/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Quran" and "New Testament"

lavikor201
04-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Muslims and Christians, Let me ask you:

Are Jesus or Mohammad every criticized by G-d in your holy books? If so could you provide the verse where G-d criticizes Mohammad in the Quran, or Jesus is criticized in the New Testament.

Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ummAbdillah
04-05-2007, 01:51 PM
salaam
the prophets Jesus and muhamed (peace be upon thee both) are not critized in the Qur'an, the Qur'an honors them both
wa salaam

lavikor201
04-05-2007, 01:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister-aisha
salaam
the prophets Jesus and muhamed (peace be upon thee both) are not critized in the Qur'an, the Qur'an honors them both
wa salaam
So never once they do anything wrong in your holy books? Not once are they to blame for anything?

Malaikah
04-05-2007, 02:02 PM
wa salaam
:sl:

Actually, Muhammad pbuh is told off at least once:
1. (The Prophet (Peace be upon him)) frowned and turned away,
2. Because there came to him the blind man (i.e. 'Abdullâh bin Umm-Maktûm, who came to the Prophet (Peace be upon him) while he was preaching to one or some of the Quraish chiefs).
3. But what could tell you that per chance he might become pure (from sins)?
4. Or that he might receive admonition, and that the admonition might profit him?
5. As for him who thinks himself self-sufficient,
6. To him you attend;
7. What does it matter to you if he will not become pure (from disbelief, you are only a Messenger, your duty is to convey the Message of Allâh).
8. But as to him who came to you running.
9. And is afraid (of Allâh and His Punishment),
10. Of him you are neglectful and divert your attention to another,
11. Nay, (do not do like this), indeed it (these Verses of this Qur'ân) are an admonition,
12. So whoever wills, let him pay attention to it.

Chapter 80.

There is mention of Nuh (Noah) being told off too, because he asked Allah to forgive his son after it had become clear to him that his soon was of the evil people. Though I don't have the reference to that...

format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
So never once they do anything wrong in your holy books? Not once are they to blame for anything?
The Messengers are only human, and like all other humans make mistakes. However, they are better Muslims than all others and their mistakes are smaller and 'random' (as in, they don't continue sin once they realise their error). They are the most God-fearing amongst mankind.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ummAbdillah
04-05-2007, 02:03 PM
2:253 Those apostles We endowed with gifts, some above others: To one of them Allah spoke; others He raised to degrees (of honour); to JESUS the son of Mary We gave clear (Signs), and strengthened him with the holy spirit. If Allah had so willed, succeeding generations would not have fought among each other, after clear (Signs) had come to them, but they (chose) to wrangle, some believing and others rejecting. If Allah had so willed, they would not have fought each other; but Allah Fulfilleth His plan.
Al-Baqara (The Cow)

3:84 Say: "We believe in Allah, and in what has been revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and in (the Books) given to Moses, JESUS, and the prophets, from their Lord: We make no distinction between one and another among them, and to Allah do we bow our will (in Islam)."

this verse is about the prohet muhamed :arabic5:
Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah a beautiful pattern (of conduct) for any one whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day, and who engages much in the Praise of Allah. (33.21) surah AL-AHZAB

lavikor201
04-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Actually, Muhammad pbuh is told off at least once:
Is that verse in the Quran, If so where?

FatimaAsSideqah
04-05-2007, 02:07 PM

As Muslims, we all know that the Holy Prophet was the best of all creation and the most successful of all religious personalities in the history of the world. How can we get an insight into the mind of the Holy Prophet and the qualities that made him a living success for all times? We have to bear in mind that he combined in himself to the highest degree all the virtues of the preceding Prophets. Furthermore, his superiority lies in the fact that he has to face every circumstance of life and every temperament that it is possible to encounter.

:w:

Sister of Islam

ummAbdillah
04-05-2007, 02:08 PM
salaam
thanks for you correction sis, i didn't think of it that way,
by 'criticized' i though that the brother meant like disrespecting the prophets (pbut) or cursing them etc.
wa salaam

lavikor201
04-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Okay, but my question was does the Quran every show Mohamad being critisized by G-d. If so I would really love the verse. Like where G-d says Mohamad was very wrong in a certain area.

Also what would you have to say to this post:

Salaams!

At least everyone is in agreement that the verses 80:1-10 refer to an incident in Mecca when Abdullah bin Umm Maktum, a blind man, came to a gathering where the Prophet was talking to some people among whom were some leaders of Quraysh. When Abdullah bin Umm Maktum came to that gathering, someone frowned and turned away from him.

Question: Who frowned and turned away from the blind man?

The Qur’an does not give the name. The Sunni version of the event say that it was the Prophet of Islam who frowned and most Shi’I sources, following the teachings of the Imams of Ahlu ‘l-Bayt (who obviously knew the Prophet better than others) say that it was one the leaders of the Quraysh who frowned and turned away from the blind man.

Obviously the correct version is that which does not contradict the Qur’an and no one can challenge this method of determining the significance of any event or incident mentioned in the Qur’an including identifying the person or persons involved in a particular event or incident.

You will find that the Qur’an rejects the Sunni version while the Shi’I version does not contradict the Qur’an.

Here are the reasons for the above statement:

1) Allah addresses the Prophet:

Nun, I swear by the pen and what (the angels) write that you are not, by the grace of your Lord, a lunatic; and that surely you shall have a perpetual reward (for your work); and most surely you are on the sublime (level) of morality. (68:1-4)

This testimony of the Prophet’s character was revealed before the verses of surah Abasa. Therefore, how can a person described by Allah as one who is on a sublime level of character or morality, behave in such a manner?

2) In the very early stage of his mission, the Prophet was clearly told how to behave in conveying the message to the people: And warn thy nearest relatives; and be kind to him who follows you of the believers (26:214-215).

Therefore it seems almost improbable that the Prophet who is told by Allah to be kind to the believers would frown when approached by the blind person.

3) Allah addresses the Prophet:

And do not drive away those who call upon their Lord in the morning and the evening, they desire only His favor; neither are you answerable for any reckoning of theirs, nor are they answerable for any reckoning of yours, so that you should drive them away and thus be of the unjust. And thus do We try some of them by others so that they say: Are these they upon whom Allah has conferred benefit from among us? Does not Allah best know the grateful? (6:52-53)

These verses were revealed because the leaders of the Quraysh once told the Prophet not to sit with the oppressed and weak people and if he turned away from them then they would accept him as their leader. From these verses one can deduce that the act of frowning and turning away from the blind man cannot be attributed to the Prophet.

Now those who say that it was the Prophet who frowned have to give us proof from the Qur’an that the Prophet’s character was not of a sublime level and thus it was possible for him to behave in that manner. This is a challenge for those who believe as such!

ummAbdillah
04-05-2007, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by RighteousLady

As Muslims, we all know that the Holy Prophet was the best of all creation and the most successful of all religious personalities in the history of the world. How can we get an insight into the mind of the Holy Prophet and the qualities that made him a living success for all times? We have to bear in mind that he combined in himself to the highest degree all the virtues of the preceding Prophets. Furthermore, his superiority lies in the fact that he has to face every circumstance of life and every temperament that it is possible to encounter.

Sister of Islam
salaam
manshallah sis your so right :)
wa salaam

Malaikah
04-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I posted the verses- all 12 of them. Chapter 80.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-05-2007, 02:14 PM
salaam
manshallah sis your so right :)
wa salaam
:sl: Sister of Islam

Thanks you very much..hugs sister!:statisfie

Sister of Islam

lavikor201
04-05-2007, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
I posted the verses- all 12 of them. Chapter 80.
Please read the post from another forum I posted.

http://www.islamicboard.com/704806-post9.html

YusufNoor
04-05-2007, 02:25 PM

Are Jesus or Mohammad every criticized by G-d in your holy books? If so could you provide the verse where G-d criticizes Mohammad in the Quran, or Jesus is criticized in the New Testament.

Thank you.
A`udhu Billahi mina Shaytanir Rajeem,

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Assalamu alaykum wa'rahma-tullahi, wa'barakatahu,

Greetings of Peace Brother Lavokor,

i'm leaving for work, but a few incidents come to mind from Seerah:

the blind man incident, the captives issue after the battle of Badr and one other that escapes me at the moment(though it deals with "Insha' Allah). perhaps one of our learned brothers could elaborate.[OK, i've remembered it, but i gotta go :-[ ]

you see, the Prophet of Allah(pbuh) was simply a human being[although the best of creation! Allahu Akbar} and therefore it was possible for him(pbuh) to make a mistake. and as some allege, if he wrote the Qur'an, why would these 3 incidents be included?

lavikor201
04-05-2007, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

Assalamu alaykum wa'rahma-tullahi, wa'barakatahu,

Greetings of Peace Brother Lavokor,

i'm leaving for work, but a few incidents come to mind from Seerah:

the blind man incident, the captives issue after the battle of Badr and one other that escapes me at the moment(though it deals with "Insha' Allah). perhaps one of our learned brothers could elaborate.[OK, i've remembered it, but i gotta go :-[ ]

you see, the Prophet of Allah(pbuh) was simply a human being[although the best of creation! Allahu Akbar} and therefore it was possible for him(pbuh) to make a mistake. and as some allege, if he wrote the Qur'an, why would these 3 incidents be included?

I would still like see the verses of which G-d specifically tells Mohammad that he is very wrong on somethings, or that he has done something wrong. The verse given to me before seems disputed.

جوري
04-05-2007, 02:33 PM
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
عَبَسَ وَتَوَلَّى {1}
[Pickthal 80:1] He frowned and turned away

أَن جَاءهُ الْأَعْمَى {2}
[Pickthal 80:2] Because the blind man came unto him.

وَمَا يُدْرِيكَ لَعَلَّهُ يَزَّكَّى {3}
[Pickthal 80:3] What could inform thee but that he might grow (in grace)

أَوْ يَذَّكَّرُ فَتَنفَعَهُ الذِّكْرَى {4}
[Pickthal 80:4] Or take heed and so the reminder might avail him?

أَمَّا مَنِ اسْتَغْنَى {5}
[Pickthal 80:5] As for him who thinketh himself independent,

فَأَنتَ لَهُ تَصَدَّى {6}
[Pickthal 80:6] Unto him thou payest regard.

وَمَا عَلَيْكَ أَلَّا يَزَّكَّى {7}
[Pickthal 80:7] Yet it is not thy concern if he grow not (in grace).

