/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this illegal?

Philosopher
04-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Hello,

I have read a book called the Quran and the latest Orientalist assumptions:
http://islamicbookstore.com/b5003.html

Is it illegal to convert this book to an e-book so that people can read the book for free?

The book was basically written to refute Toby Lester's article "What is Koran?"

Please let me know.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Philosopher
04-07-2007, 04:25 AM
Do the MODS know anything about this?

*charisma*
04-07-2007, 04:30 AM
If its copywrited, which I think it is, and you e-book it for others to read, then it would be illegal cuz you're publishing it without the author's permission and furthermore it would be taking away from the funding he's supposed to get for his book. If you do it for your own personal use, or if you quote him (sourcing him ofcourse) its alright inshallah.

I'll double check on that for you inshallah, since its been a while learning about plagarism and publicly publishing peoples work...

If you have the book, it should say something on the inside cover?

peace

Philosopher
04-07-2007, 04:32 AM
It's not plagiarism. All credit will be given to him.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
04-07-2007, 04:34 AM
No, I didn't say its plagerism, I said its been a while since the rulings of plagerism and copyright laws have been taught to me. What you are asking about is the copyright laws.

Edit: Check this link out: http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/okbooks.html

peace

Philosopher
04-07-2007, 04:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
No, I didn't say its plagerism, I said its been a while since the rulings of plagerism and copyright laws have been taught to me. What you are asking about is the copyright laws.

peace
Yeah I would like the author's permission but I dont know how to contact him.

Thank you very much for your help!

siFilam
04-07-2007, 04:46 AM
:salamext:

may I ask y u wanna do this.

wasalam
-SI-

Philosopher
04-07-2007, 04:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by siFilam
:salamext:

may I ask y u wanna do this.

wasalam
-SI-
For a polemic website I'm starting. Toby Lester's article is all over anti-Islamic sites, including Answering Islam and Faith Freedom. The book I want online has totally demolished the article and needs to be read.

*charisma*
04-07-2007, 04:57 AM
Yeah I would like the author's permission but I dont know how to contact him.

Thank you very much for your help!
I provided a link for you in the previous post, I don't know if you seen it or not. Anyways, on the inside cover the address and publishing information should be there, possibly on the second or third page of the book?

*charisma*
04-07-2007, 05:07 AM
Alright, here are the publishers.

They are from the UK, so I think you can contact them through email or by phone inshallah.

http://www.jimas.org/

Edit: This is what they say on this and this page:

ALL JIMAS PUBLICATIONS ARE FULLY COPYRIGHTED AND NOT ALLOWED TO BE REPRINTED
OR PUT ON THE INTERNET BY ANYONE
OTHER THAN OURSELVES
WHETHER FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES OR NOT

JIMAS functions in order to facilitate recurring charity for the Muslims that is focused on the Truth and proven effective for our needs. The following are most of the publications that we have managed to publish using your donations. All our publications are necessaily according to the teachings of the noble Quran and the blessed Sunnah. Any finances raised through the sale of these publications are all put back into reprinting exisiting titles, bringing out new titles or channeled into one of the charitable activities or projects for da'wah described elsewhere on this site.

Please contact us directly
by phone, fax or email
about these books.
peace

Philosopher
04-07-2007, 05:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Alright, here are the publishers.

They are from the UK, so I think you can contact them through email or by phone inshallah.

http://www.jimas.org/

peace
Thank you very much!

*charisma*
04-07-2007, 05:16 AM
You're very welcome, btw, I edited my post again, sorry I keep editing lol..

peace.

Philosopher
04-07-2007, 05:27 AM
I guess I'll have to explain the entire book in my own words. Fair enough.

*charisma*
04-07-2007, 05:33 AM
Don't forget to source it, otherwise then it would be plagarism. You can also use quotes from the book as long as you source it, I believe, and that you're not using the majority of the book. Kind of like in school reports.

peace

Muezzin
04-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Under UK law at least you can use quotations so long as they're not ridiculously huge (I'm thinking a couple of lines here and there rather than an entire chapter, for instance), as that would be substantially taking from the original work and thus infringing its copyright.

Did you get in touch with Jimas, by the way? I'm not sure the author would allow the entire book to be put into PDF format for you to disseminate, but I guess he should be okay with quotations here and there.

Be careful when you're paraphrasing, too. If you're a profit-making organisation, you could get into trouble under UK law if you're paraphrasing the entire book - this can still constitute substantially taking from the orginal work. However, if it's for the purposes of non-profit research, for example, it should be okay.

Perhaps you could do a review of the book as part of the site? Using excerpts of a published work for the purposes of criticism or review is acceptable under the UK law. :)

P.s. apologies for any non-sensical legal jargon, I'm revising for my Intellectual Property Law exam :p

Woodrow
04-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Copyright laws do vary by country. As long as a person has a copy right on something it is illegal to copy it in any form without permission of the author. Sometimes an author will grant a blanket permission on the preface of the book such as "This may be copied and freely distributed provided no changes are made" this may be copied provided the Author is given credit" etc. For published articles on the web it is generally accepted that a portion may be copied and posted elswhere as long as a link is given to the original article.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.