/* */

PDA

View Full Version : U.S. accuses Iran of 'hostage diplomacy' - Your Views

AvarAllahNoor
04-05-2007, 09:30 PM
U.S. accuses Iran of 'hostage diplomacy'

By MATTHEW LEE

ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

A Royal Navy crew broke into applause after landing on British soil Thursday, basking in relief shared by a nation after their release from 13 days of captivity in Iran. (AP Photo/ MoD, Chris Wenham)
WASHINGTON --

The Bush administration welcomed Thursday's homecoming of 15 British sailors and marines released from Iranian captivity and for the first time since the crisis erupted accused Iran of using 'hostage diplomacy' to boost its status. :D

With the soldiers safely back on British soil, the White House and the State Department turned up criticism of Iran that had been deliberately toned down during the incident in an effort not to complicate the situation.

From his ranch in Crawford, Texas, President Bush spoke with British Prime Minister Tony Blair in a lengthy video conference, telling him he was pleased that the 15 had returned home, National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

This was a script written, produced and directed by "Ahmadinejad" and the whole world fortunately acted their part like he wanted. :statisfie

UK/IRAN - 1

USA 0

Yeeehaaa

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
England
04-05-2007, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
U.S. accuses Iran of 'hostage diplomacy'

By MATTHEW LEE

ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

A Royal Navy crew broke into applause after landing on British soil Thursday, basking in relief shared by a nation after their release from 13 days of captivity in Iran. (AP Photo/ MoD, Chris Wenham)
WASHINGTON --

The Bush administration welcomed Thursday's homecoming of 15 British sailors and marines released from Iranian captivity and for the first time since the crisis erupted accused Iran of using 'hostage diplomacy' to boost its status. :D

With the soldiers safely back on British soil, the White House and the State Department turned up criticism of Iran that had been deliberately toned down during the incident in an effort not to complicate the situation.

From his ranch in Crawford, Texas, President Bush spoke with British Prime Minister Tony Blair in a lengthy video conference, telling him he was pleased that the 15 had returned home, National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

This was a script written, produced and directed by "Ahmadinejad" and the whole world fortunately acted their part like he wanted. :statisfie

UK/IRAN - 1

USA 0

Yeeehaaa
UK/IRAN???

We're on the US' side NOT the Iranians.

Md Mashud
04-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Unfortunatly UK with USA.

AvarAllahNoor
04-05-2007, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
UK/IRAN???

We're on the US' side NOT the Iranians.
Erm, you alone are ''England'' a majority of us brits don't want anything to do with the US and their bullying ways!

UK and Iran diplomacy, see how it works? Dubya must be spitting feathers at how we managed all this. hehe

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
England
04-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Erm, you alone are ''England'' a majority of us brits don't want anything to do with the US and their bullying ways!

UK and Iran diplomacy, see how it works? Dubya must be spitting feathers at how we managed all this. hehe
We don't want to be associated with Iranians.. They are our enemies. The US are our allies, our friends and the majority of Brits would no doubt agree on that. I don't like the American policy of "make Iraq a better place for Iraqis" because basically I don't care about Iraqis. We are still on the American side as they are with us, hence Bush helping us to get the hostages back..

AvarAllahNoor
04-05-2007, 09:46 PM
How did you bushy do that then eh england....?

It was diplomacy at its best by both nations.

The videos of the detainees showed they were alive and not under threat nor were they paraded in orange jumpsuits chained to eachother. like those yanks do.

Didn't they take over a year to free their men years ago?? lol we got them back in 13 days.

Screw dubya and his admin!

England
04-05-2007, 09:53 PM
How did you bushy do that then eh england....?

It was diplomacy at its best by both nations.

The videos of the detainees showed they were alive and not under threat nor were they paraded in orange jumpsuits chained to eachother. like those yanks do.

Didn't they take over a year to free their men years ago?? lol we got them back in 13 days.

Screw dubya and his admin!
Umm they paraded them on live tv forcing them to "confess" and criticise the government. They spread the propoganda, got a British embassy attacked in Iran and then searched for an easy exit. They aren't the good guys. They are the ENEMIES. Everything you saw on tv was FAKE, an ACT. It's a "dream come true" to be back in England. Mustn't have been as good as the Iranians made out to believe. We will hear what REALLY happened hopefully.

Let's send those 15 troops back out again and continue to spy on Iran... :)

Philosopher
04-05-2007, 09:53 PM
It's no doubt that Iran could've easily done worse to the 15 soldiers. But letting them go can only be credited to diplomacy.