وَأَمَّا مَن جَاءكَ يَسْعَى {8}
[Pickthal 80:8] But as for him who cometh unto thee with earnest purpose

وَهُوَ يَخْشَى {9}
[Pickthal 80:9] And hath fear,

فَأَنتَ عَنْهُ تَلَهَّى {10}
[Pickthal 80:10] From him thou art distracted.

كَلَّا إِنَّهَا تَذْكِرَةٌ {11}
[Pickthal 80:11] Nay, but verily it is an Admonishment,

فَمَن شَاء ذَكَرَهُ {12}
[Pickthal 80:12] So let whosoever will pay heed to it,

فِي صُحُفٍ مُّكَرَّمَةٍ {13}
[Pickthal 80:13] On honoured leaves

مَّرْفُوعَةٍ مُّطَهَّرَةٍ {14}
[Pickthal 80:14] Exalted, purified,

بِأَيْدِي سَفَرَةٍ {15}
[Pickthal 80:15] (Set down) by scribes

كِرَامٍ بَرَرَةٍ {16}
[Pickthal 80:16] Noble and righteous.

قُتِلَ الْإِنسَانُ مَا أَكْفَرَهُ {17}
[Pickthal 80:17] Man is (self-)destroyed: how ungrateful!

مِنْ أَيِّ شَيْءٍ خَلَقَهُ {18}
[Pickthal 80:18] From what thing doth He create him?

مِن نُّطْفَةٍ خَلَقَهُ فَقَدَّرَهُ {19}
[Pickthal 80:19] From a drop of seed. He createth him and proportioneth him,

ثُمَّ السَّبِيلَ يَسَّرَهُ {20}
[Pickthal 80:20] Then maketh the way easy for him,

ثُمَّ أَمَاتَهُ فَأَقْبَرَهُ {21}
[Pickthal 80:21] Then causeth him to die, and burieth him;

ثُمَّ إِذَا شَاء أَنشَرَهُ {22}
[Pickthal 80:22] Then, when He will, He bringeth him again to life.

كَلَّا لَمَّا يَقْضِ مَا أَمَرَهُ {23}
[Pickthal 80:23] Nay, but (man) hath not done what He commanded him.

فَلْيَنظُرِ الْإِنسَانُ إِلَى طَعَامِهِ {24}
[Pickthal 80:24] Let man consider his food:

أَنَّا صَبَبْنَا الْمَاء صَبًّا {25}
[Pickthal 80:25] How We pour water in showers

ثُمَّ شَقَقْنَا الْأَرْضَ شَقًّا {26}
[Pickthal 80:26] Then split the earth in clefts

فَأَنبَتْنَا فِيهَا حَبًّا {27}
[Pickthal 80:27] And cause the grain to grow therein

وَعِنَبًا وَقَضْبًا {28}
[Pickthal 80:28] And grapes and green fodder

وَزَيْتُونًا وَنَخْلًا {29}
[Pickthal 80:29] And olive-trees and palm-trees

وَحَدَائِقَ غُلْبًا {30}
[Pickthal 80:30] And garden-closes of thick foliage

وَفَاكِهَةً وَأَبًّا {31}
[Pickthal 80:31] And fruits and grasses:

مَّتَاعًا لَّكُمْ وَلِأَنْعَامِكُمْ {32}
[Pickthal 80:32] Provision for you and your cattle.

فَإِذَا جَاءتِ الصَّاخَّةُ {33}
[Pickthal 80:33] But when the Shout cometh

يَوْمَ يَفِرُّ الْمَرْءُ مِنْ أَخِيهِ {34}
[Pickthal 80:34] On the day when a man fleeth from his brother

وَأُمِّهِ وَأَبِيهِ {35}
[Pickthal 80:35] And his mother and his father

وَصَاحِبَتِهِ وَبَنِيهِ {36}
[Pickthal 80:36] And his wife and his children,

لِكُلِّ امْرِئٍ مِّنْهُمْ يَوْمَئِذٍ شَأْنٌ يُغْنِيهِ {37}
[Pickthal 80:37] Every man that day will have concern enough to make him heedless (of others).

وُجُوهٌ يَوْمَئِذٍ مُّسْفِرَةٌ {38}
[Pickthal 80:38] On that day faces will be bright as dawn,

ضَاحِكَةٌ مُّسْتَبْشِرَةٌ {39}
[Pickthal 80:39] Laughing, rejoicing at good news;

وَوُجُوهٌ يَوْمَئِذٍ عَلَيْهَا غَبَرَةٌ {40}
[Pickthal 80:40] And other faces, on that day, with dust upon them,

تَرْهَقُهَا قَتَرَةٌ {41}
[Pickthal 80:41] Veiled in darkness,

أُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الْكَفَرَةُ الْفَجَرَةُ {42}
[Pickthal 80:42] Those are the disbelievers, the wicked.

Another one that comes to mind is suret Al-Kahf.. though it isn't obvious unless you know the story.. which was-- a Jew had asked Prophet Mohammed PBUH about something and Prophet Mohammed told him he'd give him the answer right away but didn't say (insh'Allah) as in If G-D wills it-- and so the sura and the answer to the Jew was revealed to himMuch later... and in the story is a reminder not to say anything unless G-D wills it.... I believe also in that is the Answer of how Gog and Magog will make their way out of their confinement at the end of times...

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَنزَلَ عَلَى عَبْدِهِ الْكِتَابَ وَلَمْ يَجْعَل لَّهُ عِوَجَا {1}
[Pickthal 18:1] Praise be to Allah Who hath revealed the Scripture unto His slave, and hath not placed therein any crookedness,

قَيِّمًا لِّيُنذِرَ بَأْسًا شَدِيدًا مِن لَّدُنْهُ وَيُبَشِّرَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ الَّذِينَ يَعْمَلُونَ الصَّالِحَاتِ أَنَّ لَهُمْ أَجْرًا حَسَنًا {2}
[Pickthal 18:2] (But hath made it) straight, to give warning of stern punishment from Him, and to bring unto the believers who do good works the news that theirs will be a fair reward,

مَاكِثِينَ فِيهِ أَبَدًا {3}
[Pickthal 18:3] Wherein they will abide for ever;

وَيُنذِرَ الَّذِينَ قَالُوا اتَّخَذَ اللَّهُ وَلَدًا {4}
[Pickthal 18:4] And to warn those who say: Allah hath chosen a son,

مَّا لَهُم بِهِ مِنْ عِلْمٍ وَلَا لِآبَائِهِمْ كَبُرَتْ كَلِمَةً تَخْرُجُ مِنْ أَفْوَاهِهِمْ إِن يَقُولُونَ إِلَّا كَذِبًا {5}
[Pickthal 18:5] (A thing) whereof they have no knowledge, nor (had) their fathers, Dreadful is the word that cometh out of their mouths. They speak naught but a lie.

فَلَعَلَّكَ بَاخِعٌ نَّفْسَكَ عَلَى آثَارِهِمْ إِن لَّمْ يُؤْمِنُوا بِهَذَا الْحَدِيثِ أَسَفًا {6}
[Pickthal 18:6] Yet it may be, if they believe not in this statement, that thou (Muhammad) wilt torment thy soul with grief over their footsteps.

إِنَّا جَعَلْنَا مَا عَلَى الْأَرْضِ زِينَةً لَّهَا لِنَبْلُوَهُمْ أَيُّهُمْ أَحْسَنُ عَمَلًا {7}
[Pickthal 18:7] Lo! We have placed all that is on the earth as an ornament thereof that We may try them: which of them is best in conduct.

وَإِنَّا لَجَاعِلُونَ مَا عَلَيْهَا صَعِيدًا جُرُزًا {8}
[Pickthal 18:8] And lo! We shall make all that is thereon a barren mound.

أَمْ حَسِبْتَ أَنَّ أَصْحَابَ الْكَهْفِ وَالرَّقِيمِ كَانُوا مِنْ آيَاتِنَا عَجَبًا {9}
[Pickthal 18:9] Or deemest thou that the People of the Cave and the Inscription are a wonder among Our portents?

إِذْ أَوَى الْفِتْيَةُ إِلَى الْكَهْفِ فَقَالُوا رَبَّنَا آتِنَا مِن لَّدُنكَ رَحْمَةً وَهَيِّئْ لَنَا مِنْ أَمْرِنَا رَشَدًا {10}
[Pickthal 18:10] When the young men fled for refuge to the Cave and said: Our Lord! Give us mercy from Thy presence, and shape for us right conduct in our plight.

فَضَرَبْنَا عَلَى آذَانِهِمْ فِي الْكَهْفِ سِنِينَ عَدَدًا {11}
[Pickthal 18:11] Then We sealed up their hearing in the Cave for a number of years.

ثُمَّ بَعَثْنَاهُمْ لِنَعْلَمَ أَيُّ الْحِزْبَيْنِ أَحْصَى لِمَا لَبِثُوا أَمَدًا {12}
[Pickthal 18:12] And afterward We raised them up that We might know which of the two parties would best calculate the time that they had tarried.

نَحْنُ نَقُصُّ عَلَيْكَ نَبَأَهُم بِالْحَقِّ إِنَّهُمْ فِتْيَةٌ آمَنُوا بِرَبِّهِمْ وَزِدْنَاهُمْ هُدًى {13}
[Pickthal 18:13] We narrate unto thee their story with truth. Lo! they were young men who believed in their Lord, and We increased them in guidance.

وَرَبَطْنَا عَلَى قُلُوبِهِمْ إِذْ قَامُوا فَقَالُوا رَبُّنَا رَبُّ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ لَن نَّدْعُوَ مِن دُونِهِ إِلَهًا لَقَدْ قُلْنَا إِذًا شَطَطًا {14}
[Pickthal 18:14] And We made firm their hearts when they stood forth and said: Our Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the earth. We cry unto no Allah beside Him, for then should we utter an enormity.

هَؤُلَاء قَوْمُنَا اتَّخَذُوا مِن دُونِهِ آلِهَةً لَّوْلَا يَأْتُونَ عَلَيْهِم بِسُلْطَانٍ بَيِّنٍ فَمَنْ أَظْلَمُ مِمَّنِ افْتَرَى عَلَى اللَّهِ كَذِبًا {15}
[Pickthal 18:15] These, our people, have chosen (other) gods beside Him though they bring no clear warrant (vouchsafed) to them. And who doth greater wrong than he who inventeth a lie concerning Allah?

