/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Iran has done something nice afterall

England
04-08-2007, 08:22 PM
'Iran Cash Is For Charity'

One of the Royal Navy personnel held by Iran has said that any money he made out of his story would go to charity.

'Iran Cash Is For Charity'
Updated: 19:32, Sunday April 08, 2007

One of the Royal Navy personnel held by Iran has said that any money he made out of his story would go to charity.

It follows the announcement that the 15 former captives have been given special permission to cash in by selling their stories to the media.

Lieutenant Felix Carman said: "I am not interested in making money out of this. My main aim is to tell the story.

"There's some people who might be making money, but that's an individual's decision, that's very private, but that's not something that myself or many of the others will do."

He added: "I'd happily do it for free. But if there is money on offer then it would probably go to charity."

Another one of the 15, Captain Chris Air, has said he did not plan to sell his story, but felt that his comrades were entitled to - particularly if it helped them to deal with any trauma.

The Ministry of Defence said it had taken the unusual decision because of the "exceptional circumstances" surrounding their 13-day ordeal.

It means that the eight Royal Navy sailors and seven Royal Marines can now look forward to five or six-figure payouts.

However the move could also expose them to criticism from others in the Armed Forces who have suffered in Iraq and Afghanistan but have not been able to cash in the same way.

The MoD, in a statement, said: "It was clear that the stories they had to tell were likely to have emerged via family and friends regardless of any decision the Navy took.

"It was therefore decided to grant permission to speak to the media to those personnel that sought it, in order to ensure that the Navy and the MoD had sight of what they were going to say as well as providing proper media support to the sailors and Marines in the same way as would have been the case in more ordinary circumstances."

Among those who stand to benefit is Leading Seaman Faye Turney - the only woman in the party - whose story has attracted intense media interest.

She was not among the six sailors and marines at a press conference on Friday, at the Royal Marines Base at Chivenor, Devon, where they were reunited with their families.

However, according to reports in the Sunday Times and the Sunday Telegraph, she has now sold her story to ITV1 and a newspaper for more than £100,000.

The disclosure of the deals caused unease among senior opposition politicians.

Shadow defence secretary Liam Fox said: "One of the great things about our Armed Forces is their professionalism and dignity.

"Many people who shared the anxiety of the hostages' abduction will feel that selling their stories is somewhat undignified and falls below the very high standards we have come to expect from our servicemen and women."

The Sunday Times reported that the marines had decided to pool their money, giving 10% to their service benevolent fund, while the sailors were expected to keep theirs individually.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...259665,00.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Philosopher
04-08-2007, 10:55 PM
The Iranian president is one of the shrewdest presidents since the Cold War.

wilberhum
04-09-2007, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
The Iranian president is one of the shrewdest presidents since the Cold War.
To bad shrewd is not equal to good. :skeleton:

SirZubair
04-09-2007, 12:28 AM
He let them go as a Present to the people of England as an Easter Present.

Who knows,... The Poms and Yanks might exit all the muslim countries that they are 'liberating' as an Eid present to the Muslims of the world.

As for the President of Iran, hats off to him. There are not many (if any) muslim politicans that i have any respect for. He takes the cake.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Philosopher
04-09-2007, 01:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
To bad shrewd is not equal to good. :skeleton:
I'd rather have a shrewed president than a liar president (Bush).

wilberhum
04-09-2007, 01:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
He let them go as a Present to the people of England as an Easter Present.

Who knows,... The Poms and Yanks might exit all the muslim countries that they are 'liberating' as an Eid present to the Muslims of the world.

As for the President of Iran, hats off to him. There are not many (if any) muslim politicans that i have any respect for. He takes the cake.
So when they release people that they crossed country boundaries to kidnap, it is a present. Cool :skeleton:

wilberhum
04-09-2007, 01:40 AM
I hope you get what you want. :D

Cognescenti
04-09-2007, 02:32 AM
Do you mean a shrewd President or one who owns shrews?

Shrewdness is usually understood to encompass dissembly.

