/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ishtikarah Questions

noahs_arc
04-10-2007, 07:53 PM
:sl:

so you see when you perform ishtikarah is it 2 rakaht nafil namaz and after it you say the ishtikarah dua?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
04-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Its all mentiond in this thread
Istikharah Prayer

FatimaAsSideqah
04-10-2007, 07:58 PM
:sl: Sister..

Question :

I need your advise on the following, please. What happens if two people who are planning to get married both read their Istikharaah namaaz and only the woman gets the message and not the man. This sister saw herself and her future husband as being happy and together and she feels that ALLAH is telling her that they are right for each other. But what if the man doesn't get any sign/feeling/dream whatsoever. What do they do then? And for how many days does one have to read this namaaz. Some people say for 3 days others say for 7.
Jazak Allah

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

The daleel (evidence) for Salaat al-Istikhaarah and the du’aa’ to be recited is the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (1109) and others from Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with them both). For the commentary on this hadeeth and more details, please see question #2217 and 410.

With regard to what some people say, “then he should go ahead with whatever he feels happy with”, a hadeeth to this effect was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – narrated by Ibn al-Sunni – according to which he said, “If you are concerned about a matter, then make istikhaarah seven times, praying to your Lord, then see what you feel most drawn towards, and the good will be in that.”

Al-Nawawi said: its isnaad is ghareeb, and it includes narrators whom I do not know. (al-Adhkaar, p. 132).

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said: if this were proven, it could be taken as evidence, but its isnaad is very weak (waahin jiddan). (al-Fath, 11/223)

Al-Haafiz al-‘Iraaqi said: it contains a narrator who is known to be da’eef jiddan (very weak), namely Ibraaheem ibn al-Baraa’.. Therefore the hadeeth is da’eef jiddan. (al-Futoohaat al-Rabbaaniyyah, 3/357)

The correct view is that when Allaah makes something easy for you – after having decreed it and accepted your du’aa’ – this is a sign that it is good to go ahead and do it. The existence of obstacles and difficulties is an indication that Allaah is pushing His slave away from doing it. This meaning will be very clear when one ponders the meaning of the hadeeth of Jaabir concerning al-istikhaarah, where the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“… O Allaah, if You know this affair – [and here he should mention it] – is good for me in relation to my religion, my life, and end, then decree and facilitate it for me, and bless me with it, and if You know this affair to be ill for me towards my religion, my life, and end, then remove it from me and remove me from it, and decree for me what is good wherever it be and make me satisfied with such.”

Ibn ‘Allaan – after transmitting the scholarly view that the hadeeth of Anas is da’eef (weak) – said: Therefore it was said: that after (doing istikhaarah) he should do what he wants (i.e., even if he does not feel that sense of being happy), because whatever happens after doing istikhaarah is good…

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said: Al-Haafiz Zayn al-Deen al-‘Iraaqi said (concerning doing something after praying istikhaarah): Whatever he does, there will be good in it. This is supported by what is said at the end of the hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ood according to some of its isnaads: ‘Then let him make his decision.’ I (Ibn Hajar) say: I have already discussed above and explained that its narrators (i.e., the narrators who added the phrase ‘Then let him make his decision) are da’eef (weak). But this is still stronger than the narrator of that hadeeth (i.e., the hadeeth which says, ‘then see what you feel most drawn towards’). (al-Futoohaat al-Rabaaniyyah, 3/355-357)

Another of the myths that are widespread among people is that after praying istikhaarah you should sleep, and whatever good you see in your dream that makes you happy means that what you want to do is good and will be made easy for you, otherwise it is not good. (This is what the questioner meant by saying “gets the message”). There is no saheeh daleel (evidence) for this as far as we know.

The above does not mean that if you feel happy it is not a sign, but this should not be regarded as the only sign about whether or not the matter is good. People often make istikhaarah about something they like or want to do, so they feel happy about it from the outset.

