/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why??????

nadia85
04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Salam ,In my experince as a white british muslim I have found not being offence 2 any1 but that alot of pakistian ppl not many arabs have said 2 me why r u muslim and u r white they think islam is only 4 non white ppl have any white converts had this said to them??I felt so bad by this:cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
04-03-2007, 10:47 PM
I moved this over here as I was having trouble finding where would be an appropriate place. I am certain that this is a problem some reverts face, I do not believe it is very wide spread though.

I personaly have not seen any race issues among Muslims here in the States, however it is common for Non-Muslims to be surprised when they meet a "White" Muslim.

Chechen
04-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Well the Arabs here where I live are really shocked when I tell them I'm muslim because I'm white and when I tell them I'm Chechen they tell me that they thought Chechens were christians...

snakelegs
04-04-2007, 01:09 AM
answer is ignorance. but it must often be difficult for a white muslim.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Angelzz
04-04-2007, 02:45 AM
Assalamu Alaykum sis,

Unfortunately this is common even here in Australia many of my revert sisters have experience similar things to a higher or lesser degree. I know it can be very discouraging and upsetting especially if you dont know other revert sisters you can gain strength from -- But inshaAllah sis dont let this stop you , upset you or diminish your determination about Islam.

As Cat Stevens said His glad he knew Islam before he knew Muslims --- We are humans sis and not perfect and can be hurtful without realising it. Learn to forgive and forget and not to be hurt by others words and actions - you never know this could be Allah test for you.

Also maybe, have you tried to understand their perspective?

Islam always gets a bad rap in the media then there is a "influx" of reverts in the masjids etc -- now this is all an assumption but lets say the muslims get hesitant of all these new ppl -- they might think maybe your there to spy on them or work for some government agency or a journalist etc -- You never know what they are thinking or maybe they just wanna know you but the questions dont come out right?

so be paitent with them sis and keep going to masjids and interacting with them inshaAllah once they start to get to know you - they will soften up and open their hearts to you inshaAllah and you might understand their intentions alot more clearly too.

InshaAllah sis -- all is well with you and remember your never Alone and Allah' help is only a Dua away.

nadia85
04-04-2007, 10:25 AM
The person that told me this was infact a friend (not so sure know)When she said this to me I was shocked and couldnt speack I just looked at her face in disbelive.

Medina83
04-04-2007, 11:07 AM
I got very funny looks in the Masjid. I mentioned this on another thread myself...I could barely listen to the Imam because people were staring at me.
And when I was praying Sunnah prayers, a girl put her bag literally right in front of me so I couldn't bend down for Sajdah I just stood there waiting for her to move it which she eventually did.

She was sitting on the floor beside me and she just moved it there when I stood up to to the Sunnah prayer...

why would someone do that???

- Qatada -
04-04-2007, 11:24 AM
:salamext:

O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).

[Qur'an Hujuraat 49:13]

Malaikah
04-04-2007, 12:00 PM
:sl:

Aw I'm sorry to hear that sis. :( Most people I know are usually delighted to meet reverts. Sure, we are surprised, we can't help it, because we just aren't used to seeing white Muslims, but we certainly are very happy!

I guess it can't be true for everyone, but seriously, most people are very happy to meet a white revert...

A friend of mine is a recent revert to Islam, she converted just a few weeks ago at our uni masjid, there were heaps of girls watching and we were all so effected by it and so happy... all of us are from non-white backgrounds, and none of us held anything against her for being white.

It is a shame that you have been exposed to the ugly side of things, but keep in mind that there are heaps of great Muslims out there who will love you for that fact that you are a revert, mashaallah.

:)

- Qatada -
04-04-2007, 12:13 PM
:wasalamex

Also know that there were white muslims, black muslims, arab muslims, persian muslims etc. at the time of the Messenger of Allaah, peace be upon him.

Black Muslims; i.e. Bilaal.

Arab Muslims; i.e. Abu Bakr, Umar etc.

Persian Muslims: Salmaan Al Faarsi

White Muslims: Suhaib Al Rumi

So remember that even the companions of the Messenger were from different races, and no matter what nation a group of people were from, no matter what race - Allaah sent that nation messengers from among themselves, and among them messengers and prophets, prophets who are of a higher level than us [no matter what race we're from.] So Allaah may have sent messengers to the japanese, to the europeans, to the africans, to the egyptians, to the arabs etc.

