/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do u eat??

Abdul-Raouf
03-29-2007, 04:23 PM
If u eat as the sunnah teaches.... ie by sitting down with one leg folded pressing ur tummy..

u wont eat more food...u will eat the correct level of u food that ur body should take...

So follow it and be healthy:)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strider
03-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Why is it limited only to Muslims?

For me, it depends on what i'm eating and where i am. If i'm rushed, i eat on the go (i know, one should refrain from moving and eating at the same time) or if it's a meal i sit down and eat.

Abdul-Raouf
03-29-2007, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muzammil
ONLY FOR MUSLIMS

If u eat as the sunnah teaches.... ie by sitting down with one leg folded pressing ur tummy..

u wont eat more food...u will eat the correct level of u food that ur body should take...

So follow it and be healthy:)
Sitting down here it refers to sitting on the floor... i mean its not sitting on chair or sofa.or anywhere...?

Do u follow atleast at ur home???

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 04:41 PM
:sl:

In my home we sit around the table and eat on the weekdays because everyone is in a rush and eating separately most of the times...

On Weekends we have our meals on the floor :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
03-30-2007, 08:59 AM
:salamext:

and it says that it is sunnah to have a taste of salt before we start eating. Study shows that it neutralise the salt in the food that we are going to eat.

any hadith on this (on the salt not the study...lol).

Thank you in advance.

H4RUN
04-02-2007, 05:48 PM
i eat with my mouth:D

Fron the dish...Outside to in, well i try to anyway....and nearest to furthest....eat until you feel the need to taste a little bit more...and then stop inshaAllah

:)
:w:

SirZubair
04-02-2007, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
i eat with my mouth:D

"how do you eat?" not "What do you eat with"

Tsk tsk tsk..

H4RUN
04-02-2007, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
"how do you eat?" not "What do you eat with"

Tsk tsk tsk..
im that case, my nervous system sends signals from my brain to my mouth, which in some weird and mysterious way makes my mouth open and close, which results in the teeth going up and down, which in good time crush the food to a certain extent, and finally the food goes down a slide "wooohooo" and then through some theme parks and so forth:D...

Oh and water, how do you drink the water, sips of 3? Or just knock it back?

Abdul-Raouf
08-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Before startin to eat say...

Bismillahi wa Barakathullah

After ur finished.. say..

Alhamdulillahhilladhi Ath'amana Sakahana Wa Ja'alna minal muslimeen

(Im i correct ?)

3ARABY_2005
08-09-2007, 06:30 AM

Bismillah

AlhamdulillaH

ranma1/2
08-09-2007, 06:33 AM
well in japan its typical to say

ita daki masu. "thanks"

and

gochi so sama de****a. "im done"

Intisar
08-09-2007, 06:35 AM

Aren't we also not supposed to eat with our left hand, or was it the right? :?

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 09:16 AM
shud we sit the way we sit in prayer when we eat?

can someone please show a diagram or something i really wanna kno :hiding:

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 09:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*

Aren't we also not supposed to eat with our left hand, or was it the right? :?
left is used for cleaning so its impure, therefore we use the right hand.

i feel sry 4 my sister becoz shes left handed, but we get a lot of imaams who say that my mum shud hav trained her from little to be right handed, apparently if u train them from a young age then they can easily go from left to right handed, allahu a'lam

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 10:06 AM
^ SERIOUS? :ooh: ???

------
08-09-2007, 10:07 AM

:lol: feel sorry for the guys! :p

How do u eat??
With my hands.... :X

shev
08-09-2007, 10:08 AM

it is not very clear but I found this..

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 10:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

:lol: feel sorry for the guys! :p
X
lol how come?

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 10:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
lol, yeah...as far as I know. It's best to get it confirmed with others though! :p
lol definitly, but wat was the thread starter talking about, folding a leg so it presses ur stomach or something :?

------
08-09-2007, 10:14 AM

When in doubt......google it :D

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 10:15 AM

When in doubt......google it :D
wat if i dnt trust sheikh google? :p

------
08-09-2007, 10:19 AM

Then.... :p

The Sunnah Way of Eating

The Manners of Sitting while Eating

Sitting on the left foot, eating with three fingers, eating from the food closer to you, and licking the fingers (used while eating) are Sunnah.

