/* */

PDA

View Full Version : wht does "kalma" mean?

nevesirth
04-08-2007, 05:10 AM
can anyone pls tell me the meaning of "kalma"?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
barney
04-08-2007, 05:21 AM
Do you mean Karma? Karma is the reward..positive or negative...for your actions. Bhuddist I think in Origin.

snakelegs
04-08-2007, 05:26 AM
no, kalma.
i'm glad you asked because i thought i knew what it meant (word, speech) until the other day when i read it in the context it is used in this thread:

http://www.islamicboard.com/sects-di...sir-qadhi.html

so i'd like to know too.

siFilam
04-08-2007, 05:58 AM
I think it refers to philosophy but I found the proper meanings:

Kalam

Talk or speech as inkalamu Allah; has also been used through the ages to mean logic or philosophy.
(Source:MSA-USC)

Kalam ()
`Theology' and dogmatics. kalam begins with the revealed tradition and uses rationalistic methods in order to understand and explain it and to resolve apparent contradictions. the name was either derived from the fact that their primary question was the "word of Allah" or in imitation of philosophers who called "logic" "kalam ". (compare with falsafa).(Source:Taha Publication)

http://www.islamicity.com/IslamicGlo...term=K&-Search
hope this helps.

-SI-

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
04-08-2007, 07:07 AM
thanks!

Woodrow
04-08-2007, 08:33 PM
It does refer to Talk, or more specificaly a calligraphic rendering of a Surah, Hadith, or Shahada.

Here is a typical one:

Often the when a person says the Shahdah in front of witnesses it is referred to as the Kalimah, or the "Saying of the word"

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-08-2007, 08:39 PM
hmm, i figured it meant like a surah, jus as bro Woodrow mentioned. i know cuz i use that word in urdu alot...

nevesirth
06-25-2011, 02:18 AM
Jazakumallahu khair

IAmZamzam
06-25-2011, 02:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Often the when a person says the Shahdah in front of witnesses it is referred to as the Kalimah, or the "Saying of the word"
Right. Just don't let anyone say that particular word over and over again while reaching for your heart.

ardianto
06-25-2011, 05:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It does refer to Talk, or more specificaly a calligraphic rendering of a Surah, Hadith, or Shahada.

Here is a typical one:

"Kalimah" is not "saying of the word" but sentence/words arangement. And not only for ayaah in Qur'an, sentences in our words or in texts in books/newspapers are Kalimah. But there are special sentences that called "Kalimah Thoyibah" (beautiful sentences) like ayaah in Qur'an.

Saying of the word like saying Shahadah or saying promise is "Iqrar", originally from "Iqra" (recite, but not read only)

Abu Fatimah
06-27-2011, 06:15 PM
is it supposed to be kalima i.e. word?

jawediqbal
01-19-2019, 09:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nevesirth
can anyone pls tell me the meaning of "kalma"?
Kalma (كلمة)Means: A Word,

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.