/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions Posed By Non-Muslims need urgent help!!!

Mohsin
07-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Assalamualaikum!

High, i'm new to this site but alhumdulillah i am happy i've come accross it, is wicked. There seem to be a lot of knowledgeable brothers and sisters here, and some very good topics going
I got a few questions i've been having trouble answering. If you know the answers to any of them, please let me know. JazakAllah Khair

1) We all know Qu'ran to be totally scientificically correct right. Well the one ayyah i been having trouble understanding is the one where it says we are allowed to marry our cousins. Isn't this scientificially unethical. It reduces gene pool and in many countries its even banned? Please can someone shed some light on this topic

2) The banning of alcohol. Alcohol was not immediately banned. First it was prohibited during salah, after Hadhrat Umer(RA) complained to the Prophet SAW, and ayyah was revealed “O Believers’ do not approach Salâh while intoxicated.” Then after some fights or so broke up someone told the prophet and then alcohol was totally prohibited. My question is why wasn't it immediately prohibited, and it appears that it only happened when someone complained, why did someone need to complain for Allah SWA to ban it

3) The muslims originally used to pray towards jerusalem. They then changed to Mekkah. Why was it not from the very beginning that they prayed to Mekkah. Some people say it's because the Prophet SAW fell out with the jews. Some people say God changed his mind.Surely this can't be

4) Whats the best way to answer,with good logical reasoning, when someone asks why your not allowed to take or give interest

5) What about when people ask about circumcision. I know that it reduces likely spread of HIV, but as Muslims this should not be an issue as we shudn't be having realationships outside of marriage. Are there are other scientific reasons

6) What about when people ask why do you praise God so much, surely God doesn't require your praises, regardless of how many times you paise him he shud still be that great

7) How do you answer questions of atheists who say why does God let so much bad stuff happen, for example Tsunami.

8) Also how can you explain the way we pray, i've heard non-muslims making fun saying we're going for some exercise. what is the wisdom behind all these different actions

Again JazakAllah for any help to any of these questions

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bittersteel
07-29-2005, 04:26 PM
3) The muslims originally used to pray towards jerusalem. They then changed to Mekkah. Why was it not from the very beginning that they prayed to Mekkah. Some people say it's because the Prophet SAW fell out with the jews. Some people say God changed his mind.Surely this can't be
Allah just wanted to test them.There was an article on this i will try to find that..

6) What about when people ask why do you praise God so much, surely God doesn't require your praises, regardless of how many times you paise him he shud still be that great
so he can reward us in afterlife...

correct me if I am wrong.

8) Also how can you explain the way we pray, i've heard non-muslims making fun saying we're going for some exercise. what is the wisdom behind all these different actions
http://-----------------------/scientific_index.html

searching is needed a bit.

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-29-2005, 04:38 PM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by Moss
High, i'm new to this site but alhumdulillah i am happy i've come accross it
Im very happy that you've come acroos it as well. :) Insha'allah you will benefit from your stay here.
1) We all know Qu'ran to be totally scientificically correct right. Well the one ayyah i been having trouble understanding is the one where it says we are allowed to marry our cousins. Isn't this scientificially unethical. It reduces gene pool and in many countries its even banned? Please can someone shed some light on this topic
You must distinguish between permiting something and recommending something. The Qur'an has in no place recommended marriage to cousins, although it has permitted them as they were widely practiced in almost all cultures (Arab, Indian, Persian, European, African, etc.) and it would not be practical to prohibit them. Moreover, it should be noted that the only danger in marrying one's cousin occurs if it becomes a repeated practice because that would result in a decrease in genetic diversity. Buit as long as it is not a repeated practice, there is no significant harm.

2) The banning of alcohol. Alcohol was not immediately banned. First it was prohibited during salah, after Hadhrat Umer(RA) complained to the Prophet SAW, and ayyah was revealed “O Believers’ do not approach Salâh while intoxicated.” Then after some fights or so broke up someone told the prophet and then alcohol was totally prohibited. My question is why wasn't it immediately prohibited, and it appears that it only happened when someone complained, why did someone need to complain for Allah SWA to ban it
The gradual prohibition of alcohol is something behind which there is alot of wisdom. I could post more on the subject but to be brief I would like to point out that alcohol was a deep-rooted practice in arab society - had it been banned at once, no one would have been able to accept Islam! But it was banned after the people increased in Imaan (faith) and were ready for the laws. THis teaches us that the people must be prepared for the laws if the system is to be successful.

Also, many verses of the Qur'an were revealed after certain incidents, but don't be fooled into thinking that the verse was Allah's reaction to the incident. Far from it, Allah swt had planned every verse to be revealed in advance but many were revealed at certain times to give the people an understanding of the practical application of the verses.

I've read your remaining questions and some are very good qestions so I would like to give them a fuller response later, insha'Allah when I have the time as I'm in a rush now.

:w:7

kadafi
07-29-2005, 06:07 PM

First of all, welcome to LI Islamic Forum, Insha'Allaah, may your stay here be fruitful.

With that being said, the question that you asked is already answered in the same verse that refers to the Qiblah Baytal-Maqqadis (Jerusalem)

Allaah (Exalted is He) said:
Thus We have made you [true Muslims - real believers of Islamic Monotheism, true followers of Prophet Muhammad SAW and his Sunnah (legal ways)], a Wasat (just) (and the best) nation, that you be witnesses over mankind and the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) be a witness over you. And We made the Qiblah (prayer direction towards Jerusalem), which you used to face, only to test those who followed the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) from those who would turn on their heels (i.e. disobey the Messenger). Indeed it was great (heavy) except for those whom Allah guided. And Allah would never make your faith (prayers) to be lost (i.e. your prayers offered towards Jerusalem). Truly, Allah is full of kindness, the Most Merciful towards mankind.
Whats the best way to answer,with good logical reasoning, when someone asks why your not allowed to take or give interest
A good article would be:
The Facts About Usury: Why Islam Is Against Lending Money At Interest by Islamic Party Of Britain

What about when people ask about circumcision. I know that it reduces likely spread of HIV, but as Muslims this should not be an issue as we shudn't be having realationships outside of marriage. Are there are other scientific reasons
A scientific view of the matter is provided by islamonline.net:
The hygienic value of circumcision has today been generally conceded, and some physicians recommend the operation as a routine measure for all male infants, it is part of the routine of bathing an uncircumcised boy, to draw back the foreskin and sponge the head of the penis. This is for general cleanliness and also to remove pasty white secretion called smegma, which accumulates under the foreskin and may lead to local irritation unless it is regularly cleansed. Whenever a new born is found to have a tight foreskin (phimosis), the physician usually recommends circumcision.
There is also the Medical Benefits from Circumcision by Dr. Brian J. Morris, from Circ-Online

What about when people ask why do you praise God so much, surely God doesn't require your praises, regardless of how many times you paise him he shud still be that great
We only praise Allaah for our benefit. An article conducted by islamicvoice.com explains it perfectly.

A exerpt of the article:
AllahuAkbar doesn’t make Allah Great

Allah does not require our praises for His benefit. When we say AllahuAkbar, Allah is the Greatest, He does not become greater. He is already the Greatest irrespective of whether we say Allahu Akbar a million times or don’t say it at all. It will make no difference in his greatness. He will yet remain the Greatest.

2. We Praise Allah for our benefit

Allah says in the Quran in chapter 35 verse 15 (35:15) O ye men! It is Ye that have need Of Allah: but Allah is The One Free of all wants, Worthy of all praise. Allah is free of all wants. He does not require us to praise Him. It is we human beings who require Allah and we praise Him for our own benefit.

3. We praise Allah to convince ourselves He is worthy to be followed

We normally follow the advice of a person who is great, famous and important. A person who is intelligent and wise. We will not follow the advice of a stranger who is unknown or a person who is not intelligent nor wise. That is the reason we praise Allah that He is the Greatest, The Most Wise, The All Knowing etc, to first convince ourselves that He is worthy to be followed then we ask Him to guide us and help us.
For more info, click here

How do you answer questions of atheists who say why does God let so much bad stuff happen, for example Tsunami.
When bad things happen, it's either a test for the believers, or to punish those violated His Laws.

Why Does Allah Allow Suffering and Evil in the World?

Bear also in mind that we cannot object to the Decree of Allaah 'cause Allaah (Exalted is He) said:
“He cannot be questioned as to what He does, while they will be questioned.” (al-Anbiya’ 23)
Also how can you explain the way we pray, i've heard non-muslims making fun saying we're going for some exercise. what is the wisdom behind all these different actions
Firstly, you have to understand that we [human beings] cannot fully grasp the infinite Wisdom of Allaah (Exalted is He) since we possess finite comprehension. I do not know the wisdom of the way we pray. Such futile questions raised by these non-muslims is nothing more than pure mockery.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
07-29-2005, 07:47 PM
To add to what Br. Kadafi has posted, I would like to quote Dr. Muzammil H. Siqqiqui who says:
Allah says in the Qur’an, “We see the turning of your face for guidance to the heavens, now we shall turn thy face towards a Qiblah that shall please you…” (2:144) It is very clear from this ayah, that the direction of the Qiblah was changed from Jerusalem to Mecca, because this is what Allah wanted and this was most pleasing to the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him and to the early community. It is totally wrong to say that the direction of the Qiblah was changed because of the Jewish position towards Islam. It is a historical fact that the Qiblah was changed in the 2nd years of the Hijrah, about 17 months after the migration of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, from Mecca to Medina. During this time the relations between the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him and the Jewish community of Medina were quite good. The opposition of the Jews and the breaching of the contracts with the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, started later. So there is no truth in this claim, that the Qiblah changed was a political action. It was purely a religious one, and a spiritual one. The Kabah was the original Qiblah of all the Prophets of Allah, peace be upon them all, even prophets Da’ud and Sulayman, peace be upon them. Even when they built the Masjid in Jerusalem, its Qiblah was towards the south, which is the direction of Mecca. The Kabah was supposed to be, from the beginning, the Qiblah of the believers. Muslims were asked only temporarily to turn towards Jerusalem, so that Allah may test them, in weather they will follow the command of Allah or not. As for as the claim that Muslims believe that the Miraj was a spiritual journey and not physical, this is not correct. Most of the Muslims believe that it was both spiritual and physical, only small groups of people take it as being only a spiritual journey. The Qur’an says, “Glory to be to him, who took his servant on a journey by night, from the Masjid Al-Haraam to the Masjid Al-Aqsa.” (17:1) The very words of this ayah indicate some extraordinary event. Allah, may he be glorified, speaks of his glory, majesty and greatness that he toke his servant during the night from one place to another for merely spiritual experiences, theses expressions are not used. The spiritual experience in visions and dreams happen to many people.

It should be pointed out that God is not in need of our praise or servitude, but it is we who are in need of serving God.

When non-muslims ask why we worship God so often or why we pray so often, I like to point out a few things.

First of all, the question comes from someone who doesn't understand the close relationship in Islam between the Creator and the creation. It is as if I were to ask someone why they speak to their parents or other family members so many times during the day. The answer is obvious, and that is communication is frequent between those who are close to eachother. Similarly, prayer is our opportunity to communicate with our Creator, to seek His Help, to open our heart to him.

