/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is there any one studying medicine here?

noahs_arc
04-10-2007, 10:27 AM
:sl: so is there anyone? i have a few questions. :w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
04-10-2007, 11:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noahs_arc
:sl: so is there anyone? i have a few questions. :w:
:w:

What area are you interested in? My undergrad curricula was essentially pre-med With an emphasis for neurology and neuro anatomy, if that is close enough. But, that was many years ago.

noahs_arc
04-10-2007, 05:20 PM
did you study in the states? thier education systems a little different. im 1st year at uni and recently i have been thinking about studying med. i originally applied for pharmacy but i thougth i wouldn't be able to handle it.

relisticaly is it hard? i mean obviously it's hard but how hard. in england nothing can be harder than a level exams. and they're what you need to get to uni.

and i don't really have the grades for med. i'm thinking of resitting a few exams. i thought i had more questions to ask. obviously not. lol maybe they'll come to me later. thanks wasalam.

Maidah
04-10-2007, 05:33 PM
sis i'm not doin med, but i can tell you in London it's a competative study. First you have to get the grades, then you have to pass the test they make you do, pre-med test i think.

On top of that i think its also important to pass the interview stage, leaving a good impression hopefully. they must see your zeal and enthusiasm reflecting on you (that's what i've been told).

But teh biggets of them all is how strongly you want it yourself. I think you have to have a burning passion for medecine in order too make it to the end, it's not easy dealing with it for the sake of it. I would say sis, make sure you ask the different med schools what they require, because some can get picky about small stuff. Make sure you've got all the info.

Anyways i pray Allah makes things easier for you nd every1 who wants to do med. InshAllah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noahs_arc
04-10-2007, 05:36 PM
:sl:
thanks for that.

i know its very compeptitive. you need AAA and even then they take the brigthest of the brigthest. i just want to do something stimulating with my life. and i want to do it now.

in 3 years time insahllah i want to be married and then i will have other responsiblites. right now im on a course i don't find stimulating enough. i think im pushing my self to an extreme that i cannot reach.

thanks anyway :w:

Woodrow
04-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Here in the States for your undergad Degree (Bachelors) you enroll in a pre-med program which will result in a four year BS in Biology with a medical emphasis. During your Senior year you take the MCAT exam, if you have a 3.0 or better GPA I don't know about today but way back in the stone age only the top 25% of those passing the MCAT would be eligible to apply for Med School some of the big name schools would only accept the top 10% as applicants. If your application was accepted the next step was the personal interview with the Dean of the University and professors from each department.

Realistically it is very hard. Med School normaly consists of 2 years Academics beyond the 4 years pre-med and 2 to 4 years internship. Many Med Students will opt to do the internship as a 4 year enlistment in the Military The internship is designed to eliminate those that do not have the stamina. Typicaly for the internship a person is assigned to a Hospital ER and is on duty for 72 hours at a time with only brief breaks when there is no activity.

But, of course that was a long time back. Things may be different today.

Woodrow
04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Many here in the states will opt to go to nursing school as an RN rather then Pre med and than work a few years as an RN prior to going on to Med School.Typicaly they can make up the missed course work for the pre med requirements in just one semester.

But, it all boils down to the MCAT as to who will go to Med School.

noahs_arc
04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
:sl:

i need some advice.

i am 1st year at uni and have been really considering to change my degree. i got ACC in my a levels. i have discused this with the relevant exam boards and it is ok for me to resit some of the modules in order to push my grade up. what i need advice with is whether or not to complete my 1st year of uni (which is over in 2months) and then resit or to carry on into 2nd year while resitting on the side? i don't know. any advice appreciated. :w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.