/* */

PDA

View Full Version : why is the headscarf considered a threat?

ziz0u07
03-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Headscrafs has been, banned in many Europeon schools, sparking many controversial debates across the world.

This has caused distress to many muslim sisters in these countries. At this point I think as muslims we need to find out why headscarf is considred as a threat?

And come up with a way to counter such actions against the headscarf or the Burkah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
03-31-2007, 11:48 AM
:sl:

The ban makes no sense as the same type of Headscarfs are worn by people from the Baltic regions of Europe and many Russians.

In fact here is an example of traditional Lithuanian clothing for women.

Does anybody know if the ban applies only to Muslim Woman or does it also include the Eastern Europeans?

Skavau
03-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Some are banned because they infringe uniform policy, others are to do with identification within schools.

So yes, it would apply to the Eastern Europes too in schools that have banned it. I personally wouldn't see any problem with a hijab as long as it didn't infringe on the school uniform and if other religions were allowed to wear their own symbols.

Trumble
03-31-2007, 01:32 PM
I agree with Skavau on the Hijab. I do have problems with the Burkha, though, simply because the non-verbal element of communication is so important, especially with children who don't yet have the experience to fill in the 'gaps'.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ziz0u07
03-31-2007, 02:08 PM
As far as I am aware, small kids who have not passed her puberty does not have to cover their "Aurah" according to Islam.

Muezzin
03-31-2007, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I agree with Skavau on the Hijab. I do have problems with the Burkha, though, simply because the non-verbal element of communication is so important, especially with children who don't yet have the experience to fill in the 'gaps'.
The Burkha's the long coat. You mean the Niqaab. Honest mistake. :)

Trumble
03-31-2007, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
The Burkha's the long coat. You mean the Niqaab. Honest mistake. :)
Sorry, my bad.

Uthman
03-31-2007, 06:50 PM
:sl:

Personally, I have no problems with the Hijab (naturally) nor do I have a problem with other religious symbols being worn by people adhering to other faiths.

However, it is to be noted that the Hijab is a religious obligation for Muslim women whereas religious symbols are not necessarily a requirement for other religions.

:w:

جوري
03-31-2007, 08:02 PM
All organized religions require that the women wear modest dress and covering of the head... Jews Adhere... as far as I know only catholic nuns adhere.. and of course Muslim women... I have never seen anyone harassing a Jewess or a nun for their head cover though

AbuAbdallah
03-31-2007, 08:04 PM
salaam,

It is because the enemies of Islam want to brainwash our youngsters from a young age.

snakelegs
03-31-2007, 08:53 PM
i think it's very wrong to forbid someone from doing something that their relgion requires.
i can't imagine any other reason why the headscarf is considered a threat other than islam is considered a threat.
i knew a russian woman who wore one all her life because she had trouble with her ear.

Skavau
03-31-2007, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbuAbdallah
salaam,

It is because the enemies of Islam want to brainwash our youngsters from a young age.
No it isn't. It is because it could potentially infringe on uniform requirements or be an issue for identification.

i think it's very wrong to forbid someone from doing something that their relgion requires.
You're treading on very thin ice by saying that.

snakelegs
03-31-2007, 10:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skavau

You're treading on very thin ice by saying that.
lol! you're abolutely right!
however in the matter of the headscarf, i think it is wrong to forbid it.

Muezzin
03-31-2007, 11:30 PM
It's wrong to force people to practice religions; it's just as wrong to force them not to. However, if in a particular school, it is against the rules for a Muslim girl to wear a headscarf or a Sikh boy to wear a turban, then it would be better to find a school which allows it.

All this banning of religious symbols going on in certain countries is just silly.

format_quote Originally Posted by Skavau
No it isn't. It is because it could potentially infringe on uniform requirements
Maybe, but I doubt it. Unless you're talking about the niqaab (veil) or burka (long coat).

or be an issue for identification.
Covering hair could be an identification issue?

Woodrow
03-31-2007, 11:39 PM
It's wrong to force people to practice religions; it's just as wrong to force them not to. However, if in a particular school, it is against the rules for a Muslim girl to wear a headscarf or a Sikh boy to wear a turban, then it would be better to find a school which allows it.
That was one of the reasons Catholics started Parochial schools. It used to be that the public schools did many things that were against Catholic beliefs. such as in the cafeteria serving meat on Fridays. Forced saying of the Protestant forms of Prayers at the start of school etc. The Catholics simply started their own schools. You will find that the Quakers and Amish have also set up their own school systems as the public schools forbid many Amish and Quaker practices.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.