Also, we need to look at all the blessings and favours that God has bestowed upon us. Even if we praised God constantly it would not be enough, for we will never be able to repay Him for the faith, family, wealth, food and shelter that He has blessed us with. Through praising God we grow and become stronger.

7) How do you answer questions of atheists who say why does God let so much bad stuff happen, for example Tsunami.
It's always either a test or a punishment. The article provided by Br. Kadafi should explain that insha'Allah.

Keep in mind that if there was no poverty, where would the test be to donate wealth? If there was no injustice, where would the test be to establish justice? If no violence, where would the test be to preserve peace?

Life is a test, and the reason why atheists don't understand is because they have no purpose in life.

We should explain that we pray in the way that Allah swt commanded us to pray, because this form of prayer is the most beautiful. In fact, it was the prayer of the prophets mentioned in the Bible as well, and I can provide references for that if you'd like. It is the same manner of prayer in which the angels glorify Allah swt in heaven.

The prayer consists of bowing and prostration not for excercise, but because these actions in prayer demonstrate complete submission to the Almighty Creator and the liberation of a soul from the enslavement of their personal desires into the service of their All-Knowing, Most-Merciful Lord.

I hope this helps.

Bittersteel
07-29-2005, 08:01 PM
wasn't there a thread about the two qiblas?

so when the Prophet saws first prayed he prayed towards Jerusalem though it was temporarily?

what's the difference between the miraj and Isra?

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-29-2005, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Aziz
what's the difference between the miraj and Isra?
Isra is the night journey (to Jerusalem), Miraaj is the ascension (into heaven).

Safa
07-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

This is being very one dimensional becasue one is ignoring the Akhirah. The reward one will be getting in the Akhirah will be far greater compared to what one suffered in the duniya. These disasters automatically bring one closer to Allah. It also separates the believers from the disbelievers. There is no such thing as pure evil in Islam; there is some good in everything SubhanAllah

root
07-31-2005, 11:16 AM
I think one should know when not to engage with morons. And I think individuals who criticise preyer as exercise are just being morons and thus not worthy of your time!!!!

A word of warning to scientific evidence in the Koran though. The Quran can only make a scientific comparison after it is discovered, thus you could be on a hiding to nothing for unfortunately no scientific knowledge has ever been gained as a direct result of your holy book........

Regards

Root

Mohsin
07-31-2005, 12:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by root

A word of warning to scientific evidence in the Koran though. The Quran can only make a scientific comparison after it is discovered, thus you could be on a hiding to nothing for unfortunately no scientific knowledge has ever been gained as a direct result of your holy book........

Regards

Root

I don't think this is true

Ibn Hafeez was a muslim and he discovered blood circulation 400 years after the Prophet SAW. 1000 years after the prophet Graham Henry used Ibn Hafeez's findings and made it know to the western world
Also it was arabs who made advancements in astronomy after the revelation of the Qu'ran and naturally they used verses in the glorious Qu'ran. There are several such examples i can only remember these two off the top off my head but i am sure another brother here can provide a link to a site about this

Regarding this topic, JazakAllah Khair for all these replies they've helped immensely. InshAllah if i have an more questions i will ask you guys again ;)

Abu Zakariya
07-31-2005, 12:31 PM
As-salaamu 'alaykum

Actually, Root...

ibn Hadjar al-'Asqalani refuted the scientists, in the 14th Century (I believe), by saying:

"A lot of anatomists are claiming that the sperm of the man doesn't play a part in the creation of the baby. They claim that it's only purpose is to make the menstrational blood to stiffen so that a baby can be created. But this opinion goes against the word of the Prophet, who told us that the man, with his sperm, contributes as well as the female."

It was not until 1759 that the first non-muslim anatomist, Caspar Friedrich Wolff, came with the theory of epigenes (which is the most popular theory which tells us that the embryo goes through stages in the development, first being an undifferentiated egg, in contrast to the then prevailing theory that a microscopical being just gets bigger and bigger as time goes).

So, you were wrong...

By the way, if you were right, that would still not take away the miraculous feature of the Qur'aan.
I also have to say that a whole lot of people exaggarate when it comes to these kind of things. The Qur'aan isn't a book of science, so every little thing shouldn't be interpreted into a statement about astronomy, anatomy etc.
One of the things that I do feel should be mentioned is the description of the development of the embryo, though.

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-31-2005, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by root
Hi Root,
I'm not sure why you're bringing this up in this thread when I already responded to your post in the following thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/showthread.php?t=3924
I'm still waiting for a response.

Thanks

czgibson
07-31-2005, 11:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kadafi

When bad things happen, it's either a test for the believers, or to punish those violated His Laws.

I find this idea a little worrying. Is it a common belief among Muslims that the tsunami was a test or a punishment? What exactly is the test for? That part I don't understand at all. If it is a punishment, I assume that means that the thousands of children and babies who died on that day were being punished for not being pious enough? I seriously cannot understand how anyone could think like this and still think of themselves as a good person.

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Hey Callum,
Muslims have a special outlook on life and the world. We believe that God has put us here as a test - those who do good deeds will be rewarded, and those who do bad deeds will be punished.

in the case of the tsunami, I believe it was a test for some and a punishment for others. For those people who sinned and thought that they would never be accountable to God - this was their punishment. However, this group represents a tiny minority of the much larger population that was affected.

Therefore, for most people it was a test. Many were tested with tragedy so that they may show patience. As God mentions in the Qur'an:
29:2-3 Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, "We believe", and that they will not be tested? We did test those before them, and Allah will certainly know those who are true from those who are false.

When we are put through severe trials it distinguishes those who have true faith in God from those who do not. Unfortunately, it is often tragedy which turns people to God as they realize that only material pleasures are only temporary and they can be taken away in a second. As God says in the Qur'an:
39:8 When some trouble toucheth man, he crieth unto his Lord, turning to Him in repentance: but when He bestoweth a favour upon him as from Himself, (man) doth forget what he cried and prayed for before

In fact, if you read the stories of those people who reverted to Islam, many of them lived very difficult lives and it was this sufferring which caused them to turn to God for help and guidance. One example that comes to mind is the story of Dr. Jeffery Lang, a math professor who was a former atheist. He rejected all religion because he couldn't understand why God would let him have an abusive father who constantly beat his mother. He couldn't understand why he had to go through the difficulties that he did, but he understood when he read the Qur'an, he understood the purpose of life.

Thus, the Tsunami was a test for many people, just as the Children of Israel were tested under their enslavement to Pharoah. As God mentions in the Qur'an:
2:49 And remember [O Children of Israel], We delivered you from the people of Pharaoh: They set you hard tasks and punishments, slaughtered your sons and spared your women-folk; therein was a tremendous trial from your Lord.

It was a test of faith, so that they would not despair but would have faith in God and do what is right.

But the Tsunami was also a test for others. It was a test for me and you, to see if we would lend help to those dying people. It was a test to see if the people of the world would be generous.

I encourage you to read the following link as it will help make things much more clear:
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544478

Peace!

czgibson
08-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I see that I misunderstood the punishment issue with regard to children and babies - silly me.

That was also a very interesting fatwa you directed me to - I particularly liked the point about driving. It certainly is a miracle that more people aren't hurt, the way some people drive!

The punishment issue I now think I understand, and it seems very logical from the Muslim point of view (or indeed any theistic point of view - Christians often use the same argument). I'm not yet totally clear on the test issue. I understand that Allah could be testing our charitable response to a suffering person, but surely you do not have to be a believer to be charitable? I myself sent some money to help the tsunami victims (a small act I know) and yet I am an atheist! Perhaps if I was a believer I would have done more to help - is that the implication of what you say?

From my point of view, the tsunami was an entirely natural disaster, with scientific causes that can be demonstrably ascertained. I see no need for any further explanation, but I am always interested to see how people who believe in God/Allah/JHVH respond to such questions.

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-02-2005, 12:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
That was also a very interesting fatwa you directed me to - I particularly liked the point about driving. It certainly is a miracle that more people aren't hurt, the way some people drive!
I'm glad you found it interesting. :brother:

I'm not yet totally clear on the test issue. I understand that Allah could be testing our charitable response to a suffering person, but surely you do not have to be a believer to be charitable? I myself sent some money to help the tsunami victims (a small act I know) and yet I am an atheist!
Okay, I see what you are saying. The answer to that is that you may be fulfilling the test of deeds, but you are not fulfilling the test of faith. It is a totally different aspect of the test, but for us to be truly successful, we need to complete the whole test.

It all comesback to a Muslim's perception of life. We believe that God has placed humanity here on earth as His viceroy, His deputy, to enjoin what is good and to forbid what is evil. We believe that He has created us out of His infinite love and mercy so that we may serve Him by returning that love in its deepest form - worship. So our position in this world is a temporary position of service, where we serve Our Creator by worshipping Him and taking care of His creation. Those who fulfill this task are rewarded in the next life.

Now the case of an atheist who does good deeds is that he may be doing part of his duty on earth, but he is missing the main part! Moreover, he doesn't even know why he is there to begin with! Atheism is a very dangerous position because believing that existence ends at death leads to materialism and a race to acquire benefits of this world at the expense of others. It also leads to a rejection of what atheists call 'traditional' values (what we call divinely ordained values) and thus we find secularism and immorality on the rise. With every movie that comes out, the tolerance of violence, drugs, nudity etc. all rise. Suicides are increasing as people don't realize their purpose in life.

Now there can obviously be a person who does good deeds but if he is not fulfilling his major role, its not very effective. I can give you an analogy - say someone is hired for a job, and there are certain job requirements, one of which is that they must come to work in professional attire. Now what if someone fulfills this requirement, they always come to work in a spotless suit, yet they don't know how to do any of the other tasks they are supposed to perform! They don't have any background education, no experience, none of the skills, in fact, they don't even realize that they have this job!

Such a person would not make a very good employee. So, to me, atheists and similar non-muslims who do good deeds are like employees in suits without any other abilities, if you'll forgive me for saying so. :D

Perhaps if I was a believer I would have done more to help - is that the implication of what you say?
That's part of it as well, because then you would have to do it as a religious obligation, but part of it is also as I mentioned, that your deeds would be more fruitful if they were reflective of faith in God.

From my point of view, the tsunami was an entirely natural disaster, with scientific causes that can be demonstrably ascertained.
I don't see any conflict with your view and mine. God created the laws of science to begin with, He knows how to use the tools He made.

Warm regards :)

Bittersteel
08-02-2005, 08:10 AM
I heard angels gaurd the Kaaba sharif.How come it was then once partially destroyed and also the black stone?

czgibson
08-02-2005, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl

Now the case of an atheist who does good deeds is that he may be doing part of his duty on earth, but he is missing the main part! Moreover, he doesn't even know why he is there to begin with! Atheism is a very dangerous position because believing that existence ends at death leads to materialism and a race to acquire benefits of this world at the expense of others. It also leads to a rejection of what atheists call 'traditional' values (what we call divinely ordained values) and thus we find secularism and immorality on the rise. With every movie that comes out, the tolerance of violence, drugs, nudity etc. all rise. Suicides are increasing as people don't realize their purpose in life.
You make many points in this succinct paragraph. Let me answer them one by one:

1. I absolutely agree that an atheist usually does not know why he is on Earth to begin with. The "meaning of life" is, from my point of view, a mystery. However, this does not upset me in the slightest.

