/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Iranians release British sailors

mohammed farah
04-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says 15 British naval personnel captured in the Gulf are free to leave.
He repeated Iran's view that the British sailors and marines "invaded" Iranian waters, but said they were being released as a "gift" to Britain.

They are expected to be handed to the British embassy in Tehran on Thursday morning and then fly home.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair said the news would come as "a profound relief" to the crew and their families.

Iranian media said the British crew members "shouted for joy" on hearing the news.

Television pictures showed the Iranian president smiling, chatting and shaking hands with the crew at the presidential palace in Tehran.

He joked to one: "How are you? So you came on a mandatory vacation?"

The Britons were wearing suits, rather than the military uniform and tracksuits they wore in previous pictures. The one female crew member, Faye Turney, wore a blue headscarf and jacket.

An unidentified crew member said: "I'd like to say that myself and my whole team are very grateful for your forgiveness. I'd like to thank yourself and the Iranian people... Thank you very much, sir."

Mr Ahmadinejad responded in Farsi: "You are welcome."

'Theatrical gesture'

Mr Ahmadinejad announced the decision to release the Britons at a news conference In Tehran.

The British government was not even brave enough to tell their people the truth

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Ahmadinejad excerpts
Ending it with a flourish
He spoke at length, attacking the West over its policy in the Middle East, and it was more than an hour before he even mentioned the captives issue.

He repeated allegations that the Britons were captured in Iranian waters, and awarded medals to the Iranian commanders responsible for detaining them.

It was all part of the build up to his extraordinary theatrical gesture, says the BBC's diplomatic correspondent James Robbins.

"We have every right to put these people on trial," Mr Ahmadinejad asserted.

"But I want to give them as a present to the British people to say they are all free."

He said they were being pardoned to mark both the Prophet Muhammad's birthday on 30 March, and the upcoming Easter holiday.

"I'm asking Mr Blair to not put these 15 personnel on trial because they admitted they came to Iranian territorial water," he added, referring to taped "confessions" made by the British sailors and marines.

Britain says the 15 were in Iraqi waters under a UN mandate when they were captured nearly two weeks ago. It says the confessions were extracted under duress.

"Unfortunately the British government was not even brave enough to tell their people the truth, that it made a mistake," Mr Ahmadinejad said.

The Iranian leader said no concessions had been made by the British government to secure the releases, but that Britain had pledged "that the incident would not be repeated".

'We respect Iran'

Prime Minister Tony Blair said Britain's approach to the crisis had been "firm but calm - not negotiating but not confronting either".

He did not thank or address the Iranian president, but said to the Iranian people: "We bear you no ill will. On the contrary, we respect Iran as an ancient civilisation, as a nation with a proud and dignified history.

"The disagreements we have with your government we wish to resolve peacefully through dialogue. I hope - as I've always hoped - that in the future we are able to do so."

The solution to the crisis - freeing the Britons while rewarding the Iranian commanders of the operation - appears to be a face-saving compromise, says the BBC's Frances Harrison in Tehran.

She says speculation is likely to continue over whether it had anything to do with developments in Iraq, where an Iranian envoy has reportedly been given access to five Iranians captured by US forces, and where a kidnapped diplomat was released on Tuesday.

Earlier on Wednesday Syria revealed that it had been mediating between Iran and the UK over the sailors and marines.

The family of one of the captives, Royal Marine Adam Sperry, hailed the announcement as "the best present imaginable".

"Whoever has been in the right or wrong, the whole thing has been a political mess, so let's just get them home," said his uncle, Ray Cooper.

link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/6525905.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
England
04-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Now that we have them back we should punish Iran by military force. We should get our RAF pilots ready. Iran should be shown that they mustn't ever repeat that again..:raging:

MTAFFI
04-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Look at those cheap suits they made them wear.... LOL j/k

England
04-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Iran should be made to pay... Ohhhh if only I was Prime minister for just one day... :enough!:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
04-04-2007, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Iran should be made to pay... Ohhhh if only I was Prime minister for just one day... :enough!:
Then we'd go to war every time you're in a bad mood.

I'm glad you're not Prime Minister. I'm also glad the sailors have been freed without any bloodshed.

Trumble
04-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Now that we have them back we should punish Iran by military force. We should get our RAF pilots ready. Iran should be shown that they mustn't ever repeat that again..:raging:
And what would that achieve, other than killing Iranians who would in turn kill Britons, who would kill more Iranians, etc, etc?

At the end of the day it was a diplomatic incident resolved diplomatically, and probably a good thing the sailors were British and not American; the Brits being rather more restrained. The Iranians have no doubt impressed everyone they wanted to impress, while from the British side they got the UN Security and EU on board to press for the sailors release, and they were released, and resolved the incident without it escalating. The final solution, as it seems, was quite elegant with nobody having to admit that they were wrong or that their "version" was incorrect.

The only problem is what might happen if the Iranians try playing silly games again. Assuming the RN manages to stay awake next time, I suspect the "rules of engagement" might be a little different.

