/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is smoking of weed haram?

nevesirth
03-31-2007, 12:03 AM
i know drinking of alcohol is haram, what about smoking of weed{hemp]?
jst curious because i hv some muslim friends who indulg in this.

salam!!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
03-31-2007, 12:07 AM
You mean cannabis? If so, then it's harmful - so it's haram. Not to mention a waste of money and all the crimes people commit to fund their habit.

nevesirth
03-31-2007, 12:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
You mean cannabis? If so, then it's harmful - so it's haram. Not to mention a waste of money and all the crimes people commit to fund their habit.
yes i meant canabis. so wht u mean is anything thts harmful is haram? but some pple take canabis for medicinal purposes:?

Yanal
03-31-2007, 12:12 AM
Salaam Brothers and sisters… I think It is haram forgive me if I made a mistake

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sabbir_1
03-31-2007, 12:15 AM
yeah man it is, how can it not be. causes damage to health. no benefit. waste of money.

Snowflake
03-31-2007, 12:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nevesirth
yes i meant canabis. so wht u mean is anything thts harmful is haram? but some pple take canabis for medicinal purposes:?
yes haram.. Allah subhana watala tells us:

Holy Quran: Do not with your own hands cast yourselves into destruction (2:159).

Kill not yourselves, for verily God has been to you Most Merciful (4:29).

I was going to mention the medicinal uses, but didn't know Islam's stance on it. But given the addiction factor, I'd say it is haram.

nevesirth
03-31-2007, 12:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalil27
yeah man it is, how can it not be. causes damage to health. no benefit. waste of money.
so does chocholate and candy:D

tomtomsmom
03-31-2007, 12:39 AM
yes haram.. Allah subhana watala tells us:

I was going to mention the medicinal uses, but didn't know Islam's stance on it. But given the addiction factor, I'd say it is haram.
Weed isn't adictive sis.

SATalha
03-31-2007, 12:41 AM
things that effect ur behaviour n health streight away is haram. Choc n candy r not bcoz they r foodz n needed. But wen u over indulge than that is a problem.

Snowflake
03-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Dark chocolate is good for your heart and chocolate in general makes you feel good. It's full of antioxidant compounds called polyphenols, which has several effects on the body including being helpful in preventing cardiovascular disease.

Don't put candy down either. In an emergency it can save the life of a diabetic suffering from hypoglycemia. :p

Snowflake
03-31-2007, 12:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
Weed isn't adictive sis.

says who? :?

nevesirth
03-31-2007, 12:48 AM
Dark chocolate is good for your heart and chocolate in general makes you feel good. It's full of antioxidant compounds called polyphenols, which has several effects on the body including being helpful in preventing cardiovascular disease.

Don't put candy down either. In an emergency it can save the life of a diabetic suffering from hypoglycemia. :p
some doctors also prescribe canabis for cancer sufferers to relieve their pain.

Snowflake
03-31-2007, 12:51 AM
some doctors also prescribe canabis for cancer sufferers to relieve their pain.
that doesn't make it halal though

some health experts also recommend two glasses a red wine a day to prevent heart disease! :X

tomtomsmom
03-31-2007, 12:58 AM
It isn't physically addictive. It is all in your head. This is coming from a "former pothead"

nevesirth
03-31-2007, 12:59 AM
that doesn't make it halal though

some health experts also recommend two glasses a red wine a day to prevent heart disease! :X
are u implying tht even if drinking three glasses of red wine a day will save ur life, u wont do it knowing thts ur only means of survival. some orthodox medicine we take also contain minute quantities of alcohol, can taking such medicine be termed haram? same with canabis.

Snowflake
03-31-2007, 01:04 AM
are u implying tht even if drinking three glasses of red wine a day will save ur life, u wont do it knowing thts ur only means of survival. some orthodox medicine we take also contain minute quantities of alcohol, can taking such medicine be termed haram? same with canabis.
But that isn't the only means of survival and at the end life & death is in Allah's hands. And as far as I know no doctor has prescribed wine to a heart patient to save their life. That's just the recommendation of health experts. Just like the 5 a day portions of fruit & veg is.

SirZubair
03-31-2007, 01:06 AM

salam!!!!
Yes, it is haram.

I can't answer your question regarding Medicanal useage of cannabis, but like you said, they INDULGE in it. They have no REASON to smoke it. They are commiting a major sin.

Weed isn't adictive sis.
I agree.

Says tomtomsmom and I.

I smoked weed from the age of 15 til the age of 18/19, daily. Heck, sometimes twice or three times a day. i simply 'enjoyed the buzz'. When i quit, i quit for good. I quit because i decided to become a true Muslim. Since that day i haven't touched it, and even when people around me smoke it, i have no cravings for it whatsoever.

snakelegs
03-31-2007, 01:06 AM
aren't you required to obey the laws of the land? (whether just or unjust).

Snowflake
03-31-2007, 01:07 AM
Oh and about the minute quantities of alcohol.. I consider it haram. But I don't know what the opinion of some scholars is. We can research it if you like.

nevesirth
03-31-2007, 01:07 AM
But that isn't the only means of survival and at the end life & death is in Allah's hands. And as far as I know no doctor has prescribed wine to a heart patient to save their life. That's just the recommendation of health experts. Just like the 5 a day portions of fruit & veg is.
i knw, i was jst exagerating for sake of emphasis, but u dint comment on the alcohal used in making drugs.

Snowflake
03-31-2007, 01:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Yes, it is haram.

I can't answer your question regarding Medicanal useage of cannabis, but like you said, they INDULGE in it. They have no REASON to smoke it. They are commiting a major sin.

I agree.

Says tomtomsmom and I.

I smoked weed from the age of 15 til the age of 18/19, daily. Heck, sometimes twice or three times a day. i simply 'enjoyed the buzz'. When i quit, i quit for good. I quit because i decided to become a true Muslim. Since that day i haven't touched it, and even when people around me smoke it, i have no cravings for it whatsoever.
lol I hear you both.. but why is then that some people get addicted? Doesn't that imply that weed has addictive qualities but some people simply have a higher level of tolerence?

Snowflake
03-31-2007, 01:10 AM
i knw, i was jst exagerating for sake of emphasis, but u dint comment on the alcohal used in making drugs.
I totally forgot til I pressed send.. I replied in my next post though

tomtomsmom
03-31-2007, 01:11 AM
They become addicted to the lifestyle, not the drug itself. Big difference.

nevesirth
03-31-2007, 01:12 AM
in my personal opinion, i feel its the abusing of weed likke any other substance tht can be considered haram! i feel weed taken in small reasonable quantities is similar to stimulants such as coffee and tea, its also a herb!

Snowflake
03-31-2007, 01:13 AM
is that your own observation or a fact? From what I seen weed users have no lifestyle.

tomtomsmom
03-31-2007, 01:13 AM
Yeah pretty much. All things should be done in moderation!!

tomtomsmom
03-31-2007, 01:15 AM
is that your own observation or a fact? From what I seen weed users have no lifestyle.
It is a fact of my own personal observation. I have known alot of people in my life that smoke. Many you would never guess because they are so normal. Those would be the "closet smokers".

Sis have you ever smoked? Have you spent alot of time around people who do?

SirZubair
03-31-2007, 01:17 AM
lol I hear you both.. but why is then that some people get addicted? Doesn't that imply that weed has addictive qualities but some people simply have a higher level of tolerence?
tomtomsmom said just what i was about to say.

in my personal opinion, i feel its the abusing of weed likke any other substance tht can be considered haram! i feel weed taken in small reasonable quantities is similar to stimulants such as coffee and tea, its also a herb!
I am sorry if i come across to harsh but... nobody cares about your opinion on this matter. it is haram if it is used for 'a buzz', for pleasure. Period. Stop making excuses.

As i've mentioned in another thread, a muslim is allowed to drink Alcohol IF he has nothing else to drink, just to survive. He is not allowed to drown himself in a bottle of burbon. A capfull at a time just to keep him going until he is able to locate fresh water is permisable.

I am assuming the same would apply for weed, if it benefits you in some sort of a way, then it MIGHT be permisable. PLEASE, do not take my word for it. I am simply guessing. Contact a scholar for clarification.

SirZubair
03-31-2007, 01:20 AM
It is a fact of my own personal observation. I have known alot of people in my life that smoke. Many you would never guess because they are so normal. Those would be the "closet smokers".
I smoked in the morning before i went to school, i smoked at lunchtime, i smoked after school, i even smoked at night at times. i was a 'peoples people' all along. I was always around people, but whenever i had a free minute, i'd pull out my pipe and stash and puff away until my pipe was so hot that i couldn't put it to my lips anymore.

And no1 around me knew, not a soul.

nevesirth
03-31-2007, 01:23 AM
tomtomsmom said just what i was about to say.

I am sorry if i come across to harsh but... nobody cares about your opinion on this matter. it is haram if it is used for 'a buzz', for pleasure. Period. Stop making excuses.

As i've mentioned in another thread, a muslim is allowed to drink Alcohol IF he has nothing else to drink, just to survive. He is not allowed to drown himself in a bottle of burbon. A capfull at a time just to keep him going until he is able to locate fresh water is permisable.

I am assuming the same would apply for weed, if it benefits you in some sort of a way, then it MIGHT be permisable. PLEASE, do not take my word for it. I am simply guessing. Contact a scholar for clarification.
nobody cares about my opinion? theres something called logical reasoning and analysing of issues without being prejudiced or biased.thts not making excuses.

SirZubair
03-31-2007, 01:32 AM
nobody cares about my opinion? theres something called logical reasoning and analysing of issues without being prejudiced or biased.thts not making excuses.
Where is the logical reasoning in your 'analysing of the issue'?

It is non existent.

It is haram, it is as simple as that.

Like i said, as far as Medicinal use goes, contact a scholar.

But for those who 'indulge' in it, and for those who like abit of 'herbal tea' ( been there, done that,.. thats just another way of getting high ), that is simply haram.

You are comparing Weed to coffee and tea. Coffee and tea don't make people high. Weed does.

So yes, as i said before, you are making excuses. It is as obvious as a white spot on a black stone.

I've tried using every excuse in the book buddy.

"i smoke to kill the germs i have in my lungs...."

"i smoke so that i remain calm, i dont like getting into fights with people.."

Snowflake
03-31-2007, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Zubair, my question^ came after tomtomsmom's reply which you agreed to. What's your reply as to why some people get addicted, i.e. crave the drug, irrelevant of the lifestyle associated with it?

will a small quantity satisfy you when you're having a bad day? Islam implements prevention precisely so that so called 'moderation' doesn't get out of hand.