2. I believe, as you say, that my existence will end at death. The word materialism, however, can be interpreted in two ways. Materialism is, at the moment, the dominant philosophical view in Western thought, and I subscribe to it. It is the view that all that exists is matter (i.e. no gods, ghosts, spirits, souls etc.) The other way of interpreting it is "the race for material gain". I do not subscribe to this view. I use money to keep myself alive, and I try not to waste money on unnecessary items. It upsets me greatly to see people waste money when there are people starving in the world. I am opposed to extreme forms of capitalism which tend in this direction, and for this reason I think the Islamic banking system is far more ethical than the standard Western banking system.

3. Regarding the atheists' supposed rejection of traditional values, I respectfully disagree. I believe, like many atheists, that the ethical imperatives of most religions are admirable. Atheism is a metaphysical position; it should have nothing to do with morality. I believe morality is important as it helps humans get along with each other, and the more moral people are, the less likely it is that wars and conflicts will occur. You say that secularism and immorality are on the rise - I do not think you should yoke these two things together. They are not mutually dependent. I am very much in favour of secularism, but I oppose immorality. With regard to your point about movies, I agree that our tolerance for violence etc. is increasing. The increase in violence does worry me somewhat, but I have no problem with drugs or nudity, as long as such actions do not harm others. I believe it is up to parents to decide what their children should be watching, and any adults who are upset by a film should simply switch it off or leave the cinema.

Such a person would not make a very good employee. So, to me, atheists and similar non-muslims who do good deeds are like employees in suits without any other abilities, if you'll forgive me for saying so. :D
I am always ready to forgive, especially in an interesting discussion like this. :)

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Hi Callum,
1. I absolutely agree that an atheist usually does not know why he is on Earth to begin with. The "meaning of life" is, from my point of view, a mystery. However, this does not upset me in the slightest.
I find this puzzling. Does it not upset you to know that you may find 5, 10, or 20 years from now that you have been wasting your life? Doesn't it upset you to know that you may be completely missing the purpose of life while getting caught up with worldly gains? I would appreciate it if you could explain this a little.

2. I believe, as you say, that my existence will end at death. The word materialism, however, can be interpreted in two ways. Materialism is, at the moment, the dominant philosophical view in Western thought, and I subscribe to it. It is the view that all that exists is matter (i.e. no gods, ghosts, spirits, souls etc.)
Yes, you're right although I normally use materialism for the second explanation you provide:
The other way of interpreting it is "the race for material gain". I do not subscribe to this view. I use money to keep myself alive, and I try not to waste money on unnecessary items. It upsets me greatly to see people waste money when there are people starving in the world. I am opposed to extreme forms of capitalism which tend in this direction, and for this reason I think the Islamic banking system is far more ethical than the standard Western banking system.
I'm impressed by your broad minded views, but would you agree with me if I said that such views are becoming rare?

3. Regarding the atheists' supposed rejection of traditional values, I respectfully disagree. I believe, like many atheists, that the ethical imperatives of most religions are admirable. Atheism is a metaphysical position; it should have nothing to do with morality. I believe morality is important as it helps humans get along with each other, and the more moral people are, the less likely it is that wars and conflicts will occur. You say that secularism and immorality are on the rise - I do not think you should yoke these two things together. They are not mutually dependent. I am very much in favour of secularism, but I oppose immorality.
In my opinion, Atheism naturally gives rise to secularism which in return removes the purpose from people's lives. This in turn leads to hedonism which I feel leads to immorality.

With regard to your point about movies, I agree that our tolerance for violence etc. is increasing. The increase in violence does worry me somewhat, but I have no problem with drugs or nudity, as long as such actions do not harm others.
Do you have a problem with the fact that drugs and nudity are becoming more and more rampant in society, due to the influence of the media? Do you not see that as reflective of an absense of moral values? Would you like to live in a society with a high level of drugs and nudity?

Do you see any problems with the fact that western society is heading towards the image of a promiscuous society where drugs/nudity are rampant? Do you think that this could be a productive society that would better humanity or would it only become further enslaved to selfish desires and lusts?

I believe it is up to parents to decide what their children should be watching, and any adults who are upset by a film should simply switch it off or leave the cinema.
According to such a criteria, children will never be able to enter a cinema or even leave the seclusion of their houses again!

Anyway, Callum, I think a discussion of the purpose of life is most important here, so I'm going to recommend either of the following links:

Purpose of Life - Part 1(picks up after the first minute) and Part 2 (audio lecture)

What is the Purpose of Life? (Article)

Both are excellent quality discussions on the purpose of life from an Islamic perspective, and they should be the first thing one should study when looking into Islam. Please take some time to either read or listen, I'm sure you will find it very interesting. :brother:

Peace!

czgibson
08-03-2005, 02:05 AM
Hello again, Ansar al-'Adl,

This discussion has got to the stage where we are writing very long posts to each other, as might be expected! If people find this annoying then I am happy to stop - but I would rather carry on the discussion, and represent the atheist point of view. You can use me to sharpen your debating skills (which are very good, I might add). On another forum I got told off for "hijacking" a thread arguing about George W Bush with another person.

I find this puzzling. Does it not upset you to know that you may find 5, 10, or 20 years from now that you have been wasting your life? Doesn't it upset you to know that you may be completely missing the purpose of life while getting caught up with worldly gains? I would appreciate it if you could explain this a little.
I would ask this question: Who says life has to have a purpose? It's certainly not obvious to me that this must be the case. There are two kinds of living thing in the world, plants and animals. I believe the purpose of life for humans (I would rather call it the aim of life) is the same as the purpose of life for whales, horses, and other animals: to survive and reproduce. This could include making friends and getting on with people - useful skills for surival. As I said before, the idea that the purpose of life is a mystery does not upset me at all.

I'm impressed by your broad minded views, but would you agree with me if I said that such views are becoming rare?
Well, perhaps the view about Islamic banking is quite rare in the West (although in recent years we have seen a surge in the anti-capitalist movement, which I believe springs from a very similar impulse), but I think you will find that most atheists applaud the moral systems of Islam, Christianity and other religions. (Can I also point out that the moral codes of most religions are, at heart, very similar in content?)

In my opinion, Atheism naturally gives rise to secularism which in return removes the purpose from people's lives. This in turn leads to hedonism which I feel leads to immorality.
Perhaps there are some cases where what you say is true, but I believe that someone calling themselves an atheist and then assuming they can behave selfishly and immorally has got completely the wrong idea. Most serious, philosophical atheists would see no reason to abandon the moral codes at the heart of religion.

Do you have a problem with the fact that drugs and nudity are becoming more and more rampant in society, due to the influence of the media? Do you not see that as reflective of an absense of moral values?...
Do you see any problems with the fact that western society is heading towards the image of a promiscuous society where drugs/nudity are rampant? Do you think that this could be a productive society that would better humanity or would it only become further enslaved to selfish desires and lusts?
I do not believe these issues have an impact on morality, as long as they do not harm others. In my view, people should be free to take drugs if that is their choice. Education on drugs is something that is badly needed all over the world. If used in moderation, with full knowledge of their effects, the impact on a person's health from using most drugs is minimal. I could go on and on about this, but perhaps in another thread, as it is off-topic.

With regard to nudity, again I am liberal. People should be free to go to nudist beaches if they wish (as they do in huge numbers all over Europe, particularly in Germany), also, people should be free to view pornography if they wish. The one proviso that I would have about nudity is that it should be allowed only in controlled areas - not in the street, in full public view for example.

Your last point is fascinating - would a society where nudity and drugs are rife be productive for humanity? Well, why not? Look at the ancient Greeks. That society was actually far more liberal than I would like on these issues, and yet I cannot think of a society that has done more for civilization.

According to such a criteria, children will never be able to enter a cinema or even leave the seclusion of their houses again!
Perhaps we are judging by different criteria, but I'm afraid I don't understand you here. A children's film, with a U certificate (in Britain that is) is very unlikely to include drugs or nudity. In fact, I can state categorically that it would not include such things. A film for people aged 15 and over, maybe.

Anyway, Callum, I think a discussion of the purpose of life is most important here, so I'm going to recommend either of the following links:
I was only able to read the article here because of my inferior computer, but this is where the differences between us become most clear, I am afraid. I should point out that I have a philosophy degree, and that the initial arguments regarding a creator/deity presented in this article are so old, and have been refuted so many times by so many eminent philosophers (Kant, Hume, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche and Russell to name but five), that it is just impossible to take them seriously. I am sorry if this sounds offensive, but it is the view you will find in Universities throughout the Western world. The history of the Qu'ran and Islam that follows is very interesting, but it is somewhat undermined by the weak opening arguments. (I do not mean to belittle the Qu'ran or Islam here - they are together among the very greatest contributions to world civilization. That fact is unarguable.)

One of the arguments used seems to me to prove just the opposite of what the author intends - this is the point that all human civilizations throughout history have believed in a god, gods or a creator of some sort. This surely shows the limitless capacity of human ingenuity, not that there therefore must be a god. Baal, Ra, Zeus and many others are gods that are now "dead" i.e. people do not believe in them any more. Could this be the future of the gods that people believe in today?

Also, I must point out one factual inaccuracy in the article - the author speaks of "Buddhist gods". In fact Buddhism is an atheistic religion - Buddhists do not believe in any gods at all. The first that he mentions is "Gautama". This is the surname of the first Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama is his full name). Buddha was not a god, but a man.

Finally, here are two quotes from the article:

The theory of evolution says that man evolved from the ape, rather than being created by a Creator. Although this theory has no academic or scientific substance, it gained favor with so many people because it appealed to the doubts they had about the God that they were told to believe in.
The creation of the universe is explained by astrophysicists in a widely accepted phenomenon, popularly known as the “Big Bang.” It is supported by observational and experimental data gathered by astronomers and astrophysicists for decades.
Can you see the problem here? The person who wrote this has very little genuine understanding of science if he believes these two statements are true. He incorrectly describes the Big Bang as a "widely accepted phenomenon". It is in fact a theory, just like evolution, only there is far less evidence for it. There is plenty of evidence for an expanding universe, but the Big Bang at the beginning is little more than a speculation. It is also relatively controversial among scientists, unlike evolution.

Right, I must stop. This post is too long already. I apologise for this, and I also apologise if any of my words are considered offensive. I do not wish to upset anybody, I am merely trying to explain why you will find so many atheists in the West. If you can look through these arguments and come up with better ones to answer them, you may just be able to change the world.

Peace to all!

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-03-2005, 04:01 AM
Greetings Callum,
I don't have that much time so I'm just going to respond to some of your main points here and make my post a little bit more brief (maybe that's a good thing :D )
You can use me to sharpen your debating skills (which are very good, I might add). On another forum I got told off for "hijacking" a thread arguing about George W Bush with another person.
Thanks for your nice comments. :) Don't worry, I'm enjoying this discussion.

