/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does your God have a gender?

Pygoscelis
04-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Its alway struck me funny that the Bible refers to God as a "he" and "father" yet Christians claim he is the only god and has always been the only god. If there is only one of him, how can the concept of gender apply to him (it)?

Does Islam refer to God in the masculine as well?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SirZubair
04-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Do a search, i believe a thread like this was created a week ago.

ummAbdillah
04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
salaam
Allah is neither male nor female. Arabic has no neuter, and the use of the masculine is normal in Arabic for genderless nouns.

Say: He is Allah, the One and Only!
Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
He begetteth not nor is He begotten.
And there is none like unto Him. surah ikhlass

wa salaam

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 07:13 PM
i don't read any meaning in to the use of the word "he". i use it but definitely don't picture god as a little old man, or a young man either for that matter.
how can god have a gender when "he" has no form?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Talha777
04-06-2007, 07:19 PM
how can god have a gender when "he" has no form?
We don't know if He has a form our not. Speculating on His substance is not allowed.

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 07:22 PM
i'm not speculating and i agree - of course, we don't know.
was only giving my concept.

SirZubair
04-06-2007, 07:22 PM
"If you can imagine something....................................... That is not god"

In other words, any image that the Human Mind can create is not god. the 'shape and size' of god is beyond human imagination.

ummAbdillah
04-06-2007, 07:25 PM
salaam
well said! i agree with you SirZubair
wa salaam

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 07:26 PM
of course! :statisfie

ummAbdillah
04-06-2007, 07:34 PM
salaam
Snakelegs do you believe in Allah? just curious :)
wa salaam

wilberhum
04-06-2007, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
"If you can imagine something....................................... That is not god"

In other words, any image that the Human Mind can create is not god. the 'shape and size' of god is beyond human imagination.
Now I really like that. :thumbs_up

Trumble
04-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Or indeed;

The Tao that can be told is not the universal Tao. The name that can be named is not the universal name.

We really are all looking for the same thing.

ummAbdillah
04-06-2007, 08:14 PM
salaam
It's great to see people of different faiths agreeing for once,
especially about god :)
wa salaam

AhlaamBella
04-06-2007, 08:17 PM

:ace: couldn't have said it better! :thumbs_up

SirZubair
04-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Argh... i hate days like these, when people agree with me. I like controversy ! :phew

( jokes ):D

AhlaamBella
04-06-2007, 08:38 PM
lol very funny :D

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister-aisha
salaam
Snakelegs do you believe in Allah? just curious :)
wa salaam
yes. i only think of him as "god" just because i'm not a muslim and i'm used to that word.

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 09:28 PM
"The description is not the described"
- j. krishnamurti

barney
04-07-2007, 02:51 AM
I note that the Bible and Quran both use in relation to the revealer:
I
We
Us
My
Our
His

moujahid
04-07-2007, 03:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
yes. i only think of him as "god" just because i'm not a muslim and i'm used to that word.
god can be gods, godesses and i heard the word has no divine origin. none of the true revelations ever mentioned the word god.
Whereas Allah is only Allah. Allahu Akbar!
and His name is mentioned in the Totah as Eloh or Elohim (plural for respect)
and the amazing one is that it is still mentioned in the new testament - When Jesus, peace be upon him, cries out
"Allai Allai la ma thabaktani" " o god o god why have u forsaken me"

Allahu Akbar!

Um_ahmad
04-07-2007, 03:55 AM
I THINK THIS CALLS FOR FI_SABILIALLAH. I bet he would know the answer to this.:)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-07-2007, 04:11 AM
Thinking isn't wasting. It's like brain exercise. Anyways, I agree. Anything the human mind can imagine of G-d, isnt G-d. Im sure a scientist can agree that the human mind is limited :)

moujahid
04-07-2007, 04:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Anything the human mind can imagine of G-d, isnt G-d.
The sole purpose of our existence is to contemplate over the beauty and geatness of Allah, 'Azzawajall. That is why he sent Prophets and Messengers who told us about Allah...So that we understand and realize His greatness. Now, we can never imagine him to begin with, but we know of His attributes Alhamdulillah...so we can live a life of obidience.
He is full of Noor. Thats all we need to know. Any doubts or questions or philosophies beyond that are Bida'a.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-07-2007, 04:39 AM
Sis...I meant we cant create an image of Allah in our minds. What were u thinking?

