/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Signs of water seen on planet outside solar system!

Philosopher
04-11-2007, 04:08 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070411/...lanet_water_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Evidence of water has been detected for the first time in a planet outside our solar system, an astronomer said on Tuesday, a tantalizing find for scientists eager to know whether life exists beyond Earth.

Travis Barman, an astronomer at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona, said water vapor has been found in the atmosphere of a large, Jupiter-like gaseous planet located 150 light years from Earth in the constellation Pegasus. The planet is known as HD 209458b.

Other scientists reported in February that they were unable to find evidence of water in this planet's atmosphere, as well as another Jupiter-like planet.

"I'm very confident," Barman said in an interview. "It's definitely good news because water has been predicted to be present in the atmosphere of this planet and many of the other ones for some time."

Lowell Observatory, a privately owned astronomical research institution, announced the finding, which has been accepted for publication in the Astrophysical Journal. The research was backed by
NASA, it said.

The detection of the presence of water vapor was possible because this planet, from the vantage point of Earth, orbits directly in front of its star every 3-1/2 days, allowing crucial measurements to be made. It is what is known as a transiting planet.

Scientists searching for signs of life beyond Earth are keen to learn about the presence of water on other planets -- both in and beyond our solar system -- because water is thought to be fundamental to the existence of life.

Barman noted that a Jupiter-like gaseous planet such as this one, as opposed to a rocky one like Earth, is highly unlikely to harbor life, and said the finding about water vapor in its atmosphere does not answer one way or another questions about the existence of extraterrestrial life.

'PART OF PUZZLE'

The findings, he said, "are not adequate to really address a question as deep and profound as the existence of life elsewhere. We're not there yet."

"Certainly this is part of that puzzle -- understanding the distribution of water in other solar systems is important for understanding whether or not conditions for life are possible. The presence of water does not exclude the possibility of life, but it doesn't mean it's there, either," Barman added.

He said his findings do provide good reason to believe other planets beyond our solar system also have water vapor in their atmospheres.

The conclusions stemmed from an analysis of
Hubble Space Telescope measurements by Harvard University's Heather Knutson and new theoretical models developed by Barman, Lowell Observatory said.

Water is plentiful on Earth and has been found elsewhere in our solar system, for example in large deposits of ice at the north and south poles of Mars.

Planet HD 209458b also was the first planet outside the solar system found with an atmosphere and the first detected transiting planet. There are more than 200 known planets outside our solar system.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
04-11-2007, 04:16 AM
As a building block of life, finding water on an alien planet is obviously interesting. I would be more impressed with a lake or a sea.

Philosopher
04-11-2007, 04:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
As a building block of life, finding water on an alien planet is obviously interesting. I would be more impressed with a lake or a sea.
That,s not possible, considering the distance of this planet from the star is 1/8 the distance between Mars and the Sun.

Strzelecki
04-11-2007, 07:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
That,s not possible, considering the distance of this planet from the star is 1/8 the distance between Mars and the Sun.
Meaning the sea/ocean on this planet would boil?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Philosopher
04-11-2007, 02:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536
Meaning the sea/ocean on this planet would boil?
Not even boil, vaporize. The boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius. The average temperature there is 750 degrees Celsius.

Kittygyal
04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
salamualikum.
Ah, wheres bro Skilganon and bro Fishman they will really like this thread all historic :X
ma'assalama

Muezzin
04-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Very interesting news.

However...
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
The planet is known as HD 209458b.
Ah, come on, is that the best they could come up with? It sounds like a camera!

Kittygyal
04-11-2007, 02:30 PM
salamualikum.
^ lol a camera? more like some any o'l leters and numbers jumbled up
Ma'assalama

FatimaAsSideqah
04-11-2007, 02:32 PM
:sl:

Where is the evidence of taken pictures of it?

:w:

Kittygyal
04-11-2007, 02:35 PM
salamualikum.
^ sis good question but there is evidence like a ''source''
ma'assalama

Woodrow
04-11-2007, 02:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Very interesting news.

However...

that is just it's Catalog number. The common name is Osiris.

A well-known extrasolar planet nicknamed Osiris has surprised astronomers again.
all you ever thought you needed to know about Osiris:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/...ris_leaks.html

AB517
04-11-2007, 05:29 PM
lol, great answer. Oxygen can be produced by most stars so it "meeting" hydrogen is probaly very common. We are problibly a few generations (at least) away from see anything for sure. But to think we are the only ones, well I dont know, is kinda putting on a limit on god creating.

