/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Give Solutions for Indian Muslims

razu
04-08-2007, 05:22 PM
In India Muslims are getting a lot problems from all sorts of life ie Governments, Fascist Hindutva etc Please suggest some tips to overcome this difficulties.

Hope all our brothers and sisters in Islam will actively participate in this issue

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
razu
04-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Existing socio-economic models of development have failed to alleviate the poverty and backwardness of the people of the country. Since independence, the ruling class has strengthened the business monopolies and the urban and rural elite, as it ignored the basic needs of the people below. The traditionally dominant social groups have also hijacked the democratic process. The fascist forces have deeply penetrated and corrupted the system and they work hand in glove with neo-colonial and racist forces. The dalits, the tribals, the religious, the linguistic and the cultural minorities, the backward classes and the women are denied their cultural and social space, making India one of the most backward areas in the world. Resistance against exploitation and deprivation is mostly local and isolated now with no co-ordination and pooling of resources at national level.

Popular Front of India is launched to co-ordinate and strengthen grass root level developmental activities throughout the country.

Popular Front of India is the movement for the realization of a society in which freedom, justice and security are equally enjoyed by all individuals and classes. It aims at the socio-economic, cultural and political empowerment of the deprived, the down trodden and the nation at large.It stands for a new India of equal rights to all Indians
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information
http://popularfrontindia.org/conf_gallery.html

Philosopher
04-09-2007, 01:24 AM
Isnt the president of India a Muslim?

razu
04-09-2007, 03:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
Isnt the president of India a Muslim?
Yes!!!! in the name only

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SirZubair
04-09-2007, 03:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by razu
Yes!!!! in the name only
Shah rukh khan is the president of India?!

razu
04-09-2007, 04:20 AM
May be in some Films

Umm Yoosuf
04-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum

Please post topics in their correct sections. Jazakallah :)

Thread moved.

S_87
04-09-2007, 12:21 PM
:sl:

let us know whats going on in india, like first hand. how is it hard for you :)

snakelegs
04-09-2007, 11:13 PM
razu,
this is a good topic and i hope other indian muslims will pick up on it and give their input. i think if i were a muslim in india, i would be concerned about the future.
meanwhile, i have some questions. i know almost nothing about south india or what it is like for muslims there. (not that i know a whole lot about the north either - but i know some).
first, is kerala still marxist? i have heard that it leads the country in literacy levels. how is/was it for muslims under the marxist gov't?
in general, are muslims in south india more secure than muslims in the north?
have their been communal riots in the south? is hindutva just as strong in the south?
thanks!

razu
04-11-2007, 01:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
razu,
this is a good topic and i hope other indian muslims will pick up on it and give their input. i think if i were a muslim in india, i would be concerned about the future.
meanwhile, i have some questions. i know almost nothing about south india or what it is like for muslims there. (not that i know a whole lot about the north either - but i know some).
first, is kerala still marxist? i have heard that it leads the country in literacy levels. how is/was it for muslims under the marxist gov't?
have their been communal riots in the south? is hindutva just as strong in the south?
thanks!
Thanks for u r participation in this topic
Abt South Indian Muslim - They are in better position than North Indians, but still they are avoiding from Government Sectors.

Yeah in Kerala now there is Marxixt govt, Marxixt govt before anti muslim.. still also some times their agenda exposes. now they needed Muslim votes.

Yes Hindutva forces are making lot of problems in South India. (They started work in Kerala in 1940s)

ABWAN
04-11-2007, 03:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
razu,
thanks!
From what I know, South India has been in a far better position than North India as far as muslims are concerned both economically and financially. I am not sure if I can say south india is more secure than north india, although thank God, it has traditionally not been a strong hold for hindu fanatics. Hindutva is not deep rooted in south india. Its only recently that they (hindutva) have started gaining grounds. That kinda explains why South India has been better than North India. I dont know how it would look in future, once hindutva is well established in south.

Kerala is the state with the highest literacy rate, but I believe one of the criterion used is just to see whether someone can sign their name in english. But still Kerala, I guess is better than other states.