I also know people who have started smoking weed and can't do without it and some who have gone onto taking heroin because weed wasn't enough for them anymore. As for 'closet smokers', they probably do look normal when they're out of the closet - that's becuz you haven't witnessed the paranoia they suffer when they're smoking behind closed doors.

Sis have you ever smoked? Have you spent alot of time around people who do?
errr... no! But I would say I've spent a fair amount of time around addicts to see the hell they put their families through.

samah12
03-31-2007, 01:48 AM
Salaam Aleykum Brothers & Sisters

Al Azhar university state that drugs (soft and hard) are haraam. A young man I knew believed it to be ok because his local skeikh smoked hashish so he went to Al Azhar and their opinion was definate, "anything that effects the mind in any way that leads you away from Allah is haraam" (hence why alcohol is haraam).

To those that say it is not addictive - it took this young man over 7 months to kick the habit with the help of a doctor.

SirZubair
03-31-2007, 02:00 AM
Zubair, my question^ came after tomtomsmom's reply which you agreed to. What's your reply as to why some people get addicted, i.e. crave the drug, irrelevant of the lifestyle associated with it?
As mentioned earlier, there are people out there who claim to be 'addicted' to it, it is simply a lifestyle for them. They don't know any better.

then there are others..

Some people quit and go back to it (the drug) over and over again is because they have difficulty dealing with Reality. Reality is too hard for them to grasp, so they choose to smoke feed to numb their natural feelings. So it is not an addiction, it is a way to escape from the fact that life can be tough sometimes.

Whenever the going used to get tough for me, i used to roll a joint and puff away, and then i woke up the next morning and realised that my problems had not been solved, so i rolled another joint. and then another and another.

One day i realised that no matter how many joints i smoked, i hadn't moved an inch away from my problems, i was creating more problems for the future.

Once again, Marijuana is not an addictive drug.

format_quote Originally Posted by samah12
To those that say it is not addictive - it took this young man over 7 months to kick the habit with the help of a doctor.
Weed is proven to be a non-addictive drug. Do a google search if you wish. As mentioned previously, it is the lifestyle that is addictive, not the drug.

SirZubair
03-31-2007, 02:03 AM
I woke up one mornings, i decided to quit.

that was 3-4 years ago.

After smoking for 5-6 years, if i was addicted, would i have been able to give up so easily? Some might say "Your iman/faith in Allah helped you..." That is not true. Yes, i had started believing in Allah (swt), but my iman was still very weak. It was not my Iman that helped me pull through. It was my decision to change my life, to turn things around.

Those out there who have difficulty quitting marijuana are simply Weak Minded People, people who have no self control.

Yes, quitting something like LSD was rather difficult, but it was nothing that a boost of Self Control couldn't pull me through.

Hashim_507
03-31-2007, 02:20 AM
Ibn Majah reported from Abu HurairahRZ that the Prophet of GodSAS said:
“An addict of intoxication is like a worshipper of an idol.”

The saying of the ProphetSAS (Ahadith) throws ample light on the subject of intoxication.
The ProphetSAS said:

“Anything which intoxicates by consumption of It’s large quantity, consumption of its small quantity too is Haram.”

Indigo
03-31-2007, 02:34 AM
As salaam alaykum!

Haram or halal, the way it effects the intellect, why would anyone want to consume cannabis? I mean, they call it "dope" for a reason.....

Please forgive me if I offend!:-[

Abdulwaheed
03-31-2007, 02:43 AM
doesnt the government make it illegal to smoke weed anyway? we have to abide by the rule of the society we live in, so either way we cant smoke weed

NoName55
03-31-2007, 03:03 AM
what a nonesensical anology

.................................................. .................................................. ...................................
Marijuana is not an addictive drug
okey dokey
A study in the Journal of Addictive Diseases found that greater frequency of marijuana use among inner-city kids was associated with a greater likelihood to commit violent offenses. The more we learn about marijuana, the less benign it seems.
Research shows that regular marijuana users have serious life problems. In school their grades are worse, at work their thinking is unclear, in relationships they can't communicate. They have low self-esteem and feel disconnected from friends and family. They tend to be under-employed in unchallenging jobs. It's not the violence seen with cocaine and alcohol addicts, but the loss of a productive life is equally tragic.
http://www.brown.edu/Student_Service...alth_Education

What is marijuana?

Marijuana is the dried flowers, leaves and stems of the Cannabis sativa plant. The main active ingredient in marijuana is THC (delta 9 tetrhydrocannabinol). Marijuana can range from 1% THC to 8%. Hashish can be 7% to 14% THC and hash oil is up to 50% THC. THC is a fat soluble substance and can remain in the lungs and brain tissue for up to 3 weeks. There are over 200 nicknames for marijuana, including pot, herb, mary jane and chronic.

How is marijuana used?

Marijuana is usually smoked, using a pipe, a bong or by rolling a joint. Blunts are cigars that are emptied of tobacco and refilled with marijuana, sometimes in combination with other drugs. It can also be eaten in food, for example, by baking it in brownies.

Why do people use marijuana?

Smoking marijuana can relax a person and elevate their mood. This can be followed by drowsiness and sedation. Other effects include heightened sensory awareness, euphoria, altered perceptions and feeling hungry ("the munchies"). High concentrations of THC may produce a more hallucinogenic response.

Are there short-term dangers of smoking marijuana?

Discomforts associated with smoking marijuana include dry mouth, dry eyes, increased heart rate and visible signs of intoxication such as bloodshot eyes and puffy eyelids. Other problems include:
  • Impaired memory and ability to learn
  • Difficulty thinking and problem solving
  • Anxiety attacks or feelings of paranoia
  • Impaired muscle coordination and judgment
  • Increased susceptibility to infections
  • Dangerous impairment of driving skills. Studies show that it impairs braking time, attention to traffic signals and other driving behaviors.
  • Cardiac problems for people with heart disease or high blood pressure, because marijuana increases the heart rate
It is virtually impossible to overdose from marijuana, which sets it apart from most drugs.

Are there long-term consequences to smoking marijuana?

Respiratory problems

Someone who smokes marijuana regularly can have many of the same respiratory problems as cigarette smokers. Persistent coughing, symptoms of bronchitis and more frequent chest colds are possible symptoms. There are over 400 chemicals that have been found in marijuana smoke. Benzyprene, a known human carcinogen, is present in marijuana smoke. Regardless of the THC content, the amount of tar inhaled by marijuana smokers and the level of carbon monoxide are 3 to 5 times higher than in cigarette smoke. This is most likely due to inhaling marijuana more deeply, holding the smoke in the lungs and because marijuana smoke is unfiltered.

Memory and learning

Recent research shows that regular marijuana use compromises the ability to learn and to remember information by impairing the ability to focus, sustain, and shift attention. One study also found that long-term use reduces the ability to organize and integrate complex information.
In addition, marijuana impairs short-term memory and decreases motivation to accomplish tasks, even after the high is over. In one study, even small doses impaired the ability to recall words from a list seen 20 minutes earlier.

Fertility

Long-term marijuana use suppresses the production of hormones that help regulate the reproductive system. For men, this can cause decreased sperm counts and very heavy users can experience erectile dysfunction. Women may experience irregular periods from heavy marijuana use. These problems would most likely result in a decreased ability to conceive but not lead to complete infertility.

Is marijuana addictive?

No one would argue that marijuana is as addictive as alcohol or cocaine. However, it's wrong to say that it is not at all addictive. More and more studies are finding that marijuana has addictive properties. Both animal and human studies show physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms from marijuana, including irritability, restlessness, insomnia, nausea and intense dreams. Tolerance to marijuana also builds up rapidly. Heavy users need 8 times higher doses to get the same effects as infrequent users.
For a small percentage of people who use it, marijuana can be highly addictive. It is estimated that 10% to 14% of users will become heavily dependent. More than 120,000 people in the US seek treatment for marijuana addiction every year. Because the consequences of marijuana use can be subtle and insidious, it is more difficult to recognize signs of addiction. Cultural and societal beliefs that marijuana cannot be addictive make it less likely for people to seek help or to get support for quitting.

How do I recognize a problem with marijuana?

Some warning signs are:
  • More frequent use
  • Needing more and more to get the same effect
  • Spending time thinking about using marijuana
  • Spending more money than you have on it
  • Missing class or failing to finish assignments because of marijuana
  • Making new friends who do it and neglecting old friends who don't
  • Finding it's hard to be happy without it
Because THC is fat soluble and remains in the body for up to 3 weeks, it's important to remember that withdrawal symptoms might not be felt immediately. If you find that you can't stop using marijuana, then remember, there's help on campus.

Is marijuana illegal?

Yes, marijuana is illegal and its possession, use, and sale carry heavy prison sentences and fines and disciplinary consequences at Brown. See the Brown University Policy on Drugs in the Student Handbook

What about the medical use of marijuana?

Marijuana's ability to enhance appetite has led to its medical use to reduce the physical wasting caused by AIDS and to reduce nausea for chemotherapy patients. According to the Marijuana Policy Project, 11 states have laws that allow patients to use medical marijuana despite the prohibition by federal law. For more information on state and federal laws, go the Marijuana Policy Project.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2540141.stm

Natural
03-31-2007, 03:10 AM
Would we not agree that weed is an intoxicant? If agreed, then we know the answer to the question of this thread. Bottom line: Intoxicants are strictly prohibited in Islam. Check surah Al Ma'idah 90, 91. The only time we are allowed to use them are in a matter of life or death. And then as someone has mentioned, we only consume enough to stay alive.

NoName55
03-31-2007, 03:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
Ibn Majah reported from Abu HurairahRZ that the Prophet of GodSAS said:
“An addict of intoxication is like a worshipper of an idol.”
:sl:

I need to know which book this is from because I am under the impression that Allah can forgive anything (upon repentence or if he wills at anyother time) but shirk.

now its shirk to smoke?:omg:

Woodrow
03-31-2007, 04:23 AM
I am quite certain that as Muslims we are bound to live by the laws of the land we live in. Provided the laws do not force us to do something haram or forbid us to do things we are required to day (ie 5 prayers)

With that said and you live in a country where it is illegal, and it will do you no harm to not smoke it, it is haram to smoke it.

Now if you live in a country where it is legal, then that will another issue. I do not know of any country except the Netherlands where it is legal.

contrary to common belief it is illegal in Mexico and possession of it in Mexico will bring the strongest punishments of any country. You can receive life in prison for having one Marijuana cigarette and selling it can be death penalty.

