/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wishing for Death In Times of Fitnah

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-30-2007, 03:28 AM
:sl:

- Prophet Yusuf said:

{"...cause me to die as a Muslim, and join me with the righteous."} [Yusuf; 101]

Qatadah said, commenting on this verse:

"When his possessions were many, and his eye had been cooled, and he was engulfed in the worldly pleasures and delights, he longed to be joined with the righteous people before him."

[at-Tabari's 'Jami' al-Bayan'; 13/48]

2 - The magicians of Fir'awn said, after Fir'awn threatened to kill them:

{"And you take vengeance on us only because we believed in the signs of our Lord when they reached us! Our Lord! Pour out on us patience, and cause us to die as Muslims."} [al-A'raf; 126]

3 - Mu'adh bin Jabal said:

"One day, the Messenger of Allah did not show up for the morning prayer, to the point that we noticed the Sun was about to rise. We then saw him coming out quickly, and he called for the prayer, and quickly prayed. When he made taslim, he said to us: "Remain in your places."

He then turned to us and said: "I will speak to you about what prevented me from showing up earlier. I got up at night, performed ablution, and prayed as much as I could. I then felt sleepiness to the extent that I was overtaken by it, so, I slept. Suddenly, I awoke to find myself in front of my Lord - the Mighty and Exalted - in the best image possible. He Said: "O Muhammad! Do you know what those of the highest ranks are busy quarrelling over?"

I said: "I do not know, my Lord."
[The Prophet repeated this three times, then said] I then saw Him laying His Palm between my shoulders until I could feel the coolness of His Fingers in my chest, and then everything was revealed to me, and I knew it. Then, He Said: "O Muhammad! Do you know what those of the highest ranks are busy quarrelling over?"

I said: "Regarding those deeds that wipe out sins."

He Asked: "What are they?"

I replied: "Walking to the congregational prayer, remaining in the mosque after the prayer, and making your ablution lengthy and perfect in times of hardship."

He then Asked: "And what are those deeds that increase one's ranks?"

I replied: "Providing food to the people, speaking gently, and praying at night while the people are asleep."

He then Said: "Ask!"

I said: "O Allah, I ask You to grant me the ability to perform good deeds and abandon the bad ones, the love of the poor, and that You Forgive me and have Mercy on me, and that if You want to test a group of people, I ask You to allow me to die without having experienced any fitnah, and I ask for Your Love and the love of those who love You, and the love of a deed that brings me closer to Your Love."

The Prophet then said: "It is true, so, study it and learn it.""

[Reported by Ahmad (5/243) and at-Tirmidhi (3235), and it is authentic]

4 - The Messenger of Allah said:

"None of you should wish for death because of a calamity that has befallen him. But if he has to wish for death, he should say: 'O Allah! Keep me alive as long as life is better for me, and let me die if death is better for me.'"

[Reported by al-Bukhari (5671) and Muslim (2680)]

Ibn Hajar said, commenting on this hadith:

"The Prophet's saying "because of a calamity that has befallen him" is intepreted by a group of the Salaf to mean a calamity in his worldly affairs. So, if he is stricken with a calamity in the affairs of the Hereafter by way of him fearing a fitnah in regards to his religion, this does not fall under the Prophet's prohibition...and this indicates the permissibility of longing for death if one fears fitnah in regards to his religion, and Allah Knows best."

['Fath al-Bari'; 10/128]

an-Nawawi said what is similar to the above in his 'Sharh Sahih Muslim' (9/8).

5 - The Messenger of Allah said:

"There are two things that the son of Adam hates: death - and death is better for the believer than fitnah - and a lack of wealth - and a lack wealth makes the Account lighter."

[Reported by Ahmad in his 'Musnad' (5/427), and it is authentic]

6 - The Messenger of Allah said:

"The Hour will not be established until a man passes by the grave of another man and says: 'If only I were in his place.'"

[Reported by al-Bukhari (7115)]

Ibn Hajar said, commenting on this hadith:

"Ibn Battal said: "The inhabitants of the graves being envied and death being longed for at the time of the emergence of fitnah will be out of fear of the weakening of religious practice with the increase in falsehood and its people, and the emergence of disobedience and sin." [Ibn Hajar continued] and this longing is not something general for all people. Rather, it is specific to the people of righteousness. As for the rest, then they might long for death because of a calamity that has befallen them in their health, family, and worldly affairs, without any of these things having affected his religious practice...

...and many of the Salaf did this, such as 'Umar bin al-Khattab, 'Isa al-Ghifari, 'Umar bin 'Abd al-'Aziz, and other than them. al-Qurtubi said: "It is as if this hadith is indicating that overwhelming trials and hardships will descend until the importance of and concern with religion becomes minimal, and there will remain for nobody except the concern with the worldly affairs and connected matters. As a result, the value of worship in the times of fitnah has been magnified greatly, as Muslim reported, from the hadith of Mu'aqqal bin Yasar: "Worship in the times of trials and tribulations is like a migration to me.""

