/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Japanese create life like robot

Genius
07-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Japanese develop 'female' android
By David Whitehouse
Science editor, BBC News website

Japanese scientists have unveiled the most human-looking robot yet devised - a "female" android called Repliee Q1.
She has flexible silicone for skin rather than hard plastic, and a number of sensors and motors to allow her to turn and react in a human-like manner.

She can flutter her eyelids and move her hands like a human. She even appears to breathe.

Professor Hiroshi Ishiguro of Osaka University says one day robots could fool us into believing they are human.

Repliee Q1 is not like any robot you will have seen before, at least outside of science-fiction movies.

She is designed to look human and although she can only sit at present, she has 31 actuators in her upper body, powered by a nearby air compressor, programmed to allow her to move like a human.

We have found that people forget she is an android while interacting with her
Prof Hiroshi Ishiguro

"I have developed many robots before," Repliee Q1's designer, Professor Ishiguro, told the BBC News website, "but I soon realised the importance of its appearance. A human-like appearance gives a robot a strong feeling of presence."
Designed to look human

Before Repliee Q1, Professor Ishiguro developed Repliee R1 which had the appearance of a five-year-old Japanese girl.

Its head could move in nine directions and it could gesture with its arm. Four high-sensitivity tactile sensors were placed under the skin of its left arm that made the android react differently to differing pressures.

The follow-up has the appearance of a Japanese woman. To program her motion, a computer analysed the motions of a human and used them as a template for the way Repliee Q1 moves.
She can be designed to follow the movement of a human wearing motion sensors or to act independently.

"Repliee Q1 can interact with people. It can respond to people touching it. It's very satisfying, although we obviously have a long way to go yet."

Professor Ishiguro believes that it may prove possible to build an android that could pass for a human, if only for a brief period.

"An android could get away with it for a short time, 5-10 seconds. However, if we carefully select the situation, we could extend that, to perhaps 10 minutes," he said.

"More importantly, we have found that people forget she is an android while interacting with her. Consciously, it is easy to see that she is an android, but unconsciously, we react to the android as if she were a woman."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4714135.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bittersteel
07-28-2005, 03:58 PM

hmm... very life like.

Genius
07-28-2005, 04:01 PM
She should wear hijab.

Bittersteel
07-28-2005, 04:45 PM
;D

lo i don't say she was attractive.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
NooralHaya
07-28-2005, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Genius
She should wear hijab.
haha. then theyd probably think she was a terrorist robot created by al qa'eda

i know at one point they had created robot soldiers to send to 'iraq in the summer... i dunno if they did it or not, but i read the article somewhere,saw a pic of it too. maybe i can still get my hands on it.

its funny how they waste their life doing these things haha

Halima
07-28-2005, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Genius
She should wear hijab.

Or maybe niquab...hmm just a thought..just a thought

Brother_Mujahid
07-28-2005, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
hmm just a thought..just a thought
a thought with alot of thought heh

Ra`eesah
07-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Subhanallah its very scary, if u think about it, imagine what kind of damage these ppl can cause with these things. Allahul Musta'aan

Bittersteel
07-29-2005, 09:42 AM
yeah like the Al Qaida can strap bombs to their body ........

Ra`eesah
07-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

i was kinda more worried about what they can do to Al qaida and the muslim lands.....

Muezzin
07-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Um... it's not a bomb-bot.

That said, it is a female robot, and is creepy because it is made by males. I don't think I really want to know about its functionality other than its ability to talk. :brother:

Ra`eesah
07-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

think outside the box inshallah.

Muezzin
07-29-2005, 10:55 AM
:sl:

I'll only think outside the box if the droid can think outside its memory unit.

That's deep man.

Sort of.

Heh, if this technology progresses, maybe it'll be like the movie 'A.I.' - or the story it was based upon, 'Supertoys Last All Summer Long' (that title is just another tidbit from my house of Useless Facts)

And is anyone else ticked off that in an age of spaceships, cloning, genetic engineering and now humanoid robots, we STILL don't have flying cars? Just stick wings on 'em! Come on NASA, get your head out your backside and into my exhaust pipe.

:w:

Genius
07-29-2005, 03:54 PM
They had fembots in Austin powers aswell, they were evil.

On a more serious note what is the point in creating a robot woman?

Muezzin
07-29-2005, 04:07 PM
To put the kettle on. :p

I am joking of course my modern sisters.

I was thinking that as well - what is really the point of humanoid robots?

Halima
07-30-2005, 02:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brother_Mujahid
a thought with alot of thought heh

You are trying to make it more confusing bro..lol

Abdalla
07-30-2005, 04:08 PM
robot thats walks...whats next?

Genius
07-30-2005, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdalla
A robot that can break dance?

Muezzin
07-30-2005, 04:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdalla
Actually, it can't walk yet. It can talk though.

But yeah, I guess the next step after robots can eventually walk is...

princezz
08-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Salaamz -- --(Brother_Mujahid)
lol i guessed it ws u den hd a luk at ur prfyle
its em --- btw
Wasalaamz

Henry
08-06-2005, 11:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Actually, it can't walk yet. It can talk though.

But yeah, I guess the next step after robots can eventually walk is...

*Grunts*...Metal Gear!

Mainul_Islam
08-08-2005, 05:09 AM
whats next?? reproducing robots?? robots with feelings?? robots with DNA??

Allah Almighty is the only Creator of creations!

ALLAHU AKBAR!

Lateralus63
08-10-2005, 03:28 AM

The japanese never cease to amaze me with their technological wit, usually i think the japanese dont develop new technology to use it...rather to show off that they can actually do it.

Palestinian_Lib
08-10-2005, 07:24 AM
.: Free Palestine:.

Well I don't think you should be thinking stereotypically Lateralus63 :thumbs_up

.: Al Hoorya LiFilisten:.

Muezzin
08-10-2005, 08:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lateralus63

The japanese never cease to amaze me with their technological wit, usually i think the japanese dont develop new technology to use it...rather to show off that they can actually do it.
No, they do stuff like robotics cos no one else is any good at it and it's ultra cool. :D

Besides, I guess these androids could have some practical uses. Interpreters perhaps? Think C3P0 but with skin.

Mainul_Islam
08-10-2005, 04:41 PM
use them to do ur chores, when they're advanced enough ;D

lol only joking... im not that lazy

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.