وَإِذِ اعْتَزَلْتُمُوهُمْ وَمَا يَعْبُدُونَ إِلَّا اللَّهَ فَأْوُوا إِلَى الْكَهْفِ يَنشُرْ لَكُمْ رَبُّكُم مِّن رَّحمته ويُهَيِّئْ لَكُم مِّنْ أَمْرِكُم مِّرْفَقًا {16}
[Pickthal 18:16] And when ye withdraw from them and that which they worship except Allah, then seek refuge in the Cave; your Lord will spread for you of His mercy and will prepare for you a pillow in your plight.

وَتَرَى الشَّمْسَ إِذَا طَلَعَت تَّزَاوَرُ عَن كَهْفِهِمْ ذَاتَ الْيَمِينِ وَإِذَا غَرَبَت تَّقْرِضُهُمْ ذَاتَ الشِّمَالِ وَهُمْ فِي فَجْوَةٍ مِّنْهُ ذَلِكَ مِنْ آيَاتِ اللَّهِ مَن يَهْدِ اللَّهُ فَهُوَ الْمُهْتَدِ وَمَن يُضْلِلْ فَلَن تَجِدَ لَهُ وَلِيًّا مُّرْشِدًا {17}
[Pickthal 18:17] And thou mightest have seen the sun when it rose move away from their cave to the right, and when it set go past them on the left, and they were in the cleft thereof. That was (one) of the portents of Allah. He whom Allah guideth, he indeed is led aright, and he whom He sendeth astray, for him thou wilt not find a guiding friend.

وَتَحْسَبُهُمْ أَيْقَاظًا وَهُمْ رُقُودٌ وَنُقَلِّبُهُمْ ذَاتَ الْيَمِينِ وَذَاتَ الشِّمَالِ وَكَلْبُهُم بَاسِطٌ ذِرَاعَيْهِ بِالْوَصِيدِ لَوِ اطَّلَعْتَ عَلَيْهِمْ لَوَلَّيْتَ مِنْهُمْ فِرَارًا وَلَمُلِئْتَ مِنْهُمْ رُعْبًا {18}
[Pickthal 18:18] And thou wouldst have deemed them waking though they were asleep, and We caused them to turn over to the right and the left, and their dog stretching out his paws on the threshold. If thou hadst observed them closely thou hadst assuredly turned away from them in flight, and hadst been filled with awe of them.

وَكَذَلِكَ بَعَثْنَاهُمْ لِيَتَسَاءلُوا بَيْنَهُمْ قَالَ قَائِلٌ مِّنْهُمْ كَمْ لَبِثْتُمْ قَالُوا لَبِثْنَا يَوْمًا أَوْ بَعْضَ يَوْمٍ قَالُوا رَبُّكُمْ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا لَبِثْتُمْ فَابْعَثُوا أَحَدَكُم بِوَرِقِكُمْ هَذِهِ إِلَى الْمَدِينَةِ فَلْيَنظُرْ أَيُّهَا أَزْكَى طَعَامًا فَلْيَأْتِكُم بِرِزْقٍ مِّنْهُ وَلْيَتَلَطَّفْ وَلَا يُشْعِرَنَّ بِكُمْ أَحَدًا {19}
[Pickthal 18:19] And in like manner We awakened them that they might question one another. A speaker from among them said: How long have ye tarried? They said: We have tarried a day or some part of a day, (Others) said: Your Lord best knoweth what ye have tarried. Now send one of you with this your silver coin unto the city, and let him see what food is purest there and bring you a supply thereof. Let him be courteous and let no man know of you.

إِنَّهُمْ إِن يَظْهَرُوا عَلَيْكُمْ يَرْجُمُوكُمْ أَوْ يُعِيدُوكُمْ فِي مِلَّتِهِمْ وَلَن تُفْلِحُوا إِذًا أَبَدًا {20}
[Pickthal 18:20] For they, if they should come to know of you, will stone you or turn you back to their religion; then ye will never prosper.

وَكَذَلِكَ أَعْثَرْنَا عَلَيْهِمْ لِيَعْلَمُوا أَنَّ وَعْدَ اللَّهِ حَقٌّ وَأَنَّ السَّاعَةَ لَا رَيْبَ فِيهَا إِذْ يَتَنَازَعُونَ بَيْنَهُمْ أَمْرَهُمْ فَقَالُوا ابْنُوا عَلَيْهِم بُنْيَانًا رَّبُّهُمْ أَعْلَمُ بِهِمْ قَالَ الَّذِينَ غَلَبُوا عَلَى أَمْرِهِمْ لَنَتَّخِذَنَّ عَلَيْهِم مَّسْجِدًا {21}
[Pickthal 18:21] And in like manner We disclosed them (to the people of the city) that they might know that the promise of Allah is true, and that, as for the Hour, there is no doubt concerning it. When (the people of the city) disputed of their case among themselves, they said: Build over them a building; their Lord knoweth best concerning them. Those who won their point said: We verily shall build a place of worship over them.

سَيَقُولُونَ ثَلَاثَةٌ رَّابِعُهُمْ كَلْبُهُمْ وَيَقُولُونَ خَمْسَةٌ سَادِسُهُمْ كَلْبُهُمْ رَجْمًا بِالْغَيْبِ وَيَقُولُونَ سَبْعَةٌ وَثَامِنُهُمْ كَلْبُهُمْ قُل رَّبِّي أَعْلَمُ بِعِدَّتِهِم مَّا يَعْلَمُهُمْ إِلَّا قَلِيلٌ فَلَا تُمَارِ فِيهِمْ إِلَّا مِرَاء ظَاهِرًا وَلَا تَسْتَفْتِ فِيهِم مِّنْهُمْ أَحَدًا {22}
[Pickthal 18:22] (Some) will say: They were three, their dog the fourth, and (some) say: Five, their dog the sixth, guessing at random; and (some) say: Seven, and their dog the eighth. Say (O Muhammad): My Lord is Best Aware of their number. None knoweth them save a few. So contend not concerning them except with an outward contending, and ask not any of them to pronounce concerning them.

وَلَا تَقُولَنَّ لِشَيْءٍ إِنِّي فَاعِلٌ ذَلِكَ غَدًا {23}
[Pickthal 18:23] And say not of anything: Lo! I shall do that tomorrow,

إِلَّا أَن يَشَاء اللَّهُ وَاذْكُر رَّبَّكَ إِذَا نَسِيتَ وَقُلْ عَسَى أَن يَهْدِيَنِ رَبِّي لِأَقْرَبَ مِنْ هَذَا رَشَدًا {24}
[Pickthal 18:24] Except if Allah will. And remember thy Lord when thou forgettest, and say: It may be that my Lord guideth me unto a nearer way of truth than this.

وَلَبِثُوا فِي كَهْفِهِمْ ثَلَاثَ مِئَةٍ سِنِينَ وَازْدَادُوا تِسْعًا {25}
[Pickthal 18:25] And (it is said) they tarried in their Cave three hundred years and add nine.

قُلِ اللَّهُ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا لَبِثُوا لَهُ غَيْبُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ أَبْصِرْ بِهِ وَأَسْمِعْ مَا لَهُم مِّن دُونِهِ مِن وَلِيٍّ وَلَا يُشْرِكُ فِي حُكْمِهِ أَحَدًا {26}
[Pickthal 18:26] Say: Allah is Best Aware how long they tarried. His is the Invisible of the heavens and the earth. How clear of sight is He and keen of hearing! They have no protecting friend beside Him, and He maketh none to share in His government.

وَاتْلُ مَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيْكَ مِن كِتَابِ رَبِّكَ لَا مُبَدِّلَ لِكَلِمَاتِهِ وَلَن تَجِدَ مِن دُونِهِ مُلْتَحَدًا {27}
[Pickthal 18:27] And recite that which hath been revealed unto thee of the Scripture of thy Lord. There is none who can change His words, and thou wilt find no refuge beside Him.

وَاصْبِرْ نَفْسَكَ مَعَ الَّذِينَ يَدْعُونَ رَبَّهُم بِالْغَدَاةِ وَالْعَشِيِّ يُرِيدُونَ وَجْهَهُ وَلَا تَعْدُ عَيْنَاكَ عَنْهُمْ تُرِيدُ زِينَةَ الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَلَا تُطِعْ مَنْ أَغْفَلْنَا قَلْبَهُ عَن ذِكْرِنَا وَاتَّبَعَ هَوَاهُ وَكَانَ أَمْرُهُ فُرُطًا {28}
[Pickthal 18:28] Restrain thyself along with those who cry unto their Lord at morn and evening, seeking His Countenance; and let not thine eyes overlook them, desiring the pomp of the life of the world; and obey not him whose heart We have made heedless of Our remembrance, who followeth his own lust and whose case hath been abandoned.

وَقُلِ الْحَقُّ مِن رَّبِّكُمْ فَمَن شَاء فَلْيُؤْمِن وَمَن شَاء فَلْيَكْفُرْ إِنَّا أَعْتَدْنَا لِلظَّالِمِينَ نَارًا أَحَاطَ بِهِمْ سُرَادِقُهَا وَإِن يَسْتَغِيثُوا يُغَاثُوا بِمَاء كَالْمُهْلِ يَشْوِي الْوُجُوهَ بِئْسَ الشَّرَابُ وَسَاءتْ مُرْتَفَقًا {29}
[Pickthal 18:29] Say: (It is) the truth from the Lord of you (all). Then whosoever will, let him believe, and whosoever will, let him disbelieve. Lo! We have prepared for disbelievers Fire. Its tent encloseth them. If they ask for showers, they will be showered with water like to molten lead which burneth the faces. Calamitous the drink and ill the resting-place!

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ إِنَّا لَا نُضِيعُ أَجْرَ مَنْ أَحْسَنَ عَمَلًا {30}
[Pickthal 18:30] Lo! as for those who believe and do good works - Lo! We suffer not the reward of one whose work is goodly to be lost.

أُوْلَئِكَ لَهُمْ جَنَّاتُ عَدْنٍ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهِمُ الْأَنْهَارُ يُحَلَّوْنَ فِيهَا مِنْ أَسَاوِرَ مِن ذَهَبٍ وَيَلْبَسُونَ ثِيَابًا خُضْرًا مِّن سُندُسٍ وَإِسْتَبْرَقٍ مُّتَّكِئِينَ فِيهَا عَلَى الْأَرَائِكِ نِعْمَ الثَّوَابُ وَحَسُنَتْ مُرْتَفَقًا {31}
[Pickthal 18:31] As for such, theirs will be Gardens of Eden, wherein rivers flow beneath them; therein they will be given armlets of gold and will wear green robes of finest silk and gold embroidery, reclining upon throne therein. Blest the reward, and fair the resting-place!