NoName55
03-31-2007, 05:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I am quite certain that as Muslims we are bound to live by the laws of the land we live in. Provided the laws do not force us to do something haram or forbid us to do things we are required to do ............
:thumbs_up

by the way is it not possible to stop members from saying: Ibn Majah reported this, Abu Hurairah said that, the Prophet of God said or did this that and the other (without citing the book for reference)?

:w:

Maimunah
04-03-2007, 04:07 PM

can u post the daleel for that plz. surely i will like to kno bro.

Kidman
04-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Dude, it's an intoxicant, clear and done... it's clear from the quran that you cannot do or take anything that intoxicates you. I forgot the exact surah but if you really want i can search for it.

Kidman

doodlebug
04-03-2007, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I am quite certain that as Muslims we are bound to live by the laws of the land we live in. Provided the laws do not force us to do something haram or forbid us to do things we are required to day (ie 5 prayers)

With that said and you live in a country where it is illegal, and it will do you no harm to not smoke it, it is haram to smoke it.

Now if you live in a country where it is legal, then that will another issue. I do not know of any country except the Netherlands where it is legal.

contrary to common belief it is illegal in Mexico and possession of it in Mexico will bring the strongest punishments of any country. You can receive life in prison for having one Marijuana cigarette and selling it can be death penalty.

It's legal in Canada.

doodlebug
04-03-2007, 04:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by samah12
so he went to Al Azhar and their opinion was definate, "anything that effects the mind in any way that leads you away from Allah is haraam" (hence why alcohol is haraam).

Walaykum Salam

According to some on this board, Al Azhar is not the authority in Islam. Aside from that, if one went by that quote they could say that it's ok to smoke it if you are not led away from Allah. ;)

- Qatada -
04-03-2007, 04:47 PM
:salamext:

Woe to the drinker of wine

Question:

A girl drank alcohol before Ramadaan began, then she started to fast at the beginning of Ramadaan, but one of the sisters told her that her fasting would be rejected and that Allaah would not accept it because she had drunk wine recently, and that she had to wait forty days before Allaah would accept her prayer and fasting. Is this true? May Allaah reward you with good.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Drinking alcohol is a major sin, for wine is the mother of all evils. It clouds the mind, wastes money, causes headaches, tastes foul, and is an abomination of the Shaytaan’s [Satan’s] handiwork. It creates enmity and hatred between people, prevents them from remembering Allaah and praying, calls them to zina [unlawful sexual relationships], and may even call them to commit incest with their daughters, sisters or other female relatives. It takes away pride and protective jealousy (gheerah), and generates shame, regret and disgrace, and puts the drinker in the same category as the most imperfect type of people, namely those who are insane. It leads to the disclosure of secrets and exposure of faults. It encourages people to commit sins and evil actions. It makes people transgress sacred limits and the one who is addicted to it is like an idol-worshipper.

How many wars has it started, how many rich men has it made poor, how many noble people has it brought low, how many blessings has it destroyed, how many disasters has it caused?

How often has it created division between man and wife?
How much regret has it generated and how many tears has it caused to flow?

How often has it closed the doors of goodness to the drinker and opened the doors of evil to him?

How often has it brought about calamity and hastened death?
How much trouble has it brought to the one who drinks it?
It is the source of sin, the key to evil; it takes away blessings and brings calamity.

Even if it did not have all these evil consequences, the fact that one cannot have both the wine of this world and the wine of Paradise is sufficient deterrent.

And the evil consequences of alcohol are many time more than we have mentioned.

From the words of Ibn al-Qayyim in Haadi al-Arwaah.
Allaah has warned us against it in His Book and on the lips of His Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

1 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al-Ansaab (stone altars for sacrifices to idols, jinn, etc), and Al-Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful”

[al-Maa’idah 5:90]

2 – Allaah has cursed the drinker of alcohol. In Sunan Abi Dawood (3189) it is narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has cursed alcohol, the one who drinks it, the one who pours it, the one who sells it, the one who buys it, the one squeezes (the grapes, etc), the one for whom it is squeezed, the one who carries it and the one to whom it is carried.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani as stated in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 2/700.

3 – The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) likened the one who is addicted to alcohol to one who worships idols. It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The one who is addicted to alcohol is like one who worships an idol.” Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 3375; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah, 2720.

4 – The one who is addicted to alcohol will be denied admission to Paradise. It was narrated from Abu’l-Darda’ that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No one who is addicted to alcohol will enter Paradise.” Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 3376; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani as stated in Saheeh Ibn Maajah, 2721.

5 – It was narrated that ‘Uthmaan (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Avoid alcohol for it is the mother of all evils. There was a man among the people who came before you who was a devoted worshipper. A seductive woman fell in love with him, and she sent her slave-woman to him to call him to bear witness. He went with the slave-woman, and every time they passed through a door, she locked it behind them, until he reached a beautiful woman with whom was a child and a vessel of wine. She said, ‘I did not call you to bear witness, rather I called you either to have intercourse with me, or to drink a cup of this wine, or to kill this child.’ He said, ‘Pour me some of this wine.’ So she poured him a cup, then he said, ‘Give me more,’ and he did not stop until he had has intercourse with her and killed the child. So avoid alcohol, for by Allaah faith and addiction to wine cannot be combined except soon one of them will be expelled.”
Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 5666; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Nasaa’i, 5236.

6 – His prayers will not be accepted for forty days. It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever drinks alcohol and gets drunk, his prayers will not be accepted for forty days, and if he dies he will go to Hell, but if he repents, Allaah will accept his repentance. If he drinks wine again and gets drunk, his prayer will not be accepted for forty days, and if he dies he will go to Hell, but if he repents, Allaah will accept his repentance. If he drinks wine again and gets drunk, his prayer will not be accepted for forty days, and if he dies he will go to Hell, but if he repents, Allaah will accept his repentance. If he does that again, Allaah will give him to drink of the mud of khabaal on the Day of Resurrection.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, what is the mud of khabaal?” He said, “The juice of the people of Hell.” Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 3377; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah, 2722.

The fact that his prayers are not accepted does not mean that the person’s prayers are invalid, or that he should give up prayer. Rather what it means is that he will not be rewarded for them. So the purpose of his prayer is to fulfil his duty and to avoid the punishment for not praying.
Abu ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mandah said: The phrase “his prayers will not be accepted” means that he will not be rewarded for his prayers for forty days, as a punishment for drinking alcohol. This is like what they said about the one who speaks when the imam is delivering the khutbah on Friday: he prays Jumu’ah [Friday prayer] but there is no Jumu’ah for him, meaning that he will not be given the reward for praying Jumu’ah, as a punishment for his sin.

Ta’zeem Qadr al-Salaah, 2/587, 588. See also Question no, 20037

Al-Nawawi said:

With regard to his prayer not being accepted, what this means is that he will not be rewarded for it, even though it is valid, and he does not have to repeat it.

With regard to what the questioner was told about her fasting not being accepted, this is based on the view of some of the scholars that the mention of prayer in the hadeeth quoted above is a warning that no other acts of worship will be accepted either.

Al-Mubaarakfoori said in Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi:

It is said that prayer was singled out for mention because it is the best physical act of worship, and if it is not accepted, it is more likely that other acts of worship will not be accepted either.

Al-‘Iraaqi and al-Mannaawi also said something similar.

Based on this view, fasting is not accepted either, but this does not mean that the person who drank alcohol should not fast, rather he is enjoined to fast, but it will not be accepted from him, as a rebuke.
Undoubtedly the person who drinks alcohol should still offer the prayers on time, and fast in Ramadaan. If he omits some of his prayer or fasting, he will be committing a major sin that is even greater than the sin of drinking alcohol.

It should be noted that if a Muslim commits sin and is unable to repent because of his weakness of faith, that should not be used to justify his persisting in sin or his addiction, or his neglecting to do acts of worship. Rather he has to do whatever he can of acts of worship and strive to give up the sins that he is committing.

The Muslim has to fear Allaah and beware of the wiles and snares of the Shaytaan [Satan]. He should not let his soul become a plaything of the Shaytaan. If his Shaytaan overpowers him and makes him fall into sin and disobedience towards his Creator, then he must hasten to repent, for “the one who repents is like the one who did not sin.” Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 2450; classed as saheeh by al-Busayri as stated in al-Zawaa’id Haashiyat Sunan Ibn Maajah.

This punishment for the one who drinks alcohol applies to the one who does not repent. As for the one who repents and turns to Allaah, Allaah will accept his repentance and accept his good deeds.

We ask Allaah to protect us from the tricks of the Shaytaan and to help us avoid temptations both obvious and hidden.
Praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the Worlds.

Islam Q&A

- Qatada -
04-03-2007, 04:49 PM

I just posted that to clarify some things which were confusing in the thread ^

- Qatada -
04-03-2007, 05:01 PM

Source:

Question:

As-salamu `alaykum.
Is drinking in Islam haram? Is it because drinking leads to transgressions? What if one consumes little alcohol? Is it okay to drink then? Does the same holds true for drugs? What if we take very little or if we were just curious to try?

Answer:

* This answer was kindly provided by Idris Tawfiq, a British writer who became Muslim a few years ago. Previously, he was head of religious education in different schools in the United Kingdom. Before embracing Islam, he was a Roman Catholic priest. He now lives in Egypt.
Salam, Dave.

Thank you for your question.

Why would a person want to take something harmful into his body? Why would a rational human being want to dull his senses and cloud his judgment? In a world given to drowning its sorrows in alcohol and drugs, helping people to forget the harsh realities of life and allowing them to enjoy a brief moment of happiness brought about by drink, Islam has a total prohibition on alcohol and all intoxicants. They are forbidden to Muslims. For many people, the problems of this world are too much to bear. Having no faith, or not enough faith to sustain them and give them hope, they turn to drinking.

For the devout Muslim, it is sufficient reason to shun alcohol that Almighty Allah forbids it. This, alone, is enough for him to avoid alcohol and all intoxicants. However, Muslims know that Allah cares for us with an infinite care and has given every advice for us to avoid harm and to do good things that will benefit us.

We need to step back just for a moment into the world of pre-Islamic Arabia to see where this prohibition comes from and how the early Muslims were led, little by little, to give up drinking alcohol altogether.

Allah never asks of us more than we can do, so His injunction against alcohol was delivered in stages. Life in the Arabian Peninsula before Islam was very harsh and people had to be very tough in order to survive. Not only the inhospitable nature of the land, but fierce feuding between tribes, the despicable practice of burying unwanted female babies alive, slavery, and immorality were common.