Try to change your usual sitting position while eating. So, following in the footsteps of the Prophet (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) try sitting either on both knees or on your left leg while keeping the right one upright. It’s best not to change the position you choose before you finish eating. If this position does not suit you, particularly at the beginning, then you may take the position you prefer most, but try not to lean on anything. The Prophet (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) would seat himself attentively before food.
Source

:D

nebula
08-09-2007, 10:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
im that case, my nervous system sends signals from my brain to my mouth, which in some weird and mysterious way makes my mouth open and close, which results in the teeth going up and down, which in good time crush the food to a certain extent, and finally the food goes down a slide "wooohooo" and then through some theme parks and so forth:D...

Oh and water, how do you drink the water, sips of 3? Or just knock it back?
hahaha bro that really made me laugh lol

ive actually seen a animated version of what you said in a cartoon long time ago cant remember which 1

me nd my fam sometimes eat on the floor by laying a cloth on it or we eat on the table. depends if theres something good on tv then we sit infront of the tv on the floor :shade: .

nebula
08-09-2007, 10:29 AM
hey i really found this interesting

Hazrat Huzaifa May Al;lah be pleased with him has mentioned that the Holy Prophet May Allah send peace and blessings upon him prevented us from eating and drinking in gold and silver utensils. This order is for both men and women.

Because my cuzens in pakistan eat in silver plates and cutlery, i have aswell sometimes when i go to pakistan.

------
08-09-2007, 10:30 AM

I think it means REAL gold/silver.....Allaahu Aalim :)

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 10:36 AM

I think it means REAL gold/silver.....Allaahu Aalim :)
ye it duz, its also stated in a hanafi manual i hav at home.

i went to debenhams wiv ma sis n i didnt kno this so i was bout to buy the silver 4 home but she stopped me.

i thot silver was allowed lol, but i gess its both gold n silver

------
08-09-2007, 10:36 AM

All good, that will be reserved for us in Jannah......Inshaa Allaah :thumbs_up

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 10:44 AM
ye inshaAllah but it shud be stressed that this is about UTENSILS and NOT JEWELLERY!

women can wear gold n silver jewellery inshaAllah, men can wear silver

Pk_#2
08-09-2007, 10:44 AM

All good, that will be reserved for us in Jannah......Inshaa Allaah :thumbs_up
How do u eat?

:muddlehea Sitting on the table, like a retard, feets up..

Depends what i'm eating, but we use cutlary and dat azwell..:rolleyes: is dat haraam den..?

Erm..

:shade:

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 10:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
:muddlehea Sitting on the table, like a retard, feets up..
wat?.. the...? hek...?

Pk_#2
08-09-2007, 10:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
wat?.. the...? hek...?
mm hmm...

:D so hows the sunnah way to do stuff, i'll try it, AD's pic :-\ made it look hard, isn't that a position where you'll be putting alotta stress on ur feet?

My feet will break off like dat. imsad

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 10:53 AM
mm hmm...

:D so hows the sunnah way to do stuff, i'll try it, AD's pic :-\ made it look hard, isn't that a position where you'll be putting alotta stress on ur feet?

My feet will break off like dat. imsad
LOL ye i dnt think Alpha's pic is the tru sunnah way lol but Allahu a'lam

i think u suppose to sit wiv one left leg folded, right leg straight, on da floor or something

i really wanna learn da way...

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Duties, Sunnah, and Manners

The first duty in Islam concerning eating is ensuring that the food is both permissible (halal) and comes from a permissible source. You should also feel satisfied with what Allah has provided you and believe that these provisions are a blessing from Allah. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) once told `Ali ibn Abi Talib (may Allah be pleased with him), “O Ali! There are twelve rules a Muslim must learn to adhere to before the table (of food), four of which are duties, four of which are Sunnah, and four of which are manners. Knowing what you eat and its source, mentioning Allah’s name prior to eating, being grateful for provisions, and being content with them are duties. Sitting on the left foot, eating with three fingers, eating from the food closer to you, and licking the fingers (used while eating) are Sunnah. Restricting the size of each mouthful of food, chewing very well, refraining from looking people in the face, and washing the hands (afterwards) are of manners.”

http://www.islamonline.net/English/S...rticle08.shtml

WE GTTA TRY THIS!!

Pk_#2
08-09-2007, 11:10 AM
JazakAllah khair wa barakAllah fik Akhi :D

Al-Zaara
08-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Selam aleykum,

Maybe this will be an interesting read... ?