Shaykh al-Islam [Ibn Taymiyah] (may Allaah have mercy on him) said concerning the matter of feeling happy about something: if he makes istakhaarah, then whatever Allaah makes him feel happy about and makes easy for him, this is what Allaah has chosen for him. (Majmoo’ al-Fataawaa, 10/539).

There is a difference between making feeling happy the only sign and making it one of several signs. There is no set time period for salaat al-istikhaarah; it is permissible to repeat it more than once, but there is no limit to how many times. The person may offer the du’aa’ before or after saying the salaam. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

Hope this would help for your answer, InshAllah!

:w:

noahs_arc
04-10-2007, 08:03 PM
thank you

but i still don't know..is it just 2 nafil namaz that's it? then the dua.?

lol sorry was curious

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
04-10-2007, 08:05 PM

Yeh basically, after the namaz say the dua and state your cause

noahs_arc
04-10-2007, 08:09 PM
ok thanks =)

wasalam.

noahs_arc
04-10-2007, 08:11 PM

a fellow sister said she done it and had a dream that she was in her now husbands house. that's how she knew he was the one.

has anybody else had a dream?
was the dream that obvious?
what happens if you don't dream?
do you find having a dream a but weird?
and what if you wake up and you a feeling?
and what if it's a nightmare
- i used to have lots of them. (that's why im scared.) ok thank :w:

FatimaAsSideqah
04-10-2007, 08:15 PM

If a person performs Istikhaarah properly, according to Sharee’ah, then you should proceed with the intended action and not wait for a dream or whatever. Many people think that if a person performs Istikhaarah then sleeps straight afterwards, you will see the result in a dream, but this is not correct. A person may do that but not see anything at all in his dream.

For this reason the Muslim should be content with what Islaam has brought, and make a decision based on wisdom. You should consult knowledgeable and intelligent people whom you trusts, study the matter in depth and see which is the best course for you to take. If you decides to do a certain thing or is inclined towards a certain course of action, then you should pray Istikhaarah as it is prescribed in Islaam, then go ahead with the action, trusting that Allaah will choose what is best for you.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-10-2007, 08:17 PM

http://www.ahya.org/books/istikharah/si_index.html

noahs_arc
04-10-2007, 08:18 PM
oh

i thougth you do it and sleep. because im in a dilema so from what u have learnt so far i assumed by doing it i would get some sort of inclination of which way to go about it. hmm thanks!

noahs_arc
04-10-2007, 08:19 PM
what i*
sorry that was meant to be from what i*

Snowflake
04-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Allahu a'lam. I always have done istikhara at bedtime and gone to sleep thinking the question in my head. I've had some vivid dreams after that. Usually I forget my dreams.

I once performed istikhara and begged Allah to show me the man who killed my sis. I saw one of the men we suspected. Nothing happened in the dream. The man just appeared in front of me and then faded away. We later found that he was the man who hired someone to kill my sister.

So Allah knows best. It seems to me that Allah subhana wa ta'ala is so Merciful that when His creation cry out to Him with conviction that He will help them, He does so in whatever way He sees best in whatever means the person chose to ask for His help. SubhanAllah. That's my belief whatever anyone else says.

noahs_arc
04-12-2007, 10:19 AM

are there any duas for guidance and or courage?

i done my ishtikarah but honestly i don't think anything happened. atfer doing it i was quite scared to sleep that may have affected me slightly. but i am really troubled about my uni situation and i don't know what to do. so are there any duas that could help me? thanks. :w:

- Qatada -
04-14-2007, 02:31 PM
:wasalamex

May Allaah ease your affairs, heres a good site for duas from the Sunnah inshaa Allaah:

http://makedua.com/

:salamext:

anonymous
04-17-2007, 02:18 PM
i prayed Istikharah last night and went straight to sleep, when i woke up in the morning, i was asahmed to realise i had a wet dream, what shall i do?? i am deeply ashamed, i really need help...