Violence is a completely stupid move in similar cases. Remember when Hezbollah took 2 of IDF soldiers? You wont hear from them again.

AvarAllahNoor
04-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Can you smell the roses engalnd?? Ahmidajhad (sp)can hehe....

Trumble
04-05-2007, 09:55 PM
UK and Iran diplomacy, see how it works?

You make a good point on diplomacy.

I agree that both Iran and the UK came out of it pretty well, all things considered. Ahmednejad had his big day on TV, but the British conceded nothing in getting the sailors back, which they managed without any threats or aggressive rhetoric.

Philosopher
04-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Umm they paraded them on live tv forcing them to "confess" and criticise the government. They spread the propoganda, got a British embassy attacked in Iran and then searched for an easy exit. They aren't the good guys. They are the ENEMIES.
So England and US doesnt spread propaganda? Where do you think the term "Axis of Evil" came from? Why do you think the US is the least trusted nation in the world now (according to BBC survey)? Educate yourself --- I recommend you begin with Sam Keen.

Philosopher
04-05-2007, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble

I agree that both Iran and the UK came out of it pretty well, all things considered. Ahmednejad had his big day on TV, but the British conceded nothing in getting the sailors back, which they managed without any threats or aggressive rhetoric.
If only Israel did the same.....

AvarAllahNoor
04-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Umm they paraded them on live tv forcing them to "confess" and criticise the government. They spread the propoganda, got a British embassy attacked in Iran and then searched for an easy exit. They aren't the good guys. They are the ENEMIES.
Yada yada yada

They got ''nice'' suits out of it.... :laugh:

We have no ememies, just fruitcake bushy wushy
:D

England
04-05-2007, 09:59 PM
There was no way the Iranian president would have killed them. We all knew that. He wouldn't have dared...
It was a success for Iran, not the UK. They should be punished. By sorting this out "Diplomatically" it has made us look weak to Iran...

Woodrow
04-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Why do we always have to look for ulterior motives in everything?

In spite of our own personal opinions, it is possible that Ahmidajhad, does have some good points.

Can't we just accept the fact that they have been freed and forget trying to find some hidden agenda as to why they are.

AvarAllahNoor
04-05-2007, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble

Indeed! - It shows we don't have to get up in arms and attack each other. We are all winners in this. And how bushy managed to keep his gob shut throughout this mess, I'll never know!

England
04-05-2007, 10:07 PM
It will happen again and again and again because of Iran's success.

Oh wait no it won't because armed forces have been commanded to retaliate if it is repeated :D

AvarAllahNoor
04-05-2007, 10:07 PM
There was no way the Iranian president would have killed them. We all knew that. He wouldn't have dared...
It was a success for Iran, not the UK. They should be punished. By sorting this out "Diplomatically" it has made us look weak to Iran...
Well as you're such a brave person get your rambo gear on and go to iran and show us how it's done.....Rambo....

Trumble
04-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Calm down, mate. It's not a case of 'daring' or not, Ahmednejad had no reason to kill them and there isn't the slightest reason to think he wanted to do so. He is a clever political operator, not a psychopath.

It was a success for Iran, not the UK. They should be punished.
I have a certain problem with the idea of people being 'punished' for success. Sure, like you I don't believe the Iranian 'version' of events for a moment, but if they got away with it they got away with it. The hostages were released apparently unharmed - compare them the pilots who were captured in the first Gulf War, for example. So what 'punishment' is appropriate? As I said, I think both sides came out of it well, for different reasons.

By sorting this out "Diplomatically" it has made us look weak to Iran...
It was a diplomatic incident! Nobody has been made to look 'weak'. Sure, such things can blow up into more than that, but this didn't even come close. If the government had started waffling about sanctions we could never get agreed, or military action, the Iranians wouldn't think we were 'weak', they would think we were idiots - and they would be right.

England
04-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Well as you're such a brave person get your rambo gear on and go to iran and show us how it's done.....Rambo....
Yep me alone... take em all on ;D

Send the troops to Iran! :Evil:

Philosopher
04-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Yes, only the Brits are war mongering savages. Havent you people ended enough lives already in your hundreds of years of bloody existance?

wilberhum
04-05-2007, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
Yes, only the Brits are war mongering savages. Havent you people ended enough lives already in your hundreds of years of bloody existance?
I thought the US was the worst "war mongering savages". :-[
Gee, I guess that would include you. :D

The West is Evil, the East is good. It is just that simple. :thumbs_up

Anyway, some day Iran is going to push it too far. They will, in the end, get the war they are playing with.