وَاضْرِبْ لَهُم مَّثَلًا رَّجُلَيْنِ جَعَلْنَا لِأَحَدِهِمَا جَنَّتَيْنِ مِنْ أَعْنَابٍ وَحَفَفْنَاهُمَا بِنَخْلٍ وَجَعَلْنَا بَيْنَهُمَا زَرْعًا {32}
[Pickthal 18:32] Coin for them a similitude: Two men, unto one of whom We had assigned two gardens of grapes, and We had surrounded both with date-palms and had put between them tillage.

كِلْتَا الْجَنَّتَيْنِ آتَتْ أُكُلَهَا وَلَمْ تَظْلِمْ مِنْهُ شَيْئًا وَفَجَّرْنَا خِلَالَهُمَا نَهَرًا {33}
[Pickthal 18:33] Each of the gardens gave its fruit and withheld naught thereof. And We caused a river to gush forth therein.

وَكَانَ لَهُ ثَمَرٌ فَقَالَ لِصَاحِبِهِ وَهُوَ يُحَاوِرُهُ أَنَا أَكْثَرُ مِنكَ مَالًا وَأَعَزُّ نَفَرًا {34}
[Pickthal 18:34] And he had fruit. And he said unto his comrade, when he spake with him: I am more than thee in wealth, and stronger in respect of men.

وَدَخَلَ جَنَّتَهُ وَهُوَ ظَالِمٌ لِّنَفْسِهِ قَالَ مَا أَظُنُّ أَن تَبِيدَ هَذِهِ أَبَدًا {35}
[Pickthal 18:35] And he went into his garden, while he (thus) wronged himself. He said: I think not that all this will ever perish.

وَمَا أَظُنُّ السَّاعَةَ قَائِمَةً وَلَئِن رُّدِدتُّ إِلَى رَبِّي لَأَجِدَنَّ خَيْرًا مِّنْهَا مُنقَلَبًا {36}
[Pickthal 18:36] I think not that the Hour will ever come, and if indeed I am brought back unto my Lord I surely shall find better than this as a resort.

قَالَ لَهُ صَاحِبُهُ وَهُوَ يُحَاوِرُهُ أَكَفَرْتَ بِالَّذِي خَلَقَكَ مِن تُرَابٍ ثُمَّ مِن نُّطْفَةٍ ثُمَّ سَوَّاكَ رَجُلًا {37}
[Pickthal 18:37] His comrade, when he (thus) spake with him, exclaimed: Disbelievest thou in Him Who created thee of dust, then of a drop (of seed), and then fashioned thee a man?

لَّكِنَّا هُوَ اللَّهُ رَبِّي وَلَا أُشْرِكُ بِرَبِّي أَحَدًا {38}
[Pickthal 18:38] But He is Allah, my Lord, and I ascribe unto my Lord no partner.

وَلَوْلَا إِذْ دَخَلْتَ جَنَّتَكَ قُلْتَ مَا شَاء اللَّهُ لَا قُوَّةَ إِلَّا بِاللَّهِ إِن تُرَنِ أَنَا أَقَلَّ مِنكَ مَالًا وَوَلَدًا {39}
[Pickthal 18:39] If only, when thou enteredst thy garden, thou hadst said: That which Allah willeth (will come to pass)! There is no strength save in Allah! Though thou seest me as less than thee in wealth and children,

فَعَسَى رَبِّي أَن يُؤْتِيَنِ خَيْرًا مِّن جَنَّتِكَ وَيُرْسِلَ عَلَيْهَا حُسْبَانًا مِّنَ السَّمَاء فَتُصْبِحَ صَعِيدًا زَلَقًا {40}
[Pickthal 18:40] Yet it may be that my Lord will give me better than thy garden, and will send on it a bolt from heaven, and some morning it will be a smooth hillside,

أَوْ يُصْبِحَ مَاؤُهَا غَوْرًا فَلَن تَسْتَطِيعَ لَهُ طَلَبًا {41}
[Pickthal 18:41] Or some morning the water thereof will be lost in the earth so that thou canst not make search for it.

وَأُحِيطَ بِثَمَرِهِ فَأَصْبَحَ يُقَلِّبُ كَفَّيْهِ عَلَى مَا أَنفَقَ فِيهَا وَهِيَ خَاوِيَةٌ عَلَى عُرُوشِهَا وَيَقُولُ يَا لَيْتَنِي لَمْ أُشْرِكْ بِرَبِّي أَحَدًا {42}
[Pickthal 18:42] And his fruit was beset (with destruction). Then began he to wring his hands for all that he had spent upon it, when (now) it was all ruined on its trellises, and to say: Would that I had ascribed no partner to my Lord!

وَلَمْ تَكُن لَّهُ فِئَةٌ يَنصُرُونَهُ مِن دُونِ اللَّهِ وَمَا كَانَ مُنتَصِرًا {43}
[Pickthal 18:43] And he had no troop of men to help him as against Allah, nor could he save himself.

هُنَالِكَ الْوَلَايَةُ لِلَّهِ الْحَقِّ هُوَ خَيْرٌ ثَوَابًا وَخَيْرٌ عُقْبًا {44}
[Pickthal 18:44] In this case is protection only from Allah, the True, He is Best for reward, and best for consequence.

وَاضْرِبْ لَهُم مَّثَلَ الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا كَمَاء أَنزَلْنَاهُ مِنَ السَّمَاء فَاخْتَلَطَ بِهِ نَبَاتُ الْأَرْضِ فَأَصْبَحَ هَشِيمًا تَذْرُوهُ الرِّيَاحُ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ مُّقْتَدِرًا {45}
[Pickthal 18:45] And coin for them the similitude of the life of the world as water which We send down from the sky, and the vegetation of the earth mingleth with it and then becometh dry twigs that the winds scatter. Allah is able to do all things.

الْمَالُ وَالْبَنُونَ زِينَةُ الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَالْبَاقِيَاتُ الصَّالِحَاتُ خَيْرٌ عِندَ رَبِّكَ ثَوَابًا وَخَيْرٌ أَمَلًا {46}
[Pickthal 18:46] Wealth and children are an ornament of the life of the world. But the good deeds which endure are better in thy Lord's sight for reward, and better in respect of hope.

وَيَوْمَ نُسَيِّرُ الْجِبَالَ وَتَرَى الْأَرْضَ بَارِزَةً وَحَشَرْنَاهُمْ فَلَمْ نُغَادِرْ مِنْهُمْ أَحَدًا {47}
[Pickthal 18:47] And (bethink you of) the Day when we remove the hills and ye see the earth emerging, and We gather them together so as to leave not one of them behind.

وَعُرِضُوا عَلَى رَبِّكَ صَفًّا لَّقَدْ جِئْتُمُونَا كَمَا خَلَقْنَاكُمْ أَوَّلَ مَرَّةٍ بَلْ زَعَمْتُمْ أَلَّن نَّجْعَلَ لَكُم مَّوْعِدًا {48}
[Pickthal 18:48] And they are set before thy Lord in ranks (and it is said unto them): Now verily have ye come unto Us as We created you at the first. But ye thought that We had set no tryst for you.

وَوُضِعَ الْكِتَابُ فَتَرَى الْمُجْرِمِينَ مُشْفِقِينَ مِمَّا فِيهِ وَيَقُولُونَ يَا وَيْلَتَنَا مَالِ هَذَا الْكِتَابِ لَا يُغَادِرُ صَغِيرَةً وَلَا كَبِيرَةً إِلَّا أَحْصَاهَا وَوَجَدُوا مَا عَمِلُوا حَاضِرًا وَلَا يَظْلِمُ رَبُّكَ أَحَدًا {49}
[Pickthal 18:49] And the Book is placed, and thou seest the guilty fearful of that which is therein, and they say: What kind of a Book is this that leaveth not a small thing nor a great thing but hath counted it! And they find all that they did confronting them, and thy Lord wrongeth no-one.

وَإِذْ قُلْنَا لِلْمَلَائِكَةِ اسْجُدُوا لِآدَمَ فَسَجَدُوا إِلَّا إِبْلِيسَ كَانَ مِنَ الْجِنِّ فَفَسَقَ عَنْ أَمْرِ رَبِّهِ أَفَتَتَّخِذُونَهُ وَذُرِّيَّتَهُ أَوْلِيَاء مِن دُونِي وَهُمْ لَكُمْ عَدُوٌّ بِئْسَ لِلظَّالِمِينَ بَدَلًا {50}
[Pickthal 18:50] And (remember) when We said unto the angels: Fall prostrate before Adam, and they fell prostrate, all save Iblis. He was of the jinn, so he rebelled against his Lord's command. Will ye choose him and his seed for your protecting friends instead of Me, when they are an enemy unto you? Calamitous is the exchange for evil-doers.

مَا أَشْهَدتُّهُمْ خَلْقَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَلَا خَلْقَ أَنفُسِهِمْ وَمَا كُنتُ مُتَّخِذَ الْمُضِلِّينَ عَضُدًا {51}
[Pickthal 18:51] I made them not to witness the creation of the heavens and the earth, nor their own creation; nor choose I misleaders for (My) helpers.

وَيَوْمَ يَقُولُ نَادُوا شُرَكَائِيَ الَّذِينَ زَعَمْتُمْ فَدَعَوْهُمْ فَلَمْ يَسْتَجِيبُوا لَهُمْ وَجَعَلْنَا بَيْنَهُم مَّوْبِقًا {52}
[Pickthal 18:52] And (be mindful of) the Day when He will say: Call those partners of Mine whom ye pretended. Then they will cry unto them, but they will not hear their prayer, and We shall set a gulf of doom between them.

وَرَأَى الْمُجْرِمُونَ النَّارَ فَظَنُّوا أَنَّهُم مُّوَاقِعُوهَا وَلَمْ يَجِدُوا عَنْهَا مَصْرِفًا {53}
[Pickthal 18:53] And the guilty behold the Fire and know that they are about to fall therein, and they find no way of escape thence.

وَلَقَدْ صَرَّفْنَا فِي هَذَا الْقُرْآنِ لِلنَّاسِ مِن كُلِّ مَثَلٍ وَكَانَ الْإِنسَانُ أَكْثَرَ شَيْءٍ جَدَلًا {54}
[Pickthal 18:54] And verily We have displayed for mankind in this Qur'an all manner of similitudes, but man is more than anything contentious.

