/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Proud to Be Muslim on Campus

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-04-2007, 04:46 AM
Proud to Be Muslim on Campus

By Bibi Ayesha Wadvalla

When Reza started university, he was a 17-year-old who knew his mind. On his first day, when the older students gathered all the first years for initiation, he refused to do what they said. The older students were irritated at this young upstart. Initiation was part of campus rites — everybody had to do it. Besides, it was harmless fun.
"I explained to them that what they were asking me to do went against Islamic principles and was beneath my dignity, which Islam tells us to always uphold," said Reza. Nobody wanted to hear a "holier than thou" sermon, and thus Reza was thrown into the pond.

"However," continued Reza, "I was glad to see that the girls in hijab were respected and did not have to undergo what they did not want to." Of the five first-year girls in hijab, Zahera was one.

Zahera and Reza later learned that those in the know had stayed away from the piazza, the main area of campus where initiation took place.

"I remember a guy approaching me on my first day. I was so reserved, as I had just recently started wearing hijab and wanted to respect it," said Zahera. "But all he wanted to do was talk about chemistry as we were in the same class!'' she laughed. "Unfortunately, I soon 'melted' and he and I became friends. It was quite difficult not to interact with the males in my class."

Intermingling of the Sexes

Reza echoed her sentiments by saying that intermingling is the most difficult obstacle. As a male, he feels that he's luckier than females in being able to avoid it. "For some reason, it's mostly the males who drive and have cars in the first and second year on campus. Thus, most girls have to be part of a lift club. And I was able to keep my interaction with females down to the bare minimum by just hanging out with the guys."

Zahera agreed with Reza. "I was part of a lift club, and when you spend almost two hours a day traveling with people, it's natural that you'll form a friendship with them. As for socializing, all of our class hung out together. Sometimes us girls would go out by ourselves, but usually it was a mixed group."

However, both Reza and Zahera are adamant that intermingling, although wrong, does not cause one to lose one's Muslim identity. Reza launched into a short speech: "Maintaining your Muslim identity is about resisting the temptations university life throws at you. It's a myth, though, that non-Muslims will pressure you to commit acts against the ethos of Islam. Most Muslims tend to stick together. So the pressure comes from non-practicing Muslim friends. After Friday Prayer, the talk will turn to the weekend. You'll hear there's a party happening on Saturday night. You can decide if you want to follow the crowd or just say no. There's no such thing as platonic friendships, so a class friendship can easily turn into something more. It's tempting, and it's easy to have several relationships on campus."

Zahera, however, does have many non-Muslim friends. "I was involved in numerous extracurricular activities, including sports clubs and the campus newspaper. My headscarf proudly proclaimed my Muslim identity, and almost all my colleagues and friends respected it. There were always social events to attend, and through the newspaper, I often received VIP tickets to clubs and other parties. I always said no, and I was never pressurized to attend. Sure, I heard one or two comments about what a stiff I was, but it didn't bother me. Once, I was the only person not drinking at a dinner. One of my colleagues insisted I just take a sip — he was slightly drunk — and the others immediately lambasted him. I had a Jewish friend who loved the headscarf and used to tell me I'm far more stylish in hijab than girls who follow Western fashion!"

What It Means to Be a Muslim

Zahera was quick to add, "I know I shouldn't even have been at the table where people were drinking, but it was when I was younger and although strong in my beliefs, I was less firm in my assertiveness."

What is the key to maintaining one's Muslim identity at university? It's obvious that strength of character is extremely important. "If you respect yourself, others will naturally respect you," commented Reza.

It is disconcerting to note that there are students who mistakenly believe that maintaining one's identity is only about not drinking and not being engaged in sexual activity. "I know so many people who'll take umbrage at being called non-practicing Muslims, but yet their behavior is consistent with this label," said Zahera. "I was so disappointed in my fellow-Muslim colleagues when a non-Muslim friend commented that when she passes them she does not think highly of them and thinks they are damaging Islam just by being themselves."

Reza clarified, "If you pass by the 'Muslim' area, you are going to see students playing cards all day, probably swearing loudly, and couples sitting together. They are seen to be on campus purely for socializing and give off a very bad impression of Islam." He hesitated, then said, "As harsh as this may sound, if one does not have a very strong Muslim identity to begin with, meaning, not wearing hijab, not praying and so on, then there's nothing to maintain."