The people turned to worshipping idols as their way out, beseeching statues of wood and stone to save them. The drinking of alcohol and its associated drunkenness and bad behavior were symptoms of the solace they sought from life's troubles. Alcohol was readily available and shops selling it were open at all times to quench the people's thirst for respite from their woes.

When the message of Islam was first delivered, then, alcohol was readily available and frequently consumed. At first, the Muslims were told in the Qur'an that they should not turn up drunk for the Prayers in the mosque:

*{O you who believe! Approach not prayers with a mind befogged, until you can understand all that you say}* (An-Nisaa' 4:43)

How could they concentrate on praising Allah if their minds were clouded by strong drink? It still remained possible, though, for them to continue consuming wine and other beverages. At a later stage, another revelation was received which told them that there was some good to be found in alcohol, as people would tell us today, but that this was outweighed by the bad:

*{They ask you concerning alcohol and gambling. Say: ‘In them is a great sin, and some benefits for men, but the sin is far greater than the benefits.}* (Al-Baqarah 2:219)

Muslims began to question, after the revelation of this verse, whether perhaps drinking alcohol was the best thing for them to do, even though it was not yet forbidden, and many stopped drinking from this time onward. Drunkenness began to be seen as something shameful and not befitting the high moral standards of which Muslims were called to be the best examples. Muslims would help each other in giving up alcohol, supporting and encouraging those who found it difficult.

Finally, a verse was revealed to the Muslims in Madinah which totally forbade alcohol:

*{You who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination of Satan's handiwork. Eschew such abomination, that you may prosper. Satan's plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you, with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah, and from prayer; will you not then abstain?}* (Al-Ma'idah 5:90-91)

From that day forward, alcohol became forbidden. The word used in the Qur'an, by the way, is Al-khamr, which comes from a word meaning "to ferment," so it is usually translated as wine or alcohol. However, as more modern mind-altering drugs have become available, these, too, have been understood to fall within the prohibition.

So, we can see how Almighty Allah weaned the Muslims away from what was harmful to them. At first, Allah hinted that it might not be good since it would affect their Prayers. Then He said that it did have some good but was mostly bad. Finally, Allah declared it to be the work of Satan.

The early Muslims could not have known what recent medical and scientific studies have shown about alcohol. They could not have known, for example, that it acts as a depressant to the nervous system and that it can cause shrinking of the brain and even senility. They could not have known that alcohol can affect the digestive system, cause high blood pressure, even in small amounts increase the risk of brain hemorrhage and strokes, or that it can affect sleep patterns. Subhan Allah that these things were prevented for Muslims 1400 years ago!

So, the answer to why alcohol is forbidden is clear: It is harmful to us. It is harmful to us, physically, and it also harms us as people. Why would we, as Muslims, need to take solace in drink? One of the saddest features of life in the Western world, for example, is how workers look forward all week long to the end of the week when they can go out together to the pub. This often leads to drunkenness and a lowering of one's guard, which in turn leads to other bad behaviors. How sad that many people, because of loneliness and depression, turn to drink and to drugs to fill in that desperate need for affection or fulfillment in life. What a tragedy that alcohol has torn apart families and broken many lives and careers.

In a world where they feel loved and respected, people would not need these artificial stimulants to make them feel good. One of the amazing features of the Muslim world is that Muslims can go out together for fun and can be genuinely happy, without even thinking of the need for alcohol.

It is a pity that many non-Muslims consider the consumption of alcohol a social necessity, whereas it is not a necessity at all. A glass of wine or a glass of whisky is just not necessary to have fun, so why increase the risk of illness as a result? Why allow your mind to become less than lucid because of alcohol and other intoxicants? Why make a fool of yourself in front of others or say things which you might regret later, when you can socialize with friends and family just as easily over fruit juices or soft drinks?

The fact is that people crave happiness and they will find it in whatever form they know. The pursuit of material things, the relentless urge to improve one's position at the expense of others and the desperate need to be wanted are all symptoms of a society without faith. For Muslims, there is no need for drugs or strong drink. Happiness comes from strong family values and for the respect which we give to each other as true brothers and sisters. The real happiness in life, though, comes from Almighty Allah, the source of all goodness. We can show the rest of the world what life is really about by the way we live as good Muslims.

Brother Mohsen Haredy, a member of Ask About Islam Editorial Staff, would like to add the following:

When Islam prohibited alcohol and drugs, it prohibited them whether they are taken in much or little amounts. If a person is allowed to take the little, the much will be taken later. This prohibition is based on the Shari`ah objective of maintaining and keeping safe one's mind. `Abdullah ibn `Umar reported that: I heard `Umar (ibn Al-Khattab) while he was on the pulpit of the Prophet saying, "Now then O people! The revelation about the prohibition of alcoholic drinks was revealed, and alcoholic drinks are extracted from five things: grapes, dates, honey, wheat, and barley. And the alcoholic drink is that which confuses and stupefies the mind."(Al-Bukhari)

The Prophet is reported to have said:

Of that which intoxicates in a large amount, a small amount is haram. (Ahmad, Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi)

If a bucketful intoxicates, a sip of it (the thing that intoxicates) is haram. (Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi.)

We hope this answers your question. Please keep in touch.

Salam

Useful Links:

Prohibiting What's Harmful

How to Escape an Addiction

A New Muslim and a New Life

Why Do Some Muslims Smoke?

Signs of the Day of Judgment

Kidman
04-03-2007, 05:06 PM
If Allah said something to be haram, and the country said it is legal, you should stay away from it. Even if the country required it, then either you should leave that country, or use the legal system to fight against them forcing you to go against your religion.

Kidman

*~Sofia~*
04-03-2007, 05:19 PM
yes smoking of weed is haram, any intoxicants which causes harm to the body is, such as smoking ciggies, alcohol, any drugs etc.
Allah (swt) says in the Quran:

O you who believe! intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones and (divination by) arrows are an abomination of Satans handiwork. Avoid such abominations that you may prosper. (5:90)

hope this answers your question :)

SirZubair
04-03-2007, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ruwaydah

can u post the daleel for that plz. surely i will like to kno bro.

Asalam alaikum,

At the moment, i cannot be bothered running through all my notes trying to find the daleel... ;D so ...

... my suggestion is, either do a usool fiqh course, insha'allah that'll help.
Or get in touch with your local shaykh/moulana/mufti/alim and ask him, he should be able to provide you with the daleel on the spot.

Like i said, it is only to SURVIVE. Not for pleasure. If he thinks to himself "oh well, i am about to die anyway, i might as well enjoy it while i'm at it..." he is commiting a sin. If he thinks "i'll have a sip now and then until i can locate fresh water, just so i can live on insha'allah.." he is doing nothing wrong, insha'allah.

SirZubair
04-03-2007, 06:28 PM
You are even allowed to eat PIG MEAT if you are put in such a situation.

But realisticly, how often are any of us put in such situations?

- Qatada -
04-03-2007, 06:33 PM

Bro, i think its a good idea you post the daleels for reference purposes so a person can feel certain that what you said is the right thing. Inshaa Allaah. :)

Permitting the Dead Animals in Conditions of Necessity

Allah said,

[فَمَنِ اضْطُرَّ فِى مَخْمَصَةٍ غَيْرَ مُتَجَانِفٍ لإِثْمٍ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ]

(But as for him who is forced by severe hunger, with no inclination to sin (such can eat these above mentioned animals), then surely, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.) Therefore, when one is forced to take any of the impermissible things that Allah mentioned to meet a necessity, he is allowed and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful with him. Allah is well aware of His servant's needs during dire straits, and He will forgive and pardon His servant in this case. In the Musnad and the Sahih of Ibn Hibban, it is recorded that Ibn `Umar said that Messenger of Allah said,

«إنَّ اللهَ يُحِبُّ أَنْ تُؤْتَى رُخْصَتُهُ كَمَا يَكْرَهُ أَنْ تُؤْتَى مَعْصِيَتُه»

(Allah likes that His Rukhsah (allowance) be used, just as He dislikes that disobedience to Him is committed.) We should mention here that it is not necessary for one to wait three days before eating the meat of dead animals, as many unlettered Muslims mistakenly think. Rather, one can eat such meat when the dire need arises. Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Waqid Al-Laythi said that the Companions asked, "O Messenger of Allah! We live in a land where famine often strikes us. Therefore, when are we allowed to eat the meat of dead animals'' The Prophet replied,

«إِذَا لَمْ تَصْطَبِحُوا، وَلَمْ تَغْتَبِقُوا،وَلَمْ تَخْتَفِئُوا بَقْلًا فَشَأْنُكُمْ بِهَا»

(When you neither find food for lunch and dinner nor have any produce to eat, then eat from it.) Only Imam Ahmad collected this narration and its chain meets the criteria of the Two Sahihs. Allah said,

[غَيْرَ مُتَجَانِفٍ لإِثْمٍ]

(with no inclination to sin,) meaning, one does not incline to commit what Allah has prohibited. Allah has allowed one when necessity arises to eat from what He otherwise prohibits, under the condition that his heart does not incline to eat what Allah prohibited. Allah said in Surat Al-Baqarah,

[فَمَنِ اضْطُرَّ غَيْرَ بَاغٍ وَلاَ عَادٍ فَلاَ إِثْمَ عَلَيْهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ]

(But if one is forced by necessity without willful disobedience nor transgressing due limits, then there is no sin on him. Truly, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.) Some scholars used this Ayah as evidence that those who travel for the purpose of committing an act of disobedience are not allowed to use any of the legal concessions of travel, because these concessions are not earned through sin, and Allah knows best.

[يَسْأَلُونَكَ مَاذَآ أُحِلَّ لَهُمْ قُلْ أُحِلَّ لَكُمُ الطَّيِّبَـتُ وَمَا عَلَّمْتُمْ مِّنَ الْجَوَارِحِ مُكَلِّبِينَ تُعَلِّمُونَهُنَّ مِمَّا عَلَّمَكُمُ اللَّهُ فَكُلُواْ مِمَّآ أَمْسَكْنَ عَلَيْكُمْ وَاذْكُرُواْ اسْمَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهِ وَاتَّقُواْ اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ سَرِيعُ الْحِسَابِ ]

(4. They ask you what is lawful for them. Say: "Lawful unto you are At-Tayyibat (the good things). And those Jawarih (beasts and birds of prey) which you have trained as hounds, training and teaching them (to catch) in the manner as directed to you by Allah; so eat of what they catch for you, but pronounce the Name of Allah over it, and have Taqwa of Allah. Verily, Allah is swift in reckoning.'')

