/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it haram to work as a mortagage/financial adviser in bank in uk?

peace800
04-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Salaam

I completed a finance degree at university and have been offered a job as a mortgage adviser for a bank in the uk. I know that interest is haram, no doubt about that but I am now worried that I will be doing haram even though I wont be charging interest myself I will just be advising customers as to what products meet their needs. I have heard some people that it is not haram to work in a bank in the uk like that and some say it is, I am totally worried and have few other career options. I would like some advice.

Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
04-02-2007, 02:23 PM
:sl:

This was on a different thread

Working in a riba-based (interest-based) bank

Question:

Aslamoaliakum.

I have been offered a job at a Bank, and I am not sure whether I should work there or not, because the bank makes money from interest (Riba). Please tell me whether working there is allowed (Jaaiz), or not.

jazaakum-Allah-khair.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

You will find the answer in the hadeeth of Jaabir, may Allaah be pleased with him, who said: "The Messenger of Allaah cursed the one who consumes riba (interest or usury), the one who gives it, the one who writes it down and the one who witnesses it. He said: 'All of them are equal in sin.'" (Reported by Muslim, may Allaah have mercy on him, in his Saheeh, no. 1598)

Commenting on this hadeeth, al-Nawawi, may Allaah have mercy on him, said: This is clearly a prohibition of the writing down or witnessing of a contract between the two parties involved in a riba-based deal. It also includes a prohibition of helping others to commit wrong acts. And Allaah knows best.

It is inevitable that the employee in a riba-based bank will play a part in riba dealings one way or another, even if he is just a security guard. Maybe Allaah will help you, my brother, if you are patient, to find halaal employment. (Interpretation of the meaning) "… And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty)." [al-Talaaq 65:2]
Hope it helps, you could also try www.askimam.com or www.islamqa.com

peace800
04-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks.

Hope others can also give opinions etc. Much appreciated.

peace800
04-02-2007, 02:44 PM
I dont know what to do now im worried.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
04-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Heres another link that might help http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...-guidance.html

:)

S_87
04-03-2007, 03:23 PM

the hadith provided sums it all up. even though you wont be giving people interest money you will be advising them regarding interest right? which means you would be handling interest.
Allah will make means for you, dont get involed in interest..

O you who believe! Be afraid of Allah and give up what remains (due to you) from Riba (usury) (from now onward), if you are (really) believers.
And if you do not do it, then take a notice of war from Allah and His Messenger but if you repent, you shall have your capital sums. Deal not unjustly (by asking more than your capital sums), and you shall not be dealt with unjustly (by receiving less than your capital sums).
2:278/9

NoName55
04-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Bismillah Rahman Raheem
Questions and Answers for:
IslamAlways.com
"Is Working in a Bank Job - Haram?
Thank you so much for your Email and your question regarding Islam. It is wonderful to see people like yourself taking the time and interest to learn more about the correct teachings of Islam. This in itself is a sign of guidance from the Almighty Above. May He grant us the wisdom to know the right knowledge and the ability to put it into practice, ameen.
Now you can search our site for answers - yourself. Just go to: More Articles

Now as regards your question:

"Is working in a bank job - Haram?"

Bismillah Al Hamdulilah was Salat wa Salam ala rasoolulah. Allahu Alim.

To continue:

Yes, working in a standard bank under western banking rules and regulations is most likely haram and might pose a problem for a Muslim seeking to fulfill Allah's Rights over him, in that most banking jobs would be related in some way to making money through what is known as "usury" or "rebah" in Arabic. This is strickly forbidden in the Quran and according to Islamic Law it is something to be avoided at all costs.

The problem is for many of us living today, we can hardly avoid coming into contact with this type of banking. All of us have to put our money somewhere and certainly we would have to agree that keeping money in a sock or a money belt can at times be quite inconvenient, not to mention dangerous.

The situation of a person working in a bank and earning their living from it is also very bad for a Muslim and they should be looking for something better for them as soon as possible. It might mean taking a pay cut to some extent, yet that would be better in the eyes of Islam than to continue to earn money from haram (forbidden) sources.

We recommend you to contact your local imam or scholary and then discuss in detail your situation and ask them to help you come to a better situation for the sake of Allah, inshallah.

Allah is the All-Knower and we ask Him to guide all of us to the good of this life and the good of the Next Life, ameen.
Ref: Quran, Surah Al Baqarah 2:276
Also: http://islamqa.com

---------------------------------------------------
Again, it is only Allah who has All Knowledge. May He forgive me my mistakes and guide us all to the right way, ameen.

You can find a lot of answers by researching on our website. Both Quran and Sunnah (Hadeeths) are word searchable:
http://www.TodayIslam.com/everything/
Try it. You'll like it, inshallah.

Jazakalah khair and may Allah continue to guide you, ameen. Wa As-Salam alaykum wa rahmatulah wa barakatah,
Your Brother in Islam,
Yusuf Estes
Read More at: IslamTomorrow.com/articles/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.