وَمَا مَنَعَ النَّاسَ أَن يُؤْمِنُوا إِذْ جَاءهُمُ الْهُدَى وَيَسْتَغْفِرُوا رَبَّهُمْ إِلَّا أَن تَأْتِيَهُمْ سُنَّةُ الْأَوَّلِينَ أَوْ يَأْتِيَهُمُ الْعَذَابُ قُبُلًا {55}
[Pickthal 18:55] And naught hindereth mankind from believing when the guidance cometh unto them, and from asking forgiveness of their Lord unless (it be that they wish) that the judgment of the men of old should come upon them or (that) they should be confronted with the Doom.

وَمَا نُرْسِلُ الْمُرْسَلِينَ إِلَّا مُبَشِّرِينَ وَمُنذِرِينَ وَيُجَادِلُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا بِالْبَاطِلِ لِيُدْحِضُوا بِهِ الْحَقَّ وَاتَّخَذُوا آيَاتِي وَمَا أُنذِرُوا هُزُوًا {56}
[Pickthal 18:56] We send not the messengers save as bearers of good news and warners. Those who disbelieve contend with falsehood in order to refute the Truth thereby. And they take Our revelations and that wherewith they are threatened as a jest.

وَمَنْ أَظْلَمُ مِمَّن ذُكِّرَ بِآيَاتِ رَبِّهِ فَأَعْرَضَ عَنْهَا وَنَسِيَ مَا قَدَّمَتْ يَدَاهُ إِنَّا جَعَلْنَا عَلَى قُلُوبِهِمْ أَكِنَّةً أَن يَفْقَهُوهُ وَفِي آذَانِهِمْ وَقْرًا وَإِن تَدْعُهُمْ إِلَى الْهُدَى فَلَن يَهْتَدُوا إِذًا أَبَدًا {57}
[Pickthal 18:57] And who doth greater wrong than he who hath been reminded of the revelations of his Lord, yet turneth away from them and forgetteth what his hands send forward (to the Judgment)? Lo! on their hearts We have placed coverings so that they understand not, and in their ears a deafness. And though thou call them to the guidance, in that case they can never be led aright.

وَرَبُّكَ الْغَفُورُ ذُو الرَّحْمَةِ لَوْ يُؤَاخِذُهُم بِمَا كَسَبُوا لَعَجَّلَ لَهُمُ الْعَذَابَ بَل لَّهُم مَّوْعِدٌ لَّن يَجِدُوا مِن دُونِهِ مَوْئِلًا {58}
[Pickthal 18:58] Thy Lord is the Forgiver, Full of Mercy. If He took them to task (now) for what they earn, He would hasten on the doom for them; but theirs is an appointed term from which they will find no escape.

وَتِلْكَ الْقُرَى أَهْلَكْنَاهُمْ لَمَّا ظَلَمُوا وَجَعَلْنَا لِمَهْلِكِهِم مَّوْعِدًا {59}
[Pickthal 18:59] And (all) those townships! We destroyed them when they did wrong, and We appointed a fixed time for their destruction.

وَإِذْ قَالَ مُوسَى لِفَتَاهُ لَا أَبْرَحُ حَتَّى أَبْلُغَ مَجْمَعَ الْبَحْرَيْنِ أَوْ أَمْضِيَ حُقُبًا {60}
[Pickthal 18:60] And when Moses said unto his servant: I will not give up until I reach the point where the two rivers meet, though I march on for ages.

فَلَمَّا بَلَغَا مَجْمَعَ بَيْنِهِمَا نَسِيَا حُوتَهُمَا فَاتَّخَذَ سَبِيلَهُ فِي الْبَحْرِ سَرَبًا {61}
[Pickthal 18:61] And when they reached the point where the two met, they forgot their fish, and it took its way into the waters, being free.

فَلَمَّا جَاوَزَا قَالَ لِفَتَاهُ آتِنَا غَدَاءنَا لَقَدْ لَقِينَا مِن سَفَرِنَا هَذَا نَصَبًا {62}
[Pickthal 18:62] And when they had gone further, he said unto his servant: Bring us our breakfast. Verily we have found fatigue in this our journey.

قَالَ أَرَأَيْتَ إِذْ أَوَيْنَا إِلَى الصَّخْرَةِ فَإِنِّي نَسِيتُ الْحُوتَ وَمَا أَنسَانِيهُ إِلَّا الشَّيْطَانُ أَنْ أَذْكُرَهُ وَاتَّخَذَ سَبِيلَهُ فِي الْبَحْرِ عَجَبًا {63}
[Pickthal 18:63] He said: Didst thou see, when we took refuge on the rock, and I forgot the fish - and none but Satan caused me to forget to mention it - it took its way into the waters by a marvel.

قَالَ ذَلِكَ مَا كُنَّا نَبْغِ فَارْتَدَّا عَلَى آثَارِهِمَا قَصَصًا {64}
[Pickthal 18:64] He said: This is that which we have been seeking. So they retraced their steps again.

فَوَجَدَا عَبْدًا مِّنْ عِبَادِنَا آتَيْنَاهُ رَحْمَةً مِنْ عِندِنَا وَعَلَّمْنَاهُ مِن لَّدُنَّا عِلْمًا {65}
[Pickthal 18:65] Then found they one of Our slaves, unto whom We had given mercy from Us, and had taught him knowledge from Our presence.

قَالَ لَهُ مُوسَى هَلْ أَتَّبِعُكَ عَلَى أَن تُعَلِّمَنِ مِمَّا عُلِّمْتَ رُشْدًا {66}
[Pickthal 18:66] Moses said unto him: May I follow thee, to the end that thou mayst teach me right conduct of that which thou hast been taught?

قَالَ إِنَّكَ لَن تَسْتَطِيعَ مَعِيَ صَبْرًا {67}
[Pickthal 18:67] He said: Lo! thou canst not bear with me.

وَكَيْفَ تَصْبِرُ عَلَى مَا لَمْ تُحِطْ بِهِ خُبْرًا {68}
[Pickthal 18:68] How canst thou bear with that whereof thou canst not compass any knowledge?

قَالَ سَتَجِدُنِي إِن شَاء اللَّهُ صَابِرًا وَلَا أَعْصِي لَكَ أَمْرًا {69}
[Pickthal 18:69] He said: Allah willing, thou shalt find me patient and I shall not in aught gainsay thee.

قَالَ فَإِنِ اتَّبَعْتَنِي فَلَا تَسْأَلْنِي عَن شَيْءٍ حَتَّى أُحْدِثَ لَكَ مِنْهُ ذِكْرًا {70}
[Pickthal 18:70] He said: Well, if thou go with me, ask me not concerning aught till I myself make mention of it unto thee.

فَانطَلَقَا حَتَّى إِذَا رَكِبَا فِي السَّفِينَةِ خَرَقَهَا قَالَ أَخَرَقْتَهَا لِتُغْرِقَ أَهْلَهَا لَقَدْ جِئْتَ شَيْئًا إِمْرًا {71}
[Pickthal 18:71] So they twain set out till, when they were in the ship, he made a hole therein. (Moses) said: Hast thou made a hole therein to drown the folk thereof? Thou verily hast done a dreadful thing.

قَالَ أَلَمْ أَقُلْ إِنَّكَ لَن تَسْتَطِيعَ مَعِيَ صَبْرًا {72}
[Pickthal 18:72] He said: Did I not tell thee that thou couldst not bear with me?

قَالَ لَا تُؤَاخِذْنِي بِمَا نَسِيتُ وَلَا تُرْهِقْنِي مِنْ أَمْرِي عُسْرًا {73}
[Pickthal 18:73] (Moses) said: Be not wroth with me that I forgot, and be not hard upon me for my fault.

فَانطَلَقَا حَتَّى إِذَا لَقِيَا غُلَامًا فَقَتَلَهُ قَالَ أَقَتَلْتَ نَفْسًا زَكِيَّةً بِغَيْرِ نَفْسٍ لَّقَدْ جِئْتَ شَيْئًا نُّكْرًا {74}
[Pickthal 18:74] So they twain journeyed on till, when they met a lad, he slew him. (Moses) said: What! Hast thou slain an innocent soul who hath slain no man? Verily thou hast done a horrid thing.

قَالَ أَلَمْ أَقُل لَّكَ إِنَّكَ لَن تَسْتَطِيعَ مَعِي صَبْرًا {75}
[Pickthal 18:75] He said: Did I not tell thee that thou couldst not bear with me?

قَالَ إِن سَأَلْتُكَ عَن شَيْءٍ بَعْدَهَا فَلَا تُصَاحِبْنِي قَدْ بَلَغْتَ مِن لَّدُنِّي عُذْرًا {76}
[Pickthal 18:76] (Moses) said: If I ask thee after this concerning aught, keep not company with me. Thou hast received an excuse from me.

فَانطَلَقَا حَتَّى إِذَا أَتَيَا أَهْلَ قَرْيَةٍ اسْتَطْعَمَا أَهْلَهَا فَأَبَوْا أَن يُضَيِّفُوهُمَا فَوَجَدَا فِيهَا جِدَارًا يُرِيدُ أَنْ يَنقَضَّ فَأَقَامَهُ قَالَ لَوْ شِئْتَ لَاتَّخَذْتَ عَلَيْهِ أَجْرًا {77}
[Pickthal 18:77] So they twain journeyed on till, when they came unto the folk of a certain township, they asked its folk for food, but they refused to make them guests. And they found therein a wall upon the point of falling into ruin, and he repaired it. (Moses) said: If thou hadst wished, thou couldst have taken payment for it.

قَالَ هَذَا فِرَاقُ بَيْنِي وَبَيْنِكَ سَأُنَبِّئُكَ بِتَأْوِيلِ مَا لَمْ تَسْتَطِع عَّلَيْهِ صَبْرًا {78}
[Pickthal 18:78] He said: This is the parting between thee and me! I will announce unto thee the interpretation of that thou couldst not bear with patience.

أَمَّا السَّفِينَةُ فَكَانَتْ لِمَسَاكِينَ يَعْمَلُونَ فِي الْبَحْرِ فَأَرَدتُّ أَنْ أَعِيبَهَا وَكَانَ وَرَاءهُم مَّلِكٌ يَأْخُذُ كُلَّ سَفِينَةٍ غَصْبًا {79}
[Pickthal 18:79] As for the ship, it belonged to poor people working on the river, and I wished to mar it, for there was a king behind them who is taking every ship by force.