Source

Next

SirZubair
04-03-2007, 06:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Bro, i think its a good idea you post the daleels for reference purposes so a person can feel certain that what you said is the right thing. Inshaa Allaah. :)
Asalam alaikum habibi :)

I've just emailed my teacher and asked him to provide me with daleel a.s.a.p, so insha'allah when he gets back to me, i'll provide ya'll with the Info. He might take sometime though, he has alot on his plate.

I've been through my notes, and realised i don't have notes on this topic. I am not doing a Usool Fiqh course, i am doing a Diploma In Islamic Science course.

Khadijah79
04-03-2007, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SM1987
yes smoking of weed is haram, any intoxicants which causes harm to the body is, such as smoking ciggies, alcohol, any drugs etc.
Allah (swt) says in the Quran:

O you who believe! intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones and (divination by) arrows are an abomination of Satans handiwork. Avoid such abominations that you may prosper. (5:90)

hope this answers your question :)

Sister smoking cigarettes is not haram but it's makrooh {disliked}

Yes it does harm the body but it's not haram :)

Same as Pann thats also Makrooh and also harms the body..

SirZubair
04-05-2007, 06:09 PM

Here is Sidi Afroz Ali's reply :

Wa Alaikum Assalaam,

Firstly it would be wrong to state as you have that “Drinking of alcohol is OK, only for survival...”

The correct statement is that Alcohol is prohibited, but becomes conditionally permissible if one’s life depended on it to survive. And example would be when a person is choking to death, and the only fluid available to the one choking to alleviate the choking, is alcohol.

The proof is the Usooli Principle (based on Primary Sourced evidences) Al-Mashaqqatu tajlubut-Tayseer. In other words, Dire necessity necessitates facilitation of ease. This is based on the foundations of Rukhsa, i.e., dispensation. There is another sub-principle that states that the facilitation of ease to the measure of the degree of the difficulty. So, if a person takes one gulp of wine to save oneself from choking to death (the dire necessity must be something that if dispensation was not taken, you would bring grave harm or death upon yourself), the next gulp becomes Haraam if the first saved the person’s life and no further dire condition to take a second gulp exists.

Insha Allah that helps.

Was Salaam

Afroz Ali

Founder & President-

Al-Ghazzali Centre

for Islamic Sciences & Human Development

Email: aali@alghazzali.org

Web: http://alghazzali.org

NobleMuslimUK
04-05-2007, 06:34 PM
OK this is quiet interesting. People generally have this really bad and negative image of such drugs as marijuana and weed and of the users. A lot of smokers started smoking just to fit in with a certain circle of friends or to look cool and before you know it your craving for a cigarette. As for the addictiveness nicotine and caffeine are more addictive than marijuana or weed, so its not a matter of people being addicted to it like someone mentioned before its a lifestyle thing.

Its an intoxicant and its haraam, under the influence you let shaitan take over you mentally, the smokers become enslaved to a loopy fantasy, wishing to relive the moment over and over. Its like idol worship because you become so dependant on it as a means of killing time.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-05-2007, 06:42 PM

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, opium, etc are all unlawful (haram) due to the various harms connected with them.

Marijuana is a psychoactive drug made from the leaves of the cannabis plant. It is usually smoked but can also be eaten. It is the most commonly used and considered to be a soft drug.

Marijuana intoxicates a person the same way alcohol does. It weakens one’s senses and the capability to reflect. Scientific research has proven that, marijuana has much harm, and could lead one in becoming an addict to other hard drugs.

The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Every intoxicant is prohibited.” Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 4088)

And he (Allah bless him & give him peace) also said:

“That which intoxicates in large quantities is prohibited in small quantities.” (Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, and others, with a sound chain of narrators)

So here there is no need to doubt the illicit nature of such modern narcotics like cocaine, heroine, etc. or such soft drugs that are available in the club scenes, places, unfortunately, visited frequently by Muslim youth in the West.

Therefore, explain to you friend that, all drugs are Haram due to the fact that they intoxicate a person in one way or another. One looses the ability to think and reflect in a proper manner, and that is intoxication. If you have a local scholar, seek his advice and take your friend to him.

And Allah knows best!

Sister of Islam

doodlebug
05-21-2007, 03:02 AM
What about for medicinal use though?

If one is in intense pain, one takes a prescribed pain reliever which makes one "loopy" and results in not only the pain being taken away but the mind being compromised.

How is it ok to take a pain reliever and not to smoke a joint, if the intention is to relieve pain?:?

vpb
05-21-2007, 04:22 AM
it is true for sure that people who smoked weed now have a very bad memory, and their behaviour is not the same as they had. they seem to be more "happy" or "funny" in their behaviour. (i'm talking here about "professional" headpots.)

millions of cells of the brain get destroyed while smoking weed, and also as tomtoms said weed is not addictive, but the problem with weed stands that its mission is to put u in higher level to other worse drugs, and in general it does, so it's pretty dangerous.

How is it ok to take a pain reliever and not to smoke a joint, if the intention is to relieve pain?
u should ask a scholar about this. we can't give fatwas with opinions.

rania2820
05-21-2007, 08:24 AM
i laughed when i saw this thread. of course weed is haraam! it intoxicants you and makes you act in a weird way like alcohol does. the only difference is weed doesn't make you as drowsy as alcohol does

Asyur an-Nagi
05-21-2007, 08:38 AM
medically speaking, it has no benefit. there is nothing severe enough to be treated with weed. period.

00:00
05-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Well it ain't halal, or makru. It causes nothing but damage to the body, anythign that causes damage is haraam.Not permissible in Islam.

doodlebug
05-21-2007, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi
medically speaking, it has no benefit. there is nothing severe enough to be treated with weed. period.
Actually medically speaking it is a very quick cure to the nausea induced by chemotherapy. It is also beneficial to those who have glaucoma and it is beneficial to those with MS as well.

doodlebug
05-21-2007, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00:00
Well it ain't halal, or makru. It causes nothing but damage to the body, anythign that causes damage is haraam.Not permissible in Islam.
Smoking cigarettes causes a lot more damage and that isn't haram.

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 05:05 PM

salam!!!!
Salamualikum.
Easy now tiger, weedy eh? lol

does it still hamr ya body? Yesh so ya it is haram because in Islam as a muslim one can not harm body
ma'assalama

00:00
05-21-2007, 05:08 PM
WHAT ,course it haraam.
it causes lot of harm to the body. It causes nothing but harm, there's no benift from it. u wasting ur money buying it, and killing urself smoking it.

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Salamualikum.
^ True indeed. Smoking cigs or anything that is harmful to body is forbidden in Islam why? because Allah subhnwatallah said one who harms body is acting upon a big sin. So why hurt your body even though were looking after the body this is not OUR body in particular were just looking after it, we will leave our soul and will be taken away into dust!

Best to stop smoking it damges your cells in body ALOT, and believe me you it causes a vast amount of illness ask me i used to smoke but ofcourse that was when i was a christain though, alhmdulillah me stopped now and i feel much better even though am still suffereing and regreting now because sooner or later you have chest pains which kill alot. Trust me.

ma'assalama

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
What about for medicinal use though?

If one is in intense pain, one takes a prescribed pain reliever which makes one "loopy" and results in not only the pain being taken away but the mind being compromised.

How is it ok to take a pain reliever and not to smoke a joint, if the intention is to relieve pain?:?
Salamualikum.
But why the heck do you wana waste that load of bull money on some crap? why not on something worthy than something which you smoke and then goes in few hours? relieve pains? my left foot!
ma'assalama

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Salamualikum.
Say who? since when? fill me up with that please. Evidence?
ma'assalama

aadil77
05-21-2007, 05:27 PM

Brother I know people in my college that are muslims and smoke cannabis, Astagfirullah they're aware that its a DRUG and that its HARAAM but still they try to bend the rules and do it anyway. If you consume any drug you will be napaak and considered non-muslims for 40 days, non of your salaah or worship will be counted by Allah. Don't think you can get away with 'small quantities' ! I know someone that was stupid enough to smoke cannabis the day before he went for hajj and he regretted it alot,

Peace

aadil77
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Salamualikum.
ma'assalama

personally i'm against smoking as i don't smoke, i think it should be taxed even more in the U.K. Tobacco is not an intoxicant as it doesn't affect your mind, yes it causes alot of damage to people who are stupid enoigh to smoke but it is NOT HARAAM,

btw what does ma'salama mean?

doodlebug
05-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Salamualikum.
ma'assalama
format_quote Originally Posted by Khadijah79

Sister smoking cigarettes is not haram but it's makrooh {disliked}

Yes it does harm the body but it's not haram :)

Same as Pann thats also Makrooh and also harms the body..

There are certain things that are certainly disliked but not haram. I know that some muslims think that weed is makrooh but not haram. Do you have evidence to show me where smoking cigarettes is haram and not makrooh?

doodlebug
05-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Salamualikum.
But why the heck do you wana waste that load of bull money on some crap? why not on something worthy than something which you smoke and then goes in few hours? relieve pains? my left foot!
ma'assalama

walaykum salam

I am not talking of myself here but I do have a friend who is in constant pain and she uses marijuana for medicinal purposes. It most certainly is a pain reliever and works a heck of a lot better than say tylenol with codeine and is actually cheaper. Have you ever actually tried it? How can you say it doesn't releive pain if you have not tried it?

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77

personally i'm against smoking as i don't smoke, i think it should be taxed even more in the U.K. Tobacco is not an intoxicant as it doesn't affect your mind, yes it causes alot of damage to people who are stupid enoigh to smoke but it is NOT HARAAM,

btw what does ma'salama mean?

Salamualikum.
Right, lets get this straight if cigs harm your body you wouldn't say it's 'haram'? didn't or did allah subhwnatallah say one should NOT harm there body?
Please clear this up with me and if i have misunderstood then forgive me inshallah.
Ma'assalama

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 07:07 PM
There are certain things that are certainly disliked but not haram. I know that some muslims think that weed is makrooh but not haram. Do you have evidence to show me where smoking cigarettes is haram and not makrooh?
Salamualikum.
What does 'Makrooh' mean?. As far as i know since i was a christain then when i reverted to Islam my own Aalimah told me anything that harms body is forbidden in Islam and is haram
Then again i would say Allah Hu Alim.