While Reza said he was not part of the mainstream crowd, Zahera admitted she was. "But I wasn't just a sheep", she defended herself. "I was popular and hung out often with the crowd. But people respected my decision not to always go out with them. Guys knew they couldn't put their arms around me or hug me as they did with the other girls. When my friend brought to my attention what she thought of the Muslims, she also mentioned that prior to knowing me, she had thought the same of me. This made me question my hanging out there, but I had a large number of friends within the group and could not break away, try as I did."

Appearances are indeed deceptive. It seems clear that unless you have Muslim company, you are in danger of losing your Muslim identity. "Despite my earlier statement, the Muslim students, although non-practicing, are still proud of their identities. We have daily Islamic sessions and there are prayer facilities," said Reza.

We continue to discuss the magical solution to maintaining your Muslim identity, and the answer is simple. Know who you are, follow Islamic values firmly, be strong in your beliefs, and trust that others will respect you if you respect yourself.

Zahera had one final word of advice: "Nobody's a saint, there are times we all feel tempted to 'let go', and the Western lifestyle seems so attractive. But then we know that the path to Paradise is a difficult one. What helps me when these moments strike is asking myself 'Do you want to please mere mortals and gain their brief admiration, or do you want to please Allah and gain His eternal pleasure?'"

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...th%2FYTELayout

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
04-04-2007, 12:54 PM
This is actually a good lesson for all people of faith. While I was in college I saw many self-proclaimed Christians who appeared to be anything but. It is hard for young people today to stay true to their convinctions in the face of peer pressure.

MTAFFI
04-04-2007, 01:45 PM
sounds alot like a madeup story to tell youngin's what to do when they are under peer pressure. Much like the ads that are meant to steer people away from drug use in college, good little story though :D

- Qatada -
04-04-2007, 01:49 PM
:wasalamex

Jazaak Allaah khayr sis, good morals also masha Allaah. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cognescenti
04-04-2007, 04:27 PM
sounds alot like a madeup story to tell youngin's what to do when they are under peer pressure. Much like the ads that are meant to steer people away from drug use in college, good little story though
3 Hours Ago 12:54 PM

I agree. Sounds a bit like the scare film, "Reefer Madness" :)

Talha777
04-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Ignore these non-Muslims, they think there is nothing wrong with society, but a Muslim knows better.

MTAFFI
04-04-2007, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
Ignore these non-Muslims, they think there is nothing wrong with society, but a Muslim knows better.
nothing wrong with my society, it must just be yours

By the way, I actually said that it was a good story, I just dont think it is a true story

LOL

Maybe someone will post something about bigotry, is that what is wrong with YOUR society?

Count DeSheep
04-04-2007, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
The ignore the non-Muslims that said it was a good article? :?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Sorry to bust a cap, but its not propaganda. You speak as if it doesnt happen. Back to reality please, thanks.

The ignore the non-Muslims that said it was a good article? :?
No, the part about it being not true.

MTAFFI
04-04-2007, 06:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Sorry to bust a cap, but its not propaganda. You speak as if it doesnt happen. Back to reality please, thanks.
Really?! Do you know the people that are being spoke of to prove that? Not that I really care that much, I just dont really think it is a real life story. Also, I am not saying it doesnt happen, I am simply saying that it comes across as a little made up, either way the point of the article is no different, hopefully it will help some other Muslim kids make good life choices.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Do I need to know THOSE people when in fact I know of some at my uni? Is it really hard to accept? Just because you dont see it doesnt mean its fake. You dont "think" its true, doesnt automatically make it false. The story is an example of what some students may deal with. It doesnt have to be a fiction story for it to have lessons and morals to learn from. If one could deal with it in society as a whole or worldwide, doesnt disclude the fact it can happen at school.

Muezzin
04-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Doesn't sound made-up to me seeing as I've experienced much of the peer pressure in question (especially the offers for parties and boozing). Luckily, because I explained it to them, my non-Muslim friends understand and respect my beliefs.

And forget 'Reefer Madness', 'Trainspotting' is where it's at.

