/* */

PDA

View Full Version : confused, killing/terminatig a disabled child in early birth..is this allowed?

Helena
03-29-2007, 07:31 PM
:w:

hope i have posted in the right section got 5% warning already...:X ...

erm in uni we've been discussing issue relating to giving a birth to a disabled child....

AS most of us have agreed that..it is a test from Allah(swt) to see we do in this test, how we help and guide our child and never knw we may enter jannah for this impaired child...

first of all as a muslim should we knw wt gender the child will be? or if he/she is suffering from genetics problem( disabled)?

the prob is one of our close friend has stated that it is perfectly fine to knw whether the child is carrying a disease that he/she will be disabled...and the this really got to my heart...was totally suprised....ya Allah...

a mother can terminate the child if she wants to.....beacuse she wont be able to look after the child....

isnt this test has been given by Allah(swt), as a mother how can she can kill her child.....is this allowed in islam? as my friend sed that she found a fatwa from a scholar stating that it is accepted...is this valid?

:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
03-29-2007, 07:59 PM
interesting Q... very few diseases present right at birth.... most of the trisomies, disomies, monsomies-- etc spontaneously abort prior .. believe it or not some of the others such as neural tube defects or fetal alcohol syndrome even phenylketonuria etc could be prevented prior to conception with proper care.. Now, the ones that do make it-- that we know about is Down's syndrome they survive for quite sometime... and still have a short life expectancy ( I mean if you are worried about what will become of them in your old age) chances are their high risk of acute leukemia and or Alzheimer's will get them before they are 30.... the others such as Edward's or patou's syndrome-- don't make it past two yrs of age... ...the others that aren't normally screened at birth present later on in childhood and some of the rare ones we don't have screening tests for them anyway --hence when you take your child for a "well child visit" such milestones are recorded by the pediatrician... height, weight, head circumference compared to the norm for their specific age group!... Autism etc presents around 2-3 yrs of age so you have no way of telling in advance to "abort"....

My opinion is--I believe that you should know in advance to make the best preparations for your baby possible... Who is to say you are not to have a healthy child who later on becomes unhealthy? There are no guarantees in life at all

--- I don't think there is anything wrong with screening or finding out the sex of your baby... however I find something very morally disturbing about aborting a baby because quote and unquote it is disabled... Children are a wonderful gift even if they come with baggage... those special kids should weigh your scales heavy on the day of judgement... All children are beloved by G-D ... I reckon the ones who are disabled might pave for you a roadway in paradise...

my two cents and
peace

Snowflake
03-29-2007, 08:16 PM
My opinion is--I believe that you should know in advance to make the best preparations for your baby possible... Who is to say you are not to have a healthy child who later on becomes unhealthy? There are no guarantees in life at all

--- I don't think there is anything wrong with screening or finding out the sex of your baby... however I find something very morally disturbing about aborting a baby because quote and unquote it is disabled... Children are a wonderful gift even if they come with baggage... those special kids should weigh your scales heavy on the day of judgement... All children are beloved by G-D ... I reckon the ones who are disabled might pave for you a roadway in paradise...
I agree with PurestAmbrosia 100%.

I've also heard of cases where screening has revealed that a child has a high risk of Downs but parents have decided too proceed with the pregnancy only to find a perfectly healthy child at the end of it. Ask any parent with a Downs child and they'll tell you how much joy they have brought into their lives. Only Allah has the right to decide who lives and who dies.

جوري
03-29-2007, 08:37 PM
^^^ absolutely you can even have mosaicsm in Down's... where they have down like facies and still end up perfectly normal... they just look like a down's baby but can have all sorts of variations--- full penetrance to very mild symptoms and everything therein on that spectrum....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.