Forgive me if i have said anything bad or misunderstood you inshallah

Best to ask a scholar inshallah rather that us putting our opinions up :)
Ma'assalama

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 07:09 PM
walaykum salam

I am not talking of myself here but I do have a friend who is in constant pain and she uses marijuana for medicinal purposes. It most certainly is a pain reliever and works a heck of a lot better than say tylenol with codeine and is actually cheaper. Have you ever actually tried it? How can you say it doesn't releive pain if you have not tried it?
Salamualikum.
For your concerns i have tried it when i was a christain. Those were the days, but regret it now. Certainly it was a constant addict because it rarely helped me, even though nowadays people tend to take it because when there stressed but it never helped me it made it worse. Everyone is different i suppose
Ma'assalama

Asyur an-Nagi
05-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Actually medically speaking it is a very quick cure to the nausea induced by chemotherapy. It is also beneficial to those who have glaucoma and it is beneficial to those with MS as well.
but not in the form of a smoked weed. in most cases, opium will even induce nausea, stomach irritation and profuse sweating which is a set back for a chemotherapy.

barney
05-22-2007, 05:22 AM
It's Haram, and its stupid and it causes mental breakdown.

stay WELL CLEAR

muzna
05-22-2007, 05:25 AM
as for medicinal purposes...most medicinal drugs are not for everyday use by just anyone..they are prescribed for use only in certain conditions for certain illnesses..so marijuana as a medicinal drug will be prescribed only for those who really need it..not just for anyone to get high on..that would be drug abuse

rania2820
05-22-2007, 07:12 AM
The reason why smoking is haraam

Question:
why is smoking haram?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Perhaps you know that all nations of the world – Muslim and kaafir alike – have now started to fight smoking, because they know that it is very harmful. Islam forbids everything that is harmful, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There should be no harming or reciprocating harm.”

Undoubtedly there are foods and drinks which are beneficial and good, and others which are harmful and bad. Allaah described our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the following terms (interpretation of the meaning):

“he allows them as lawful At Tayyibaat (i.e. all good and lawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods), and prohibits them as unlawful Al Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods)

[al-A’raaf 7:157]

Is smoking one of the good and lawful things (al-tayyibaat) or one of the evil and unlawful things (al-khabaa’ith)?

Secondly: it was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah forbids you to trade gossip, to ask too many questions and to waste money.” And Allaah forbade wasteful extravagance when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“and eat and drink but waste not by extravagance, certainly He (Allaah) likes not Al Musrifoon (those who waste by extravagance) [al-A’raaf 7:31]

And He described the slaves of the Most Merciful as follows (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who, when they spend, are neither extravagant nor niggardly, but hold a medium (way) between those (extremes)” [al-Furqaan 25:67]

The whole world now knows that the money spent on smoking is to be considered as money wasted, from which no benefit is gained; indeed, it is money spent on something harmful. If the money which is spent on smoking worldwide were to be collected, it could have saved entire populations who have died of starvation. Is there anyone more foolish that one who holds a dollar bill and sets fire to it? What is the difference between him and the one who smokes? Indeed, the smoker is more foolish, because the folly of the one who burns a dollar bill ends there, whilst the one who smokes burns his money and also harms his body.

Thirdly: how many disasters have been caused by smoking, because of cigarette butts which are thrown away and cause fires. Other disasters have been caused in other ways, as when a house was burned down with its occupants inside, when a man lit his cigarette when there was a gas leak.

Fourthly: how many people are offended by the smell of smokers, especially when you are unfortunate enough to have one of them standing next to you in the mosque. Probably any nasty smell is easier to bear than the smell of the smoker’s mouth when he has just woken up. It is amazing how many women can put up with the smell of their husbands’ mouths! The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade those who had eaten garlic or onions from coming to the mosque so that they would not offend their fellow-worshippers with their smell. The smell of onions and garlic is easier to bear than the smell of the smoker and his mouth.

These are some of the reasons why smoking is haraam.

Shaykh Sa’d al-Humayd
http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=10...ng&txt=smoking

rania2820
05-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Ruling on smoking

Question:
Is smoking cigarettes Haraam?

Answer:

Praise be to Allah and peace and blessings be on His Prophet SAWS.

Smoking is one of the things which has caused a lot of problems and harm these days and it has spread like wild fire. Before we discuss this topic in detail, we should know that Allaah the Almighty has divided things in the world into two types, good or permissible (al-tayyibaat, al-halaal) and evil or prohibited (al-khabaa'ith, al-haraam), and there is no third type. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning) in surat al-A'raaf (7:157):

"And He makes good things halaal for them and bad things haraam."

Considering this fact, smoking can either be permissible and good or prohibited and evil.

Thus, we present some of its characteristics and let the person asking the question see himself in which type lies smoking.

There is no disagreement among the physicians and sane people that smoking is harmful for health. It is one of the major causes of lung cancer and other diseases. It is also one of the major causes of death. Since, it is known that the Islamic law prohibits everything that is harmful for a human being. Allah said (interpretation of meaning):
"Do not kill yourself. Allah is Merciful unto you." (Surat al-Nisaa' 4:29)

In addition, His Prophet SAWS (peace be upon him) said:

"There is no harm or causing of harm (in Islaam)." (Arabic "laa darar wa laa diraar")

He SAWS (peace be upon him) also said:

"A person will not be able to move on the Day of Judgment until he is asked about ... his body as to what he engaged it in."

Smoking also goes against the saying of the Prophet SAWS:

"Your body has a right on you."

There is no disagreement among the physicians and sane people that smoking is harmful for the health of others who inhale the polluted breath of the smoker. Medical research has proven the harmful effects of smoking mothers on their children.
The offensive smell caused by smoking is a source of pain to the worshippers of Allah among humans and angels. The angels are offended and suffer from the same things that the human beings suffer from. Allah said (interpretation of the meaning):
"Those who cause harm to believing men and women without any reason do a great sin." (Surat al-Ahzaab, 33:58)

The money that is spent on cigarettes is used on buying a harmful thing and is therefore an extravagance. Allah said (interpretation of the meaning):
"… and do not be extravagant wasters. Those who are extravagant are kinsmen of Satan." (Surat al-Israa' 17:26-27)

Extravagance (in Islam) means spending on something haraam.

Spending money on cigarettes is a waste of resources as well. The Prophet SAWS (peace be upon him) said:

"A person will not be able to move on the Day of Judgment until he is asked about ..... what he owned as to how he spent it."

Considering all that has been presented, it can be clearly seen that smoking is an evil among many others. It is not permissible to indulge in it, or buy and sell it, or even to offer it to others. It is incumbent on a person who is addicted to it that he must make all efforts and get whatever necessary treatment to stop it. If the unbelievers have understood the harm caused by smoking and made laws regarding it, the Muslims should be even more eager to stop it and treat those who are addicted to it.

We ask Allah the Almighty to cure everyone indulging in this evil and help him in giving it up. Allah is the Best Guide to the Right Path.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=11...ng&txt=smoking

Curaezipirid
05-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Salam

The homeopathic materia medica books (try the indian prints from Jain publishers - but the really really big longest most detailed copies), are where you can find the most precise descriptions of what cannabis and also cannabis indica, cause to the psychology.

Basically, it is not advisable, and precisely because there is no way really to get through the experience without attracting the attention of the Jinn, and so you need to be able to call upon a well minded Jinn.

In fact, though the Jinn smoke the drug occassionally so as to know certain things, and not without paying the retribution of in full, the minds of Humans, when addicted to the weed, are as likely as not to actually be becoming addicted to attuning closely with the Jinn.

There is a neuro-transmitter named Anadamide, which is naturally occuring, and THC in cannabis imitates the key it has in its molecular conformation/shape in general, which enters into a molecule in the surface of neurone cells, which has a shape like a lock which is unlocked for that key. It is really a very mechanical process happening at the molecular level. Even basic energy production in the Human body, is the same as in trees for example and all living bodies at the cellular level, and is happening by the mechanics of a stream of isolated tiny molecules falling over another molecule shaped like a paddle wheel, and picking up an extra atom. Then those molecules travel off to where in the body energy is needed, and drop of the extra atom, and head back into the paddle wheel again.

Perhaps you might notice that when I smoked weed I was studying a biochemistry degree at University. Very interesting indeed. I got top marks too. But seriously folks, the price I pay might not be what you would want to.

However these days I am perfectly straight having stabilised my physiology into high levels of production of anadamide. Living with Jinn ain't easy but it is possible, and in total sanity once you can find the way with real Muslim Jinn.

The way off the cannabis is to first connect your smoking habit to a reward system, so that you only smoke when already having begun a work task which needs completing, and then the bio-chemistry of your mind is focussed upon work. The detox is all through facing fear of Jehannam, inevitably then, but it is much better to face that fear while detoxing than while actually engaging in the wrong behaviour. At about three months in, the detox is very scary, but that is when Jinn will test you, are you falling into the not enough self to cope category, or the too much self category. I am in both, because I figured out that the only way to get off the drug without loosing my real self, was to just keep on swallowing more and more, until you can catch up with your own nature as it was being stolen from you by users of other drugs, and drug sellers etc. Opiate users usually attack and make use of the self of cannabis smokers, which is a very good reason not to go near weed.

Believe me seriously here, because the habit I had was only as much as once every couple of months for only a few years, then every day for six months, and then after the detox from that (all happened before I became Muslim), I have smoked only once every year and for testing out what is happening in my full psychological picture, only so as to know what my whole being is gravitating towards, (ie, am I still in that previous level of fear or have I swallowed enough now). That might seem a lot to many of you, but for many Aussie folk it is very little. But we have an unusual tolerance because our indigenous racial biochemistry is normally in a high level of anadamide production, and the most harm done by smoking is that the natural level of anadamide production is lowered. Thankfully I can report that my own level of production is risen back up to higher than it had been before I smoked, needing hard labour for life, and a good conscience, necessary to enable. Best never to smoke it unsupervised by a doctor, if ever, and then even it can not be held as Halal.

The most common medicinal use is taking the 'manic' part out of any bi-polar type of illness. But frankly, bi-polar diseases are just too expensive for the Jinn to hold out for, so while the manic self which folk might notice is insane is diminished by cannabis, a person with a bi-polar condition will more likely be absorbing high levels of extremely paranoid memory traces. It is also used for pain relief with patients dying of AIDS, and that use is really terrible for all their acquaintances, and worse for the patient in the full outcome, so perhaps not too bad, except that it enables AIDS carriers to seem to be able to interact normally. There is a form of psychotic illness which folk manifest whilst dying of HIV/AIDS, that it is better to enable exposure of. I know a homeless weed seller with it, and he is quite absurdly endeavouring to live by faulting those whom fault him for having HIV.

