/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Global warming 'will kill billions'

England
04-07-2007, 10:09 AM
BILLIONS face death from hunger, drought, disease and natural disasters, the world’s climate change experts warned yesterday.

Years of rising sea levels will also destroy coastal cities like New York and Tokyo.

And a third of the planet’s animals and plants could be wiped out. The doomsday scenario is the bleakest yet from scientists, who blamed man-made greenhouse gases.

The shock report from the influential United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change — the leading world authority on the subject — said up to 3.2billion people will face water shortages within 80 years. A further 600million could be left starving. Millions more will die in heatwaves, wildfires, droughts and storms triggered by global warming.

The IPCC report, using research by 2,500 scientists in 130 countries, was approved unanimously by governments meeting in Brussels.

IPCC chairman Rajendra Pachauri urged the world to “pay attention” to the findings, saying: “It is a global responsibility.”

Greenpeace called it “a glimpse into an apocalyptic future.” Friends of the Earth dubbed it “a looming humanitarian catastrophe”.

Next month the IPCC, which says scientists are 90 per cent sure humans are to blame, will report how to beat it.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007160112,00.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
04-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I sometimes wonder if the Americans (i.e the current administration) will only wake up when NY is under water.

It's a tragedy that Al Gore 'lost' the 2000 election in more ways than one.

Muezzin
04-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Global warming is an important topic, no doubt. I hope that this provides one hell of an incentive for everyone to just stop fighting for five little minutes and actually do something about it.

format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I sometimes wonder if the Americans (i.e the current administration) will only wake up when NY is under water.
In the event of such an occurence, I wouldn't be surprised if the current administration blamed it on an Al-Qaeda underwater tectonic plate disruptor sponsored by Iran. :p

Keltoi
04-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Boo! Scared yet?

Global warming and cooling has occurred throughout Earth history. If this is totally a man-made problem, which I haven't found any credible scientist that believes that or can prove that, then what exactly is the answer? Cut down on emmission? Who needs to do that? Would China play along? Would Russia? Would India? I'm afraid the actions that would be necessary to make any significant difference in chemical emissions would require the whole of the industrialized world to sacrifice. I don't see that happening.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
NoName55
04-08-2007, 11:46 PM
The biggest ever con to fleece the public and at the same time keep the 3rd world from progressing. primarily To raise revenues. ignoring or hiding the real history of warming and cooling cycles

Keltoi
04-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Back on topic though, if indeed global warming is going to kill "billions", I wonder what science is being used to reach this dire prediction? I know some scientists point to increased damaging weather patterns and flooding caused by rising sea levels, but there have been disastrous weather patterns and flooding since the time of creation. What makes these scientists think humans have the power to control this phenomena?

Al_Imaan
04-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Years of rising sea levels will also destroy coastal cities like New York and Tokyo.
nooo...not NY...:(.....wasnt 2007 supposed to be the hottest year?...its about 38 degrees F in the middle of April...it was snowing just yesterday...

Muezzin
04-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Dudes, this topic is about global warming. If anyone wants to talk about the Taliban, the war in Iraq, Iran, or Bush's pet dogs, there are plenty of other threads to choose from.

Although there's not one about Bush's dogs.

Yet.

ckerofilm
04-09-2007, 09:30 PM
well... global warming is non existent.

I mean think about it-the worlds bin having highs and lows in the temp ranges since the beginning. This is probably anotha high rise.

Or so my geography teacher thinks

Anyway, why dyu think global leaders will care wen their lives ends hardly 20 years away

England
04-09-2007, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ckerofilm

I mean think about it-the worlds bin having highs and lows in the temp ranges since the beginning. This is probably anotha high rise.

Anyway, why dyu think global leaders will care wen their lives ends hardly 20 years away
Because they have children, grandchildren and then they have children, then their children will have children and so on :)

searcheroftruth
04-10-2007, 01:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ckerofilm

i agree totally with you bro, global warming my ass just another way of taxing us and making the governments and there masters richer

Keltoi
04-10-2007, 01:03 AM
I think those that accept the current global warming theory honestly believe this phenomena is man-made. I'm just not there yet. I've read most of the scientific literature behind the theory, and it is compelling in many ways, but it simply isn't enough for me to accept it as the gospel just yet. Maybe because the country is in a deep freeze on April 10th.

Ninth_Scribe
04-10-2007, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Global warming is an important topic, no doubt. I hope that this provides one hell of an incentive for everyone to just stop fighting for five little minutes and actually do something about it.

In the event of such an occurence, I wouldn't be surprised if the current administration blamed it on an Al-Qaeda underwater tectonic plate disruptor sponsored by Iran. :p
The design is the same kind that appears in the movie Independence Day... that being, if the whole of mankind is threatened, they'll pull themselves together. It will probably fail.

Hahahahahahahaha! I'm sure they will try to blame Al Qaeda. Likewise, I expect Al Qaeda will blame the West. Yawn.

Ninth Scribe

AvarAllahNoor
04-11-2007, 11:50 PM
The end is nigh....

God will keep us, don't fret munchkins...

rebelishaulman
04-12-2007, 01:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble

It's a tragedy that Al Gore 'lost' the 2000 election in more ways than one.
He has never been more known. I do not understand why he doesn't run. He would win.

Keltoi
04-12-2007, 01:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rebelishaulman
He has never been more known. I do not understand why he doesn't run. He would win.
He might win California and Vermont.

Woodrow
07-07-2007, 09:30 PM
This thread has been requested to be brought to the top again. This time let us try to stay on topic.

Cognescenti
07-07-2007, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rebelishaulman
Other than the fact that Clinton, Inc. would leave his bloodied and quite ample corpse by the side of some Tennessee highway, you mean?

Oops..better put something on-topic in here. No effort to address CO2 rise will have any chance without an equal participation from the developing economies (China and India, for eg.) It would be foolish for the US to handcuff itself and allow the Chinese to grow unrestrained....unless y'all want to learn Mandarin and cheer to giant posters of Chariman Mao in your neighborhood.

islamirama
07-07-2007, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by searcheroftruth
i agree totally with you bro, global warming my ass just another way of taxing us and making the governments and there masters richer
Britian is thinking of charging it's people per mile for driving as way to "curb" global warming and "contribute" (at the expense of the public).

anyways, I have al gore's "inconvenient truth" documentary on global warming. it's very interesting to watch even if you don't' believe in it guys. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Muezzin
07-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Random thought: do obese people leave a bigger carbon footprint than non-obese people? If so, Gillian McKeith will have a field day...

Bittersteel
07-09-2007, 08:50 PM
From what I am hearing the next 2 decades for us Bangladeshis won't be great.

Cognescenti
07-09-2007, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Random thought: do obese people leave a bigger carbon footprint than non-obese people? If so, Gillian McKeith will have a field day...
They sure do if they have to be lugged up to the 45th floor in some skysraper every morning.

Strictly from a biological standpoint, fat is a depot form of energy storage and isn't as metabolically active as muscle. Obese people tend to more sedentary and will therefore expend fewer movement related calories...one the other hand...they eat more and it takes energy to produce food. The key is probably "lean body mass". People with larger lean body mass will produce more CO2 per day than a smaller individual, all things being equal.

I realize your question wasn't like meant to be literal :-)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.