*charisma*
04-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Allah has no gender. His name cannot be genderized or pluralized for the purpous of preserving tawheed (oneness).

Secondly, the word 'We' or 'Our' refers to Allah speaking on behalf of a group or using the word 'We' to demonstrate respectedness or gloriness to He who is speaking, in english its more defined as the "Royal We". If you notice in the Quran, Allah doesn't dualize himself as to show any pluralizm or division.

Thirdly, the word 'he' is not genderized. "He" is also a neutralized form, if you're familiar with more than one languages, you can see this put into practice.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

moujahid
04-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Sis...I meant we cant create an image of Allah in our minds. What were u thinking?
dude...bro..its too complicated. lets drop it.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-07-2007, 06:01 AM
whats complicated? and why are u callin me a bro :offended:

*charisma*
04-07-2007, 06:04 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Maybe he meant he was a bro? Cuz I think you called him a sis in your previous post...

And the bro was talking about the attributes of Allah (e.g. aRahman, ArRaheem Azawajaal, etc)

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

moujahid
04-07-2007, 06:09 AM
whats complicated? and why are u callin me a bro :offended:
i wonder why? u see u should be happy that i call u bro.:)
u know whats offensive...that u call a bro a sis. yeeeaaa. i dont think a lot of sis like to keep their name as moujahid:)
yea and i also have a feeling that all of this futile waste of LI board space will be deleted soon. SIS

------
04-07-2007, 07:28 AM
:salamext:

Question: I am kindly soliciting your immediate advise concerning the following issue. In the Holy Qur’an (or in any Islamic teachings) there is no mention that Allah (swt) possess a gender. How can i respond to somebody who believes and claims the following: “The fact that 'gender' is not mentioned in the Qur’an does not mean that Allah does not have gender. We simply do not know. It is Allah alone who knows best.” Your kind and immediate answers/clarifications shall not pass unappreciated.

Answered by Sheikh Sulaymân al-Râshid, Aide to the Consultative Council

Allah clearly says in the Qur’ân: “Say, He is Allah the One, Allah the Self-Sustaining. He begets not, nor is He begotten. And there is none like unto Him.” [Sûrah al-Ikhlâs]

Allah also says: “He created the pairs, male and female.” [Sûrah al-Najm: 45]

Attributes of gender are meanings that are dependent on a specific relationship to something else, specifically of a sexual nature. This is what gender literally means. There is no meaning to being “male” in the absence of something “female” and vice versa.

Gender, by definition, is a sexual orientation of something in relationship to some other gender. This will be the case, even if we entertain the possibility of genders other than male and female. Therefore, it is clear that Allah does not have a gender. He is the One. He begets not.

The same can be said for fatherhood and sonhood. There is no meaning to being a father except in relationship to a son or daughter. There is, likewise, no meaning to being a son except in relationship to the existence of a father.

Allah is the Creator of both sexes. We do not attribute being male or being female to Allah. We negate all attributes of deficiency. Allah begets not. He is one. We describe Allah as He describes himself and as His Prophet (peace be upon him) describes Him.

And Allah knows best.

Source = Allah & Gender

Hope that helped :D

Camomilla
04-07-2007, 07:33 AM
thanx for the share, Jazakallah Khair!^^

ajazz
04-13-2007, 07:50 PM
hi! Pygoscelis
visit my thread to know about
Allah.

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...sts-woods.html

AvarAllahNoor
04-13-2007, 08:35 PM
God is genderless and Ajūnī - Unborn / Not-incarnated

God is Unborn, Uncreated, Beyond Incarnation:

Laith Al-Doory
04-18-2007, 01:15 AM
The word Allah, like the Judaic Elohim, does not literally translate as God, but describes an entity that is both masculine and feminine, singular and plural.

However, it is known that the genetic components of the female are contained in the male, but the reverse cannot be said to be true. The physical male can therefore also be described as an androgene. Gramatically speaking, the masculine gender has always been used to encompass both men and women.

SirZubair
04-26-2007, 11:59 AM
AHEM....

http://forums.muslimvillage.net/inde...e=post&id=8011

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.