Apart from that Kerala has a very rich history. Since it was the hub of the 'spice route' it has been visited by very famous travelers. I know for sure the famous chinese explorer Zheng Zhe was in Kerala for a while and I guess Marco polo was also there. The most famous muslim traveler Ibn Batutah spent a while in Sri Lanka and Maldives, but I am not sure if he visited Kerala.

Whats also interesting is that, Islam spread in North India through different empires, while none of these empires were able to gain grounds in South India, including Kerala. Islam probably reached South India much earlier than North India, owing to the fact that trade between Arabs and Keralites was prevalent even during the time of prophet Muhammed (saw). Another interesting fact is that, while most of North Indian muslims follow the Hanafi madhab, South India has been traditionally following Shafi'i madhab, the reason being that most of the Arab traders were Shafi'i. South Indian muslims also have more in common with the muslims of South east asia including Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia than North Indians as trade flourished between South India and South east asian countries.

That's all I could think of Kerala for now!

As far as the current conditions of muslims in India is concerned, I was recently told about the "Sachar Committee report'. The prime minister of India had created a committee to survey the conditions of muslims all over India. This, I believe was sometime in 2005. The committee published their report late last year. The committee used all of the government resources and earlier surveys, so it is considered to reflect the conditions of muslims more accurately.

As per the report, the conditions of muslims in India is FAR WORSE than even scheduled caste. Now, anyone who knows about India, knows that for centuries Scheduled caste have been the lowest of the lowest in indian caste system. They have been relegated to do menial jobs and were not given a chance to educate themselves. The muslims have been made to beat them!!! Muslims in India are discriminated in different fields. This was the report published by the government of India. I am guessing they are taking some steps to improve the conditions of muslims, but I dont foresee a big change any time soon. There are some leaders with huge influence in Indian politics, who wouldnt want muslims to be in a better position, and sadly they seem to have a huge following as well.

Cognescenti
04-11-2007, 05:48 AM
Where Muslims are a minority in India it seems to me they have 4 options:

1) Sociocultural and religious integration with eventual loss of identity(probably not attractive)

2) Leave

3) Violent civil war

4) Peaceful coexistence with minimal accomodations and participation in the political process

Seems to me only 2 and 4 are viable.

ABWAN
04-11-2007, 06:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Where Muslims are a minority in India it seems to me they have 4 options:

1) Sociocultural and religious integration with eventual loss of identity(probably not attractive)

2) Leave

3) Violent civil war

4) Peaceful coexistence with minimal accomodations and participation in the political process

Seems to me only 2 and 4 are viable.
option 2 is ruled out. while some muslims left India for Pakistan, some chose to be a part of India and participate in India's freedom struggle. They are Indian as much as a hindu or people from any other religion. Besides asking 15+% of the population to leave seems insane.

Option 4 is what the muslims have been doing in India. But I dont understand why there needs to be only "minimal accomodation and political participation". Care to explain?

BTW, none of the options you suggested provide a viable solution for the upliftment of muslims in India. SC and ST in India are such a small % of the population, yet their conditions have improved a lot in the past 50+ years, ONLY because of the provisions given by the government. Their participation in India's politics have been more or less non-existent!!!

unique_star
04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
PRAY PRAY AND PRAY MORE!!!!
den hope 4 da best and av patience

Cognescenti
04-11-2007, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ABWAN
option 2 is ruled out. while some muslims left India for Pakistan, some chose to be a part of India and participate in India's freedom struggle. They are Indian as much as a hindu or people from any other religion. Besides asking 15+% of the population to leave seems insane.

Option 4 is what the muslims have been doing in India. But I dont understand why there needs to be only "minimal accomodation and political participation". Care to explain?

BTW, none of the options you suggested provide a viable solution for the upliftment of muslims in India. SC and ST in India are such a small % of the population, yet their conditions have improved a lot in the past 50+ years, ONLY because of the provisions given by the government. Their participation in India's politics have been more or less non-existent!!!
My list of options were limited to the real world. I you are hoping for some type of pluralistic utopia, then I don't see it. What they should aim for is perhaps something like the Polish Jews had for a thousand years....of course, we all know how that turned out.