I would ask this question: Who says life has to have a purpose? It's certainly not obvious to me that this must be the case.
You are indeed representing the position of most atheists that there is no purpose in life. Despite the fact that such a belief is problematic for all those who are sufferring around the world and wonder at the reason behind their sufferring, and for those who wonder at the goals of humanity, and for those who believe that we are more than a mass of chemical reactions, I would like to focus on whether such a belief is plausible or not.

The purpose is the reason for which something came into existence, and continues to exist. To deny any purpose in life is to say that the cause of our existence was purely accidental. (I would rather discuss this point in greater detail in a thread on the existence of God)

It logically follows that as we have come into existence by accident, there is no significance to our existence and therefore no action of ours can cause either harm or good. It may be percieved as harmful or good by those around us, but in the grand scheme of the universe, it makes no difference, it is neutral. Hence, according to such a view there is absoloutely nothing wrong with exploiting others for one's own benefits as any pain and suffering experienced by others is as insignificant and meaningless as their pleasure and joy. Such a philosophy can be disastrous for humanity. It aids in understanding the staggering statistics on suicides and homicides in the world, but particularly in materialist societies.

There are two kinds of living thing in the world, plants and animals.
Are you grouping archaebacteria, protists, eubacteria, and fungi with plants? :D

I believe the purpose of life for humans (I would rather call it the aim of life) is the same as the purpose of life for whales, horses, and other animals: to survive and reproduce.
Now you seem reluctant about your previous position that there is no purpose in life so you cite the evolutionary aim in life. Yet survival is not a purpose as mentioned in the referred article which said "living is not an end by itself". Survival means continuing to live, so the purpose of life is to continue to live? Its analogous to saying that the purpose of a light is to keep it on.

This could include making friends and getting on with people - useful skills for surival.
Sure, social skills can get you a better job and lifestyle, but it could just as easily decrease your chances of survival. It's influence on one's life is as unpredicatable as life itself.

As I said before, the idea that the purpose of life is a mystery does not upset me at all.
Now you resign to the position that you simply do not know the purpose of your existence, and consequently you know not whether you are fulfilling the purpose of your existence or not.

but I think you will find that most atheists applaud the moral systems of Islam, Christianity and other religions.
This was the point I was referring to that I found rare, not the banking position. I have found most atheists to be much more skeptical of religion and doubtful of any system built on faith in God. It is agnostics that usually hold position similar to yours. Perhaps you will find that your uncertainty makes you more of an agnostic?

Can I also point out that the moral codes of most religions are, at heart, very similar in content?
Very true, and in Islam this is understood because all Prophets were originally sent with the same message of Islam (submission to the One God), yet deviations crept in amongst their religions, gradually giving rise to the other religions we find which are understood to be the result of diversions from the Islam.

Perhaps there are some cases where what you say is true, but I believe that someone calling themselves an atheist and then assuming they can behave selfishly and immorally has got completely the wrong idea. Most serious, philosophical atheists would see no reason to abandon the moral codes at the heart of religion.
I think this is because in this stage in history, these atheists are still heavily influenced by religion, living in a society heavily influenced by religion. Yet, you cannot deny that as atheism/secularism increases in North America, the concept of subjective morality becomes more and more evident and society is continuously progressing towards what people of faith see as immoral. Perhaps what you may find in society 20 years from now would be so immoral that atheists of today would be shocked, but for people living in that future age, it will be the norm.

I do not believe these issues have an impact on morality, as long as they do not harm others.
What about harming themselves? Is suicide immoral? Are drugs not prolonged suicide?

Education on drugs is something that is badly needed all over the world.
I think education has little to do with it now. I know hundreds of people who know all the effects of drugs yet they continue their drug abuse. And when I talk about drugs being on the rise, I'm not talking about anything in moderation, I am talking about the things which detroy one's life and shatter their very sense of reality. That's on the rise. Drug abuse.

With regard to nudity, again I am liberal. People should be free to go to nudist beaches if they wish (as they do in huge numbers all over Europe, particularly in Germany), also, people should be free to view pornography if they wish. The one proviso that I would have about nudity is that it should be allowed only in controlled areas - not in the street, in full public view for example.
Again, you miss the point I'm making on the subject. I'm not talking about the nudity of a person in a secluded area, in a seperate beach, in their bedrooms, in their washrooms, etc. I am talking about nudity in the open, on the street, in public. I am talking about society becoming a nudist colony.

Would you have a problem with that vision? Would you find such a society acceptable to live in?

Your last point is fascinating - would a society where nudity and drugs are rife be productive for humanity? Well, why not? Look at the ancient Greeks. That society was actually far more liberal than I would like on these issues, and yet I cannot think of a society that has done more for civilization.
The greeks also had rigid laws governing their conduct in public and they had many etiquettes as well. To suggest that they lived the wild promiscuous lifestyle would be highly inaccurate.

Even in society today, at least professionals recognize a certain lifestyle as "lower-class" when it includes high levels of nudity and drugs. It is considered below the people at the top of society.

Perhaps we are judging by different criteria, but I'm afraid I don't understand you here. A children's film, with a U certificate (in Britain that is) is very unlikely to include drugs or nudity. In fact, I can state categorically that it would not include such things. A film for people aged 15 and over, maybe.
With respect to children, since the growing trends go against the content in children's films, we find that children's films slowly begin to contain some of the material which would not have been found in such films decades ago, or the children's films lose popularity and they begin to watch the same popular films with immoral content.

Either way, they are being desensitized. Adults are being desensitized. What someone finds on TV today would shock a person living in the west only a few decades ago. There are video games coming out that have begun to feature complete nudity and drugs. I think this trend should worry anyone with a sense of concern for the welfare of humanity.

I should point out that I have a philosophy degree, and that the initial arguments regarding a creator/deity presented in this article are so old, and have been refuted so many times by so many eminent philosophers (Kant, Hume, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche and Russell to name but five), that it is just impossible to take them seriously.
I didn't refer the article to you for its discussion on the existence of God, but rather for its discussion on the purpose of existence from an Islamic perspective. Naturally, any article on the purpose of life would have to touch on the issue of God's existence but it does not go into much depth.

And I agree that the arguments from 'intelligent design' are familiar to everyone by now, they are nothing new. I would prefer to dicuss the existence of God in a seperate thread which I will create after this post.

I am sorry if this sounds offensive
No offense taken, ;)

One of the arguments used seems to me to prove just the opposite of what the author intends - this is the point that all human civilizations throughout history have believed in a god, gods or a creator of some sort. This surely shows the limitless capacity of human ingenuity, not that there therefore must be a god. Baal, Ra, Zeus and many others are gods that are now "dead" i.e. people do not believe in them any more. Could this be the future of the gods that people believe in today?
Actually, this argument is very important to the discussion, and I have used it myself in my discussions with atheists. The argument is that human beings have basically always accepted the existence of a single superior being since the dawn of humanity. This belief itself would be difficult to explain by atheits and many argue that human beings have progressed from superstition to polytheism to monotheism, yet I have explained in other discussions why this is not plausible.

Also, I must point out one factual inaccuracy in the article - the author speaks of "Buddhist gods". In fact Buddhism is an atheistic religion - Buddhists do not believe in any gods at all. The first that he mentions is "Gautama". This is the surname of the first Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama is his full name). Buddha was not a god, but a man.
I agree, you are correct. However, the Islamic understanding of "god" or Ilah is actually anything which is worshipped (thus the Qur'an often describes people who have made their lusts their Ilah) so according to an Islamic understanding the author is correct as well.

Can you see the problem here? The person who wrote this has very little genuine understanding of science if he believes these two statements are true. He incorrectly describes the Big Bang as a "widely accepted phenomenon". It is in fact a theory, just like evolution, only there is far less evidence for it. There is plenty of evidence for an expanding universe, but the Big Bang at the beginning is little more than a speculation. It is also relatively controversial among scientists, unlike evolution.
The quote on evolution is undoubtedly inaccurate. However, the quote on the Big Bang is referring to a collection of theories which share the notion of a Big Bang. The majority of theories supported by scientists are actually modifications of the Big Bang theory. As the wikipedia online encyclopedia states in its discussion of difficulties with the Big Bang theory:
Though such aspects of standard cosmology remain inadequately explained, the vast majority of astronomers and physicists accept that the close agreement between Big Bang theory and observation have firmly established all the basic parts of the theory.
So I beg to differ on your point that the Big Bange theory is not established.

Regards

ruunraho
08-03-2005, 04:11 AM
i thin you're right brother

czgibson
08-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Greetings Callum,
I don't have that much time so I'm just going to respond to some of your main points here and make my post a little bit more brief (maybe that's a good thing :D )
Absolutely.
The purpose is the reason for which something came into existence, and continues to exist. To deny any purpose in life is to say that the cause of our existence was purely accidental. (I would rather discuss this point in greater detail in a thread on the existence of God)
Yes, this point belongs in a different thread.

It logically follows that as we have come into existence by accident, there is no significance to our existence and therefore no action of ours can cause either harm or good. It may be percieved as harmful or good by those around us, but in the grand scheme of the universe, it makes no difference, it is neutral. Hence, according to such a view there is absoloutely nothing wrong with exploiting others for one's own benefits as any pain and suffering experienced by others is as insignificant and meaningless as their pleasure and joy.
I disagree with this point. I try to behave morally, as I think everyone does, but when I do, I do it solely with consideration for others on this planet, not due to some supposed higher purpose. Even on this view there is clearly something wrong with behaving immorally - it harms others. I think that is all that is necessary on this point.

Are you grouping archaebacteria, protists, eubacteria, and fungi with plants? :D
Good point! I forgot about these microorganisms and such like.

Now you seem reluctant about your previous position that there is no purpose in life so you cite the evolutionary aim in life. Yet survival is not a purpose as mentioned in the referred article which said "living is not an end by itself". Survival means continuing to live, so the purpose of life is to continue to live? Its analogous to saying that the purpose of a light is to keep it on.
Yes, from the Darwinist point of view, the aim of life is continuing to live. Beyond that, it is a mystery.

This was the point I was referring to that I found rare, not the banking position. I have found most atheists to be much more skeptical of religion and doubtful of any system built on faith in God. It is agnostics that usually hold position similar to yours. Perhaps you will find that your uncertainty makes you more of an agnostic?
But moral systems do not have to be built on faith in God. Buddhists, for example, share many of the moral tenets of theistic religions. The point is that morality is not necessarily God-dependent. I'm not sure that the point about agnostics vs. atheists re: morality is that clear-cut, as I'm sure you would acknowledge. I have been an atheist from quite a young age, and I can assure that I am entirely sceptical about all religions! However, as I have said, this should not have any impact on moral beliefs.

I think this is because in this stage in history, these atheists are still heavily influenced by religion, living in a society heavily influenced by religion. Yet, you cannot deny that as atheism/secularism increases in North America, the concept of subjective morality becomes more and more evident and society is continuously progressing towards what people of faith see as immoral. Perhaps what you may find in society 20 years from now would be so immoral that atheists of today would be shocked, but for people living in that future age, it will be the norm.
Perhaps subjective morality is on the rise, but I think that people who assume that by being atheists they can then invent their own morality have not thought about their beliefs very carefully. I would also say that N. America is a much more religious area than Europe. In the Western world, creationist views are very rare outside the USA, and Christian fundamentalists are far more common in the USA than anywhere else.