Late

Hemoo
04-12-2007, 08:41 AM
it's interesting how does the scientists are looking for signs of water in the other planets so that they can say that it may contain a life and living creatures.

just like the quran mentioned
Quran meaning translation (three translations) :

YUSUFALI: Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?

PICKTHAL: Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them, and we made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe?

SHAKIR: Do not those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the earth were closed up, but We have opened them; and We have made of water everything living, will they not then believe?

so what do you think?

don't you see that the quran is really compatible with modern science?

Strzelecki
04-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Very interesting news.

However...

I'm inclined to agree. Why can't they think up names we can pronounce in a matter of sylables?

Woodrow
04-12-2007, 02:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536
I'm inclined to agree. Why can't they think up names we can pronounce in a matter of sylables?
Probably the best way to understand why the space objects are named the way they are is because of the vast number. Currently the number of identified objects is in the billions. The number of

The objects that are visible to the naked eye, normaly do have a common name along with the catalog name. However that which you can see with the naked eye on a clear night is just a tiny fraction of the now identified objects that can be seen by the largest optical telescopes. then we have the radio telescopes and the Hubble that are stretching to distances that can not be comprehended.

I'm hooked up with the SETI project and I share Hard Drive space with the Radio Telescope at Areceibo. They send data to my PC that comes from a speck of sky that to the naked eye would look no larger then the area that your finger tip would cover if you held your hand out at arms length. Yet, within that spot are many millions of objects, Stars, star clusters, nebulae, Galaxies, Pulsars etc.

My PC runs 24/7 and is constantly number crunching that data into identifying stuff on each object within that tiny speck. even with the use of the PC it would take a lifetime to assign a name to each individual object within that spot. I've heard more then one Astronomer come to the conclusion that there are probably more stars then the number of atoms the Earth is compsed of.

so this is the reason for the names. Part of the name identifies the type of object, part of it identifies it's location. all of this has to be written in a form that is mathematically usable to a computer.

The world of astronomy exploded went it went from naked eye observation to optical telescopes. However, by the 1940's it was discovered that there is a workable maximum size that an optical telescope can be built. the next phase was the discovery that all objects give off radio waves. these radio waves have similar properties to the visible spectrum that we call light. They can be treated like light and give us the same information as optical telescopes, but they can be built in unlimited size for magnifications beyond belief.

Well getting off my long speech. Because of the vast number of space objects, word names are not feasible. to identify each one takes a specific number. If something catches the public eye, typically somebody will give it a pronounceable name.

Muezzin
04-16-2007, 08:01 PM
I understand about catalogue numbers, I was just taking the mickey.

Anyway, I think everyone should be glad I never got to name a celestial object, otherwise you'd all be calling the middle star of Orion's Belt 'Head lamp'.

Fishman
04-16-2007, 08:42 PM
:sl:
Although it's interesting that they found water, I would be more impressed if they managed to find liquid water somewhere. Hot steam isn't very conductive to life.
:w:

ranma1/2
04-17-2007, 05:11 AM
Very interesting news.

However...

Actually they got it wrong. It should be named Lisa. I sent out for name a star program and im sure that was the number they said i could name... he he he...

AB517
04-17-2007, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hemoo
it's interesting how does the scientists are looking for signs of water in the other planets so that they can say that it may contain a life and living creatures.

just like the quran mentioned
Quran meaning translation (three translations) :

YUSUFALI: Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?

PICKTHAL: Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them, and we made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe?

SHAKIR: Do not those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the earth were closed up, but We have opened them; and We have made of water everything living, will they not then believe?

so what do you think?

don't you see that the quran is really compatible with modern science?
your right, I was like when they found another planet. We all know they are out there. I thaught the same way "yea so what". Its its like riding your bike, the joy of being the first person to see it. Again you are right. The Bible, Koran, and Gita are isnpired by god to fit what we see around us. If we keep looking at his wunder creation we can then modify these books to get closer to the truth of his greatness(notice I just said closer).

Later

Woodrow
04-17-2007, 12:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AB517
your right, I was like when they found another planet. We all know they are out there. I thaught the same way "yea so what". Its its like riding your bike, the joy of being the first person to see it. Again you are right. The Bible, Koran, and Gita are isnpired by god to fit what we see around us. If we keep looking at his wunder creation we can then modify these books to get closer to the truth of his greatness(notice I just said closer).

Later
Close, but doesn't quite win first place.