1. How to Begin[1]

When a Muslim begins to eat, he should begin with the name of Allaah. As the Prophet Muhammad

said: ‘When one of you eats, he should mention Allaah's name (i.e. say ‘Bismillaah); if he forgets to mention Allaah's name at the beginning, he should say (when he remembers): I begin in the name of Allah at the beginning and at the end of it ( Bismillah awwalahu wa Akhirahoo).” [2]
The Prophet

explained that shaitan partakes in the food if the name of Allaah is not recited at the start of eating. However if one forgets in the beginning and then remembers and says the aforementioned du’aa shaitan is made to vomit out what he has eaten. [3]

2. The Manners of Eating
The best manner in which to eat food is with the fingers. The Companion, lbn Ka’ab ibn Maalik

reported that he saw the Messenger

eating with three fingers and when he finished, he would lick them. [4]

Sadly nowadays, the Muslims are choosing to imitate the disbelievers rather than the Prophet

and are choosing to eat with knives and forks rather than the finger's. Although it is not at all forbidden (haraam) to eat with a Knife and fork, to consider this a better and more cultured or civilized way to eat is definitely wrong, since this is to consider someone else's way to be superior to that of the Prophet's

. It should also be mentioned that if one does choose to eat with a knife and fork, then they should make sure that the fork is in the right and not in the left hand as is the convention with the disbelievers. This is because to eat with the left hand is forbidden. The Prophet,

said: “Do not eat with your left hand for shaitaan eats with his left hand,” [5]

Another thing which the Prophet

taught us about the manners of eating is that we should always eat from what is nearest to us and not from the middle of the plate. The reason for this is that the blessings come down upon the food in its middle, therefore it should be left to last. [6]

3. The Manners of Sitting whilst Eating.
It would probably come as no surprise to us to learn that unlike the arrogant manner traditionally associated with the Greeks and Romans, the Prophet

would never eat from a reclining position. [7]

His whole life was a model of modesty and humility and this was no less in his manner of eating. The Companion Anas,

each reported that he saw Allaah's Messenger

squatting and eating dates. [8]

Other times, the Prophet

would sit on his knees, as reported by ‘Abdullaah ibn Busr

who said that the Prophet

was sitting on his knees upon which a bedouin said: ‘What is this sitting?’ The Prophet

replied, “Allaah has made me a respectable servant and He did not make me an obstinate tyrant." [9]

4. Don't Criticize Food

Aboo Hurairah,

reported that the Prophet

never found fault with food. If he liked it, he would eat it, but if he disliked it, he just left it.

This is how our Prophet

was. Yet if we look to ourselves today, we find that we are ever ready to criticize whatever we find on our plate. This is extreme ingratitude to Allaah on our part and next time we think of complaining about food or maybe moaning that ‘there's nothing to eat’ even though our fridges are full, we should spare a thought for all those people both Muslim and non Muslims who don't know where their next meal is coming from. So we should instead be grateful as instructed by Allaah: “O You who believe! Eat of the good things that we have provided for you and be grateful to Allaah, if it is He you worship.” [Surah Al-Baqarah Verse 17]

5. DON'T LEAVE FOOD FOR SHAITAAN
As Muslims we must be aware that shaitaan is around us wherever we are and whatever we are doing. Even when we are eating shaitaan is in our presence, waiting to grasp any opportunity he can to fill his belly. This is why the Prophet,

commanded us never to waste food, because food that we waste is eaten by shaitaan. He

said: “The shaitaan is present with everyone of you in everything he does; he is even present when he eats food, so if any on of you drops a mouthful, he should remove away anything filthy on it and eat it and not leave it for the devil; and when he finished, he should lick his fingers for he does not know in what portion of his food the blessing ties.” [11]

So here, the Prophet

enumerated another reason why we should not waste food i.e. we may deprive ourselves of the blessings which are contained n the food. this should be sufficient encouragement fares to appreciate the value of food and not waste it.

6. DON'T EAT TOO MUCH
One of the worst habits we nave adopted as a result of our relatively luxurious lifestyle is the habit of overeating and not showing any restraint in that. How many times can we think of where we have eaten so much that we can barely breathe, or where we can feel the food coming up to our throats?! This eating pattern does not befit the Muslim, who should do all things in moderation, including his eating. The Prophet,

said: “A Believer eats in one intestine, whereas a non-believer eats in seven intestines,” [12]

Therefore it is not for us to eat till we are completely satiated; rather we should eat such that the hunger goes but there is still room for more.

