/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A question about the takbir after sujud in salaah

Abu Zakariya
07-27-2005, 05:23 PM
:sl:

I hope someone that is knowledgeable (maybe a talib-ul-'ilm) or knows someone knowledgeable could answer this question for me.

I recently found out that you utter the takbir after the second sujud as you get up from it. Til' now, I've always uttered the takbir after I've come up from the sujud and already stood up. That is, I get up from the sujud, stand up, utter the takbir and start reciting al-fatiha, when the right way to do it is to say "Allahu akbar" as you lift your head from sujud.

Does this invalidate my prayers? Do I have to repeat them?

I hope someone can answer. JazzakumAllah khayran.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
kadafi
07-27-2005, 05:42 PM

If you have done it out of ignorance, your prayers will not be nullified. If you have been doing it for a long time, you do not have to repeat the prayers.

:w:

Abu Zakariya
07-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Okay, do 2 days qualify as a long time?

kadafi
07-27-2005, 05:49 PM

Actually, it is not akhee. To be on the safe side, it would be better to repeat the prayers [from the last 2 days]. However, what you described is a very small mistake but I suggest you still re-iterate the prayers just in case.

Because the scholars unanimously agreed that:
if a person omits a duty out of ignorance or forgetfulness, he has not discharged his duty until he does it. See al-Qawaa’id wa’l-Usool al-Jaami’ah by Ibn Sa’di, p. 78

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abu Zakariya
07-27-2005, 05:55 PM
As-salaamu 'alaykum

Okay akhi. JazzakAllah kheyr.

I'd also like to ask a couple of questions as well.

During sujud, your feet should be together and your toes should be pointing towards the Qibbla. However, I can't seem to make my pinky and the toe next to it to touch the ground, not to mention "curve it" so it points towards the Qibbla. Is this a requirement and am I excused?

The second question is; When you sit in between sujud and in the first and second Tashahhud, are your toes that belong to the right foot (that is supposed to be straigt-up during the sittings, as opposed to the left that you should sit on in the first Tashahhud and it should be below the backside of the left thigh during the second), supposed to point towards the Qibbla? I can make all the toes, including the pinky, point towards the Qibbla (during the first Tashahhud, not the second), but it is rather painful. Should I make them point towards the Qibbla although it is rather painful or am I excused (if the toes indeed are supposed to be pointing to the Qibbla)?

Bittersteel
07-27-2005, 06:31 PM
what's sujud?The one we call sejda that is bowing towards Makkah right?
and what's takbir.

I don't know many Arabic terms.

Abu Zakariya
07-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Sujud = prostration (sejda)

Takbir = to say: "Allahu akbar"

Bittersteel
07-27-2005, 06:47 PM
oh so I am supposed to utter the takbir while I am getting up from sejda right?

NooralHaya
07-27-2005, 06:49 PM
whats the difference between saying SUJUD and SAJDAH? is it a language thing? arabic linguistics or something?

kadafi
07-27-2005, 06:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Zakariya
As-salaamu 'alaykum

Okay akhi. JazzakAllah kheyr.

I'd also like to ask a couple of questions as well.

During sujud, your feet should be together and your toes should be pointing towards the Qibbla. However, I can't seem to make my pinky and the toe next to it to touch the ground, not to mention "curve it" so it points towards the Qibbla. Is this a requirement and am I excused?

If you cannot perform it, you do not have to do it. The pointing of the toes to the Qibla is sunnah.

Islamqa.com writes:
What your mu’allim (teacher) has told you, that in sujood the toes should be bent and should touch the ground, is correct. It is a proven part of the sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) reported in his Saheeh from Abu Humayd al-Saa’idi that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) “when he prostrated… the tips of his toes would be facing the qiblah…” (Fath, no. 828).

Abu Dawood reported from Abu Humayd al-Saa’idi: “… he would bend his toes when he prostrated.” (Reported by Abu Dawood, no. 716, Bab fi iftitaah al-salaah). The author of ‘Awn al-Ma’bood Sharh Sunan Abi Dawood said: “‘He would bend (yaftukh) his toes” – the meaning of fatkh is to bend or flex, so he would bend his toes and point them towards the qiblah.” (‘Awn al-Ma’bood, 2/419). The hadeeth was reported by al-Albaani in Sifat al-Salaah p. 142, 1411 AH edition [This book is also available in English under the title The Prophet’s Prayer Described – Translator].

Pointing the toes towards the qiblah is sunnah and is encouraged, but if a person does not do it, his prayer or leadership of the prayer is still valid, especially as many people do not have the ability to flex their toes in the manner described. But everyone should put their toes on the ground when prostrating, because they are counted among the seven parts of the body on which we are commanded to prostrate. If a person lifts his feet off the ground when prostrating, and does not place the tips of his toes on the ground, then his prayer or leadership of the prayer is not valid.
The second question is; When you sit in between sujud and in the first and second Tashahhud, are your toes that belong to the right foot (that is supposed to be straigt-up during the sittings, as opposed to the left that you should sit on in the first Tashahhud and it should be below the backside of the left thigh during the second), supposed to point towards the Qibbla? I can make all the toes, including the pinky, point towards the Qibbla (during the first Tashahhud, not the second), but it is rather painful. Should I make them point towards the Qibbla although it is rather painful or am I excused (if the toes indeed are supposed to be pointing to the Qibbla)?
This is also answered at islamqa:
With regard to the way one should sit between sujoods, two ways of doing this have been narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

1.Keeping the right foot upright and sitting on the left foot, as was described in the saheeh hadeeth which describes how he sat between two sujoods: “He kept his right foot upright,” and “he pointed its toes towards the qiblah.” This is the most well known way, and it is the way he sat most of the time.

2. Keeping both feet upright and sitting on the heels, as was described in the saheeh hadeeth which describes how he sat between two sujoods: “Sometimes he would rest on both his heels and the balls on his feet.” (See Sifat al-Salaah by al-Albaani, p. 152). This is not the way of sitting that is forbidden.

If a person who is praying puts one foot on top of the other and sits on them, he is doing something other than the sunnah, but his prayer or leadership of the prayer is still valid. In all cases, we should guide people towards the sunnah and teach them about it, because this is an important matter – how could it be otherwise? The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Pray as you have seen me praying.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 631). And Allaah knows best.
It is still sunnah and has the same ruling as the previous question, if you cannot do it, then you do not have to do it. Your prayer still counts.

Abu Zakariya
07-29-2005, 03:40 PM
As-salaamu 'alaykum

JazzakAllah kheyr

Concerning sitting in between sujud and the first and second tashahhud, I can point my toes towards Qibbla, but it hurts and I'm really uncomfortable, does the prayer count if I dont point the pinky and the toe next to it towards Qibbla?

My enterpration of the answer by Shaykh Munajjid (hafidhahullah) is that the prayer is valid, because the pointing of the toes towards Qibbla (during the sittings) isn't an obligatory part of the prayer?

Concerning the sujud, I can't make them point towards Qibbla and still keep the heels together. The only way I can point them to Qibbla is if I keep the feet apart and that way, my big toe doesn't point directly towards Qibbla, so what I do is, I keep the heels together, and try to make the toes touch the ground, although I can't make two of them do that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.