/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I AM in the Holy Quran?

Talha777
03-31-2007, 12:24 AM
فَلَمَّا أَتَاهَا نُودِي مِن شَاطِئِ الْوَادِي الْأَيْمَنِ فِي الْبُقْعَةِ الْمُبَارَكَةِ مِنَ الشَّجَرَةِ أَن يَا مُوسَى إِنِّي أَنَا اللَّهُ رَبُّ الْعَالَمِينَ

(Al-Qasas 28:30)

I'm not an expert in the Arabic language, but I was wandering that why is this not translated as "O Moses! Verily I am I AM Allah" (Ya moosa innee ana Allahu...)? What exactly does "innee ana" signify?

I suspect this is a reference to the following verse of the Book of Exodus:

God replied, "I am who am." Then he added, "This is what you shall tell the Israelites: I AM sent me to you." (Exodus 3:14)

What are your thoughts on this, especially if you are proficient in Arabic?

Here are how others have translated it as:

O Moses! Lo! I, even I, am Allah, the Lord of the Worlds (Picktall)

"O Moses! Verily I am Allah, the Lord of the Worlds.... (Yusuf Ali)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
03-31-2007, 11:05 PM
:sl:

Could you elaborate abit more on that please. I don't get your question?!?

JazaakAllah Khayr.

.:Umniyah:.
03-31-2007, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
فَلَمَّا أَتَاهَا نُودِي مِن شَاطِئِ الْوَادِي الْأَيْمَنِ فِي الْبُقْعَةِ الْمُبَارَكَةِ مِنَ الشَّجَرَةِ أَن يَا مُوسَى إِنِّي أَنَا اللَّهُ رَبُّ الْعَالَمِينَ

(Al-Qasas 28:30)

I'm not an expert in the Arabic language, but I was wandering that why is this not translated as "O Moses! Verily I am I AM Allah" (Ya moosa innee ana Allahu...)? What exactly does "innee ana" signify?

I suspect this is a reference to the following verse of the Book of Exodus:

God replied, "I am who am." Then he added, "This is what you shall tell the Israelites: I AM sent me to you." (Exodus 3:14)

What are your thoughts on this, especially if you are proficient in Arabic?

Here are how others have translated it as:

O Moses! Lo! I, even I, am Allah, the Lord of the Worlds (Picktall)

"O Moses! Verily I am Allah, the Lord of the Worlds.... (Yusuf Ali)

He wants to know why it is not translated as " I am I am" because it says Inni,ana....which to a person who doesnt speak arabi pretty much says I, I.

NoName55
03-31-2007, 11:24 PM
"O Moses! Verily I am Allah, the Lord of the Worlds.

Verily I am Allah إِنِّي أَنَا اللَّهُ

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abu Ibraheem
03-31-2007, 11:25 PM
takeed in a sense , (intensification) it is to say indeed

amirah_87
03-31-2007, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by .:Umniyah:.
He wants to know why it is not translated as " I am I am" because it says Inni,ana....which to a person who doesnt speak arabi pretty much says I, I.
I seee Jazaakillah sis.

Allaahu a'lam but I believe that the "Ana" in that verse is there for emphasis and intensification only (Lit-Tawkeed).

Wallaahu Ta'aalaa A'laa wa A'lam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.