7. AFTER EATING

When we have finished eating, we should always remember Allaah and be grateful to Him, for He is ar-Razzaaq, the Provider and our Sustainer. We should express this gratitude in the manner in which the Prophet

taught us. He

said: “One who has eaten some food and then says: ‘All praise is for Allaah, who has given me this (food to eat] and provided me without any effort or power on my part’, he will have his sins forgiven. (Alhamdulillaahil-lazee at’amanaa haadha warazaqeenee min ghairi hawlin minnee wala quwwah).” [13]

SubhaanAllaah! The reward for just saying this short du’aa is so great, too great to neglect. Can we afford to miss out on such opportunities of Allaah's Mercy and Forgiveness?

8. A MEANS OF DRAWING CLOSER TO ALLAAH

The ahaadeeth mentioned here only cover some of the Islaamic etiquettes of eating which the Messenger Muhammad

taught us. Many more hadeeth on this subject are to be found in the books of hadeeth such as Saheeh al-Bukharee, Saheeh Muslim and others. But just a few narrations cited here give us some indication of the attention that the Companions

paid to even the smallest details of the prophet's

Sunnah (example). Many of us today may consider such matters to be ‘trivial’ or ‘insignificant,’ but we find the Companions

did not take these matters lightly. They considered such details important enough to preserve through careful transmission which their successors meticulously recorded in the books of hadeeth so that they could be read by generations to come. It is up to us whether we want to benefit from the knowledge they carried for us or not.
So during this blessed month of Ramadhan, when we take the suhoor (the predawn meal) and break our fasts, we have an excellent opportunity to transform an everyday practice of eating and drinking into an act of worship and a source of blessing for us. Every mouthful of food we take will serve as a reminder of Alaah's great favor upon us and His Mercy and this in turn will cause us to earn favor with Allaah, for the Prophet

said: “Indeed Allah is pleased with His servant who, when he eats a morsel, praises Him for it, or drinks a sip and then praises Him for it.” [14] May Allaah grant us the ability to become of His thankful servants. Aameen.

FOOTNOTES

[1] There is a common misconception that to wash ones hands before eating is from Sunnah. This is based on the hadeeth which alleges that the Prophet

said: The blessing of the food is in washing the hands before it and after it. [Ahmed, Aboo Dawood and others] It should be known however that this hadeeth is daef (week) according to Aboo Dawood. Imaam Ahmad, at-Tirmidhee and others. Infect some scholar went as far As to say that this practice was disliked since it was a practice of the Jews and only if there was a reason to wash them was it not disliked. The point is that washing the hands before the meal contains no added reward since it is not from the Sunnah, although there is no harm in doing as if one needs to.

[2] Saheeh - Narrated by Aaisha and collected by Aboo Dawood (eng. Trans. Vol.3, p.1064, no.3758). Authenticated by at-Tirmidhee and al-Albanee inhis Saheeh. Sunan Aboo Dawood. Note that the Sunnah is to say ‘Bismillaah’ only and not ‘Bismillaah Ar-Rahmaan Ar-Raheem’

[3] Saheeh Muslim (eng. Trans. Vol.3, p. 1114, no. 5004).

[4] Saheeh Muslim (eng. Trans. Vol.3, p. 1119, no. 5040)

[5] Narrated by Jabir

and collected I Saheeh Muslim (eng. Trans. Vol.3, p. 1115, no. 5007). The ruling also applies to drinking as well as taking or giving something (i.e. it should all be done with the right hand) (Saheeh Muslim Vol.3)

[6] Aboo Dawood (eng. Trans. Vol. 3, p. 1064, no. 3763). This is not superstition or an old wives tale, rather the saying of one inspired by Allaah, who is the knower of all things hidden.

[7] Narrated by Aboo Juhaifah

and collected in Saheeh of Imaam Bukhari (eng. Trans. Vol.7, p. 234 and 311). NB. Ibn al-Qayyim mention in his Zaadal Maad that any posture in which the posterior is on the floor is regarding as reclining.

[8] Saheeh Muslim (eng, trans vol.3. p. 1127, no. 5073).

[9] Saheeh - Reported by Aboo Dawood (eng. Trans. Vol. 3, p.1064, no. 3764). Authentic in his Saheeh Sunan Aboo Dawood.

[10] Saheeh Muslim (eng. Trans. Vol. 3, p.113, no.5121).

[11] Narrated by Jaabir and collected in Saheeh Muslim (eng. Vol. 3, p. 1121. no. 5046)

[12] Narrated by Ibn Umar and collected in Saheeh Muslim (eng. Trans vol. 3, p.1137, no. 5046)

[13] Hasan - Narrated by Mu’aadh Ibn Anas

collected by at-Tirmidhee and others. Authentic by at-Tirmidhee and others. Authenticated by at-Tirmidhee, Ibn Hajr and others. (Note: that the other du’aa from Aboo Dawood this is often mentioned in books to be recited at the end of eating: “all Praises are form Allah who fed us grave us drink and made us Muslims’ is not authentic as mentioned by Ibn Hajr and others.)