Erundur
04-17-2007, 02:23 PM

1. Take a shower

2. Continue to make Istikhara until Allah (swt) has given you the answer to what you have been looking for.

'Abd al-Baari
04-18-2007, 07:05 AM

As the bro said continue making Istikahrah to Allah SWT
but i don't think its always the case that you get a sudden vision or dream afte performing Istikharah....May Allah swt guide you in making the correct decission...Ameen

Allah knows best

------
04-18-2007, 07:44 AM

Continue to make Istikharah brother/sister.

Remember, it does not necessarily have to be a dream, you might have a strong feeling towards something after a couple of days of doing Istikharah, or you might see a sign...

Inshaa Allaah, Allaah will guide you, put your trust in Allaah.

------
04-18-2007, 10:16 AM
atfer doing it i was quite scared to sleep

You shouldnt be scared, because after all, you put your trust in Allaah swt and you have to maintain that trust and faith in Allaah swt, lest the shaytaan leads you astray...

noahs_arc
04-21-2007, 09:27 AM

so yesterday after magrib i performed my ishtikarah.(to decide what to do about my current uni situation).
i would say somewhere between magrib and isha time i had a strong urge to just not to do anything. to leave eveything how it is and i would be ok.

this morning when i woke up i had the complete opposite feeling. to drop out of uni, reapply etc.

y r my feelings so controversial? is this even relevant to my ishtikarh? what do i do now?

------
04-21-2007, 09:42 AM

I think you should do Istikharah for 3 days the minimum and then see what happens...or what your feelings are.

Muhammad
04-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

You should do whatever you feel is the best - you don't have to wait for any visions or dreams as some people believe.

See this thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...-guidance.html

After having done so, he should follow the decision that he is strongly inclined to. If he feels no such inclination, then he should choose one of the options; he can rest assured that Allah will guide his steps. It has been reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "One who asks Allah for guidance in choosing the best course of action will never be a loser."

It is not at all necessary for a person to have visions or dreams following Istikharah. However, if a person does experience a vision or dream, and he feels strongly about it, he should follow it.” (Source: www.islam.ca)
After performing Salatul Istikharah , one should consult wise people and assess the situation to see how it might affect his deen (religion) and dunya. (life). Then he should choose the one that seems to be more beneficial, having firm belief that Allah will either bless his decision and make it easy for him to achieve what he desires, if it is good for him, or Allah will place obstacles in his path in order not to achieve what he desires. In the latter case, the person should be satisfied with the outcome, whatever it is, and commit his affair to Allah hoping for reward in the Hereafter. He should know that Allah does not decide except through His Divine wisdom and truth, even if it does not seem to us this way. Glory be to Him! We only know what He has taught us.
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545484

Abdul Fattah
04-21-2007, 03:51 PM
selam aleykum
I would like to add to this, that you should not view the istakhara prayer as a means of getting answers, like many people mistakenly do.
Istakhara is a prayer where you ask Allah subhana wa ta'ala to set the right path for you and commit to trusting his guidance in faith.

So trust in Allah subhana wa ta'ala, follow the guidance whether you have to look for it actively or it comes to you passively, and accept whichever of the possibilities come out inshaAllah.

noahs_arc
04-21-2007, 06:41 PM

in the above post it said something along the lines of 'go with the feeling' but i'm having 2 opposing feelings at the same time.

i want to do it, and i sit and think yeh this if for me and then i way the odds agianst eachother and its 99:1.

:omg: so i duno.

thanks wasalam

Abdul Fattah
04-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Selam aleykum Sister
Remember, there's no such thing as odds. Things don't happen by chance, they happen because Allah subhana wa ta'ala wants it so. So if you're inclined to do something even though the odds are'nt in favour, you need to trust Allah subhana wa ta'ala and go for it eitherway. On the other hand don't think that this means that you will beat the odds. It could be that it's not meant to be, but that you are guided to try either way because the venture itself is the real reward.

May Allah subhana wa ta'ala guide you on the straight path

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.