...and al-Hakim reported that Abu Salamah said: "I visited Abu Hurayrah and said: "O Allah! Return Abu Hurayrah's health to him." So, Abu Hurayrah said: "O Allah! Do not return it to me. O Abu Salamah, if you are able to die, then do so. By the One in Whose Hand my soul is, there will come a time upon the scholars in which death is more beloved to them than red gold, and one of them will pass by the grave of his brother and say: 'If only I were in his place.'""

And 'Abdullah bin as-Samit reported that Abu Dharr said: "There will come a time when a funeral procession will pass through the marketplace in front of a group of people, and a man will see it and shake his head, saying: 'If only I were in this person's place.'" So, 'Abdullah said: "O Abu Dharr! This must be because of something overwhelming!" Abu Dharr replied: "Yes, it certainly is.""

['Fath al-Bari'; 13/81]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mawaddah
03-30-2007, 01:32 PM

Subhanallah :cry:.........and look at all the fitnah in the world today? The hadeeth in which Rasulullah spoke to Allah Azza wa Jalla in particular touched me so much. Jazakallah Khair Ya Akhaana for posting.

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
:salamext:

jazakAllah khair bro, subhanAllah, may Allah give us the tawfeeq to live up to wat we learned on this thread

'Abd al-Baari
03-30-2007, 02:35 PM

Jazakallah for sharing

may Allah give us the tawfeeq to live up to wat we learned on this thread
Ameen Ya Rabal Alameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Maimunah
03-31-2007, 01:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Madani
[B]:sl:

3 - Mu'adh bin Jabal said:

"One day, the Messenger of Allah did not show up for the morning prayer, to the point that we noticed the Sun was about to rise. We then saw him coming out quickly, and he called for the prayer, and quickly prayed. When he made taslim, he said to us: "Remain in your places."

He then turned to us and said: "I will speak to you about what prevented me from showing up earlier. I got up at night, performed ablution, and prayed as much as I could. I then felt sleepiness to the extent that I was overtaken by it, so, I slept. Suddenly, I awoke to find myself in front of my Lord - the Mighty and Exalted - in the best image possible. He Said: "O Muhammad! Do you know what those of the highest ranks are busy quarrelling over?"

I said: "I do not know, my Lord."
[The Prophet repeated this three times, then said] I then saw Him laying His Palm between my shoulders until I could feel the coolness of His Fingers in my chest, and then everything was revealed to me, and I knew it. Then, He Said: "O Muhammad! Do you know what those of the highest ranks are busy quarrelling over?"

I said: "Regarding those deeds that wipe out sins."

He Asked: "What are they?"

I replied: "Walking to the congregational prayer, remaining in the mosque after the prayer, and making your ablution lengthy and perfect in times of hardship."

He then Asked: "And what are those deeds that increase one's ranks?"

I replied: "Providing food to the people, speaking gently, and praying at night while the people are asleep."

He then Said: "Ask!"

I said: "O Allah, I ask You to grant me the ability to perform good deeds and abandon the bad ones, the love of the poor, and that You Forgive me and have Mercy on me, and that if You want to test a group of people, I ask You to allow me to die without having experienced any fitnah, and I ask for Your Love and the love of those who love You, and the love of a deed that brings me closer to Your Love."

The Prophet then said: "It is true, so, study it and learn it.""

[Reported by Ahmad (5/243) and at-Tirmidhi (3235), and it is authentic]

subhanalah!!
jazakaAllah khayr

:w:

Pk_#2
03-31-2007, 02:20 PM
:'(

AsalamuALykum Warahmatullah....
"None of you should wish for death because of a calamity that has befallen him. But if he has to wish for death, he should say: 'O Allah! Keep me alive as long as life is better for me, and let me die if death is better for me.'"

SubhanAllah that is just wow

Peace make dua for me :'( *ahh too hot*

Samira_01
03-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Subhanallah :cry:

jzk'allah akhi !

syilla
04-02-2007, 02:09 AM
:salamext:

Jazakallah khayr....

i never knew that is an exception wishing for death.

MashaAllah thank you again...

Asiyah3
08-21-2011, 08:05 PM
SubhaanAllah..

Abz2000
08-21-2011, 11:42 PM
i'll add a couple:

20. She said: "How shall I have a son, seeing that no man has touched me, and I am not unchaste?"
21. He said: "So (it will be): Thy Lord saith, 'that is easy for Me: and (We wish) to appoint him as a Sign unto men and a Mercy from Us':It is a matter (so) decreed."
22. So she conceived him, and she retired with him to a remote place.
23. And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm-tree:
She cried (in her anguish): "Ah! would that I had died before this! would that I had been a thing forgotten and out of sight!"

24. But (a voice) cried to her from beneath the (palm-tree): "Grieve not! for thy Lord hath provided a rivulet beneath thee;
25. "And shake towards thyself the trunk of the palm-tree: It will let fall fresh ripe dates upon thee.
26. "So eat and drink and cool (thine) eye. And if thou dost see any man, say, 'I have vowed a fast to ((Allah)) Most Gracious, and this day will I enter into not talk with any human being'"

9I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan. 10Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. 11He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death........
revelation 2:9-11

.....8I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it:
for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
9Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie;
behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
10Because thou hast kept the word of my patience,
I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation,
which shall come upon all the world,
to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Revelation 3:8-10

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.