England
04-05-2007, 10:36 PM
And Iran still hasn't learned have they? :rollseyes

AvarAllahNoor
04-05-2007, 10:40 PM

When they retalliate don't get hiding behind your mummy, get in front OK!

Troops pffft. - You're leaving the country didn't you say? Chicken.....
:raging:

England
04-05-2007, 10:43 PM
When they retalliate don't get hiding behind your mummy, get in front OK!

Troops pffft. - You're leaving the country didn't you say? Chicken.....
:raging:
Huuuuuuuuuuuh????????????????????
Make sense.. :)

I swear on my life, my mother's, my father's, any of my families lives that if Britain was attacked, invaded then I would fight for country. May God strike me down if I'm lying..

I promise you that I wouldn't hesitate if we were invaded...

AvarAllahNoor
04-05-2007, 10:54 PM
You said you're leaving the UK didn't you? As you're so fed up with it.....

Though, calm down love it's only the net.....

England
04-05-2007, 11:05 PM
You said you're leaving the UK didn't you? As you're so fed up with it.....

Though, calm down love it's only the net.....
My parents are leaving the UK for Spain. They have asked me to join them but I have not yet made mind up. I've said this in a post somwhere. If I decide to leave then I won't be "running away" but moving to a country that doesn't have soft laws, a weak government, high tax etc.
I'm as calm as you get but I have strong political opinions.

Philosopher
04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
My parents are leaving the UK for Spain. They have asked me to join them but I have not yet made mind up. I've said this in a post somwhere. If I decide to leave then I won't be "running away" but moving to a country that doesn't have soft laws, a weak government, high tax etc.
I'm as calm as you get but I have strong political opinions.
Most of them misguided.

England
04-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Most of them misguided.
That's your opinion. I myself believe other people's opinions are misguided :D

AvarAllahNoor
04-05-2007, 11:18 PM
I too have strong political opinions, but I know I'm right and you're not! :)

You're anti anything asian. They have a name for that...

Plus if you're movng to spain I hope you're going to converse in spanish... as that's what you want us lot to do isn't it?? (speak english as we reside here) don't be a hypocrite!!

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 02:37 AM
i am very thankful that it was a british ship and not an american ship. u.s. is just itching to bomb iran too - or at the very least punish it as much as it can. my guess was bush was disappointed that it got resolved peacefully.
thank god, the brits are at least a little bit more sane.

AvarAllahNoor
04-06-2007, 10:05 AM
You can't implement democracy where the president wasn't voted in by the people. Al Gore won.

AvarAllahNoor
04-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I too have strong political opinions, but I know I'm right and you're not! :)

You're anti anything asian. They have a name for that...

Plus if you're movng to spain I hope you're going to converse in spanish... as that's what you want us lot to do isn't it?? (speak english as we reside here) don't be a hypocrite!!
Don't forget to answer this engie...

Chiteng
04-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Actually, it seems to me that the Iranian clerics 'forced' the Iranian Prez
to release the sailors. All you need to do is read a timeline of his press
release. In less than thirty-two hours his attitude changed onehundred eighty degrees.

Why they would do this, I have no idea. I am glad however that they did.

Those that think that England will not use force....

Argentina thought the same thing. They were wrong.

It is wishfull thinking to assume the United States isnt able to act.
They CAN act, they simply dont want to.

Chiteng
04-06-2007, 08:54 PM
And how is Persia any different in its THOUSANDS of years of history?

People living in glass houses should not throw rocks.

Muezzin
04-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Pot calling the kettle black.

The US regularly uses 'shotgun diplomacy' to intimidate other countries into compliance, and Iran is just as bad except it takes hostages.

If we could all get over our macho power trips and start working things out through negotiation, maybe we could prevent the deaths of a couple thousand civilians worldwide.

England
04-08-2007, 07:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Pot calling the kettle black.

The US regularly uses 'shotgun diplomacy' to intimidate other countries into compliance, and Iran is just as bad except it takes hostages.

If we could all get over our macho power trips and start working things out through negotiation, maybe we could prevent the deaths of a couple thousand civilians worldwide.

Through that then we would have to expect more of these to take place as negotiation is benficial to the ones who take hostage.

Muezzin
04-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Through that then we would have to expect more of these to take place as negotiation is benficial to the ones who take hostage.
Negotiation doesn't mean giving in.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.