If we keep looking at his wunder creation we can then modify these books to get closer to the truth of his greatness(notice I just said closer).
I will not speak for other beliefs, but as a Muslim, I know it would be imposable to Modify the Qur'an. The Qur'an is as it always was and any attempt at modification would not be the Qur'an. If we keep looking at his wunder creation we can then modify these books to get closer to the truth of his greatness(notice I just said closer).

AB517
04-17-2007, 02:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Close, but doesn't quite win first place.

I will not speak for other beliefs, but as a Muslim, I know it would be imposable to Modify the Qur'an. The Qur'an is as it always was and any attempt at modification would not be the Qur'an. If we keep looking at his wunder creation we can then modify these books to get closer to the truth of his greatness(notice I just said closer).
You are right, I am sorry. I as a christain can not change the Bible Nor you as a muslem can change the Koran no matter what, that would change our faith statements and we do not have the power to do that.

I stand corrected, thank you.
AB

AB517
04-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Please

I do not know islamic traditions, I in no way mean to offend.

If you quote me, do not change whats in the quotes. It really changes my meaning.

I am from The USA and we are not supposed to madify any words when we quote.:?

Is this a islamic custom (changeing quotes) that I should be aware of?

Thank You

Woodrow
04-17-2007, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AB517
Please

I do not know islamic traditions, I in no way mean to offend.

If you quote me, do not change whats in the quotes. It really changes my meaning.

I am from The USA and we are not supposed to madify any words when we quote.:?

Is this a islamic custom (changeing quotes) that I should be aware of?

Thank You
No this is not an Islamic only thing. You may have already noticed many of the members are not Muslim. A forum itself has no religion. The members of the forum are the ones with the religion.

I see what you are seeing as changing quotes. Many of us will either highlight, color, underline the part of a quote we are addressing, to point out what our reply directs to. the original statement remains unchanged, and if a person desires to see the original statement they need only click on the little arrow next to the name.

This simply means the entire post is not being referred to, just the highlighted portion. The rest is just shown to verify the source.

There is no intent to alter your words. The purpose is to provide reference to what is being addressed. I'm in the US also and this is standard practice on nearly every forum I belong to.

Your original words in the original post remain unchanged.

For example if I wanted to address part of my first paragraph, I would do this.

No this is not an Islamic only thing. You may have already noticed many of the members are not Muslim. A forum itself has no religion. The members of the forum are the ones with the religion.
I have not changed the quote, I have highlighted the part I wish to talk about and showing the source of the original statement.

In this case I would be addressing that I had made the statement that a forum has no religion.

If I were to quote that statement alone like this:

A forum itself has no religion.
That would be taking it out of context and I could address it in any manner I choose and give meanings to it that were not intended in the full paragraph.

AB517
04-17-2007, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

I see what you are seeing as changing quotes. Many of us will either highlight, color, underline the part of a quote we are addressing, to point out what our reply directs to. the original statement remains unchanged, and if a person desires to see the original statement they need only click on the little arrow next to the name.

This simply means the entire post is not being referred to, just the highlighted portion. The rest is just shown to verify the source.

There is no intent to alter your words. The purpose is to provide reference to what is being addressed. I'm in the US also and this is standard practice on nearly every forum I belong to.

Your original words in the original post remain unchanged.

For example if I wanted to address part of my first paragraph, I would do this.

I have not changed the quote, I have highlighted the part I wish to talk about and showing the source of the original statement.

In this case I would be addressing that I had made the statement that a forum has no religion.

If I were to quote that statement alone like this:

That would be taking it out of context and I could address it in any manner I choose and give meanings to it that were not intended in the full paragraph.

Thank you for the clarrification, we use bold text as ...like to "strees a point"

I knew it was something I missing or not seeing.

Thank you again, now I know.

AB

Keltoi
04-20-2007, 01:06 PM
For a planet to produce life as we know it, it would have to be a rocky planet, not made up of gas, like Jupiter. Be close enough to a star so that it is warm enough, but far enough away not to be too hot. Have the correct level of atmosphere, and on and on. The chances of finding such a place are slim, but if one out of a million planets fit this criteria, that leaves many, many planets out there that might possibly have life.

AB517
04-20-2007, 02:34 PM
For a planet to produce life as we know it, it would have to be a rocky planet, not made up of gas, like Jupiter. Be close enough to a star so that it is warm enough, but far enough away not to be too hot. Have the correct level of atmosphere, and on and on. The chances of finding such a place are slim, but if one out of a million planets fit this criteria, that leaves many, many planets out there that might possibly have life.

SO true, you said many great points.

To think we unserstand all life is foolish. to think they we are the only life out here, that is just blind. To think we have stopped evolving is self-centered and childish.

AB

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.