/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Rugs

LegacyCX
04-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Hello!

I'm doing a college paper on the Islamic Religion and I had a question about prayer rugs. I understand that prayer rugs are not required by the Islam, but assist the worshiper in ensuring they have a clean area to pray and makes them feel isolated so they can focus on their prayers.

However, can a prayer rug be designed by anyone? Are there any specific designs that must be put on a prayer rug?

Thanks!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
04-07-2007, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by LegacyCX
Hello!

I'm doing a college paper on the Islamic Religion and I had a question about prayer rugs. I understand that prayer rugs are not required by the Islam, but assist the worshiper in ensuring they have a clean area to pray and makes them feel isolated so they can focus on their prayers.

However, can a prayer rug be designed by anyone? Are there any specific designs that must be put on a prayer rug?

Thanks!!
As far as I know the only thing that would be forbidden is if something on the rug design was haram in it's own right and would be haram if it was not to be used as a prayer rug.

The design is up to the user or the manufacturer.

Ummah
04-07-2007, 06:54 PM
^ yah images of living things or symbols from other faiths would be an example of whats not allowed

popular designs on prayer rugs are that of kabbah or famous mosques

extravagent prayer rugs, im sure, would be looked down upon.

and as you said yourself they are not a requirement, only needed when the ground below is not clean.. so there's no real need to buy a prayer rug, u cud easily lay out a clean cloth/sheet

Talibatul Ilm
04-12-2007, 10:56 PM
a prayer rug with pictures of any animals or people would be forbidden, or anything that is alive/supposed to have a soul of some type [angels, fairies].

also a rug that would have really elaborate and shiney designs would probably be a bad idea as 'Ummah' mentioned, this being that when designs are a little overdone or over the top it could cause a distraction while praying.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.