[14] Narrated by Anas

and collected in Saheeh Muslim (eng. Trans. Vol. 4, p.1492, no. 6592).

Pk_#2
08-09-2007, 11:16 AM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabaraaktuh,

THE MANNERS OF EATING

There are certain table manners that are indispensable. Say 'Bismillah' when starting, to thank Allah and say 'Alhamdulillah' when finished. Eat what is in front of you. Eat using your right hand. A hypocrite was eating with his left hand when the Prophet saw him and advised him to eat with his right. The man falsely said 'But I cannot' The Prophet said 'May it be so' and the hypocrite was not able to lift his right hand again. :-\

The companions of the Prophet followed his example in stressing the use of the right hand while eating. Omar was Khalifa when he saw a man eating with his left hand and similarly advised him to eat with his right. The man answered 'My right is busy' Omar repeated his request and the man repeated his answer. Omar asked him 'What is it busy with?' The man answered that it had been severed in one of the battles. Omar blamed himself for neglecting such handicap and ordered the treasurer to provide the man with a servant to help him. :D

If eating with your hand, use three fingers with small bites, lifting it gently with ease to your mouth. Close your mouth while eating to avoid unnecessary noises. To eat on the floor is nearer to what the Prophet used to do. However, there is no problem to eat at a table. Imam Ghazali said, 'To eat at a table is to make eating easier and there is nothing against that.' Do not start eating ahead of the elders or the nobles. If you are the elder, do not commence eating before everyone is at the table.

It is preferred that eating should not be conducted in silence. It is good manners to talk during meals. Topics should be nice stories suitable for eating. At the end of the meal, if hands are to be washed, the elder or the noble should be asked to proceed first.

At the end of a meal, thank Allah as in the Hadith reported by Abo Dawood and Nasa'i in 'the deeds of day and night.' Thank Allah who fed us and provided us with drink. It is very appropriate to make a prayer for your hosts as it is reported by Muslim that Al-Migdad ibn Al-Aswad reported that the Prophet said, 'May Allah feed those who have fed us, and provide drinks to those who provided us with it.' :statisfie

Do not express your disapproval or dislike of certain foods. Either eat it or pass it over quietly. Abu Huraira reported that 'the Prophet never expressed his dislike of a food. If he liked it he will eat it. If he disliked it, he will set aside.' :coolious:

Do not put in your plate more than can eat. Leftovers could be thrown out, it shouldn't, and wasted. Put smaller portions twice rather than one large portion that you will not eat. The Prophet did not approve of leaving any food in a plate since as he said 'You don't know which portion is blessed'. :p

Food is a blessing of Allah, to misuse it is contrary to Islam. Do not forget the poor and the needy who do not have the portion you are throwing away, :'(

THE MANNERS OF DRINKING

Drinking manners are no less important. To start in the name of Allah is a must. Use your right hand to drink. Abo Dawood and Tirmizi related that Hafsa (RA) said 'the Prophet used his right hand for eating and drinking. He used his left for other things [such as personal hygiene].' Do not pour your drink down your throat in one gulp. Drink it in three sips. Ibn Abbas reported that the Prophet said 'Do not drink like a camel. Drink twice or thrice. Say the name of Allah before drinking. Thank Allah after finishing.

Do not exhale in your glass. This will irritate others and will smudge the glass or the cup. Ibn Abbas reported that the Prophet forbade exhaling in a glass or puffing into it.
:peace:

Do not drink directly from the jug or the container. Beside being unhygienic behaviour, others may want to drink after you who could be irritated. Abo Huraira narrated that the Prophet forbade drinking directly from the mouth of the sheepskin or the flask.

Peace Tc lol

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 11:23 AM
^ JizakAllahu khair sis Al-Zaara,

so the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam did sometimes squat to eat! subhanAllah !