وَأَمَّا الْغُلَامُ فَكَانَ أَبَوَاهُ مُؤْمِنَيْنِ فَخَشِينَا أَن يُرْهِقَهُمَا طُغْيَانًا وَكُفْرًا {80}
[Pickthal 18:80] And as for the lad, his parents were believers and we feared lest he should oppress them by rebellion and disbelief.

فَأَرَدْنَا أَن يُبْدِلَهُمَا رَبُّهُمَا خَيْرًا مِّنْهُ زَكَاةً وَأَقْرَبَ رُحْمًا {81}
[Pickthal 18:81] And we intended that their Lord should change him for them for one better in purity and nearer to mercy.

وَأَمَّا الْجِدَارُ فَكَانَ لِغُلَامَيْنِ يَتِيمَيْنِ فِي الْمَدِينَةِ وَكَانَ تَحْتَهُ كَنزٌ لَّهُمَا وَكَانَ أَبُوهُمَا صَالِحًا فَأَرَادَ رَبُّكَ أَنْ يَبْلُغَا أَشُدَّهُمَا وَيَسْتَخْرِجَا كَنزَهُمَا رَحْمَةً مِّن رَّبِّكَ وَمَا فَعَلْتُهُ عَنْ أَمْرِي ذَلِكَ تَأْوِيلُ مَا لَمْ تَسْطِع عَّلَيْهِ صَبْرًا {82}
[Pickthal 18:82] And as for the wall, it belonged to two orphan boys in the city, and there was beneath it a treasure belonging to them, and their father had been righteous, and thy Lord intended that they should come to their full strength and should bring forth their treasure as a mercy from their Lord; and I did it not upon my own command. Such is the interpretation of that wherewith thou couldst not bear.

وَيَسْأَلُونَكَ عَن ذِي الْقَرْنَيْنِ قُلْ سَأَتْلُو عَلَيْكُم مِّنْهُ ذِكْرًا {83}
[Pickthal 18:83] They will ask thee of Dhu'l-Qarneyn. Say: I shall recite unto you a remembrance of him.

إِنَّا مَكَّنَّا لَهُ فِي الْأَرْضِ وَآتَيْنَاهُ مِن كُلِّ شَيْءٍ سَبَبًا {84}
[Pickthal 18:84] Lo! We made him strong in the land and gave him unto every thing a road.

فَأَتْبَعَ سَبَبًا {85}
[Pickthal 18:85] And he followed a road

حَتَّى إِذَا بَلَغَ مَغْرِبَ الشَّمْسِ وَجَدَهَا تَغْرُبُ فِي عَيْنٍ حَمِئَةٍ وَوَجَدَ عِندَهَا قَوْمًا قُلْنَا يَا ذَا الْقَرْنَيْنِ إِمَّا أَن تُعَذِّبَ وَإِمَّا أَن تَتَّخِذَ فِيهِمْ حُسْنًا {86}
[Pickthal 18:86] Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness.

قَالَ أَمَّا مَن ظَلَمَ فَسَوْفَ نُعَذِّبُهُ ثُمَّ يُرَدُّ إِلَى رَبِّهِ فَيُعَذِّبُهُ عَذَابًا نُّكْرًا {87}
[Pickthal 18:87] He said: As for him who doeth wrong, we shall punish him, and then he will be brought back unto his Lord, Who will punish him with awful punishment!

وَأَمَّا مَنْ آمَنَ وَعَمِلَ صَالِحًا فَلَهُ جَزَاء الْحُسْنَى وَسَنَقُولُ لَهُ مِنْ أَمْرِنَا يُسْرًا {88}
[Pickthal 18:88] But as for him who believeth and doeth right, good will be his reward, and We shall speak unto him a mild command.

ثُمَّ أَتْبَعَ سَبَبًا {89}
[Pickthal 18:89] Then he followed a road

حَتَّى إِذَا بَلَغَ مَطْلِعَ الشَّمْسِ وَجَدَهَا تَطْلُعُ عَلَى قَوْمٍ لَّمْ نَجْعَل لَّهُم مِّن دُونِهَا سِتْرًا {90}
[Pickthal 18:90] Till, when he reached the rising-place of the sun, he found it rising on a people for whom We had appointed no shelter therefrom.

كَذَلِكَ وَقَدْ أَحَطْنَا بِمَا لَدَيْهِ خُبْرًا {91}
[Pickthal 18:91] So (it was). And We knew all concerning him.

ثُمَّ أَتْبَعَ سَبَبًا {92}
[Pickthal 18:92] Then he followed a road

حَتَّى إِذَا بَلَغَ بَيْنَ السَّدَّيْنِ وَجَدَ مِن دُونِهِمَا قَوْمًا لَّا يَكَادُونَ يَفْقَهُونَ قَوْلًا {93}
[Pickthal 18:93] Till, when he came between the two mountains, he found upon their hither side a folk that scarce could understand a saying.

قَالُوا يَا ذَا الْقَرْنَيْنِ إِنَّ يَأْجُوجَ وَمَأْجُوجَ مُفْسِدُونَ فِي الْأَرْضِ فَهَلْ نَجْعَلُ لَكَ خَرْجًا عَلَى أَن تَجْعَلَ بَيْنَنَا وَبَيْنَهُمْ سَدًّا {94}
[Pickthal 18:94] They said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Lo! Gog and Magog are spoiling the land. So may we pay thee tribute on condition that thou set a barrier between us and them?

قَالَ مَا مَكَّنِّي فِيهِ رَبِّي خَيْرٌ فَأَعِينُونِي بِقُوَّةٍ أَجْعَلْ بَيْنَكُمْ وَبَيْنَهُمْ رَدْمًا {95}
[Pickthal 18:95] He said: That wherein my Lord hath established me is better (than your tribute). Do but help me with strength (of men), I will set between you and them a bank.

آتُونِي زُبَرَ الْحَدِيدِ حَتَّى إِذَا سَاوَى بَيْنَ الصَّدَفَيْنِ قَالَ انفُخُوا حَتَّى إِذَا جَعَلَهُ نَارًا قَالَ آتُونِي أُفْرِغْ عَلَيْهِ قِطْرًا {96}
[Pickthal 18:96] Give me pieces of iron - till, when he had levelled up (the gap) between the cliffs, he said: Blow! - till, when he had made it a fire, he said: Bring me molten copper to pour thereon.

فَمَا اسْطَاعُوا أَن يَظْهَرُوهُ وَمَا اسْتَطَاعُوا لَهُ نَقْبًا {97}
[Pickthal 18:97] And (Gog and Magog) were not able to surmount, nor could they pierce (it).

قَالَ هَذَا رَحْمَةٌ مِّن رَّبِّي فَإِذَا جَاء وَعْدُ رَبِّي جَعَلَهُ دَكَّاء وَكَانَ وَعْدُ رَبِّي حَقًّا {98}
[Pickthal 18:98] He said: This is a mercy from my Lord; but when the promise of my Lord cometh to pass, He will lay it low, for the promise of my Lord is true.

وَتَرَكْنَا بَعْضَهُمْ يَوْمَئِذٍ يَمُوجُ فِي بَعْضٍ وَنُفِخَ فِي الصُّورِ فَجَمَعْنَاهُمْ جَمْعًا {99}
[Pickthal 18:99] And on that day we shall let some of them surge against others, and the Trumpet will be blown. Then We shall gather them together in one gathering.

وَعَرَضْنَا جَهَنَّمَ يَوْمَئِذٍ لِّلْكَافِرِينَ عَرْضًا {100}
[Pickthal 18:100] On that day we shall present hell to the disbelievers, plain to view,

الَّذِينَ كَانَتْ أَعْيُنُهُمْ فِي غِطَاء عَن ذِكْرِي وَكَانُوا لَا يَسْتَطِيعُونَ سَمْعًا {101}
[Pickthal 18:101] Those whose eyes were hoodwinked from My reminder, and who could not bear to hear.

أَفَحَسِبَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا أَن يَتَّخِذُوا عِبَادِي مِن دُونِي أَوْلِيَاء إِنَّا أَعْتَدْنَا جَهَنَّمَ لِلْكَافِرِينَ نُزُلًا {102}
[Pickthal 18:102] Do the disbelievers reckon that they can choose My bondmen as protecting friends beside Me? Lo! We have prepared hell as a welcome for the disbelievers.

قُلْ هَلْ نُنَبِّئُكُمْ بِالْأَخْسَرِينَ أَعْمَالًا {103}
[Pickthal 18:103] Say: Shall We inform you who will be the greatest losers by their works?

الَّذِينَ ضَلَّ سَعْيُهُمْ فِي الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَهُمْ يَحْسَبُونَ أَنَّهُمْ يُحْسِنُونَ صُنْعًا {104}
[Pickthal 18:104] Those whose effort goeth astray in the life of the world, and yet they reckon that they do good work.

أُولَئِكَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا بِآيَاتِ رَبِّهِمْ وَلِقَائِهِ فَحَبِطَتْ أَعْمَالُهُمْ فَلَا نُقِيمُ لَهُمْ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ وَزْنًا {105}
[Pickthal 18:105] Those are they who disbelieve in the revelations of their Lord and in the meeting with Him. Therefor their works are vain, and on the Day of Resurrection We assign no weight to them.

ذَلِكَ جَزَاؤُهُمْ جَهَنَّمُ بِمَا كَفَرُوا وَاتَّخَذُوا آيَاتِي وَرُسُلِي هُزُوًا {106}
[Pickthal 18:106] That is their reward: hell, because they disbelieved, and made a jest of Our revelations and Our messengers.

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ كَانَتْ لَهُمْ جَنَّاتُ الْفِرْدَوْسِ نُزُلًا {107}
[Pickthal 18:107] Lo! those who believe and do good works, theirs are the Gardens of Paradise for welcome,

خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا لَا يَبْغُونَ عَنْهَا حِوَلًا {108}
[Pickthal 18:108] Wherein they will abide, with no desire to be removed from thence.

قُل لَّوْ كَانَ الْبَحْرُ مِدَادًا لِّكَلِمَاتِ رَبِّي لَنَفِدَ الْبَحْرُ قَبْلَ أَن تَنفَدَ كَلِمَاتُ رَبِّي وَلَوْ جِئْنَا بِمِثْلِهِ مَدَدًا {109}
[Pickthal 18:109] Say: Though the sea became ink for the Words of my Lord, verily the sea would be used up before the words of my Lord were exhausted, even though We brought the like thereof to help.

