/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gelatin Coating

E'jaazi
04-04-2007, 02:40 AM
We have discussed gelatin before, but I wanted to know if there is a ruling about "getting around" gelatin. What I mean is, that there is a very good supplement that I used to take until I found out that the capsule was made from gelatin from a pork source. The supplement is excellent and I wish I could take it again. My question is this: If I cut the capsule open and just induce the inside and discard the capsule, is that permissible? The capsule would still entire the mouth slightly, but I would not eat it or ingest it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hayate
04-04-2007, 04:34 AM
It is not permissible to even touch pork or pork by-products.

Hayate
04-04-2007, 04:44 AM
Sorry for the double post, I forgot to put this in:

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=210&ln=eng&txt=pork

"Avoiding doubtful things may be preferable to using them in these circumstances, as stated in the hadeeth narrated by al-Nu’maan ibn Basheer (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say – and al-Nu’maan pointed to his ears – “That which is lawful is plain and that which is unlawful is plain, and between the two of them there are doubtful matters about which not many people know. Thus he who avoids doubtful matters clears himself in regard to his religion and his honour, but he who falls into doubtful matters falls into that which is unlawful, like the shepherd who pastures around a sanctuary, all but grazing therein. Truly every king has a sanctuary, and truly Allaah’s sanctuary is His prohibitions. Truly in the body there is a morsel of flesh which, if it is sound, all the body is sound and which, if it is corrupt, all of it will be corrupt. Truly it is the heart.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 1599)."

E'jaazi
04-04-2007, 05:09 AM
Shukran.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
04-04-2007, 12:03 PM
There must be other just as excellent supplements that come in vege-caps.

Check out the veg/vegan range in Boots and Holland & Barrat shops.

Malaikah
04-04-2007, 12:06 PM
:sl:

The stuff comes in a capsule for a reason, I don't think it will be of any use at all if you open the capsule up, otherwise the supplements won't be delivered to the place they are meant to go.

جوري
04-04-2007, 10:33 PM
you can empty the capsular contents into water and drink it up-- it makes no difference what so ever to your body-- your stomach has to digest the capsular cap in order to get to the other contents anyway-- the only time this will be of a problem is when you have a time release formula... obviously if you break a capsule you'll be taking the contents in all at once instead of having it dissolve over time ... also Gelatin can come in Bovine form not just porcine form so you may ask your pharmacist for a substitute choice.
:w:

guideme2007
04-04-2007, 10:46 PM
salaam sister
actually i think it is okay to open up the capsule.

guideme2007
04-04-2007, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by E'jaazi
We have discussed gelatin before, but I wanted to know if there is a ruling about "getting around" gelatin. What I mean is, that there is a very good supplement that I used to take until I found out that the capsule was made from gelatin from a pork source. The supplement is excellent and I wish I could take it again. My question is this: If I cut the capsule open and just induce the inside and discard the capsule, is that permissible? The capsule would still entire the mouth slightly, but I would not eat it or ingest it.
it would be easier if they just used fish gelatin.

Muezzin
04-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Is it possible to get the supplement in liquid or soluble form?

Snowflake
04-05-2007, 12:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by guideme2007
salaam sister
actually i think it is okay to open up the capsule.
remember (history) the leather bags people carried water in on long journeys?
Do you think it'd be ok to drink water from a bag made of pig skin?

جوري
04-05-2007, 12:38 AM

in certain cases like charcoal caps where there are no alternatives but a gastric lavage I think it would be ok to just empty a capsule into a glass of water... necessity overrides what is forbidden. Also a gelatin capsule is much more sterile than a pig skin bottle. I don't see much friction between the capsule and the contents --unless the contents are liquid... or the bottle isn't kept in a cool dry place whereby there is an increased ability of the granules to admix with the capsular cap... That is just my opinion-- I don't see any real benefits to taking Gelatin by itself from a medicinal point of view... your body makes what it needs and be rids itself of any excess... As for needed medications that don't come in any other form but capsular then I suggest emptying contents in water
wallah A3lam

Allah knows best
:w:

Snowflake
04-09-2007, 01:42 AM
All swine by-products are haram. That includes pig skin products like garments, rugs, hair-brushes etc etc. Even though nothing from it is absorbed by the body, we must avoid them, since swine and it's by-products are najis. Therefore it makes sense not to eat substances which have been coated in pig gelatine.

We wouldn't eat out of a pig bone bowl would we? Then why a capsule?

Gelatin is also not an example of Tabdeele Mahiya. Type A gelatin (pig) is Haram because it still contains the original pig protein and amino acids.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.