By "minimal accomodation", I meant the minority have to accomodate slightly.

razu
04-13-2007, 01:42 AM
Still required active participation

north_malaysian
04-13-2007, 03:02 AM
I think the Indian Muslims in Malaysia (Tamils, Malayalis) are the most successfull Muslim community in Malaysia. they're business minded people and love to donate lots and lots of money and food... May Allah bless them....

snakelegs
04-13-2007, 03:37 AM
thanks abwan for all the info. it kind of confirmed what i thought, but didn't know.
i always thought all south asian sunnis followed the hanafi
madhab.
is it true that although the language is not spoken there, urdu is the language of instruction in the madrassas in the south too?
i would be quite concerned if i was a muslim in india. the few indian muslims i know are quite patriotic citizens in spite of the discrimination and have no desire to live anywhere else, and certainly not pakistan, even if it would take them, which is highly doubtful anyway. one thing i can think of that would be good would be if more muslims could get in the police force, since the police often do nothing or even actively participate in the communal riots.
in genera, it would be good, if it's possible, for muslims to take a more active part in community projects - to try to end their isolation.
there is a great need for more muslims to get more secular
education, but as long as they are so poor, i guess it's not a real option for many.

north_malaysian
04-13-2007, 08:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ABWAN
South Indian muslims also have more in common with the muslims of South east asia including Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia than North Indians as trade flourished between South India and South east asian countries.
In fact, the Malabaris (Kerala Muslims?) traders spread Islam to the Malays since the 15th Century. That's why Shafi'i became the most prominent madhhab here.

As most of the Malabaris married local women, the Malabaris were Malayanized. In Malaysia, they are known as Mamak (Malay Speaking Indian Muslims). Currently there are about 200,000 of them. Most of them live in Penang. They follow Shafi'i Madhhab and speak in Penangite Malay (it's my dialect!!!!:okay:)

When the British colonised Malaysia, many Chulias (Tamil Muslims?) were brought in. In fact, there is a street named after them in George Town. They built the first mosque in George Town. But different than the Malabaris, majority of them are followers of Hanafi madhhab (with exception to the Rawthers who follow Shafi'i Madhhab). There are about 100,000 of them, mostly in Penang. The Chulias prefer to marry within themselves. That's why they manage to secure their Tamil language and Hanafi Madhhab. But those Chulias who married local women, their children were raised as Malays, speaking in Malay and follow Shafi'i Madhhab.

Thanks to the British, lots of Northern Indian Muslims migrated to Malaysia too like the Punjabis, Gujeratis, Pakistanis (Urdu Speaking), Bengalis, Pashtuns and Sindhis. Maybe there are about 10,000 of them here, mostly following Hanafi Madhhab with exception too hundreds of Ismailite Shiites (among Bohras and Khojas) and handful of Qadianis (among Pakistanis and Punjabis). The North Indian Muslims live in urban areas namely Kuala Lumpur, Klang, Ipoh and Penang.

In the 1980s lots of Kashmiris and Rohingyas migrated to Malaysia.

In the 1990s about 300,000 Bangladeshis and Pakistanis migrated to Malaysia.

Malaysia is a famous place for education among the Sri Lankan Moors and Malidivians too.

I think there might be about 1,000,000 of Indian Muslims and "Malays" of Indian Ancestry living in Malaysia right now. And about 20% of my relatives have Indian ancestry too...

snakelegs
04-18-2007, 04:03 AM
isn't UP the state with the largest muslim population?
below is an excerpt from a VCD produced by the BJP's election CD.
another reason why indian muslims need to come up with some ideas on how they can deal with this issue (as requested by the OP) because the future of indian muslims, from everything i can tell, is far from secure.
the only thing i can think of is to work diligently at overcoming the isolation - take a more active role in civic projects. and also, try to get more muslims on the police force.
quote:
Voiceover: Today Mother India is screaming aloud, "Oh my sons, save me from being broken into pieces again. I no longer have the strength to be enslaved another time. By using terrorists, spreading fear and dividing us, Pakistan wants to break India into pieces. Hyenas hungry for political power are egging them on. They have forgotten what the consequences of this will be. Now, ordinary people of India have to think, do they want slavery again or Ram Rajya in their independent India."

for complete article:

http://www.hindu.com/2007/04/07/stor...0722201600.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.