Salam

Curaezipirid
05-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Also, there are Ayurvedic liquorice cigarettes, that get you high for about ten minutes, and then the next time for five minutes, the for two and a half, and by the time you have smoked ten the rest of the packet is making you feel sick just to look at them. They are for getting off tobacco.

What are they in Islam though? Halal, Haram, or neither.

I used tobacco to get off cannabis, and managed to get off tobacco without needing any medicine. The licorice cigarettes only made me want cannabis rather than tobacco.

But here is another very good reason not to smoke cannabis. The newer genetically engineered strains of the weed, have more THC, but also are usually grown with an amphetamine like substance in the water the hydroponic growers use. That is what has caused the worst damage to Aboriginal Australian youth. It is quite a readily available and cheap drug here, not causing crime to get it except the act of purchase, but then after using that strong stuff with amphetamines, many young people had a craving more like coming down from coffee, and were provided with cheap heroin. The heroin gets them more stoned for less money at first, but after a month it is so expensive that it is causing crime, because the half life of heroin (time until there is half as much left in the blood stream) is very long, at three days.

Salam

Gangster No.1
05-22-2007, 08:40 AM
k.

Weed is haram, may allah forgive those who do it, and inshaallah stop.

However smoking cigs isnt haram, it may increase your chance of lung cancer, just as eating to many oily foods. harmfull!

rania2820
05-22-2007, 12:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gangster No.1
k.

Weed is haram, may allah forgive those who do it, and inshaallah stop.

However smoking cigs isnt haram, it may increase your chance of lung cancer, just as eating to many oily foods. harmfull!
please read the fatwas i posted. smoking is haraam. don't compare nicotine to oily foods. no offense but anyone with a half of brain can figure out the difference between smoking cigs and oily foods.

nicotine does far worse damage than oily foods. oily foods won't kill you, if you have them in moderations(which our prophet (pbuh) told us how to eat). cigarettes can still do damage even if done in moderation.

i can't believe muslims are still using this excuse to smoke.

skhalid
05-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Which ever brings harm to you or others is considered to be haram!!!

aamirsaab
05-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Like any drug, it is fine to use it for medicinal purposes (hey that connects with morality!). It depends on it's usage.

For a clear definition of what Haraam actually means:
format_quote Originally Posted by skhalid
Which ever brings harm to you or others is considered to be haram!!!
Thus it is not simply a commandment to avoid it.

Man I'm good at this!

doodlebug
05-22-2007, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rania2820
please read the fatwas i posted. smoking is haraam. don't compare nicotine to oily foods. no offense but anyone with a half of brain can figure out the difference between smoking cigs and oily foods.

nicotine does far worse damage than oily foods. oily foods won't kill you, if you have them in moderations(which our prophet (pbuh) told us how to eat). cigarettes can still do damage even if done in moderation.

i can't believe muslims are still using this excuse to smoke.
http://qa.**************/issue_view....D=677&CATE=115

Is Smoking Permitted? Is it a Munkar?

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani, SunniPath Academy Teacher

In the Reliance, Sh. Nuh translated a fatwa stating that smoking cigarettes is haram because it is like committing suicide on oneself due to the fact that doctors have come out and said that smoking does kill. What about smoking the Hookah (the smoking device found in most Arab countries)? Is there an opinion on that specifically? The Hookah has been around much longer than cigarettes and some classical scholars may have commented on it. I'm trying to understand if there is a difference between cigarettes and the hookah, either by the tobacco that's being used, or how it works. Is it haram, makruh, etc to use such a device?

Walaikum assalaam,

Smoking is differed upon among scholars, and the ruling for hookahs follows that of smoking. The opinion mentioned in the Reliance is also taken by many major Hanafis in our times and in the past. This is certainly the more precautious opinion, and seems to make sense both socially and individually.

HOWEVER, other great scholars still hold that smoking is disliked and not impermissible. While one may not agree with them, their reasoning is has legal grounding and is certainly not baseless. Among such scholars are major Hanafis of India and Pakistan, who say that the actual act of smoking is disliked (makruh tanzihan) unless grave harm is feared from it in one’s specific case. They are well aware of the medical evidence, and take it into consideration in their ruling. I heard this opinion, for example, from Mufti Mahmoud Usmani (Allah preserve him), whose knowledge, wisdom and understanding where eye-opening.

NOW, one may not follow this opinion, but it opens a difference of opinion in the issue, which means that it is no longer obligatory for us as individuals to forbid the evil if one sees someone smoking, though, given one’s belief and the direction religious caution and worldly considerations point, it would be recommended and praiseworthy to advise such smokers to desist, out of nasiha.

May Allah guide us to the best of ways and manners, and grant us the success to follow His Beloved Prophet, for he who is like the beloved is beloved.

Wassalam,
Faraz Rabbani.

doodlebug
05-22-2007, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi
but not in the form of a smoked weed. in most cases, opium will even induce nausea, stomach irritation and profuse sweating which is a set back for a chemotherapy.

Actually specifically in the form of smoked weed it is beneficial to helping nausea. We're talking about marijuana here, not opium.

aadil77
05-22-2007, 06:10 PM

Weed is a intoxicant, ANYthing in islam that INTOXICATES the mind is haraam, you will be considered non - muslim for 40 days as i said before and no worship or deeds will be accepted during that time, i don't see how weed for painkiller is permissable:? , there must be other painkillers

cigerettes do not intoxicate the mind and take hundreds or thousands to really harm the body, so they're not really haraam

aadil77
05-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Actually specifically in the form of smoked weed it is beneficial to helping nausea. We're talking about marijuana here, not opium.
you really make cannabis sound permissable on this thread, i don't think you're aware of how bad it is to smoke, read my above post^

skhalid
05-22-2007, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Like any drug, it is fine to use it for medicinal purposes (hey that connects with morality!). It depends on it's usage.

For a clear definition of what Haraam actually means:

Thus it is not simply a commandment to avoid it.

Man I'm good at this!
Actually if something is categorised to be haram, it is therefore forbidden by Allah to have anything to do with it.
Bacon/Pig,Smoking, Drugs, Alcohol, adultery etc

aadil77
05-22-2007, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by skhalid
Actually if something is categorised to be haram, it is therefore forbidden by Allah to have anything to do with it.
Bacon/Pig,Smoking, Drugs, Alcohol, adultery etc
yh i agree, i don't think many people on this thread understand that

skhalid
05-22-2007, 06:46 PM
yh i agree, i don't think many people on this thread understand that
Thank you!!!!
At least someone agrees with me!!!!
:)

- Qatada -
05-22-2007, 06:49 PM

Weed is a intoxicant, ANYthing in islam that INTOXICATES the mind is haraam, you will be considered non - muslim for 40 days as i said before and no worship or deeds will be accepted during that time, i don't see how weed for painkiller is permissable:? , there must be other painkillers

cigerettes do not intoxicate the mind and take hundreds or thousands to really harm the body, so they're not really haraam

:wasalamex

bro i'm not sure if thats correct, can you bring evidence for that please? jazaak Allaah khayr in advance. :) if u can't, then don't worry but i think its important we bring evidences from Qur'an or Sunnah before saying something like that insha Allaah.

Zman
05-22-2007, 06:58 PM

salam!!!!

It makes you lose control of your mind, exactly like alcoholic intoxication.

It also destroys your brain cells. Especially, the memory cells...

Kittygyal
05-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Salamualikum.
Best to leave this thread because we can not predict our own opionions we need to ask a scholar so the first post who made this thread should aska scholar inshallah, better than us making our opinions up were not getting nowhere at this rate.
ma'assalama

Woodrow
05-22-2007, 07:31 PM
The only thing I can see is that we all seem to have an opinion, but nobody seems to able to quote a 100% acceptable source to verify their opinion.

I can not think of any justifiable reason for it's use, except for medical purposes in some conditions. Cobra venom can be used as a treatment for some conditions, but I would not encourage anybody to use it for a means of relaxation or pleasure.

Like all things if you can not find a justifiable reason to use something, why bother using it? If you think there is justification to use it, show the justification.

doodlebug
05-22-2007, 07:54 PM
you really make cannabis sound permissable on this thread, i don't think you're aware of how bad it is to smoke, read my above post^
Please don't misunderstand...I definitely think it is haram to just smoke a joint to get high. That's plain and clear and shouldn't even have to be debated or questioned.

What I question is its use for medicinal purposes. I know a few cancer patients who use it. Their doctors agree that it is a lot easier for someone who is wicked nauseous to smoke a few puffs of a joint than to actually try to injest an anti-nausea pill. Anti nausea pills are kind of an oxymoron if you think about it.

I also know a dear friend who suffers greatly from Rheumatoid Arthritis. She actually grinds up the weed and mixes it with this milk mixture and uses it in her coffee in the morning and it is twice as effective in relieving her pain as naprosen or any of the analgesics out there.

So.............that being said, yes I have seen fatwas out there saying that recreational use is haram but I am very curious if anyone has seen one regarding medicinal use.

As for the 40 days I have seen someone question this before and they were told that is not true at all so I'd like to see proof of that as well.

Andrew
05-22-2007, 08:45 PM
We should be careful to avoid stereotypes here. Not every person who smokes weed is the same, trust me there are everything from teenage boys to od grandma's who indulge in it.

I also think it it can be addictive but it depends on the person. I have known friends and people at college who are able to limit themselves and never increase or decrease consumtion and also known people who progessively smoked more and more until they were almost in a comatozed state.

It's legal in Canada.
Sorry but this is not true. I have dual nationality and visited Canada on numerous occasions and never found this to be the case although the laws are more relaxed and rarely enforced it is still illegal.

aadil77
05-22-2007, 09:19 PM
:wasalamex

bro i'm not sure if thats correct, can you bring evidence for that please? jazaak Allaah khayr in advance. :) if u can't, then don't worry but i think its important we bring evidences from Qur'an or Sunnah before saying something like that insha Allaah.

no sorry - but someone i know asked his teacher from a darul - uloom academy here in leicester, i think quite a few moulanas have said the same thing, i think i also read it somewhere that you become napaak etc, i'll try and find out

aadil77
05-22-2007, 09:27 PM
yep found it, doesn't specifically refer to cannabis though

It is narrated that in Sahih Muslim: Every intoxicant is khamr (wine) and all Khamr is haraam.