What about harming themselves? Is suicide immoral? Are drugs not prolonged suicide?
I'm not actually sure that suicide is immoral. In some cases, yes, in others, no. (I do know, however, that suicide is forbidden in Islam.)

I think education has little to do with it now. I know hundreds of people who know all the effects of drugs yet they continue their drug abuse. And when I talk about drugs being on the rise, I'm not talking about anything in moderation, I am talking about the things which detroy one's life and shatter their very sense of reality. That's on the rise. Drug abuse.
Well, fair enough. People who use drugs to this extent have clearly lost control.

Again, you miss the point I'm making on the subject. I'm not talking about the nudity of a person in a secluded area, in a seperate beach, in their bedrooms, in their washrooms, etc. I am talking about nudity in the open, on the street, in public. I am talking about society becoming a nudist colony.

Would you have a problem with that vision? Would you find such a society acceptable to live in?
I would not find such a society acceptable, but I would dipute the claim that Western society is headed in this direction. (Btw, I don't count women in short skirts or bikinis as nudity. I live in England, and I've never seen anyone walking around the street naked. It's too cold!)

The greeks also had rigid laws governing their conduct in public and they had many etiquettes as well. To suggest that they lived the wild promiscuous lifestyle would be highly inaccurate.
They did have their rules of etiquette, but they were not averse to conducting their Olympic games in the nude. They considered the naked body a thing of beauty, which accounts for all the naked statues and sculptures we find from ancient Greece. I would not say that they led wildly promiscuous lives, but their sexual morals were very different from those of the modern world - Eastern or Western. For instance, many (perhaps most) adult Greek males were what we would now call paedophiles. They considered sex with a woman to be purely functional, to reproduce, but for pleasure they preferred young boys.

Even in society today, at least professionals recognize a certain lifestyle as "lower-class" when it includes high levels of nudity and drugs. It is considered below the people at the top of society.
I would dispute this claim with regard to drugs. Cocaine use is far more prevalent among the upper classes, certainly in the UK. It has long been regarded as a "posh" drug, and only recently has it become affordable for people with less money.

With respect to children, since the growing trends go against the content in children's films, we find that children's films slowly begin to contain some of the material which would not have been found in such films decades ago, or the children's films lose popularity and they begin to watch the same popular films with immoral content.
Perhaps, but nudity or drugs? I haven't seen any of these things in a children's film.

Either way, they are being desensitized. Adults are being desensitized. What someone finds on TV today would shock a person living in the west only a few decades ago. There are video games coming out that have begun to feature complete nudity and drugs. I think this trend should worry anyone with a sense of concern for the welfare of humanity.
I see your point, but I still think that adults should be allowed to make up their own minds what they choose to watch. I would draw the line at anything deliberately hateful, though.

I didn't refer the article to you for its discussion on the existence of God, but rather for its discussion on the purpose of existence from an Islamic perspective. Naturally, any article on the purpose of life would have to touch on the issue of God's existence but it does not go into much depth.

And I agree that the arguments from 'intelligent design' are familiar to everyone by now, they are nothing new. I would prefer to dicuss the existence of God in a seperate thread which I will create after this post.
OK, see you there!

Actually, this argument is very important to the discussion, and I have used it myself in my discussions with atheists. The argument is that human beings have basically always accepted the existence of a single superior being since the dawn of humanity. This belief itself would be difficult to explain by atheits and many argue that human beings have progressed from superstition to polytheism to monotheism, yet I have explained in other discussions why this is not plausible.
Not all cultures had one superior god, some cultures had many gods; I will need to look out for your discussion of polytheism - is it on this board?

I agree, you are correct. However, the Islamic understanding of "god" or Ilah is actually anything which is worshipped (thus the Qur'an often describes people who have made their lusts their Ilah) so according to an Islamic understanding the author is correct as well.
OK, I see there is a special use of this word. However, I think I'm right in saying that Buddha is more respected than worshipped. In the Zen Buddhist tradition (which always has to be different!) the idea of worshipping Buddha is actively discouraged. There is a famous quote from a Zen master: "If you see the Buddha, kill him!"

The quote on evolution is undoubtedly inaccurate. However, the quote on the Big Bang is referring to a collection of theories which share the notion of a Big Bang. The majority of theories supported by scientists are actually modifications of the Big Bang theory. As the wikipedia online encyclopedia states in its discussion of difficulties with the Big Bang theory:
Though such aspects of standard cosmology remain inadequately explained, the vast majority of astronomers and physicists accept that the close agreement between Big Bang theory and observation have firmly established all the basic parts of the theory.
So I beg to differ on your point that the Big Bange theory is not established.
OK, perhaps I was exaggerating, but the Big Bang is still a "best guess", with far less evidence for it than evolution. Astronomers agree on it because there is currently no better theory, not because they believe it must be true.

This is proving to be a most fruitful discussion from my side - I am learning things about the Islamic perspective that I had never considered before. Thank you!

Regards :)

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Hello Callum,
I disagree with this point. I try to behave morally, as I think everyone does, but when I do, I do it solely with consideration for others on this planet, not due to some supposed higher purpose. Even on this view there is clearly something wrong with behaving immorally - it harms others. I think that is all that is necessary on this point.
Who defines what is moral and immoral?
And, what about harming oneself?
And what if harming others brings some benefit to oneself?

These are dangerous questions that indicate the direction in which many atheists head.

Yes, from the Darwinist point of view, the aim of life is continuing to live. Beyond that, it is a mystery.
Now that you've accepted that you don't know the purpose of life, are you willing to embark on a journey to discover the purpose - A discovery that could completely revolutionize your life and change your outlook on the world? It is a discovery that will grant the innerpeace that people hunt for throughout their lives yet they fail to find it in material pleasures.

But moral systems do not have to be built on faith in God. Buddhists, for example, share many of the moral tenets of theistic religions.
I was not referring only to God, but the spiritual concepts associated with faith in God. Although Buddhism is silent on the existence of God, its philosophy directs its followers to alleviate suffering in order to make reality more clear.

If one believes there is no purpose to their daily life, there is no long term significance to their actions, it begins to bend morality to suit themselves. There is no fear of accountability, only of the justice system built on traditional religious values. But everything is changing with secularism.

Perhaps subjective morality is on the rise, but I think that people who assume that by being atheists they can then invent their own morality have not thought about their beliefs very carefully.
Which beliefs? What is wrong with such a view from an atheistic perspective?

I'm not actually sure that suicide is immoral. In some cases, yes, in others, no.
This explains why suicides are becoming so common in secular countries. Not knowing the purpose to one's existence easily leads to wishing to end one's existence in times of suffering. This is why I feel that secularism is a step backward for humanity and civilization. Atheists are unable to find inner peace.

Morality defines good and bad behaviour. Do you think that suicide is good behaviour i.e. moral? Believing the termination of one's life to be acceptable is an admission that life is meaningless.

I would not find such a society acceptable, but I would dipute the claim that Western society is headed in this direction.
Although I would have thought that such a thing is self-evident, I will temporarily ignore the case of the west and focus merely on the society that you find unacceptable.

Why do you find such a society unacceptable? Would you consider it immoral? What problems do you see with such a society? If you knew of a society like that, what would that say to you about the kind of people who live there? Good things or bad things?

You make an interesting comment:
(Btw, I don't count women in short skirts or bikinis as nudity.
Who decides what nudity is? Here you are making the distinction between what may be a few inches of cloth, yet society has continually reduced that amount of cloth, producing clothing that is more and more revealing. Eventually there won't be any clothing.

But my main point is that you seem to agree that there should be some kinds of limits and restrictions for an acceptable society, yet you determine these limits based on your whims, not any solid criteria. You have been desenstized to a certain level of nudity, which you no longer consider bad, yet anything beyond that you would find unacceptable. It's safe to say that there are people who have been desensitived even more than you, and would find higher levels of nudity acceptable.

We find a problem now. The atheist is in need of the same definite standards which he had previously rejected. He has rejected his guide and now he finds himself lost as to the direction society should take. And gradually, the direction is influenced by personal desires and lusts, and the standards drop lower and lower.

This is the case when the creation attempts to decide what it best for itself. But only the Creator knows what the optimal conditions are for the creation's success.

I would not say that they led wildly promiscuous lives, but their sexual morals were very different from those of the modern world - Eastern or Western.
In which case, I don't think they can be used as an example of a productive society that has abandoned all etiquettes.

OK, see you there!
Thread is here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/showthread.php?t=4111

Not all cultures had one superior god, some cultures had many gods; I will need to look out for your discussion of polytheism - is it on this board?
It was on another board, but I quoted it on this board here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/showpost...0&postcount=24

If you would like to respond to my points made in the above post, you may do so in this thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/showthread.php?t=3115

To conclude, I would say that the problem for an atheist is that they will never be able to attain success in their lives since they have no idea what true succes is, and most are not even concerned with finding out what it is. All they can achieve is temporary pleasure, which is meaningless once they return to the earth.

Unfortunately, there are many great people who are atheists, and all that they would need for true fulfillment and inner peace is the sense of purpose that the Qur'an inspires in human beings.

Regards

jitty
11-29-2005, 10:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by kadafi

A scientific view of the matter is provided by islamonline.net:
The hygienic value of circumcision has today been generally conceded, and some physicians recommend the operation as a routine measure for all male infants, it is part of the routine of bathing an uncircumcised boy, to draw back the foreskin and sponge the head of the penis. This is for general cleanliness and also to remove pasty white secretion called smegma, which accumulates under the foreskin and may lead to local irritation unless it is regularly cleansed. Whenever a new born is found to have a tight foreskin (phimosis), the physician usually recommends circumcision.
There is also the Medical Benefits from Circumcision by Dr. Brian J. Morris, from Circ-Online
Surely this is biased as it is a qoute from an islamic source?

For the record, the qoute is full of errors. An uncircumcised boy does not have to have the foreskin drawn back to clean it. In fact doctors highly discourage this among parents. It is parents who think it needs cleaning. Infact, after about the age of 6 it automatically begins to retract as it becomes seperated from the glans.

There may be benefits to circumcision, but surely if it was the way nature intended who are we to take it off?

I believe was carried out in the middleeast where tempertures were high and there were desert like conditions. Water was a scarce resource, and cleaning the foreskin daily was difficult. So it was recommended to take it off. And now it has become a worldwide phenomenon because it was carried out by a prophet.

However in modern society there is no need for it. Infact there are many more advantages of having a foreskin, than for not.

There is a small chance that a child may suffer from phimosis (1%) However circumcision is not the real answer. It is common misconception to think it is. Doctors can prescribe special creams that will help loosen the foreskin. Circumcision is carried out by doctors as the easy way out.

In the UK and Europe and other parts of the world (apart from islamic countries) the majority of males are uncircumcised - natural --- the way god intended.