MTAFFI
04-04-2007, 07:09 PM
The story is an example of what some students may deal with.
an example

Look I am not saying the story is definitely not true, I am saying from my perspective it seems like propaganda, mind you that not all propaganda is bad. I have already said several times that I hope it helps some Muslim students make better choices in regards to their faith, what do you care whether or not I believe it is true? The story wasnt published because it is big news, it is published for one reason and that is to help Muslims make better choices. If you want to believe it is based on real people then good for you, I was just stating my opinion, and if you dont like opinions or your get this worked up over them, maybe you should steer clear of the World Affairs threads because you will see a lot of them here.

and as for Muezzin, I believe you are attending Law school, right? Well we all know what goes on there.... LOL j/k

Seriously though, I didnt mean to offend I was just saying it seems like something read out of a dont do drugs book. Geez cant say anything without offending someone :rollseyes +o(

Cognescenti
04-04-2007, 07:48 PM
I agree. Some of the posters here are wound way too tight.

Yeah...that's right. Non-Muslims believe there is "nothing wrong" with "Western" culture. That is so stupifyingly ignorant as to defy belief.

The point is the article seems clumsy and definitely stagey. Perhaps it was translated into English and lost something? I am sure Muslim students in Western universities do feel some of those pressures...but it still reads like a draft script for "Western Temptations, a Cautionary Tale for Observant Muslims in the 21st Century"

I wouldn't be surprised if, in the film version, the "Westerners" are cast with little rubber horns coming out of their heads (note: I'm not sure if Islam employs references to temptation and "the devil"..perhasp someone could enlighten me)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Clumsy and dodgy cuz yall dont like hearing truth. I dont blame you..:rollseyes

siFilam
04-04-2007, 09:21 PM
:salamext:

that was worth reading. Jazakallah Khair for sharing this with us.
Its sad these Muslims succumb to the non-Mulsims ways and social demands. Worst is that sometimes these things happen in MSA (Muslim Student Association) at my university. I don't mean the drinking but almost everything else. And there is nothing wrong with being "too tight" when it comes to practicing Islam properly.

and Allah knows best.

wasalam
-SI-

Chechnya
04-04-2007, 10:22 PM
what exactly is the point of this article? :?

the sister quite openly admits free-mixing, hanging around with people who drink etc.

if this article is meant to show young muslims how to behave in a non-islamic education environment, its not doing a very good job

Cognescenti
04-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Clumsy and dodgy cuz yall dont like hearing truth. I dont blame you..:rollseyes
Huh? Don't like hearing the truth? That there is drinking on university campuses?? That there is sexual activity?? That Muslim students might feel estrangement??

Look, sis. I didn't invent Western culture. In fact, I don't think anyone even asked my permission. As a consequence, I have no personal hang-up with hearing the truth.

You are going to have to be more specific when insulting me (or perhaps all "Westerners" as you used the expression "yall") because I can't tell what I am being accused of.

I don't even think you read my post carefully.

Muezzin
04-04-2007, 11:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
I wouldn't be surprised if, in the film version, the "Westerners" are cast with little rubber horns coming out of their heads (note: I'm not sure if Islam employs references to temptation and "the devil"..perhasp someone could enlighten me)
Jeez, for a guy quick to point out chips on minority groups' shoulders, you seem to be carrying around a few of your own!

Where does it demonise 'Westerners'? If anything, it condemns 'Non-Practicing Muslims'. Both the boy and the girl accept that 'Westerners' have a certain lifestyle, which is fine; however, if you're Muslim, you're supposed to have a different lifestyle and stick to it rather than give in to peer pressure. What's wrong with that?

Cognescenti
04-05-2007, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Jeez, for a guy quick to point out chips on minority groups' shoulders, you seem to be carrying around a few of your own!

Where does it demonise 'Westerners'? If anything, it condemns 'Non-Practicing Muslims'. Both the boy and the girl accept that 'Westerners' have a certain lifestyle, which is fine; however, if you're Muslim, you're supposed to have a different lifestyle and stick to it rather than give in to peer pressure. What's wrong with that?
To paraphrase WC...never has more controversy made by so many over so little.:)

I have absolutely ZERO problem with the intent of the article. I saw it as perfectly harmless albeit somewhat clumsy. I found the whole thing humorous...half imagaining the non-Muslims enticing the poor Muslim kids....."come on kids, join us in sin.....it's FUN!" Like I said...Reefer Madness for the 21st Century.