Pk_#2
08-09-2007, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Selam aleykum,

Maybe this will be an interesting read... ?

jazakAllah khair sis, that was a wicked read :p :D

Tc zaa zuu! :Evil:

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 11:25 AM
all of u shud read this

jzakAllahu khair to sis Mujahida, its probably the most beneficial one (same level as sis al-zaara's one)

jzcasejz
08-09-2007, 11:26 AM
MashaAllaah excellent thread! This is just one of the many brilliant manners the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) had. :D

And ermm, I don't want to describe the way I eat thank you. :Evil:

Pk_#2
08-09-2007, 11:27 AM
all of u shud read this

jzakAllahu khair to sis Mujahida, its probably the most beneficial one (same level as sis al-zaara's one)
Yeah especially the last bit,

:-\ Over-eating

+o(+o(+o(+o(+o(

The Ruler
08-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey, I know how I eat! Wit a mat in the garden with legs crossed, plate in one hand, book in another, eyes on the book, hands in the food. That's how. And I absolutely, totally, positively love it.

Intisar
08-09-2007, 12:50 PM
:sl: I naturally eat the way we are supposed to (like in Alpha Dude's pic), I find it uncomfortable sitting at the table.

H4RUN
08-09-2007, 08:04 PM

Try eating or better still drinking [milk] whilst sky diving:-\ so not happening like!

As for squating down, gosh, i'll keep falling over backwards:-\ Not a good look, especially if you've got a plate of spaghetti/vermacelli in hand:p
Some people make squating look like second nature! Maaan they are super heroes to me, how they do that!

So just by sitting on the floor and eating isnt following the sunnah completely then? I used to think to an extent that all you have to do was sit on the floor and eat...with the correct manners as used our Prophet pbuh...

Abdullah4ever
08-09-2007, 08:57 PM
The sunnah is to sit on the floor and eat with ur right hand , eat from you're own side, not to fill you're stomach, 1/3 food 1/3 water 1/3 air for you're stomach. You're supposed to say Bismillah or if you forget Bismillahil Awal Wal Akhir (I think it means IN the name of allah the first and the last). At the end you say alhumdillah. For drinking i think you are supposed to gulp the drink twice or three times rather than drinking it all at once.

Abdul-Raouf
08-10-2007, 04:27 AM
Mostly (98%) i sit down and eat... and for the past two months i have tried many times to eat as sunnah says...

I heard from Ulamas...

there are 3 types of seatin while eatin...
1. restin on the left foot ... right knee up...
2. restin on both the foot ... (similar to athahiayth position) with right foot in same position as the left foot..
3. (This was practisied durin war times) sittin with both the knees up...

I have drawn here... the 3 positions..

Abdul-Raouf
08-10-2007, 04:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf

Bismillahi wa Barakathullah

Alhamdulillahhilladhi Ath'amana Sakahana Wa Ja'alna minal muslimeen

(Im i correct ?)
Can any one say the meaning of second sentence....

Pk_#2
08-10-2007, 04:43 AM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

بسم الله. في أوله وآخره.

Bismillahi fi awwalihi wa akhirihi

In the Name of Allah, in the beginning and the end.

[abu Dawud 3:347, at-Tirmidhi 4:288]

That is the meaning of the dua,

MashaAllah nice pics i can do pic 2 :D looks the comfortabl'st :)

Abdul-Raouf
08-10-2007, 04:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amatul Malik
Hey, I know how I eat! Wit a mat in the garden with legs crossed, plate in one hand, book in another, eyes on the book, hands in the food. That's how. And I absolutely, totally, positively love it.
Ya We too in our family sit on the floor... wit legs crossed and eat.. plate on the floor.. eat with the hand... spoon is never used....(thats the traditional way in our country)....

Abdul-Raouf
08-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Dua After Eating :

AsalamuALaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

Alhamdulilahil ladhi at'amana, wasaqana, waj'alna min-al Muslimeen
Praise be to Allah Who has fed us and given us drink and made us Muslims.

[abu Dawud, at-Tirmidhi, an-Nasa'i, ibn Majah]
Jazakallah khair sister

Neelam92
08-10-2007, 09:44 AM
left is used for cleaning so its impure, therefore we use the right hand.

i feel sry 4 my sister becoz shes left handed, but we get a lot of imaams who say that my mum shud hav trained her from little to be right handed, apparently if u train them from a young age then they can easily go from left to right handed, allahu a'lam
yeh true my sis is left handed but she does try sometimes to eat with her right hand but sometimes forgets lol
but it is difficult for some left handers lol
cuz my sisters heart is on her right side not left so i dunno

IbnAbdulHakim
08-10-2007, 09:48 AM
^ i found this:

http://www.researchmatters.harvard.e...article_id=708

its interesting and funny lol

Neelam92
08-10-2007, 09:54 AM
^ i found this:

http://www.researchmatters.harvard.e...article_id=708

its interesting and funny lol
lol hehehe
thanks bro
im might show this to my sis lol she will probably get angry lol