Keltoi
04-04-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what Iran gained from this. Was it just to show the West, through the media, they can be reasonable? I don't know, something tells me we haven't heard the end of this story.

Talha777
04-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Iran should be made to pay... Ohhhh if only I was Prime minister for just one day...
All talk and no substance Mr. England. The fact is your so called Great Britain government really showed itself to be cowardly in this ordeal with Iran, a third world country. There's no question the British have a large military with sophisticated weaponry, but the British people manning those weapons and dawning the uniforms are cowardly and a disgrace, just like all kuffar. In this war, you will need a lot more than sophisticated weapons, you need courage, bravery, and a willingness to lay down your life for the Cause. The pathetic American and British military of this day and age is a complete disgrace to their World War 2 veterans. I mean just over 3 thousand American soldiers have died in Iraq and look how much America is moaning and wailing. George W. Bush said that times of difficulty reveal the character of a nation, and his nation definitely has a chicken character.

England
04-04-2007, 07:18 PM
You know what they got from it? A spread of propoganda.. spread hatred against Britain. More of a terrorism threat. They WILL do it again because they have won. They need to be shown who's boss. They need to be punished. We need to show them that we are no push over. Forget the muslim opinion on it, just go for it.

MTAFFI
04-04-2007, 07:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
All talk and no substance Mr. England. The fact is your so called Great Britain government really showed itself to be cowardly in this ordeal with Iran, a third world country. There's no question the British have a large military with sophisticated weaponry, but the British people manning those weapons and dawning the uniforms are cowardly and a disgrace, just like all kuffar. In this war, you will need a lot more than sophisticated weapons, you need courage, bravery, and a willingness to lay down your life for the Cause. The pathetic American and British military of this day and age is a complete disgrace to their World War 2 veterans. I mean just over 3 thousand American soldiers have died in Iraq and look how much America is moaning and wailing. George W. Bush said that times of difficulty reveal the character of a nation, and his nation definitely has a chicken character.

So what are you saying exactly, other than insulting people?(which is against the rules on this forum) Are you saying that the US is in a time of difficulty, because to me it seems Iraqis are the ones having the difficult time, and how are they responding? By killing each other.. So tell me what does that reveal about them? And since they are fighting a civil war what does it say of Islam in general? Do you think the UK should have responded with force? Says alot of your warmongering character. :raging:

Talha777
04-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Yes Iraq is in a civil war, but it seems Americans are the only ones crying about it, because their heavily armed American girly boys every once in a while get caught in the crossfire, and Americans cannot bear to get their nose a little bloody. This is typical of non-Muslims, they fear death, they know that beyond this temporal life lies an eternal torment in the blazing furnace.

Keltoi
04-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Yes Iraq is in a civil war, but it seems Americans are the only ones crying about it, because their heavily armed American girly boys every once in a while get caught in the crossfire, and Americans cannot bear to get their nose a little bloody. This is typical of non-Muslims, they fear death, they know that beyond this temporal life lies an eternal torment in the blazing furnace.
Let us know when the comic book comes out.

MTAFFI
04-04-2007, 07:31 PM
You dont see me crying about it, and you dont see many others crying about it either, unless they are democrat. I am sorry for every american life lost but that doesnt mean I dont understand what happens in war, it is to be expected. Why dont you take a look at the faces of those whose family dies in the suicide attacks. Do they too look as though they are not scared of death? Take a look at those in Abu Gharib or Gitmo, both places are just a part of this savage war you seem to like, why are they so cowardly? Funny how it only takes a couple months to get everything out of them isnt it? I think it is funny that how you think of the non-muslims, like you are some kind of supreme being, you are exactly what you hate and you will share the same fate. :D

noodles
04-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I honestly think this thread should be closed if people are going to play the blame game.

I dont know why you people are pointing fingers at each other. The problem is solved (Although it may not end the hatred) so it is the end of discussion.

If you feel like pointing fingers at each other and laughing like girls then by all means go ahead and do so. It just shows how immature you are. Keep it civil and dont accuse. If you do want to accuse, do so in a polite manner.

I really feel like naming names but I will refrain from it. Public embarrassment is shameful :P (eventhough it is only a forum)

Talha777
04-04-2007, 07:37 PM
The Muslims in Guantanamo Bay are being regularly tortured by Americans. There are young boys there, but the cowardly Americans have no qualms about torturing them half to death. On the other hand, the Navy personel in Iraq were so cowardly that they openly praise Iran and denounced their own countries. When they are released, it will be revealed however that they were not tortured, and it will also be interesting watching them eat their words nevertheless!

wilberhum
04-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Talha777
If you don't control hate, it will control you.
It seams you have lost the battle.

noodles
04-04-2007, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Talha777
If you don't control hate, it will control you.
It seams you have lost the battle.
That statement goes both ways.:) :rollseyes

Trumble
04-04-2007, 07:45 PM
All talk and no substance Mr. England. The fact is your so called Great Britain government really showed itself to be cowardly in this ordeal with Iran, a third world country. There's no question the British have a large military with sophisticated weaponry, but the British people manning those weapons and dawning the uniforms are cowardly and a disgrace, just like all kuffar.
"So called"? I'm not quite sure what your point is. You say "cowardly", but what exactly would your proposed action have been? Start bombing Iran? So if the Brits had done that you would be here posting how brave they were? Laughable - you would be here posting the usual drivel about attempted genocide and a war against Islam.