Mohsin
11-29-2005, 01:57 PM
The article was based on non-uslamic sources, go to http://www.circinfo.com/, it's from a non-muslim site.

jitty
11-29-2005, 02:05 PM
"Circumcision, or removal of the foreskin, is an operation of great antiquity. As a magical or initiation rite it was introduced independently by aboriginal tribes in Australia, Africa and the Americas. Circumcision was practised by the Egyptians of 3,000 B.C., at first as a privilege of the nobility, but it later became the custom for all males. Presumably what started as a religious rite was found to be a useful hygienic measure in a hot climate. The Jews learned from the Egyptians and incorporated ritual circumcision into their religion and later the Moslem faith adopted the same custom. In more recent history there are records of the operation being performed for abnormalities of the foreskin which interfered with passing water or sexual intercourse."

http://www.circinfo.com/guide_to_decision/index.html

So its a custom. A ritual. Nothing to do with Islam.

jitty
11-29-2005, 02:07 PM
If God is so great why did he create foreskin? Why do all male mamals in the animal kingdom have foreskins?

Muezzin
11-29-2005, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jitty
If God is so great why did he create foreskin? Why do all male mamals in the animal kingdom have foreskins?
Freud would have something to say about this :p

By the way, circumsicion has various physical benefits. I'll not breach forum rules by posting them here explicitly. Google's good for stuff like that.

And the author of the article you quoted can't spell 'Muslim'.

jitty
11-29-2005, 09:05 PM
"physical benefits" aside, why is it carried out? Just because the prophet did so? Is that the reason? Cos it doesnt make sense to do it for "physical benefits"

There are many more advanatages of having it.

And what is the answer to my above question? if od is so great why not make us born without a foreskin? It serves its purpose scientifically, so why did god not create us without one? and why all mamals have foreskin?

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Hi Jitty,
The main reason why Muslims circumcise is because it is the command of God. We believe this life is a test, and God gives us simple commands to follow - if we obey we will be rewarded. Circumcision is prescribed in Islam for males, in fact it is a tradition amongst all the abrahamic faiths. It was not simply a cultural custom that was 'picked up'.

Regards

jitty
11-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Hi Jitty,
The main reason why Muslims circumcise is because it is the command of God. We believe this life is a test, and God gives us simple commands to follow - if we obey we will be rewarded. Circumcision is prescribed in Islam for males, in fact it is a tradition amongst all the abrahamic faiths. It was not simply a cultural custom that was 'picked up'.

Regards

So god purposely gave man foreskin only to have to take it off again? What is the point in this? Why not make man born without it? Is it nessasary just to give man it so god can make a command that it has to be taken off?

Muezzin
11-30-2005, 02:20 PM
So god purposely gave man foreskin only to have to take it off again? What is the point in this? Why not make man born without it? Is it nessasary just to give man it so god can make a command that it has to be taken off?
Is your hair cut short? Do you shave?

God gave men hair and beards, and yet a lot of men shave and cut their hair short. So what was your argument again?

MetSudaisTwice
11-30-2005, 02:23 PM
salam
lol bro, mashallah that is true
you have finger nails, but why do you still need to cut them?
wasalam

jitty
11-30-2005, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Is your hair cut short? Do you shave?

God gave men hair and beards, and yet a lot of men shave and cut their hair short. So what was your argument again?
We have hair yes and it grows back. Foreskin once taken off does not - so whats your point?

Dirt builds up under the nails. Should we take them off completly to prevent this?

Muezzin
11-30-2005, 04:18 PM
We have hair yes and it grows back. Foreskin once taken off does not - so whats your point?
The umbilical cord, once removed, does not grow back either.

Dirt builds up under the nails. Should we take them off completly to prevent this?
Feel free. :p

jitty
11-30-2005, 04:24 PM
The umbilical cord, once removed, does not grow back either.
The umblicial cord needs to be cut off to allow the baby to be seperated from its mother. Even if it isnt cut off it will eventually seperate by itself from the child - foreskin does not. Most mamals who have new young are also born in the same way, they also have a umbilical cord which needs to be removed. It serves no purpose in nature.

Im not circumcised, but since you probably are, feel free :uuh:

~Raindrop~
11-30-2005, 04:25 PM

lol!!

Muezzin
11-30-2005, 05:11 PM
The umblicial cord needs to be cut off to allow the baby to be seperated from its mother. Even if it isnt cut off it will eventually seperate by itself from the child - foreskin does not. Most mamals who have new young are also born in the same way, they also have a umbilical cord which needs to be removed. It serves no purpose in nature.
So, essentially, what you're saying is circumscision is unnaturual.

Let's look at nature. Mammals walk around naked. Some fight each other in mating ceremonies, and a lot defecate wherever they please.

Do you think God intended humans to behave like this? Granted, some do, but I'm not counting the weirdos. :p

jitty
11-30-2005, 05:42 PM
So, essentially, what you're saying is circumscision is unnaturual.

Let's look at nature. Mammals walk around naked. Some fight each other in mating ceremonies, and a lot defecate wherever they please.

Do you think God intended humans to behave like this? Granted, some do, but I'm not counting the weirdos. :p
Mamals do not walk around naked. God has given them their own forms of protection from the elements. For example, polar bears have really thick fur to protect it from arktic conditions.

Humans are a much more advanced form of animal. But in essence they remain the same as other animals. When they come out from the womb, all mamals have the foreskin. It is there the way god intended. It was there for a reason.

So yes I am saying circumcision is unnatural. Why? Do you not agree considering the above?

Muezzin
11-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Mamals do not walk around naked.
'Naked' as in 'unclothed'

Humans are a much more advanced form of animal. But in essence they remain the same as other animals. When they come out from the womb, all mamals have the foreskin. It is there the way god intended. It was there for a reason.
Here's another similarity: Newborn humans and newborn mammals are wet and sticky with amniotic fluid. Did God intend us not to wash our newborns? Birth juice is natural too.

So yes I am saying circumcision is unnatural. Why? Do you not agree considering the above?
By that logic, absitence from sex until marriage is also unnatural, yet many major relgions prescribe this. If God orders us to do something, we do it.

- Qatada -
11-30-2005, 06:02 PM
the way the scientific theory goes - man evolved from chimpanzees etc. fair enough they dont circumcise, but why dont we still live on trees? didn't chimpanzees do that?

now you say to yourself - but man has evolved and prefers a more advanced, better way of living. a more safer way so they can live without any problems and living in houses is more safer than living on a tree.

the same way - scientific studies have shown that circumcision is hygienic. so if its a better form of hygiene, even if the people or 'chimpanzees' never did it before us, then we do it now to be more hygienic. its got nothing with being un-natural but a matter of being safer.

and Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala knows best.

jitty
11-30-2005, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akhee

the same way - scientific studies have shown that circumcision is hygienic. so if its a better form of hygiene, even if the people or 'chimpanzees' never did it before us, then we do it now to be more hygienic. its got nothing with being un-natural but a matter of being safer.

So hygine is the cause of circumcision? Are you too lazy to wash yourself properly that you need to remove your foreskin? The majority of the world population in unhygenic then as they are not circumzised? That cant be right can it?

Muezzin
11-30-2005, 06:14 PM
So hygine is the cause of circumcision? Are you too lazy to wash yourself properly that you need to remove your foreskin?
Ya gotta admit though, it's a helluva lot more convenient :p

The majority of the world population in unhygenic then as they are not circumzised? That cant be right can it?
The majority? How many Muslims and Jews are there in this world?

jitty
11-30-2005, 06:14 PM
'Naked' as in 'unclothed'

Here's another similarity: Newborn humans and newborn mammals are wet and sticky with amniotic fluid. Did God intend us not to wash our newborns? Birth juice is natural too.

By that logic, absitence from sex until marriage is also unnatural, yet many major relgions prescribe this. If God orders us to do something, we do it.
Your argument makes no sense? You are describing what happens naturally on earth. Cutting off of the foreskin does not.

Anyways regarding you first argument. You have highly contradicted yourself. Did you realise this?

If God did indeed intend for us to wash our newborn of "amniotic fluid" then surely God also intended for us to clean our glans by pulling back the foreskin. :coolious: And not to to take it off completely. :peace:

- Qatada -
11-30-2005, 06:15 PM
you know whats so ironic about your quote. muslims are the ones that wash themselves with water everytime, after they've used the toilet.

the majority of the non muslims dont even wash themselves after the toilet, so to be honest - us muslims take the most hygienic precautions we can.

read this link to read abit more: http://www.islamicboard.com/113072-post8.html

lol its kinda funny.

Muezzin
11-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Your argument makes no sense? You are describing what happens naturally on earth. Cutting off of the foreskin does not.
Neither does cutting off of limbs, but it still happens. What you're saying is that circumsicion is always wrong because it's 'unnatural'. What I'm saying is, an amputation is also 'unnatural' but there are certain situations where it's in the best interest of the patient in order to stop the spread of infection. Circumsision is as akhee said, more a matter of good health than a matter of 'unnaturalness'.

I mean, God didn't want us to walk around butt-naked cos we'd freeze to death, and yet we're not born fully clothed. Does that make clothes 'unnatural'?

Anyways regarding you first argument. You have highly contradicted yourself. Did you realise this?

If God did indeed intend for us to wash our newborn of "amniotic fluid" then surely God also intended for us to clean our glans by pulling back the foreskin. :coolious: And not to to take it off completely. :peace:
Unless you're God, you're not in the best position to make such assumptions really. :p Ever heard the expression 'God works in mysterious ways'?

jitty
11-30-2005, 06:22 PM
you know whats so ironic about your quote. muslims are the ones that wash themselves with water everytime, after they've used the toilet.

the majority of the non muslims dont even wash themselves after the toilet, so to be honest - us muslims take the most hygienic precautions we can.

read this link to read abit more: http://www.islamicboard.com/113072-post8.html

lol its kinda funny.

Ok. So muslims are very hygenic. So much so they take the time to wash themselves with water after going to the toilet. So where did this hygine disapear to regarding the penis? If you are so hygenic then surely you should be able to wash you penis as well as your backside?

- Qatada -
11-30-2005, 06:23 PM
what makes you think we dont do that? i said we wash ourselves after we've used the bathroom and yeah - that involves the penis too.

jitty
11-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Neither does cutting off of limbs, but it still happens. What you're saying is that circumsicion is always wrong because it's 'unnatural'. What I'm saying is, an amputation is also 'unnatural' but there are certain situations where it's in the best interest of the patient in order to stop the spread of infection. Circumsision is as akhee said, more a matter of good health than a matter of 'unnaturalness'.

I mean, God didn't want us to walk around butt-naked cos we'd freeze to death, and yet we're not born fully clothed. Does that make clothes 'unnatural'?

Unless you're God, you're not in the best position to make such assumptions really. :p Ever heard the expression 'God works in mysterious ways'?
Limbs are cut off for a specific reason. Unless it is absolutely nessesary limbs are just not randomly cut off. The specific reason of hygine does not suffice to circumcise.