Neelam92
08-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Wow, really...do you mean this literally? Is it even possible for a person to have the heart on the left side of his body? :confused:
lol yeh ean it she was born with it lol
she also has a couple of holes in her heart that sometimes leak so she has to be really careful to not make herself go out of breath
bless her she has been thro alot

IbnAbdulHakim
08-10-2007, 10:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Neelam92
lol yeh ean it she was born with it lol
she also has a couple of holes in her heart that sometimes leak so she has to be really careful to not make herself go out of breath
bless her she has been thro alot
SUBHANALLAH !

u kno that she will most prob get jannah for that hardship if she has sabr!!!

there was this sahabi ye (companion of the prophet) who heard that the smallest illness can wash away sins, so he asked for an illness which would still allow him to read salaah/pay zakaat/fight jihaad/fast etc and he was afflicted with it straight away. He died with that illness...

but that illness is a shifa (mercy and forgiveness).

whoah...may Allah grant your sister jannatul firdaus (the highest heaven)

Neelam92
08-10-2007, 10:04 AM
SubhanAllah. That's really interesting. I found this article about a woman who was born with all her organs in a different position to how it would be with normal people. Her heart is on the right side too.

May Allah makes things easy for your sister, ameen. :)
thankyou very much bro
yeh ameen
inshAllah it will be all okay :rollseyes

Neelam92
08-10-2007, 10:08 AM
SUBHANALLAH !

u kno that she will most prob get jannah for that hardship if she has sabr!!!

there was this sahabi ye (companion of the prophet) who heard that the smallest illness can wash away sins, so he asked for an illness which would still allow him to read salaah/pay zakaat/fight jihaad/fast etc and he was afflicted with it straight away. He died with that illness...

but that illness is a shifa (mercy and forgiveness).

whoah...may Allah grant your sister jannatul firdaus (the highest heaven)
awwwww thanks bro
ameen
yeh inshAllah

bint_khalid
08-10-2007, 11:16 AM
sunnah is to eat on floor so thats what we do....only on some occasions when i eat on my own then i just sit on the sofa and eat.

smile
08-10-2007, 07:05 PM
I can't see how people mock when we eat with out hands
when the food is so much more tastier

Yanal
08-11-2007, 12:21 AM
OF COURSE i eat like that (jokes) sometimes i do and sometimes i don't and it is sunnah to eat it like the way you described it and it is also health if you want to know more please scroll down
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

ONLY FOR BRAVE PEOPLE I REPEAT ONLY FOR BRAVE PEOPLE

If you eat in another way and eat alot your orgins can get blocked and you can DIE :skeleton: if you want to know more pm me about this topic best wishes;D

leader
08-11-2007, 05:57 PM
jazakallah for the post brother yanal :P

ummAbdillah
08-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I think it's sunnah to sit like we do in prayer...or sit with both thighs up and feet down - like a squat.

Kind of like this, I think:

:X

is it only men that have to sit in that position?

Pk_#2
08-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Eww that is so not lady-like...jokes :)

JJ sits like a man. :D And suits it azwell. :o|

Ummah
08-12-2007, 10:40 AM
I think it's sunnah to sit like we do in prayer...or sit with both thighs up and feet down - like a squat.

Kind of like this, I think:

:X
id fall over if i attempted that!!

Ummah
08-12-2007, 10:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by smile
I can't see how people mock when we eat with out hands
when the food is so much more tastier
thats soo true

Z
08-12-2007, 01:48 PM
It's natural for humans to eat with their hands. Perfect example would be to observe a baby when it has something in its hands, it attempts to reach with it into its mouth, as if trying to eat.

The spoons and forks are only extensions of our hands, so in terms we're still eating with our hands whether we use them or not. Correct?

And is it Sunnah to eat sitting on the floor, or Sunnah to eat anyplace clean, as long as you are sitting when doing so, just like whilst drinking?

jannah1
08-13-2007, 12:22 AM

Then.... :p

The Sunnah Way of Eating

The Manners of Sitting while Eating

Sitting on the left foot, eating with three fingers, eating from the food closer to you, and licking the fingers (used while eating) are Sunnah.