In fact, the British Government handled a diplomatic incident with diplomacy, got the troops back and without starting the war you seem so desperate to see. It is called acting responsibly, and if you confuse that with cowardice then you know as little about morality as you do world affairs.

The pathetic American and British military of this day and age is a complete disgrace to their World War 2 veterans. I mean just over 3 thousand American soldiers have died in Iraq and look how much America is moaning and wailing. George W. Bush said that times of difficulty reveal the character of a nation, and his nation definitely has a chicken character.
It's rather ironic you mention the American and British military in WW2. That's exactly what the Germans thought about the British after Munich, and what the Japanese thought about the Americans before Pearl Harbor. They were very, very, wrong. So are you.

Skywalker
04-04-2007, 07:46 PM
England...nobody is impressed with your comments. The Iranian president does something noble that got the whole world cheering (something that neither Bush nor Blair ever managed to do), and all you wanna do is kill him and destroy his country?

If you were the prime minister of the UK, it would certainly be interesting...

Talha777, you might wanna take a breather man. Tone things down, you're not in a gunfight.

Trumble
04-04-2007, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
The Iranian president does something noble that got the whole world cheering
Really? I must have missed it.

wilberhum
04-04-2007, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
That statement goes both ways.:) :rollseyes
And my hate message was posted where? :D

England
04-04-2007, 07:51 PM
England...nobody is impressed with your comments. The Iranian president does something noble that got the whole world cheering (something that neither Bush nor Blair ever managed to do), and all you wanna do is kill him and destroy his country?

If you were the prime minister of the UK, it would certainly be interesting...

Talha777, you might wanna take a breather man. Tone things down, you're not in a gunfight.
The last thing I want to do is bend over backwards and say something just to please muslims. I'm not like that. I'm no way near that. I'm against that.

Yes very nobel of a president that snatched 15 British troops from Iraqi waters, spread their propoganda, spread their hate amongst their people, had our embassy attacked and now that the damage had been done, finds an exit.

He must pay for his actions. Iran should pay..

noodles
04-04-2007, 08:00 PM
By all means go ahead and make them pay. I want to see how many patriots join you in your quest.

The issue has be resolved without any bloodshed, and now that it has been resolved you want to go and bomb them. It really shows your forgiving attitude.

I'm for justice, in this case it hasn't been done, because Iran hasn't learned a lesson. However, justice isn't murdering people because your opposition took hostages. Have some sense before you make comments that makes you look like a war-monger.

MTAFFI
04-04-2007, 08:03 PM

He must pay for his actions. Iran should pay..
Iran is paying, they are only further isolating themselves with this incident. I do not like Iran, their policies or their propaganda and the way they handled this situation is dispicable, but there is no need to go to war with them. They already know what the outcome would be otherwise those soldiers wouldnt be back already. Lets just be happy that Britain proved itself to be the "bigger man" in this case and solved the issue through diplomacy. The more diplomacy the more peace, and the more peace the better off we are as a whole.

ACC
04-04-2007, 08:10 PM
I know we are not suppossed to insult others, but does anyone else get the feeling that Talha is some internet tough guy who talks a big game on the internet?

Anyways, I have yet to have met an American soldier that is afraid to fight, and I have met a lot having lived in Washington DC, home of the Pentagon, and Tampa, CENCOM (?) command center. Many of these soldiers have been to Iraq, etc.

It is the public who freaks out more. I am 100% willing to bet that if you were to poll the Iraqi's, they would be very unhappy about war and all of the death. In fact, I am certain that the majority of Iraqi's that are in the middle of the battle zones are scared for their lives, and they also happen to muslims.

If we are to believe everything that Talha says, then I would have no other choice than to conclude that islam is the religion of death. I am pretty sure that many of the muslims on here were strongly disagree with this.

Skywalker
04-04-2007, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Really? I must have missed it.
You sure did, mate.

About this thread. My suggestion:

:threadclo

Oh and if you want another one:

Give a couple members here a time out to think about how to type properly in a forum. Not mentioning any names. **cough cough England and Talha777 cough cough**

England
04-04-2007, 09:18 PM
You sure did, mate.

About this thread. My suggestion:

Oh and if you want another one:

Give a couple members here a time out to think about how to type properly in a forum. Not mentioning any names. **cough cough England and Talha777 cough cough**
Define "type properly" as I can't find many errors if ANY at all in my typing. :X
By the way I do not "forgive" Iran. They need to be shown they shouldn't mess with the big guys...

Woodrow
04-04-2007, 09:29 PM

If you really can't understand why, feel free to PM me.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.