قُلْ إِنَّمَا أَنَا بَشَرٌ مِّثْلُكُمْ يُوحَى إِلَيَّ أَنَّمَا إِلَهُكُمْ إِلَهٌ وَاحِدٌ فَمَن كَانَ يَرْجُو لِقَاء رَبِّهِ فَلْيَعْمَلْ عَمَلًا صَالِحًا وَلَا يُشْرِكْ بِعِبَادَةِ رَبِّهِ أَحَدًا {110}
[Pickthal 18:110] Say: I am only a mortal like you. My Lord inspireth in me that your Allah is only One Allah. And whoever hopeth for the meeting with his Lord, let him do righteous work, and make none sharer of the worship due unto his Lord.

lavikor201
04-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Thank you Purest Ambrosia, but I posted something which I would like answers to that disputes that Mohammad is the one mentioned.

"say that it was one the leaders of the Quraysh who frowned and turned away from the blind man."

Malaikah
04-05-2007, 02:35 PM
I would still like see the verses of which G-d specifically tells Mohammad that he is very wrong on somethings, or that he has done something wrong. The verse given to me before seems disputed.
See my first post for the verses.... they are the ones numbered 1-12.

As for your post... hmm sectarian issues aren't allowed to say the least. The sunni version of events does not contradict the Quran at all. Prophet Muhammad made a mistake. He was human, not an angel. And he repented immediately once he realised his wrong-doing, of course.

Thank you Purest Ambrosia, but I posted something which I would like answers to that disputes that Mohammad is the one mentioned.
The very fact that the thing you posted is shia based totally discredits it. We can't help you here, we aren't qualified to refute the lies propagated by deviant Islamic sects.

lavikor201
04-05-2007, 02:37 PM
As for your post... hmm sectarian issues aren't allowed to say the least. The sunni version of events does not contradict the Quran at all. Prophet Muhammad made a mistake. He was human, not an angel. And he repented immediately once he realised his wrong-doing, of course.
Okay, all I am saying is that it is dipsuted, and I need for something I am in the middle of writing, a clear instance where G-d in the Quran tells Mohammad that he is doing something wrong, or reprimends him.

Malaikah
04-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Are you writing an article along the lines of 'Here the Quran tells Muhammad off, therefore he can't be a real prophet?' :mmokay:

Please tell us your intention as no one here would want to help you with such an endevour.

Also, I do not know of any other place in the Quran where Prophet Muhammad is corrected.

جوري
04-05-2007, 02:43 PM
I find it laughable when a Jew comes and tells us who is disputing what in our Quran and reinterprets it --and by the same token finds it utterly ridiculous when us Muslims do the same with his Tanakh... besides I have listed Suret Al-Kahf as well... but I will not repeat what I wrote you should search for it... I woke late today and on the wrong side of the bed-- I can't humor this when I see crooked intent.....

lavikor201
04-05-2007, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
I find it laughable when a Jew comes and tells us who is disputing what in our Quran and reinterprets it --and by the same token finds it utterly ridiculous when us Muslims do the same with his Tanakh... besides I have listed Suret Al-Kahf as well... but I will not repeat what I wrote you should search for it... I woke late today and on the wrong side of the bed-- I can't humor this when I see crooked intent.....
First off my intent is to see how the tone of the Bible and Quran differ or are similar. There are many categories such as punishment, reward etc.

Second, I am not disputing the Quran or your interpretation, I just want it cleared up as to why a Muslim us disputing your interpretation, so when I write what I write, it will be considered accepted by all Muslims and not disputed.

If you bring me a different interpreation of the Tanakh written by a learned Jew then I will not find it ridiculous! However, when you post a Tanakh interpretation from a Muslim source then I will find it ridiculous.

AhlaamBella
04-05-2007, 02:59 PM
However, when you post a Tanakh interpretation from a Muslim source then I will find it ridiculous.
Sorry but how is that logical? What difference does religion make? And don't say bias because honesty does still exist in the world you know.

Umar001
04-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to say anyone can dispute anything, the substance for the dispute is what should be judged.

جوري
04-05-2007, 04:29 PM
First off my intent is to see how the tone of the Bible and Quran differ or are similar. There are many categories such as punishment, reward etc.

Second, I am not disputing the Quran or your interpretation, I just want it cleared up as to why a Muslim us disputing your interpretation, so when I write what I write, it will be considered accepted by all Muslims and not disputed.

If you bring me a different interpreation of the Tanakh written by a learned Jew then I will not find it ridiculous! However, when you post a Tanakh interpretation from a Muslim source then I will find it ridiculous.
The Quran isn't about rewards or punishment I find that a rather sophomoric view... if I have to sum it up in one word then it would be about Justice-- for all of mankind! ... I speak Arabic fluently and still don't understand many things in the Quran that need a scholarly mind to interpret... but judging from your other post in which you stated "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as per regard to the so-called poetic text in the Quran-- And the nature of your question here can only lead me to conclude two things--that you have neither read the Quran least of which in original tongue to assert your previous statement... nor know of its subject matter as to be able to pass on a "refutation"...I'll spare you my view of how the Quran compares to the other books-- but will tell you this much (it is written very differently and therefore, can't be compared to previous scriptures.)

Peace!

Woodrow
04-05-2007, 04:42 PM

Thank you.
The question is difficult for some of us to answer, any answer will be our own opinion and as such is subject to be in error.

I do not think very many, if any of us here are Qur'anic Scholars.

I know I do not have the knowledge to say that such criticisms do not exist.

However, I have not yet seen any thing I understood to be as such. My answers are very much limited by my deficiency in Qur'anic knowledge.

I know that sounds like a cop out, but the fact is my knowledge of the Qur'an is very limited and I have much left to learn.

Just my round about why of saying "I do not know."

lavikor201
04-05-2007, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
The Quran isn't about rewards or punishment I find that a rather sophomoric view... if I have to sum it up in one word then it would be about Justice-- for all of mankind! ... I speak Arabic fluently and still don't understand many things in the Quran that need a scholarly mind to interpret... but judging from your other post in which you stated "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as per regard to the so-called poetic text in the Quran-- And the nature of your question here can only lead me to conclude two things--that you have neither read the Quran least of which in original tongue to assert your previous statement... nor know of its subject matter as to be able to pass on a "refutation"...I'll spare you my view of how the Quran compares to the other books-- but will tell you this much (it is written very differently and therefore, can't be compared to previous scriptures.)

Peace!
I am not making judgements on your holy book. What I am doing is comparing the tone and language used in all three faiths holy books, and using the tone in different situations. It has nothing to do with what the Quran is about, but the tone used in different situations.

Sorry but how is that logical? What difference does religion make? And don't say bias because honesty does still exist in the world you know.
Not bias, but knowledge. Jews study these texts all day, and I have met very few Muslims who study the Talmud and Tanakh for about 20 out of 24 possible hours a day with the intent of not finding faults in it.

YusufNoor
04-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Assalamu alaykum wa'rahma-tullahi, wa'barakatahu

my apologies if some of our response seem rude. you should check the above mentioned verses in ibn Kathir's tafseer:

http://www.tafsir.com/

that should, i hope, give you the information that you require.

I just want it cleared up as to why a Muslim us disputing your interpretation, so when I write what I write, it will be considered accepted by all Muslims and not disputed.
we have no power to guide whom Allah(SWT) leads astray, therefore, if someone wants to deviate there is nothing that we can do for them except explain the truth...

Peace,

جوري
04-05-2007, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=lavikor201;705107]I am not making judgements on your holy book. What I am doing is comparing the tone and language used in all three faiths holy books, and using the tone in different situations. It has nothing to do with what the Quran is about, but the tone used in different situations.
[QUOTE]

Well-- you'll find that the tone is no different than that when Moses (PBUH) met with (Zi ilkhidr) and was impatient with him--Which you can read all about in sura 18 around verses 60 on...

peace

lavikor201
04-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Thank you.

Abu Zakariya
04-05-2007, 06:13 PM
lavikor

The Orthodox Muslim understanding of the verses in Surah 'Abasa is clear, and we believe it is in reference to Muhammad (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam). What some minority sect believes doesn't matter to us. The Prophet (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) was a human being and made mistakes, but because he was a Prophet, God would correct him.

What if I bring you an interpretation that a minority deviant Jewish sect believes in? Or reform Jews?

Here are other verses (he isn't exactly criticized per se, but he is warned):

And if he (Muhammad SAW) had forged a false saying concerning Us (Allâh), We surely should have seized him by his right hand (or with power and might), And then certainly should have cut off his life artery (Aorta), And none of you could withhold Us from (punishing) him.

And here's another example:

And keep yourself (O Muhammad SAW) patiently with those who call on their Lord (i.e. your companions who remember their Lord with glorification, praising in prayers, etc., and other righteous deeds, etc.) morning and afternoon, seeking His Face, and let not your eyes overlook them, desiring the pomp and glitter of the life of the world; and obey not him whose heart We have made heedless of Our Remembrance, one who follows his own lusts and whose affair (deeds) has been lost. (Al-Kahf 18:28)

This verse was a response to a particular incident where the Quraysh agreed to have a meeting with the Prophet (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) on the condition that he distanced himself from his poor followers, for that particular meeting. So he was told by God to not listen to them.

Here's another verse where he is "told off" by God:

O Prophet! Why do you ban (for yourself) that which Allâh has made lawful to you, seeking to please your wives? And Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (At-Tahrim 66:1)

abdulhakim55
04-05-2007, 06:22 PM
"I would rather die believing that it was not the Prophet who frowned and learn later that it was the Prophet who frowned than to die believing that it was the Prophet who frowned and learn later that it was not the Prophet who frowned".

I'm not sure if it was the prophet guys. :blind:

abdulhakim55
04-05-2007, 06:23 PM
I read this: The Qur'an remained silent as to who frowned and even if one is curious to know who frowned, the answer is not in the Qur'an because it is not a Book of names but a Book of principles. There is a tradition which mentions that a man from the Banu Ummayyah frowned at the blind man. However if one asks the question: "can the Prophet frown at a blind or poor man?", then the Qur'an has an answer in surah Qalam verse #4, i.e. the Prophet was on a sublime level of morality and thus it is not possible for him to behaved in this manner.

Abu Zakariya
04-05-2007, 06:37 PM
You have to look at the context.