Abdullah ibn Umar reports that the Prophet said, "Whosoever drinks wine, Allah will not accept his prayer for 40 days. If he seeks repentance Allah will forgive him. And if he repeats it Allah will not accept his prayer for 40 days. If he seeks repentance Allah will forgive him. And if he repeats it again Allah will not accept his prayer for 40 days. If he seeks repentance Allah will forgive him. If he repeats it for the fourth time Allah will not accept his prayer for 40 days. If he seeks repentance Allah will not accept it and he will be made to drink from the river of impurities (of the inmates of hell).

Curaezipirid
05-23-2007, 01:43 AM
yep found it, doesn't specifically refer to cannabis though

It is narrated that in Sahih Muslim: Every intoxicant is khamr (wine) and all Khamr is haraam.

Abdullah ibn Umar reports that the Prophet said, "Whosoever drinks wine, Allah will not accept his prayer for 40 days. If he seeks repentance Allah will forgive him. And if he repeats it Allah will not accept his prayer for 40 days. If he seeks repentance Allah will forgive him. And if he repeats it again Allah will not accept his prayer for 40 days. If he seeks repentance Allah will forgive him. If he repeats it for the fourth time Allah will not accept his prayer for 40 days. If he seeks repentance Allah will not accept it and he will be made to drink from the river of impurities (of the inmates of hell).

Salam,

English language speaking Muslims really need to observe much more accurate translations from the original Arabic.

Yes, it is the intoxicating factor which is haram.

If a person can imbibe a smoky substance containing THC or nicotine or licorice or any other plant or other substance, without becoming intoxicated:- but rather can sustain their body in full self knowledge during the experience, but letting the harm done become harm only to their own future health outlook, then it is not haram.

but in the case of cannabis weed, that requires an extra-ordinary amount of hard labour. The mind need be enabled to sustain perfect self knowledge and not sleep, so never fall into unconsciousness, for the smoke to not be haram.

Certainly my description of my own use of, including that I weaned myself off a smoking habit through use of a tobacco, is describing a process that was haram in a way, but in that I am fully accountible for every consequence, and in that it tells a story of real recovery, it is not haram to be revealing the fact of myself. But only because at the start of this thread was a genuine question from a person acquainted with other persons described as smoking the cannabis weed, and of whom we can assume might need to be enabled to sustain their mind in Allah, because they are acquainted with the person whom started this thread.

The drinking from the river of impurities, is what I had described as is happening to persons whom have a bi-polar disorder, and are prescribed cannabis to prevent the psychotic manifestation from being apparent. It is a fact which enables other persons around them to be less likely to be harmed, but makes their own passage in the grave far more lengthy.

salam

Curaezipirid
05-23-2007, 01:45 AM

Every analgesia is an intoxicant.

Curaezipirid
05-23-2007, 01:51 AM
http://qa.**************/issue_view....D=677&CATE=115

Is Smoking Permitted? Is it a Munkar?

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani, SunniPath Academy Teacher

In the Reliance, Sh. Nuh translated a fatwa stating that smoking cigarettes is haram because it is like committing suicide on oneself due to the fact that doctors have come out and said that smoking does kill. . . . .

Everything in all my posts refers singularly to the fact herein mentioned more explicitly. Yet in my knowledge the fact is that every intoxicating substance, or even letting the self become intoxicated by sexual activity, is haram because it is actual suicide in that it is furthering the fact of Death existing among us, but just assuming: ' I can because I know it will kill me rather than harm another living being'.

We are all in life aiming for permanent redemption, and so every intoxicating activity must be held as haram.

The full story about why this is, is connected to the teaching of Isa and the Angel of Death. If anybody can brave the complete contradiction whilst sustaining themself fully in Islam, there is a post just now put into the thread about the Jinn I made, with a warning in the beginning of it to make it safe.

Salam

Curaezipirid
05-23-2007, 02:34 AM
This whole subject, that many of us know of Muslims whom have indulged in smoking of cannabis, is obviously one which is attracting so much attentive audience in this forum that it must be of concern to really very many Muslims.

Why?

I recently came to know a five year old child whose mother had let him become addicted to passive smoking of her cannabis use, and yet she is a believer and raising him also, but she has no education as to it being wrong to so act. In fact she had been entrapped by criminals into false belief of either facing her own death immediately, or smoking. But her will is to attract the attention of such criminal mentality and cause its death with her own, and her son at five is already well minded himself in Allah in that regard. It was such a saddening shock meeting him. His mother is always encouraging his belief in his own inncence by enabling him to believe always in Angels.

What came into my mind in respect of his own exemplary behaviour and manners, within a very depraved life context, was that he is only alike to every adult male whom he has had any chance to admire.

Many Aboriginal men, are going through a process of causing that their external mind and memory is over used at a young age, and sort of short circuits parts of their brain function well ahead of their eventual death of feeling and moving ability. What it seems to enable is that these men, whom are all actual true believers, (those using drugs to not need to recall the past), are aware in the spirit of entering into the time of revelation of prophesy, and are more terrified of becoming causal to the inevitable outcomes, than they are of not having any capacity to gain benefit from their belief. What my question must be, is whether their acts are causing an alteration in the genetic potential.

That is because many have wondered if our species has become overly focussed upon the capacity to remember small details, to the expense of the capacity to stay attuned mentally with continuity in a story.

Why are we needing to worry about believers who are behaving in a way they themselves know to be haram?

Or is it that we had better just let them, and those among such persons whom will be redeemed will find their own way in Allah. They are finding out about why it is that Allah commands us to swallow more impurity if we using an intoxicant to gain knowledge. What they gain knowledge of is only that causal to death.

But then why are they so seeking?

Perhaps it is that many persons whom have no means, are worried about why other persons with much material wealth are not seeming to be accepting of their own death. That is certainly the case among Australian Aborigines, that many are seeking to learn what is the extent to which the total Human account for the places we are familiar with, is not yet been accepted. We seek to draw the Death upon ourself, if whom it is for, can not awaken to it.

But in the long run, what we are needing to learn is that we need forgive the Angel of Death. And forgiving Him is only possible by lessening how much death we drawn upon our own nature. I am certainly very worried about the five year old child I have met. But in that I can accept that he is happy and confident in being a well loved and nurtured Human child, despite the depravity surrounding he and his mother. (Her own mother will be released from a life sentence in prison this year, and she grew up from the middle of her childhood with her mother in prison, and even once committed a crime only to go into prison to visit with her mother, whom was born at Palm Island, QLD Australia – a place which used to be a mission/reserve which Aborigines were imprisoned at if they tried to run away from other mission areas, or if they engaged in traditional culture a mission. It is a place in which the shaytan were given power by the missionaries – there are good literary records of an instance of children being put into an adults prison cell at Palm Island in 1970, for no more than swearing at a school teacher. That reference is at the start of a book named “Why Weren't We Told” by the prominent Australian historian Henry Reynolds. I have a web log somewhere or other with an essay which is written in response to that book, and has a link at http://www.dreaminghaadjmosdancetime.blogger.com) Both mother and child have undoubtedly been completely entrapped into the pattern they are stuck in, and the mother's motivation in letting the child be exposed to the cannabis smoke, was a poorly educated example of want for her child to know itself in Allah. These individuals are not the only alike and all whom are able to sustain full belief in Allah while in such depravity must be within all our prayers.

If the matter of wondering why cannabis use is at all existent among believers arises, then I believe we must investigate the entire circumstance, otherwise how can we learn how to prevent in the future.

Is it true that man are wanting to forget only because they are in too much fear of the future? If so, then their forgetting is causal to that future worsening. Or is it true that men are actually in a stable state of catalysing a future in which an evolutionary possibility might arise. The difference between those two polar extremes of possibility is only whether men are well minded in loving their wives, and mothers their children.

salam

muzna
05-23-2007, 05:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Curaezipirid
Every analgesia is an intoxicant.
analgesics are intoxicants?

aadil77
05-23-2007, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Curaezipirid
Salam,

English language speaking Muslims really need to observe much more accurate translations from the original Arabic.

Yes, it is the intoxicating factor which is haram.

If a person can imbibe a smoky substance containing THC or nicotine or licorice or any other plant or other substance, without becoming intoxicated:- but rather can sustain their body in full self knowledge during the experience, but letting the harm done become harm only to their own future health outlook, then it is not haram.

but in the case of cannabis weed, that requires an extra-ordinary amount of hard labour. The mind need be enabled to sustain perfect self knowledge and not sleep, so never fall into unconsciousness, for the smoke to not be haram.

Certainly my description of my own use of, including that I weaned myself off a smoking habit through use of a tobacco, is describing a process that was haram in a way, but in that I am fully accountible for every consequence, and in that it tells a story of real recovery, it is not haram to be revealing the fact of myself. But only because at the start of this thread was a genuine question from a person acquainted with other persons described as smoking the cannabis weed, and of whom we can assume might need to be enabled to sustain their mind in Allah, because they are acquainted with the person whom started this thread.

The drinking from the river of impurities, is what I had described as is happening to persons whom have a bi-polar disorder, and are prescribed cannabis to prevent the psychotic manifestation from being apparent. It is a fact which enables other persons around them to be less likely to be harmed, but makes their own passage in the grave far more lengthy.

salam

I don't understand your posts, can you make them clearer?

But only because at the start of this thread was a genuine question from a person acquainted with other persons described as smoking the cannabis weed, and of whom we can assume might need to be enabled to sustain their mind in Allah
Are you suggesting that some people need to smoke cannabis to 'sustain their mind in Allah'?

aadil77
05-23-2007, 03:53 PM

and what is 'analgesia'? can you speak understandable english

Kittygyal
05-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Salamualikum.
Like i mentioned before this thread should be closed because no one is perfect or able to answer this question over a forum or NET. We need a good and strong answer for a scholar. Beacsue were just going backwards and forwards to the same position we were in before. Worthless.

Unless you don't have evidence like brother Wordrobe said then don't post. This thread should be closed now because we aint getting nowhere at this rate.

Forgive me if i'z wrong inshallah.
Ma'assalama

aadil77
05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Salamualikum.
Like i mentioned before this thread should be closed because no one is perfect or able to answer this question over a forum or NET. We need a good and strong answer for a scholar. Beacsue were just going backwards and forwards to the same position we were in before. Worthless.

Unless you don't have evidence like brother Wordrobe said then don't post. This thread should be closed now because we aint getting nowhere at this rate.

Forgive me if i'z wrong inshallah.
Ma'assalama
If you read closely, I have posted evidence, :?

- Qatada -
05-23-2007, 03:58 PM

I think the questions been answered in the earlier parts of the thread. So i'll close it insha Allaah.

Thread Closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.