/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Breaking of an oath

AnonymousPoster
04-02-2007, 05:13 PM
As-salam alaykum all,

I am a brother in a personal religious problem. I made an oath to Allah , I however today broke that oath that I made to him. I know that I must pray for his forgivness and repenent by fasting for three days, which is what I will do. However when I made the oath, I asked Allah that if I break it, that he send me to hell, as a deterent. It worked, and I was happy, untill I broke it even though I did not want to. I fear that now I am doomed to hell no matter what, I just need some advice on this, plase help, I will continue in prayers and hope for His forgivness in this matter. Thanks all.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
FatimaAsSideqah
04-02-2007, 05:19 PM
:sl:

Do not forget about it : "Truly, Allah loves those who repent, and He loves those who cleanse themselves."
[Al-Baqarah 2:222]

Istighfar is also a means of enhancing that consciousness of Allah and strengthening our relationship with Him. We turn to no one except Allah in repentance. We confess our deepest errors, shortcomings, failures, and sins to Him and Him alone. (In contrast, Christianity made a fatal mistake when it instituted confession to priests. As Martin Luther (1537) observed, "What torture, rascality, and idolatry such confession has produced is more than can be related.") We seek His forgiveness, knowing that He alone has knowledge about all our deeds and thoughts and He alone can forgive us and save us from the consequences of our actions. Istighfar, thus, is a most intimate conversation with Allah. And during that conversation we are at our humblest. We can see why tauba and istighfar are the essence of our servitude and submission to Allah!

We need istighfar to constantly purify and cleanse our heart. We are not born in sin, but we are born in weakness. We are prone to fall prey to the many temptations that are part of our test in this life. And when we do fall and commit a sin, it produces a dark spot in our heart. A famous hadith, reported by Abu Huraira, Radi-Allahu unhu, describes this process. When a person shows remorse and repents, that dark spot is removed. Otherwise it will stay there and grow with each additional sin. A time may come when his heart is full of darkness because of un-repented sins. We can see this gradual darkness of the heart as people advance in their sinful behavior. In the beginning they have a lot of inhibitions. They commit the wrong hesitatingly and feel bad about it. If they do not turn back, they get used to it, so it just feels normal. Then a stage comes when vice becomes virtue and virtue vice. They defend and advocate evil and shun good.

Thats is all I can help you...hope it is good benefical for you, inshAllah!

:w:

Sister of Islam

- Qatada -
04-02-2007, 08:16 PM
:wasalamex

May Allaah ease your affairs, please make sure you don't make scary oaths like that next time.

Allaah says in the Qur'an:

Say: 'O My slaves who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah, verily Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [Soorah az-Zumar (39): 53]

On the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him), who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) say: Allah the Almighty said:

O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great at it.

It was related by at-Tirmidhi (also by Ahmad ibn Hanbal). Its chain of authorities is sound.

May Allaah forgive you and us all, and allow us to die in a state that He is pleased with us. ameen. :)

Snowflake
04-07-2007, 12:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester
As-salam alaykum all,

I am a brother in a personal religious problem. I made an oath to Allah , I however today broke that oath that I made to him. I know that I must pray for his forgivness and repenent by fasting for three days, which is what I will do. However when I made the oath, I asked Allah that if I break it, that he send me to hell, as a deterent. It worked, and I was happy, untill I broke it even though I did not want to. I fear that now I am doomed to hell no matter what, I just need some advice on this, plase help, I will continue in prayers and hope for His forgivness in this matter. Thanks all.

An Oath (in the name of Allah) that entails expiation, is one in which one does what they had sworn not to do.

But if one breaks an Oath out of forgetfulness or compulsion then no expiation is called for. In such a case one is not considered to have committed a sin.

Expiation for a Broken Oath

"So it's expiation is the feeding of ten needy people from the average of that which you feed your own families or clothing them or the freeing of a slave but who cannot find (or affors it) then a fast of three days is requried.." (Quran: Al-Maidah:89)

It is a common mistake that people believe that they have a choice whether to fast or fulfill the other two options. But expiation of an Oath by fasting is only accepted if one cannot afford to fulfill the first two options mentioned in the above verse. Fasting is not a valid means of expiation if one can afford the other alternatives.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AnonymousPoster
04-07-2007, 02:41 AM
As-salam alaykum all,

According to the Hanafi madhab, if you were to break an oath you would owe an expiation:
  1. You would have to free a slave
  2. 2. Or, clothe ten poor people, giving each one a garment big enough to pray in
  3. Or, feed ten poor people two meals each
  4. If unable to do the above, you may fast three consecutive days.

According to the Shafi'i madhab:

1. You must free a slave
  2. Or, feed ten poor people 0.51 liters of grain each
  3. Or, clothe ten poor people
  4. Or, if unable to do the above, fast three days. It is better to fast consecutively.

Umu 'Isa
04-07-2007, 04:24 AM
:salamext:
Someone is asking for advice, save it for a more appropriate thread.

barney
04-07-2007, 04:46 AM
What do you think Islam means to "it is" followers? Are our skills as skilled as yours?

I don't care what advise you give. You can give it until hell freezes over and all the devils go ice skating, but a "staunch agnostic" shouldn't be giving a religious ruling. That is our beef with you. In other words don't quote the Quran like you actually know what you are talking about.
From my dealings on the forum I've been pleasantly surprised by the range of opinions and the knowlage of people here.
Islam appears to me to inspire very deep devotion in its followers and a community that the (gradualy secularising) west is discarding. Christians for example would often pull together to support each other, but thats gradually going.

I note also that the "Submission" on occassions seems to take a form where veiwpoints from outside a religious perspective are always secondary. Even to the point where someone is bleeding at the keyboard, they will firstly receive advice to pray.

The cultural differences are quite apparent too, and I am amazed at how peoples cultural perspectives can change after reversion to islam.

Overall then, Islam seems to fill a followers life every moment of their day and every sentence of their speech, which is facinating.

You take some interest in my other posts, no doubt the ones where I support the liberation of the Iraqi's, my anti-babykiller stance and the condemnation of Irans actions. Probably also my veiws on Hijab wearing, Womens rights, Child beating, Polygamy, the "sword" verses in the Quran to name but a few.

As has been pointed out above though. i was not in this instance making a Ruling on a verse. I was expressing my opinion. That may be blasphemy in your eyes , but since I'm agnostic, Blasphemy dosnt have any meaning to me. offending people , however , i understand and would hope to avoid.
I would hope to be able to continue to put forward questions about Islam without offending anyone. i suspect that about 2 or 3% of people would be offended by that particular post.

(the skills thing was related to the skill needed to post anonymously)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.