Muslims were being persecuted and killed by the Quraysh! So when he got a chance to talk to the leaders of Quraysh and invite them to Islam, this could bring about a lot of good and stop the persecution and killing of Muslims. That is why, when he got this chance he felt that he didn't have time for the blind man at that moment, and instead wanted to focus all his attention at this influental person in the society (and then later return to the blind man and help him). The Prophet (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) made an honest mistake, but his intention wasn't to hurt this man or anything, he did it in the "spur of the moment" as they say.

rebelishaulman
04-05-2007, 08:00 PM
No human is perfect which is why everyone from Moses, to King David, to Solomon, to Joshua, to all are repeatedly denounced and criticized by G-d. Every fault by every prophet, every fault by the Jewish people, even if they are behaving better then the gentiles is pointed out. The Jews if they act the same as non-Jews are told they are bad. At every chance G-d gets he chastises the prophets.

The fact that few if any attacks by G-d against your prophets are in your scriptures is a interesting point.

The claim to infallibility is the sign of forgery, and a lesson on frowns or a way a prophet wants people to act so he tells all that G-d corrected him, is very suspicious. But I prefer not to voice my views here, and a theological debate is far from what I want since Muslims practice what G-d wants the goyam to do which are the seven laws.

Abu Zakariya
04-05-2007, 08:11 PM
The fact that few if any attacks by G-d against your prophets are in your scriptures is a interesting point.

The claim to infallibility is the sign of forgery, and a lesson on frowns or a way a prophet wants people to act so he tells all that G-d corrected him, is very suspicious.
What do you mean by the last statement?

As for the what you said in the first statement, you have to understand that in Islam what we mean by the Prophets being infallible is that they don't make a mistake when it comes to delivering the message. They wont misinform the people in something that relates to religion. However, when it comes to worldly matters they will make mistakes since they are humans.

I don't see why God would attack the Prophets. However, as we showed you God did criticize and use harsh words when the Prophet Muhammad (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) did the kind of mistake he did when he didn't respond to the blind man. And he was also criticized in the Qur'an on another instance (perhaps more, I don't know). He was a human being and made mistakes. Only God is Perfect.

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 02:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rebelishaulman
No human is perfect which is why everyone from Moses, to King David, to Solomon, to Joshua, to all are repeatedly denounced and criticized by G-d. Every fault by every prophet, every fault by the Jewish people, even if they are behaving better then the gentiles is pointed out. The Jews if they act the same as non-Jews are told they are bad. At every chance G-d gets he chastises the prophets.

The claim to infallibility is the sign of forgery, and a lesson on frowns or a way a prophet wants people to act so he tells all that G-d corrected him, is very suspicious. But I prefer not to voice my views here, and a theological debate is far from what I want since Muslims practice what G-d wants the goyam to do which are the seven laws.
one of the strongest reasons i can see for believing the tanach is true is the way the people are portrayed in it - as entirely human and very fallible. no people would portray themselves so unglowingly!

YusufNoor
04-06-2007, 03:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
one of the strongest reasons i can see for believing the tanach is true is the way the people are portrayed in it - as entirely human and very fallible. no people would portray themselves so unglowingly!

Peace snakelegs,

have you ever read the Stone Chumash version of the Torah??

http://www.artscroll.com/Categories/ste.html

if you haven't, you should!

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 05:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

Peace snakelegs,

have you ever read the Stone Chumash version of the Torah??

http://www.artscroll.com/Categories/ste.html

if you haven't, you should!

sounds interesting. i'm not about to buy it though because if i did, it would just sit there waiting for me to read it and i already have a small crowd of stuff waiting to be read and some have been waiting a long time already!
why - do the commentaries portray the jews more flatteringly than the torah itself?

Abu Zakariya
04-06-2007, 09:09 AM
The Qur'an and the Islamic sources do the same.

Again, to this day we Muslims recite the verses of the Qur'an in which Muhammad (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) is criticized. To this day we read hadiths in which we learn that the Prophet (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) made mistakes and forgot. However, when it comes to delivering the message and the revelation, they made no mistakes. If they mistakes when it came to delivering the message (and told us wrong things), why would we believe in them at all?

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 10:09 AM
actually, i was thinking of the way the people (the jews) themselves are portrayed - they are a whiney, stubborn bunch.
i don't think the followers of islam are portrayed like this, are they? (i know that nobody in the qur'an is portrayed as totally without sin or incapable of making mistakes).
keep in mind, i am only talking about tanach - i have never read the NT

YusufNoor
04-06-2007, 12:11 PM
sounds interesting. i'm not about to buy it though because if i did, it would just sit there waiting for me to read it and i already have a small crowd of stuff waiting to be read and some have been waiting a long time already!
why - do the commentaries portray the jews more flatteringly than the torah itself?

Peace snakelegs:

oh no! they take selected writings from the most brilliant scholars and bits and pieces of midrash and do their best to explain and expand upon the lessons contained in the Torah and also explain apparent inconsistencies in the text. the Jewish Sages are in a field of their own, we're talking near genius.

stop by a big bookstore and browse through one if you have the opportunity. seriously, the first time i read it, it blew my mind and changed my life! midrash is a collection of info either deduced from Scripture or contained in Jewish lore.[there's one chart in particular where they drew a timeline of the Prophets, according to the info contained in the Torah/Tanakh. pretty much turns the Torah and the Prophets into a VERY possible reality. i really enjoyed, because i had already figured it out, the fact that Methusulah was alive until 7 days before the flood. after all, Noah had to have a teacher! and Shem and Eber("Hebrew" is actually Eber-u!!) were alive in Salem(of Jeru -fame :D ) at the time that Abraham entered the Promised!!]

i'm not saying that you'll agree with everything in it, but once you read stuff by RASHI and RAMBAN, you'll never look at OT stuff the same way again.

and the ArtScroll series expands on a lot more of the Jewish OT writings. there's a 2 volume Genesis with about 1800 pages!

way cool!

Malaikah
04-06-2007, 01:31 PM
actually, i was thinking of the way the people (the jews) themselves are portrayed - they are a whiney, stubborn bunch.
i don't think the followers of islam are portrayed like this, are they? (i know that nobody in the qur'an is portrayed as totally without sin or incapable of making mistakes).
keep in mind, i am only talking about tanach - i have never read the NT
No, because the Muslims weren't a 'whiney, stubborn bunch.'. The Jews are portrayed that way though in the Quran, and in all fairness, how else do you expect previously oppressed and weak people to act?

The early Muslims weren't like the Jews in terms of their situation. But that doesn't mean they didn't have shortcomings of their own.

lavikor201
04-06-2007, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Zakariya
The Qur'an and the Islamic sources do the same.

Again, to this day we Muslims recite the verses of the Qur'an in which Muhammad (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) is criticized. To this day we read hadiths in which we learn that the Prophet (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) made mistakes and forgot. However, when it comes to delivering the message and the revelation, they made no mistakes. If they mistakes when it came to delivering the message (and told us wrong things), why would we believe in them at all?
Why do Christians believe in the New Testament when you say its corrupted?

No, because the Muslims weren't a 'whiney, stubborn bunch.'. The Jews are portrayed that way though in the Quran, and in all fairness, how else do you expect previously oppressed and weak people to act?

The early Muslims weren't like the Jews in terms of their situation. But that doesn't mean they didn't have shortcomings of their own.
I don't thimnk you understand that even after the exodus. If the "corrupters" wanted to get rid of stuff, or replace it why not remove about them being a "stiff knecked people". The corruption theory makes no sense, and no one even dares to give us a date of when it happend. Mohammad came 800 years after the whole world was publishing the Bible in Greek, so does that mean G-d sent Mohammad 800 years after it was corrupted? What was he waiting for? Is anyone from that tim period going to heaven?

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 07:20 PM
my point was only that a people do not usually portray themselves in such unflattering terms as the jews are described in the tanach, which i think is the best argument for it (tanach) being true.
personally, i have no position on it.

Abu Zakariya
04-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Why do Christians believe in the New Testament when you say its corrupted?
I don't see what that has got to do with the point I was making.

The Prophets don't make a mistake when it comes to delivering the message, that is the point. If God tells His Prophet to convey something to the people, the Prophet will do so and he will not make a mistake and misinform his followers.
That has nothing to do with the following generations corrupting his message. He didn't corrupt it himself.

The corruption theory makes no sense, and no one even dares to give us a date of when it happend. Mohammad came 800 years after the whole world was publishing the Bible in Greek, so does that mean G-d sent Mohammad 800 years after it was corrupted? What was he waiting for? Is anyone from that tim period going to heaven?
Muhammad (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) was sent about 600 years after Jesus ('alayhi salam). So during this 800 year period a Messenger was sent. And in the time between the Prophet Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them) there were different groups claiming to be followers of Jesus, even those that rejected the Trinity and believed that Jesus was only a Prophet. So these people, the true Monotheist followers of Jesus will go to heaven.

The people that live during times like the time period between the Prophet Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them) during a time when the message has generally been corrupted are called the people of the Barzakh and there is a special ruling when it comes to them.

ManchesterFolk
04-06-2007, 10:28 PM
there were different groups claiming to be followers of Jesus, even those that rejected the Trinity and believed that Jesus was only a Prophet.
Really? I would love to hear more about these groups. Do you have any records of them from that time period?

Muslim Knight
04-07-2007, 05:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
Really? I would love to hear more about these groups. Do you have any records of them from that time period?
Unitarians & followers of Arius persecuted as heretics by Roman Catholics. Nearly annihilated for rejecting the Trinity fabrications of Paul.

Abu Zakariya
04-07-2007, 11:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
The Trinity was accepted as dogma at the council in Nicaea, before that there were people that believed in Jesus ('alayhi salam) as a Prophet and rejected the Trinity etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

The council was held about 300 years before the advent of the Prophet Muhammad (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam). So during this 800 year period that Lavikor was talking about, 2 Prophets were sent and there were groups that stood for Monotheism for hundreds of years, so there were people that could go to Paradise during this time period. There's a relevant story about one of the Prophet's (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) Companions, a former Christian who found Islam after years of travelling the Christian world and studying under priests/monks:

http://www.understand-islam.net/Book...thePersian.pdf

abdulhakim55
04-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Despite the fact that you do not regard the companions as infallible and accept the notion of them committing sins, you consider it wrong to criticise them due to the respect you afford them. You regard their holiness to be in keeping evil off them, which proves the fact that, for the honour of a respectable and dignified personality it is necessary that he is kept away from sins and treated as immune from defects. This concept is infallibility in all but name. Then what objection do you have in considering the holy prophet as infallible when you consider it a sin to call his companions as sinners and reject the infallibility of the holy prophet himself?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.