There are many uses for the foreskin. That is why humans and mamals have one. I will post them later.

jitty
11-30-2005, 06:27 PM
what makes you think we dont do that? i said we wash ourselves after we've used the bathroom and yeah - that involves the penis too.
So this brings me back to the original question. Why circumcise at all then>?

jitty
11-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Ya gotta admit though, it's a helluva lot more convenient :p

The majority? How many Muslims and Jews are there in this world?
" Circumcision is almost unheard of in Europe, South America, and non-Muslim Asia. In fact, only 10 to 15 percent of men throughout the world are circumcised. The vast majority of whom are Muslim.[29] The neonatal circumcision rate in the western US has now fallen to 34.2 percent.[30] This relatively diminished rate may surprise American men born during the era when nearly 90 percent of baby boys were circumcised automatically, with or without their parents' consent."

jitty
11-30-2005, 06:34 PM
The foreskin has numerous protective, sensory, and sexual functions.

* Protection: Just as the eyelids protect the eyes, the foreskin protects the glans and keeps its surface soft, moist, and sensitive. It also maintains optimal warmth, pH balance, and cleanliness. The glans itself contains no sebaceous glands--glands that produce the sebum, or oil, that moisturizes our skin.[11] The foreskin produces the sebum that maintains proper health of the surface of the glans.

* Immunological Defense: The mucous membranes that line all body orifices are the body's first line of immunological defense. Glands in the foreskin produce antibacterial and antiviral proteins such as lysozyme.[12] Lysozyme is also found in tears and mother's milk. Specialized epithelial Langerhans cells, an immune system component, abound in the foreskin's outer surface. Plasma cells in the foreskin's mucosal lining secrete immunoglobulins, antibodies that defend against infections.

* Erogenous Sensitivity: The foreskin is as sensitive as the fingertips or the lips of the mouth. It contains a richer variety and greater concentration of specialized nerve receptors than any other part of the penis.[15] These specialized nerve endings can discern motion, subtle changes in temperature, and fine gradations of texture.[16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23]

* Coverage during Erection: As it becomes erect, the penile shaft becomes thicker and longer. The double-layered foreskin provides the skin necessary to accommodate the expanded organ and to allow the penile skin to glide freely, smoothly, and pleasurably over the shaft and glans.

* Self-Stimulating Sexual Functions: The foreskin's double-layered sheath enables the penile shaft skin to glide back and forth over the penile shaft. The foreskin can normally be slipped all the way, or almost all the way, back to the base of the penis, and also slipped forward beyond the glans. This wide range of motion is the mechanism by which the penis and the orgasmic triggers in the foreskin, frenulum, and glans are stimulated.

* Sexual Functions in Intercourse: One of the foreskin's functions is to facilitate smooth, gentle movement between the mucosal surfaces of the two partners during intercourse. The foreskin enables the penis to slip in and out of the vagina nonabrasively inside its own slick sheath of self-lubricating, movable skin. The female is thus stimulated by moving pressure rather than by friction only, as when the male's foreskin is missing.

The foreskin fosters intimacy between the two partners by enveloping the glans and maintaining it as an internal organ. The sexual experience is enhanced when the foreskin slips back to allow the male's internal organ, the glans, to meet the female's internal organ, the cervix--a moment of supreme intimacy and beauty.

The foreskin may have functions not yet recognized or understood. Scientists in Europe recently detected estrogen receptors in its basal epidermal cells.[24] Researchers at the University of Manchester found that the human foreskin has apocrine glands.[25] These specialized glands produce pheromones, nature's chemical messengers. Further studies are needed to fully understand these features of the foreskin and the role they play.

Ameeratul Layl
11-30-2005, 06:42 PM

So, if you can see the good points of cir....wat eveer its called. Why do you continously go on and on about it?

peace!

jitty
11-30-2005, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl

So, if you can see the good points of cir....wat eveer its called. Why do you continously go on and on about it?

peace!
SO you agree with me. THank you! anyone else?

- Qatada -
11-30-2005, 06:50 PM
OK now you've seen the ideas of the 'pleasures' or 'advantages' of the foreskin. lets look at the medical reasons that approve of circumcision.

Why should you consider circumcision ?

With the anti-circumcision propaganda on the net, consider the following facts:

1. The foreskin increases the risk of male and female infections.

* ‘Current new-born circumcision may be considered a preventative health measure analogous to immunisation in that side effects and complications are immediate and usually minor, but benefits accrue for a lifetime’
* Circumcision reduces the risk of vaginal infections.

2. Penile hygiene - an ongoing battle against smegma.

* The proponents of not circumcising stress that lifelong penile hygiene is required. The bacteria start multiplying immediately after washing and contribute, along with skin secretions, to the whitish film, termed ‘smegma’, that is formed under the foreskin.
* ‘What man after a night of passion is going to perform penile hygiene before rolling over and snoring the night away whilst organisms are multiplying in the warm moist environment under the prepuce ?’

3. When physical problems are encountered.

Phimosis (inability to retract the foreskin) is normal in very young boys, but is gone by age 3 in 90%. If still present after age 6 it is regarded as a problem.

Paraphimosis (where the retracted foreskin cannot be brought back again over the glans) is a very painful problem, relieved by circumcision or slitting the dorsal surface of the foreskin.

To paediatric surgeons, the most obvious medical reasons for circumcision are balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and posthitis (inflammation of the foreskin), which are very painful conditions virtually limited to uncircumcised males.

The need for an appliance for urinary drainage in quadriplegics and in senile men is facilitated if they are circumcised. Boys and men who are not circumcised can be a source of irritation if they do not retract the foreskin when they urinate, as ‘splatter’ will occur.

Foreskin problems also mean intercourse is painful.

Another condition, Frenular chordee, results from an unusually thick and often tight frenulum and prevents the foreskin from fully retracting. The frenulum then tears during intercourse or masturbation. This problem can be solved by excising the frenulum during a circumcision. Frenoplasty (removing just the tight frenulum) is also possible.

4. Sexually-transmitted diseases

* Being uncircumcised you have a higher risk contracting syphilis and gonorrhea .

5. Cancer of the penis

* This disease is almost completely confined to uncircumcised men and, less commonly, in those circumcised after the new-born period.

6. Emotional Advantages

* Circumcised men are much more content with the appearance of their genitals.
* In many cultures being circumcised is a rite of passage with many psycho-social meanings attached to the procedure.
* For many circumcision is a method of displaying kinship and a common identity amongst others.

7. Sexually

* Woman generally prefer to have sex with circumcised men and find the exposed glans much more arousing.
* No risk of offensive ordours spoiling the moment when impromptu sexual activity occurs.
* With the glans permanently exposed to greater friction, orgasms are reported to be much more intense.
* When performing oral sex most partners prefer their lover to be circumcised.
* Most teenagers/adult who have had themselves circumcised report an improvement in their sexual functioning.

Source.

thats enough scientific evidence to prove that its important to have circumcision. we dont need no more articles posted now.

safwana
11-30-2005, 07:16 PM

it says u can marry the it doesnt say u ave 2 marry them.nd ny wy that is the list of ppl u r allowed 2 marry who r nt ur mahram?

[FONT="Arial Blac
the reason 2 this is when sum1 is very in 2 sumthing ie alcohol they could nt stop it straight a way nd coz islam is a easy realigon allah talah told the sahabah 2 stop it slowly nd as the rulings cum dwn slowly i was easy 4 them 2 stop?k"]

allah tallah wanted jeruslam 2 b the qiblah first therafter changed it 2 the kabah ot allah wills happens!

4) Whats the best way to answer,with good logical reasoning, when someone asks why your not allowed to take or give interest

intrest is a very big sin 2 use it the best answe would allah tallah say wa haramul riba ie intres is haraam. for more info read mufti taqi usmani kitab on "The historic judgement on intrest" and "Introduction 2 islamic finance"

5) What about when people ask about circumcision. I know that it reduces likely spread of HIV, but as Muslims this should not be an issue as we shudn't be having realationships outside of marriage. Are there are other scientific reasons

wot islam says is 4 the best of a person ?

allah talah does nt nd our praises but we nd the help of allah. it is the human that they praise there lord 1 that created them frm a clot of blood.

when uve bn given everythig 4 example when u work 4 sum1 they give u according 2wot uve dun. whereas allah talah gives u weather uve worshipd allah or nt therafr ther is a limit if allah gave umoney food andso on nd u still disbelive nd do open sin such as adultry ur punnish is going 2 cum the same way it cum 2 the ppl b4 u.eg nooh as ppl were drowned?

for every posture u do there is wisdom behind it the wisdom of allah is that u use all the parts of ur body in excercise so u dnt nd 2 go 2 te gym?!?

may this benifit u in the correct way ameen

jitty
11-30-2005, 09:47 PM
The foreskin increases the risk of male and female infections.

Penile hygiene - an ongoing battle against smegma.
Ok, so you admit to not being able to wash properly. That’s fine. Females also have smegma - should we cut them too?

Sexually-transmitted diseases
Not in Ethiopia it doesn't, and not in the US.

Cancer of the penis
There's much less penile cancer in Denmark than the US and they don't circumcise there. More men get breast cancer than penile cancer: why not cut off their breasts?

Emotional Advantages

* Circumcised men are much more content with the appearance of their genitals.
Untrue, common misconception.

Sexually

* Woman generally prefer to have sex with circumcised men and find the exposed glans much more arousing.
Only 15-20% of the world population is circumcised. Therefore the above point is invalid.

When physical problems are encountered.
Phimosis (inability to retract the foreskin) is normal in very young boys, but is gone by age 3 in 90%. If still present after age 6 it is regarded as a problem.
The figure is more closer to 1-1.5%. In reply to that there are also complications for circumcisions:

Complications of circumcision

Happily, complications of circumcision are relatively rare, although they may be under-reported following religious or cultural circumcision. For this reason, figures on the rate of complications may not be reliable. Complications include:
• reduction in penile sensation (an almost universal experience)
• bleeding
• damage to the urethra (urine tube in the penis)
• amputation of the glans (rare)
• infection in the blood or septicaemia (rare).

Source: http://www.nhsborders.org.uk/view_it...?item_id=16692

jitty
11-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Inappropriate content. Please try to discuss within forum regulations.

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Hello Jitty,
So god purposely gave man foreskin only to have to take it off again?
Yes!
What is the point in this?
Same as the answer to this question:
What is the point of life?

I could say, "So you mean that God gave people life only to take it back again?"

The truth of the matter is that this is a simple test. God commanded Adam pbuh not to eat from a tree in paradise. There is no indication that the tree was special, it was just a simple tree selected as a test. Likewise, God gives human beings simple commands in this life as a test. Those who perform the task will be rewarded.

With regard to circumcision, it is part of God's covenant to Abraham, hence circumcision is a prescribed practice amongst all three abrahamic faiths. Just as Muslims grow a beard - one may wonder what is the purpose of the the beard. The answer is simply because it is a prescribed practice within Islam that offers a disntint trait of the believers. The same thing is true for many other practices such as abstaining from eating pig, etc.

Any medical reasons for circumcision are secondary. The first and foremost reason is because God commanded it.

Regards

jitty
11-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Hello Jitty,

Yes!

Same as the answer to this question:
What is the point of life?

Somehow I dont think these two go hand in hand. God takes life away. Men take foreskins away. THey are completly different playing fields.

Anyways, how do you know that the content within the Quaran is 100% correct. How do you know these are the words from god, and not some person who has made it up.

Giving foreskin which obviously have scientific reasons and then taking being ordered to take it away does not sound very moral or logical to me.

Isnt religion about logics and morality?