Jazzy seems to have not taken good humored criticism very well and has seen fit to indict "Western culture" in its entirety

Muezzin
04-05-2007, 12:05 AM
To paraphrase WC...never has more controversy made by so many over so little.
This ain't nothing. You should have seen what happened when I ate the last Cadbury's Creme Egg.

Anyhow, slight misunderstanding there, my apologies if I caused any offence or anything. :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-05-2007, 12:07 AM
I never even stated anything about Western culture..what u on about? The only thing that bugs me is that some of u r reading it like a fiction story with just some good morals to get out of it. Anything on an Islamic site is dodgy, but anywhere else its okie dokie pokie! I can take humorous criticism, not stupidity :D

Muezzin
04-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Well, we all agree that the moral of the story is good at least.

Let's not make mountains out of molehills here. The paperwork gives me headaches and we're running out of aspirin. :p

siFilam
04-05-2007, 12:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chechnya
what exactly is the point of this article? :?

the sister quite openly admits free-mixing, hanging around with people who drink etc.

if this article is meant to show young muslims how to behave in a non-islamic education environment, its not doing a very good job
actually now that I think about it, I agree with you bro. I does support and promote free-mixing. May Allah forgive me and guide the Muslims. Ameen.

wasalam
-SI-

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-05-2007, 02:31 AM
Its not promoting free mixing. Its telling us the kind of stuff that goes on with Muslims and that we shouldnt fall prey to it.

Massalaama

Chechnya
04-05-2007, 02:51 AM
Salam

its not promoting free-mixing but it seems to be saying that free-mixing is almost inevitable which is why i dont really understand the point of it - at least for muslims

if the sister said that she completeley stayed away from uneccesary free-mixing, then i would understand the message theyre trying to portray for muslim youths - but here the sister quite openly says she went out with boys as well as girls, hung around with people who consumed alcohol and so on

none of that sends out good signals to any muslim reading it

AbuAbdallah
04-05-2007, 03:23 AM
salaam,
This article was horrible. They just talk about how they try to fit in, at the same time keeping their indentity. No dawah was mentioned, no getting the non-practicing to become practicing. I didn't find any advice in this article at all. May Allah guide us all.

Cognescenti
04-05-2007, 03:35 AM
I never even stated anything about Western culture..what u on about? The only thing that bugs me is that some of u r reading it like a fiction story with just some good morals to get out of it. Anything on an Islamic site is dodgy, but anywhere else its okie dokie pokie! I can take humorous criticism, not stupidity :D
Jazzy;

Do you imagine that accusing someone of "stupidity" then following with a smiley face makes everything OK? Where I come from that seems a bit hostile.

From my perspective you are the one making gross generalizations.

For eg.

Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
Clumsy and dodgy cuz yall dont like hearing truth. I dont blame you..

As you were the original poster I can see why you might be a bit defensive, but still....."stupidity"????? That seems a bit over the top.

@ Muezzin...agreed..no harm no foul.

@ the broader Muslim posters;

This question of mixing of the sexes raises a bigger question. How could an observant Muslim possibly hope to feel part of the culture of a western university with this proscription? The classes are coed. The dining halls. It seems an impossible task. Why attend? Doesn't anyone else have a problem with this?

Hashim_507
04-05-2007, 03:36 AM
I am proud to me muslim offcourse.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-05-2007, 04:02 AM
Whatever floats your boat mate :)

siFilam
04-05-2007, 04:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chechnya
Salam
if the sister said that she completeley stayed away from uneccesary free-mixing, then i would understand the message theyre trying to portray for muslim youths - but here the sister quite openly says she went out with boys as well as girls, hung around with people who consumed alcohol and so on
Therefore the articles implicitly promotes free-mixing.

Sister Jazzy your intention for posting this article is good. You want to benefit the Muslims and May Allah reward you for your efforts.

wasalam
-SI-

Philosopher
04-05-2007, 04:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
This is actually a good lesson for all people of faith. While I was in college I saw many self-proclaimed Christians who appeared to be anything but. It is hard for young people today to stay true to their convinctions in the face of peer pressure.
College students are the most tolerant people in my experience.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-05-2007, 05:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by siFilam

Therefore the articles implicitly promotes free-mixing.

Sister Jazzy your intention for posting this article is good. You want to benefit the Muslims and May Allah reward you for your efforts.

wasalam
-SI-
JazakAllah Khair sis...:)

Massalaama

Cognescenti
04-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Whatever floats your boat mate :)

Back at you, "mate". If you don't welcome non-Muslim input then you posted on the wrong forum.