BTW, "liar" is a noun. ...It describes someone who willfully tells a falsehood.

This concludes what you may likely find to be a very annoying grammar lesson.

SirZubair
04-09-2007, 02:51 AM
So when they release people that they crossed country boundaries to kidnap, it is a present. Cool :skeleton:
At times i wish they would cross country boundaries and kidnap you, and never let you out.

Ahhhh.... if only dreams came true.

wilberhum
04-09-2007, 02:58 AM
At times i wish they would cross country boundaries and kidnap you, and never let you out.

Ahhhh.... if only dreams came true.
Oh, so you wish harm come my way. How have I harmed you? Not thinking you and yours are perfect? Well wish me all the harm you like. I hope it brings you joy.

As for you, I only wish you a good life. But that's just me.

north_malaysian
04-09-2007, 03:02 AM
I think those 15 are the last gifts to the Britons... after this if they get any Brit soldiers --------> :skeleton: :raging:

wilberhum
04-09-2007, 03:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I think those 15 are the last gifts to the Britons... after this if they get any Brit soldiers --------> :skeleton: :raging:
I think you are right. Iran has been pushing for war for a long time. Sooner of later it will happen. It looks like you would like it to be sooner.

Philosopher
04-09-2007, 03:20 AM
I hope you get what you want. :D
Doubt it....look at the US presidential candidates :D

Philosopher
04-09-2007, 03:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Do you mean a shrewd President or one who owns shrews?

Shrewdness is usually understood to encompass dissembly.

BTW, "liar" is a noun. ...It describes someone who willfully tells a falsehood.

This concludes what you may likely find to be a very annoying grammar lesson.
Do you have nothing constructive to say other than criticizing my grammar??

LOL, I'm not writing a paper here. :D

wilberhum
04-09-2007, 03:23 AM
Doubt it....look at the US presidential candidates :D
I was suggesting that you leave the country. I'm sure that you would love Iran.

SirZubair
04-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Oh, so you wish harm come my way. How have I harmed you? Not thinking you and yours are perfect? Well wish me all the harm you like. I hope it brings you joy.

As for you, I only wish you a good life. But that's just me.
Thanks for the well wishes.

I didn't say i want them to harm you, did i?

I simply want them to kidnap you and stop you from accessing the WWW.

now THAT would bring me joy. :D

SirZubair
04-09-2007, 03:26 AM
I was suggesting that you leave the country. I'm sure that you would love Iran.
So anyone that doesn't like George Bush should leave America and go to Iran?

Say goodbye to half of the U.S population then.

north_malaysian
04-09-2007, 03:31 AM
It looks like you would like it to be sooner.
Euwww.... I'm not among those who give priority to the coming of Al Mahdi... it's not a duty to wait for Al Mahdi in Islam.

I hate wars too...

So.... stop the killings and save the animals (human are animals too)

wilberhum
04-09-2007, 03:31 AM
So anyone that doesn't like George Bush should leave America and go to Iran?

Say goodbye to half of the U.S population then.
Half? Where have you been the last year? Try 2/3.
But they don't praise Ahmadinejad.

SirZubair
04-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Half? Where have you been the last year? Try 2/3.
But they don't praise Ahmadinejad.
2/3?? ****. It's worse than i thought it was. :blind:

wilberhum
04-09-2007, 03:48 AM
2/3?? ****. It's worse than i thought it was. :blind:
See. :thumbs_up And you thought you knew what you were talking about. :D

SirZubair
04-09-2007, 06:26 AM
See. :thumbs_up And you thought you knew what you were talking about. :D
Put it this way, i don't lose any sleep worrying about the state of america.

i do lose sleep over what america does to other countries.

So, if by not knowing what percentage of americans want bush to be kicked out of the office, i am an idiot, then i will be more than happy to walk up onto the stage to collect my medal.

Be prepared to make billions of those medals, there are billions of people out there who couldn't care less about America.

razu
04-09-2007, 06:47 AM
NIce decision by Najad !!! If Bush is in thta position he will send Army

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.