/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is the way out of the Gulf crisis?

mohammed farah
04-03-2007, 06:28 PM
How can the stand-off be resolved?

The UK has said it shares Iran's desire for a diplomatic solution to the crisis over 15 captured Royal Navy personnel.

Ali Larijani, of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, told Channel 4 News he favoured diplomacy.

Earlier Iran said it had filmed interviews with all 15 personnel in which they admitted having entered Iranian waters, a claim the UK denies.

Is a diplomatic solution achievable? What do you think of the latest television footage? Is the UK government doing enough? What are your view.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
04-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Thread approved on the condition that participants discuss possible solutions rather than Iran and the sailors in general, as there are already threads discussing that subject.

Gator
04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
A diplomatic solution will be achieved as no other solution makes sense.

There is some speculation involving the Iranians detained in the last few months in Iraq. Everyone is calming down their rhetoric, so it looks like they are working out a deal.

Don't know what's going on behind closed doors so I'm sure Britian is doing what it can.

MTAFFI
04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed farah
Is a diplomatic solution achievable?
Of course there is, Iran simply needs to just give the hostages back as it has already been proven the coordinates of the ship when the soldiers were taken. If a diplomatic solution wasnt on the table the Iranians would try the UK sailors and would be at war with the "west".
What do you think of the latest television footage?
Very typical of the Iranians, very much like a kid who finds a $100 bill on the street right before he has to give it back to the man/woman who dropped it. I find the TV not so much angering me but it just makes me laugh at Iran. It makes me think that they are juvenile and for lack of a better word, stupid.
Is the UK government doing enough? What are your view.
The UK knows just like everyone has known since the beginning, it is only a matter of time. They are doing all they have to do, Iran will give them back they just like to showboat and try to make themselves look big and bad. My view on it is the Iranians need something better to do with their time, maybe they should pay to put food and water and provide shelter for their citizens before they abduct UK sailors and do it for them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
04-03-2007, 09:00 PM
i don't have a tv so i haven't seen the videos of the captives.
there may be hope if the u.s. doesn't sabotage it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rnational/home

wilberhum
04-03-2007, 09:08 PM
The UK knows just like everyone has known since the beginning, it is only a matter of time.
But it is proven that "a matter of time" could be more than a year.

Keltoi
04-03-2007, 11:04 PM
While it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it might be necessary to call for major talks between the parties here. Bring back some form of diplomatic relations and try to find a suitable compromise. It seems to be working to a certain degree with North Korea, and this might be what is necessary here. Lack of diplomatic relations has led to making political statements through the media, i.e., the hostage situation. Give Iran the opportunity to become a responsible party, and if they choose the irresponsible path, the fault is none but their own.

Cognescenti
04-03-2007, 11:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i don't have a tv so i haven't seen the videos of the captives.
there may be hope if the u.s. doesn't sabotage it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rnational/home
Wow. Snakelegs. Are you living out in the John Muir Wilderness or something? Why don't you watch it on CNN online?

Re. US sabotage...have you considered the possibilty that George Bush speaking out publicly and "leaked" stories about the US Navy searching for the hostages...even the use of the poltically loaded term, "hostages", has been coordinated with the UK?

It seems a classic good cop/bad cop ploy.

snakelegs
04-03-2007, 11:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Wow. Snakelegs. Are you living out in the John Muir Wilderness or something? Why don't you watch it on CNN online?

Re. US sabotage...have you considered the possibilty that George Bush speaking out publicly and "leaked" stories about the US Navy searching for the hostages...even the use of the poltically loaded term, "hostages", has been coordinated with the UK?

It seems a classic good cop/bad cop ploy.
actually, i'd love to live out in the desert.
anyway, i don't have a TV and can't watch videos on line because the quality is too poor (have dial-up). i prefer to read anyway. did you read the article i posted a link to?
in any case, admittedly i am not up on the latest developments.
i hope sanity will prevail and this will be over soon.

north_malaysian
04-04-2007, 06:59 AM
i don't have a TV.
:uuh: :uuh: :uuh:

no tv..... in the USA? :-[

snakelegs
04-04-2007, 07:19 AM
lol - it's not because of the $. i don't like tv - never have.
yeah - i know i'm weird!

north_malaysian
04-04-2007, 08:45 AM
lol - it's not because of the $. i don't like tv - never have.
yeah - i know i'm weird!
If people dont have a tv in their life... I think they manage to cut down 99% of their daily sins... :okay:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.