Try to change your usual sitting position while eating. So, following in the footsteps of the Prophet (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) try sitting either on both knees or on your left leg while keeping the right one upright. It’s best not to change the position you choose before you finish eating. If this position does not suit you, particularly at the beginning, then you may take the position you prefer most, but try not to lean on anything. The Prophet (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) would seat himself attentively before food.
Source

:D

Assalamualaikum

Very well explanation.Its like doing tahiyat in prayers with the right leg upright against yr tummy. Ive seen this often among the tabligh jamaat. It could be applied for both brs and srs. We sit like this on the floor not on the table or chairs:happy:

Bro AD that pic is not the way to sit for eating food but that is more like making tayamum:okay:

Allahu Alam.

syilla
08-13-2007, 01:42 AM
yeap thats right...your buttock should touch the floor...not squatting like the picture...lol

Yanal
08-13-2007, 01:47 AM
Here's something else

Back To Home Page 273 hits Sunnats of EATING,DO THESE & GR8 REWARD The Sunnats Of Eating

1. To wash both hands up to the wrists
2. To spread out the dastarkhan (table cloth)
3. To recite Bismillah
4. To eat with the right hand (unless you are incapable of)
5. To eat from that which is in front of you.
If there is a variety of food in the dastarkhan then one could eat whatever one likes. One should
stretch out his hand (in order to get the food) after the other person has drawn his hand back.
6. To eat with 3 three fingers. This helps to digest the food (scientifically proven) as a result by
eating bit by bit. It is the most efficient method of eating. Eating with five fingers and the palm of
the hand is very un-hygienic and this implies the filling of the stomach by food and the digestive
organs could be blocked, which leads to the human being's death.
7. To clean the plate, bowl, etc. and to lick the fingers.
8. To pick up and eat a fallen morsel, and not to leave the same for satan. In this way a person will
find his sustenance in abundance. According to one hadith, the fallen morsel, if taken, become
maihir (dower) for hoouries of the heaven and Allah, the Almighty would keep him and his
off springs safe from leprosy, leucoderma and lunacy.
9. Not to find fault in food.
10. Not to blow in food as a result of carbon dioxide been released.
11. Not to lean while eating.
12. To read the du'aa after the meals.
13. To get up after lifting the dastarkhan and to read the du'aa whilst lifting the dastarkhan.
14. To gargle the mouth.
15. To wash the hands after eating.
16. To recite a special du'aa after having iftar (breaking fast) or after having eaten at another
person's house.

Abdul-Raouf
08-13-2007, 04:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Here's something else

Back To Home Page 273 hits Sunnats of EATING,DO THESE & GR8 REWARD The Sunnats Of Eating

1. To wash both hands up to the wrists
2. To spread out the dastarkhan (table cloth)
3. To recite Bismillah
4. To eat with the right hand (unless you are incapable of)
5. To eat from that which is in front of you.
If there is a variety of food in the dastarkhan then one could eat whatever one likes. One should
stretch out his hand (in order to get the food) after the other person has drawn his hand back.
6. To eat with 3 three fingers. This helps to digest the food (scientifically proven) as a result by
eating bit by bit. It is the most efficient method of eating. Eating with five fingers and the palm of
the hand is very un-hygienic and this implies the filling of the stomach by food and the digestive
organs could be blocked, which leads to the human being's death.
7. To clean the plate, bowl, etc. and to lick the fingers.
8. To pick up and eat a fallen morsel, and not to leave the same for satan. In this way a person will
find his sustenance in abundance. According to one hadith, the fallen morsel, if taken, become
maihir (dower) for hoouries of the heaven and Allah, the Almighty would keep him and his
off springs safe from leprosy, leucoderma and lunacy.
9. Not to find fault in food.
10. Not to blow in food as a result of carbon dioxide been released.
11. Not to lean while eating.
12. To read the du'aa after the meals.
13. To get up after lifting the dastarkhan and to read the du'aa whilst lifting the dastarkhan.
14. To gargle the mouth.
15. To wash the hands after eating.
16. To recite a special du'aa after having iftar (breaking fast) or after having eaten at another
person's house.
Jazakallah Khair

Protected_Diamond
08-13-2007, 09:18 AM
same rule for women too?

tryinghard
08-23-2007, 04:27 AM
:sl: Thank you for all the advice, some of it very interesting :) Is it permissible to eat alone and watch TV/read while doing it? Also, how to avoid the problem of overeating when you eat often at someone else's home and they insist on serving a large amount of food to you?

zarhad
08-23-2007, 04:46 AM
wow suprising i follow most of what has been expalin not all...some times i lean...either that or have to lift my plate a bit because we eat on the floor...only other thing i missed was the du'a afterwards i will have to find one and use it from now on...thank you thats was very usefull :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!