I am genuinely interested in hearing from anyone who can explain to me how a strictly observant Muslim can possibly be expected to fit in at a pluralsitic university. This "mixing" business..does that proscription apply to simply sitting in a lecture hall with members of the opposite sex?

Also...is it like Orthodox Judaism and Reform Judaism? Are there recognized valid different interpretations as to how a practicing Muslim should behave?

Take, for eg., the burka....that is not universal.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-05-2007, 05:50 PM
It depends on scholar to scholar i think....
some would say covering the face isnt required, but how much the women covers herself is her decision. its representative of her hayaa( shyness).

ummAbdillah
04-05-2007, 06:00 PM
salaam
that was a nice article..
can we be nice pleaseeee :)
wa salaam

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 10:25 AM
seems like practically everybody had something gripe about this thread - muslims and non-muslims alike.
now that's unity and brotherhood! ;D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-06-2007, 04:53 PM
^^pfft, what else is new :X

Cognescenti
04-06-2007, 04:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
seems like practically everybody had something gripe about this thread - muslims and non-muslims alike.
now that's unity and brotherhood! ;D
.....:D

Muezzin
04-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Back at you, "mate". If you don't welcome non-Muslim input then you posted on the wrong forum.

I am genuinely interested in hearing from anyone who can explain to me how a strictly observant Muslim can possibly be expected to fit in at a pluralsitic university. This "mixing" business..does that proscription apply to simply sitting in a lecture hall with members of the opposite sex?
Not unless you're intentionally sitting with them and staring at them and flirting with them etc.

Muslims pass members of the opposite sex on the street everyday, but it would be absurd to call that free-mixing.

Also...is it like Orthodox Judaism and Reform Judaism? Are there recognized valid different interpretations as to how a practicing Muslim should behave?

Take, for eg., the burka....that is not universal.
We're not supposed to waste time flirting etc with the other gender. This does not mean we have to be unfriendly, rather that we should not mingle with the opposite gender and should instead seek friends from our own gender, if at all possible. If you are genuinely working with a member of the opposite gender because of, for example, a business transaction or a piece of classwork, this is fine. We're not supposed to be unfriendly, but we're not supposed to be too friendly, if you get my drift.

It's basically a common sense thing. Concentrate on your work, be friendly, but don't start flirting and stuff.

Cognescenti
04-07-2007, 03:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Not unless you're intentionally sitting with them and staring at them and flirting with them etc.

Muslims pass members of the opposite sex on the street everyday, but it would be absurd to call that free-mixing.

We're not supposed to waste time flirting etc with the other gender. This does not mean we have to be unfriendly, rather that we should not mingle with the opposite gender and should instead seek friends from our own gender, if at all possible. If you are genuinely working with a member of the opposite gender because of, for example, a business transaction or a piece of classwork, this is fine. We're not supposed to be unfriendly, but we're not supposed to be too friendly, if you get my drift.

It's basically a common sense thing. Concentrate on your work, be friendly, but don't start flirting and stuff.
Thanks for that. That is helpful. Why, then are there all-female schools in Iraq, for eg., is that just so the math classes can go a little bit slower? :)

- Qatada -
04-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks for that. That is helpful. Why, then are there all-female schools in Iraq, for eg., is that just so the math classes can go a little bit slower? :)

Hey. :)

When theres no need to intermix, then it doesn't need to occur. Think of it this way, when is it that kids start lacking or cutting down in their studies? It's probably around the time they hit puberty, right? Because there hormones get at a high level and they start flirting with the opposite gender.

So in islaam, we look at the lesser of the two evils. And nowhere in islaam does it say that women have less of a right to knowledge, knowledge is a duty upon every single muslim as the Messenger of God peace be upon him himself stated. And even if people contradict that, it doesn't always mean they're in the right.

Regards.

Keltoi
04-07-2007, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
College students are the most tolerant people in my experience.
I guess that would depend on your political ideology. However, "tolerance", while a good exercise in the realms of religion, race, nationality, etc, can be a problem for people of faith when it comes to social behavior. While those in college may be tolerant of dancing naked on spring break, that isn't something a Christian parent would want their daugher to be a part of.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.