This is proven in the Qur'an, when Allaah says:

And We sent not a Messenger except with the language of his people, in order that he might make (the Message) clear for them. Then Allah misleads whom He wills and guides whom He wills. And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise. [Qur'an Ibrahim 14:4]

May Allaah make the path to paradise easy for you, and us all. ameen.

Umar001
04-04-2007, 12:19 PM
I get the opposite.
People think that I've been Muslim all my life, so sometimes they ask questions about my knowledge and they disapprove, until I tell them I've only become muslim and then they take their words back.

Moral of the story, I.e. both sides, we should always assume the best and leave what does not concern us.

Sis dont feel down, you should feel happy.

THink about it, they ask you 'why are you muslim' it's as if Islam is not moulded for you, you see most people stay with what they are brought up with, specially in religion, hardly many people question and research on their own.

So when people see that you have broken your barrier, you have searched, they think 'why are you muslim' as in this aint your place, your meanto be a Christian. Because this is how alot of society is, but there are some special people, like you, who choose to find their faith and search for themselves.

I think its a glad tiding. I'd be happy if someone asked me WHY ARE YOU MUSLIM.

nadia85
04-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Evan though I am white muslim and a convert, Islam has been in my life along time my mother converted 2 islam when i was just six years old as 4 my father he passed away b4 I was born,I lived In a arab country for seven years with my mother and stepdad I enjoyed this very much I came back 2 uk 2 live 3 years ago with my husband if I didnt get married I would stil b there know ,so it s not all been bad experince thats why I said not so much arabs being shocked by white muslim cause my exprenice in the arab coutry i went 2 was good i went there at the age of 11 til i was 18

Maidah
04-04-2007, 01:52 PM
^ im really sorri to hear that sis, but don't worri there will always be ppl taht are ignorant.

Since i recently started wearing my hijab and jilbab, i get a lot of '' so, when did you convert to islam?'' and cuz im asian ppl ask me a lot why i wear the jilbab, which i find i bit weird for them to ask, cuz i've seen many asian women wear it in asian countries.

So i say ignore them and prove to them that islam's values and teachings are not culture bound.

blessed_80
04-04-2007, 05:50 PM
:sl:
dear sis,
don't let this get you down...I can't imagine what it must be like for you to be a convert as I am a born Muslim and a Pakistani...but like someone said before it is all about ignorance...If i meet someone who is white and is Muslim it makes me so happy and because I feel that people who convert from other religions are so much better Muslims than those who were born and brought up as Muslims....and one more thing...I feel that you as a white Muslim living in a country where mostly people are white and from other religions you will probably have more affect on them and they will feel more open towards you in asking you questions about your religion than someone who is not white....so i think it is a blessing that you are a Muslim as you can be someone who will be in a better position to educate your white friends and they will probably listen to you more...so don't worry about the reactions of people who say stuff like that...just take it as part of their ignorance and just try to educate them also so that they don't react in the same way to another revert to Islam and make them feel bad!!!
May Allah give you and all of the other Muslim bothers and sisters strength in their Iman and make all of our worries easier for us...Ameen...

:w:

Muezzin
04-05-2007, 12:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nadia85
Salam ,In my experince as a white british muslim I have found not being offence 2 any1 but that alot of pakistian ppl not many arabs have said 2 me why r u muslim and u r white they think islam is only 4 non white ppl have any white converts had this said to them??I felt so bad by this:cry:
It may just be because of the situation in Bradford. It's not your fault. I'm not knocking the city either. I am criticising the Pakistani people who criticise you for being white and Muslim though. Those people are being ignorant. Islam is for the whole of mankind.

Muslim Woman
04-05-2007, 01:05 AM

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&&

format_quote Originally Posted by Medina83
I got very funny looks in the Masjid. I mentioned this on another thread myself...I could barely listen to the Imam because people were staring at me.
----haha , as i mentioned earlier , born Muslim women were thinking , how & from where a revert sis learnt to wear hijab so beautifully ? :p

......And when I was praying Sunnah prayers, a girl put her bag literally right in front of me ........
why would someone do that???

normally Muslims don't walk/pass in front of a person who is praying/offering Salat/namaz.

before starting prayer in a public place /mosque , it's better if we put a thing in front of us ,so that others don't face problem to walk if necessary.

may the , the sis did so from that good intention ???

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!