I still think it is a cultural custom. Scientific evidence also seems to back this up. The fact that it originated from the arabic countries where water was scarce and the weather was hot, leads me to believe it may have been carried out in those day as a form of hygine.

Somehow I dont think God would recomend that people should be circumcised. And even if he did, who are the parents to carry out a PHYSICAL mutilation of their child?

Surely the child can grow up and then decide for himself if he wants to be circumcised or not.

libyanhero
11-30-2005, 10:33 PM
I think females are not supposed to be cut? anyone

- Qatada -
11-30-2005, 10:39 PM
First of all, it is not fardh (compulsary) on a person to get circumcised. it is a sunnah mustahab (liked.) therefore because it is hygienic, it is liked in islam. it is not mentioned in the qur'an that one has to get circumcised but our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi wasalam approved of it.

regarding your question about the qur'an, that is a totally different subject so you can discuss this later.

Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala creates what he wills, so we have no right to question that. you can say the most obvious question of why Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala created satan, but theres always a reason behind it. in islam its because our life is a test, and we will be tested to see if we can follow the true path of islam without getting distracted by satans evil whispers etc. this is part of our life - the ones who can strive in the right path will be the successful, whereas the ones that fall into the trap without repenting may go to hell only with Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aalas permission.

regarding your last two questions, it doesn't hurt the child much when they are below the age of 6 to get circumcised, this leads to the answer to the other question - once the person is older it is more likely to hurt if they get circumcised especially after they have hit puberty.

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Anyways, how do you know that the content within the Quaran is 100% correct. How do you know these are the words from god, and not some person who has made it up.
Good question. "How do we know the Qur'an is the word of God?" Such a question requires a detailed answer that is beyond the scope of this discussion. Consequently, I suggest we pursue that question seperately in the comparative religion section.

Giving foreskin which obviously have scientific reasons and then taking being ordered to take it away does not sound very moral or logical to me.
Arguing that circumcision does not have benefit is different from arguing that the foreskin provides more benefits than circumcision. I hope you can appreciate that difference.

Surely the child can grow up and then decide for himself if he wants to be circumcised or not.
Circumcision is done at birth because it is easier on the child than if it was done as an adult.

Regards

jitty
12-01-2005, 01:07 PM

Arguing that circumcision does not have benefit is different from arguing that the foreskin provides more benefits than circumcision. I hope you can appreciate that difference.
Sorry i dont quite understand. Its there for a reason, therefore there are no reasons to take it off. The complications of circumcision equal the complications of not circumcising, therefore why circumcise at all? There is no point.

Circumcision is done at birth because it is easier on the child than if it was done as an adult.
So was the prophet circumcised at birth? Or do you believe he was born circumcised? The fact that its done at birth, suggest there is pain involved as it is not carried out wide spread in adult hood.

Also is circumcision mentioned in the Koran?

Ameeratul Layl
12-01-2005, 01:21 PM

peace jitty.once again.lol.

An extensive interpretation of verse 2:124 shows some barely traceable indication of it

Id like to add abit more. Notice the BOLD writing:

Circumcision continued to be practiced at the time of the Mohammad. Mohammad encouraged circumcision for all Muslims.There are multiple reasons why Muslims practice circumcision. They practice it for health/cleanliness reasons or as a sacrifice to ‘Allah. Circumcision reduces sexual pleasure for both men and women. However, the primary reason is for the practice of Sunnah.

Sunnah is the way the Prophet lived. It is as important as the Q’uran in providing guiding principles to Muslims.

I hope it helps.

peace.

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Sorry i dont quite understand. Its there for a reason, therefore there are no reasons to take it off. The complications of circumcision equal the complications of not circumcising, therefore why circumcise at all? There is no point.
Like I already said, there is a difference between saying that there are no benefits to circumcising and claiming that the forsekin provides more benefits. Suppose, for the sake of argument, that I agree with you that circumcision provides absolutely no benefits over no circumcision. My point still holds that we simply circumcise because it is a simple task God has given us and a mark of our covenant.

So was the prophet circumcised at birth? Or do you believe he was born circumcised?
Obviously, he was not born circumcised. But the Muslims are to practice circumcision on newborns.
The fact that its done at birth, suggest there is pain involved as it is not carried out wide spread in adult hood.
Let us see what the medical references say about this. According to the Medical Encyclopedia of the US National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health,
For both newborns and older children, circumcision is considered a very safe procedure.

...Healing time for newborns usually is about 1 week. Apply petroleum jelly (Vaseline) after diaper changes to protect the healing incision. Some initial swelling and yellow crust formation around the incision is normal.

Healing time for older children and adolescents may be up to 3 weeks. In most instances, the child will be discharged from the hospital on the day of the surgery. (John Goldenring, M.D., M.P.H, Department of Pediatrics, Children's Hospital, San Diego, CA, 11/10/2004)
So my claim that circumcision earlier is easier on the child, is supported by medical evidence.
No, it is mentioned in the second source of Islamic law - the Sunnah.

Regards

jitty
12-02-2005, 01:13 PM
The prophet raided caravans bound for mecca. Should muslims do the same as well?

Basically you are saying that everything done by the prophet muslims have to do, otherwise its a sin. Thats ridicoulous. He converted people through war. Do muslims do that too, today?

MetSudaisTwice
12-02-2005, 01:16 PM
salam
where is your evidence that the prophet SAW raided caravans?
wasalam

jitty
12-02-2005, 01:44 PM
Inauthenthic links not allowed see rule 22 of the forum rules:

23. No un-Islamic, anti-Islamic or inauthenthic URLS in posts, profiles, PMs or signatures

Forum Rules

- Qatada -
12-02-2005, 01:55 PM
we dont trust that site - if you really want knowledge about islam then read the muslim perspective. obviously your going to find non muslims saying bad things about the muslims, thats the reason they dont accept islam.

if you want to read more about that - read from here.

http://www.islamicboard.com/prophet-...falsehood.html

MetSudaisTwice
12-02-2005, 01:57 PM
salam
i agree bro^^^ the context and language was obvioulsy biased
wasalam

jitty
12-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Inauthenthic links not allowed see rule 22 of the forum rules:

23. No un-Islamic, anti-Islamic or inauthenthic URLS in posts, profiles, PMs or signatures

Forum Rules

I posted a link to an encyclopedia!! Wow, you guys are really pushing it to the limits to what you can and cannot post. An ENCYLOPEIDA?!!:confused:

~Raindrop~
12-02-2005, 02:25 PM
yeah well if that encyclopeadia is giving the wrong information then it is obviously unauthentic. *rolls her eyes*

jitty
12-02-2005, 02:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aisha
yeah well if that encyclopeadia is giving the wrong information then it is obviously unauthentic. *rolls her eyes*
Who decides whether information is unauthentic or not? The article had refrences and was based on histroic evidence. I could say the link posted below is unauthentic.

mehnaz
12-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Who decides whether information is unauthentic or not? The article had refrences and was based on histroic evidence. I could say the link posted below is unauthentic.

you're not gonna learn anything if u already have biased opinions...please keep an open mind and look at it from a muslim's point of view...after all this is an islamic forum...we dont like information against us on our own forum u know....u can visit any site u want to...but if u ask us...we're gonna give u a muslim's perspective....then its upto u to accept it or not...nobody's forcing u....

peace!

Mohsin
12-02-2005, 05:44 PM

Basically you are saying that everything done by the prophet muslims have to do, otherwise its a sin.
We don't believe it's a sin if you don't follow the life of the prophet, rather we believe if you follow the way of the prophet you get reward from Allah. Since we believe in heaven/hell, believing the whole reason we were created was to be tested by God and while on this life we live by God's rules as given in the Quran (Which is without a shadow of doubt the word of God), and then are tested on the day of judgment and enter heaven or hell. now God has given us loads of different ways to earn these rewards, but one way for us to gain reward is by following the example of the prophet SAW. This is as since he was sent to the whole of mankind for the rest of time, he would thus have to be the greatest, most perfect prophet. he did every thing the way Allah wanted him to do it, so whatever Allah likes the prophet did, so by following the Prophet Muhammed SAW we are following Allah SWA and thus gaining reward. God knows what's best for us..since he created us..and if he's told us in the Quran that Muhammed SAW is the messenger,a perfect person and if you follow his way you will be successful, then of course we are going to Submitt to God and follow the way of the Prophet Muhammed SAW. Now we know he's perfect since it's written in the Quran, and we know the Quran is the word of God

[QUOTE]
Thats ridicoulous. He converted people through war. Do muslims do that too, today
[QUOTE/]

You're suggesting islam was spread by the sword?
No offence intended or anything, but you seemed like quite an intelligent person, but by thinking islam's spread by the sword you just seem really really illogical. I can't understand how you can believe this...logically?
Islam, when it re-emerged under Muhammed PBUH,was shunned by most people and initial reverts were oppressed, but gradually islam grew. Now how could it have started to grow initially, they can't have been forced to revert now could they since they themselves were being oppressed. The only way it could have grown during these oppressive times was just by people hearing of Islam and converting because of its truthfullness
Ok now even why would some people at the time convert to islam who were in powerful positions, had riches and money, they knew they would have to give these things up, now if they saw that islam was being spread by the sword they wouldnt have done this
Also IF, and a big IF,IF islam was spread by the sword then when they were forced to revert by muslims, when these muslims would go away, what is stopping these people from practicing their old way of life, or growing their children up in the old way of life. It's illogical for people who didn't believe in islam, are then forced unwillingly to believe in islam, and then when no1s around still practice islam even if nobody's watching, why would they continue to practice islam? It's because someone is watching - God, and these people knew that they would be questioned by God on why they didn't follow his way
Now finally what about the last 100 years. People are converting to islam everyday, here in UK it's something like 70 a day and rising, thats over 20,000 a year, in america its over 100,000 a year. These people in the west that are converting include intelligent, rich, popular people, they would be giving up so many things if they converted, who's converting these people by the sword? A lot of thinking would have gone into these people in the west converting, they would have studied it thoroughly to see it was the truth and if it was worth changing, and yet they still did accept islam. Don't you think if they had read Muhammed PBUH had spread islam by the sword, then do you think they still would have reverted
These people are using the greatest tool given by God- the brain, all it requires is simple logic and an open mind

Muezzin
12-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Are you even reading the arguments?

If you love your foreskin so much, don't get circumcised. It's not like we're standing over you with a knife :p

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-02-2005, 07:38 PM
The prophet raided caravans bound for mecca. Should muslims do the same as well?

Basically you are saying that everything done by the prophet muslims have to do, otherwise its a sin. Thats ridicoulous. He converted people through war. Do muslims do that too, today?
:lol: lol, I see that instead of responding to my points you attempt to divert the topic by raising allegations against Prophet Muhammad pbuh.

THESE ARE BLATANT LIES WHICH I HAVE ALREADY REFUTED HERE

You have failed to respond to the points on circumcision and instead divert the topic with attacks on Prophet Muhammad pbuh. Consequently, this thread will be closed. When you wish to resume the discussion on circumcision, let me know and we'll open this thread again. If you wish to discuss these allegations against Prophet Muhammad pbuh, we can do so in the other thread.

:threadclo

Regards

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.