, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Please go to the appropriate thread for an arguement.

We already have thread for that.

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ous-about.html
My sincerest apologies.

But as my post was for michaelconvert directly, it would have been pointless me posting it anywhere else.

Umar001
03-28-2007, 02:06 PM

Wa Aleykum Salam wa Rhametullah,

Hey Michael,

Maybe I kind of know what you mean, I had some albums prepared to just start me off, I had then all ready and everything had songs written some already on tracks, and trust me it was hard, not just because I done it, I mean the 'closest' people to me were speaking to me through my cd player. So I might know how it felt, I also used to do alot of 'singing' from church so I mean my life was engulfed in it. And it's hard, and you'll have non Muslims, as we've seen and Muslims tell you 'no no dont stop u can do it..Allah doesnt mind' and so forth, but we have to be honest with ourselfs.

With me personally I know alot of brothers who I live near like same area and they're still stuck in music, and its easy to get back into it, just try to remember that theres reasons why you giving it up and those reasons are more important than what someone tells you. I think that's all I can say that'll make it easier.

any help?

salaam

Brother trust me, I find it hard to find all my family I sit round the table with, I watch them pray :enough!: and so forth, it breaks me, but I always remember that it's their choice, I try to speak to them but that's the only thing I can do, I will say though that maybe your helping them without you knowing ;)

As for the dating thing, I dont know, maybe its just me but I mean wouldn't you rather marry someone who is grounded in their religion, am a revert myself, so I aint discriminating, but I mean both being reverts will be hard, spevcially for teaching your kids.

I don't know I think like that, maybe your more confident.

Your brother Eesa :)

- Qatada -
03-28-2007, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Yeah I gathered it was the ruling, just I dont know if it's forbidden by Allah or by Muslim clerical rulings?
In a Hadith related by Imam al-Bukhari in his ‘Sahih’, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

“There will come people in my Ummah, who will make adultery, silk, alcohol, and musical instruments permissible, Allah will change them into monkeys and swine.”
If anyone wants to discuss this further, please create a new thread. The brother is asking for islamic advice.

Regards.

michaelconvert
03-29-2007, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the input
salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.