/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Good Companion

FatimaAsSideqah
04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
:sl:

Both `A'ishah and Nafisah are reverts and have been friends for four years. Nafisah passed away a few months ago. `A'ishah said,

"Before, when my dear friend was with me, I used to feel 'what would I do without Nafisah?' But now after her death, Allah made me realize that only He would be there for us at all times and I should depend only on Allah."

"After I embraced Islam, I found myself bumping into both Muslims and non-Muslims who were hostile towards me," `A'ishah continued.

"Then it happened that I bumped into this wonderful soul who guided me and encouraged me at all times, and she always helped me realize my flaws. Though she has left this world, her words of counsel are still living in my heart and will continue to live till I die."

"Fatima has always told me that I act silly when I am with her," said Sumayya, who is in her twenties.

"I can only be like this with her as she is my best friend, and I tell her that she acts silly when she is with me," Sumayya added with a grin.

"We have been friends for five years and I truly love her. She has always been a genuine friend. When we are in a lighter mood, we both act silly, and when we face problems, we both counsel each other, and I think that's how friends should be. I really wish Allah would bless us with a never-ending friendship," she concluded. They met through a Yahoo e-group, and their little chats grew into a strong friendship.

Yameena, 28, said, "Friends are a blessing. I always yearned to have a good friend, but I consider myself unfortunate, as I have never had the right friends. The friends who I had were all temporary and misleading. Because of some so-called friends, I wished to be away from Islam, and their shameful activities seemed incredible at that time. But to be honest, I think Allah had mercy on me and showed me I was on the wrong path when they broke my trust."

"Before, I used to choose friends based on appearances," added Yameena. "The result was that I became deceived. If I had continued my friendship with them, I would have been a loser in this world and the hereafter. So thanks to God, I now pray for a good companion who will be a guide and be there for me whenever I need her."

The above-mentioned experiences should serve as a reminder for us to clinch
to the opportunity when we find good friends. Every soul on this earth needs a companion to share both happiness and sorrow. Friendship can be one of the most beautiful and vital aspects of a person's life. True friends are rare to find nowadays.
Yameena thought a friend is someone with whom you should have fun. It is important to realize that a good friend in Islam is someone who encourages, supports, and cares for you at all times. A friend in Islam is someone who accommodates your faults but also corrects them by giving you the right counsel. Therefore in Islam, friendship holds an important place.

Prophet Muhammad taught us how to choose our friends and also explained the importance of friendship in Islam. He also set an example of how to choose and treat our companions.

Abu Musa narrated: Allah's Prophet said,"The example of a good companion (who sits with you) in comparison with a bad one, is like that of the musk seller and the blacksmith's bellows (or furnace): From the first, you would either buy musk or enjoy its good smell while the bellows would either burn your clothes or your house, or you get a bad nasty smell thereof." (Al-Bukhari 3:314)

The Prophet said, "None of you truly believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself." (An-Nawawi #13)

Abu Hurairah also reported that Prophet Muhammad (may peace be upon him) as saying, "A person visited his brother in another town and Allah deputed an angel to wait for him on his way, and when he came to him, he said, "Where do you intend to go?" He said, "I intend to go to my brother in this town." He said, "Have you done any favor to him (the repayment of which you intend to get)?" He said: "No, accepting this that I love him for the sake of Allah, the Exalted and Glorious." Thereupon he said, "I am a messenger to you from Allah: (To inform you) that Allah loves you as you love him (for His sake)." (Muslim 32:6226)

Abu Musa narrated that the Prophet said, "A believer to another believer is like a building whose different parts enforce each other." The Prophet then clasped his hands with the fingers interlaced (while saying that). (Muslim 3:43 #426).

"The similitude of the believers in their mutual love, their mutual mercy, and their mutual affection is like a single body. If any part of it complains of an injury, the entire body responds with sleeplessness and fever." (Muslim 32:6258)

Islam encourages its followers to take righteous people as their companions and to avoid the company of the self-interested, as one might tend to pick up their qualities subconsciously.
[O woe is me! Would that I had not taken such a one for a friend!] (Al-Furqan 25:28)

Every Muslim should try to select the best companion for his or her life span. If the companion is from the other gender, then that companion should be a spouse with whom one can live with within the remit of the Shari`ah.

When someone observes a friend taking a wrong and sinful course and is able to restrain him or her, but does not do so, he has actually betrayed his friend.

Islam permits friendship with people in error, when one's iman is strong. When a Muslim finds out that a friend is committing a sin, then it becomes obligatory to help guide him or her.Always remember that a friend is a person who will express what he or she feels. Friends should be honest with each other and should correct and guide each other when they are in the wrong.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.