جوري
03-27-2007, 10:09 PM
but what does MSNBot Spider ... or Yahoo Slurp Spider mean? :-[

thank you
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
deen_2007
03-27-2007, 10:11 PM
good point sis...i was wondering that too!

noodles
03-27-2007, 10:13 PM
When someone searches for information on search engines, the search engines look for specific phrases and words that the person used. In a sense they compare the most words to find which sites/information they are looking for.

Its search through pages and pages of files of informations stored in the database.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

deen_2007
03-27-2007, 10:20 PM
so like wen u search in google and yahoo...& u find these posts or threads...and you enter. then ur a spider? now i get it...lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noodles
03-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Nooo.... it doesnt work like that.

What happens is when you search on search engines, they look through thousands of websites by sending there 'spiders', which when see a word matching to your search they attach themselves to it, if there is further words in your search that you want to see, they look through the pages of that website to see if they match. Once the search is done, it returns the results to you, in the order of how many words matched. [You'd notice that usually the words that you search for, are bolded on the search engine results. It means that these were the words that matched]

You technically aren't a spider. The search engine conducting the search is a spider.

When you click the result [lets say a result was this LI board] it will bring you to this page as an anonymous user, which is the website's doing. Not the search engine.

The search engine points you to an address, when you reach the address you are an anonymous user. [That is if you have your IP masked, otherwise your IP is logged]

Bah.... I'm probably confusing you lot here. [And no I didn't just call you stupid either :okay:]

deen_2007
03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
dnt worry...we no wer not stupid! ....:p

why dnt u explain again...i might get it then!
:giggling: only joking!

جوري
03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
;D ;D hehehe... I am not going to comment on above as to not display my level of ignorance :-[ ... I think it is vaguely making sense... lol
thank you for all the replies..

noodles
03-27-2007, 10:43 PM
^ Bah you completely made my attempt to explain look pathetic.

جوري
03-27-2007, 10:45 PM
:hiding: :hiding: ok I am just going to tread into waters at high tide here and ask... if I stole your sentence above right now and put it into yahoo search engine... or ask.com engine.. will it bring me back to this page and label me as a yahoo spider? or ask.com slurp? :-[

جوري
03-27-2007, 10:48 PM
eh.... never mind my attempt of getting back to this page sticking a quote into yahoo search engine has completely failed......:cry:

جوري
03-27-2007, 10:56 PM

no just kidding that actually makes perfect sense... do you have to pay money to put your site onto a search engine's data base?

The strange portion is that under who is on line you'll find a spider to a specific thread not a forum so it piqued my curiosity as to whether or not it takes you directly to a thread... I am not sure I am making sense either
hmmmn lol
regardless I do appreciate all your efforts
thank you

deen_2007
03-27-2007, 11:02 PM
pureambrosia...me & you...both sisters are looking dumb in their (brothers) eyes

deen_2007
03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
how comes its free then? how do they get profit or paid? i mean they do a lot of searches for us..

Muezzin
03-27-2007, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deen_2007
how comes its free then? how do they get profit or paid? i mean they do a lot of searches for us..
The spiders are programs that are used by either Google or Yahoo. Both of these companies make most of their money through advertising.

Do you have to pay to be listed on Google, by the way?

جوري
03-27-2007, 11:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deen_2007
pureambrosia...me & you...both sisters are looking dumb in their (brothers) eyes

Don't worry.. it can always get worse...

EDIT Dumb&ampDumber -

deen_2007
03-27-2007, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Don't worry.. it can always get worse...

lol....oops...hope we dnt get there.

erm..brother above...no we dnt pay...i was just wondering how they make money if we dnt pay them?:?

snakelegs
03-28-2007, 12:28 AM
mine all live in jars. some even have names. :D

noodles
03-28-2007, 12:32 AM
I believe this is the link you are looking for.

http://investor.google.com/faq.html#money

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.