/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Being a new Muslim in a family of Non-Muslims

FatimaAsSideqah
04-13-2007, 05:33 PM
:salamext:

First of all, if you are in the position of being a new muslim in a family of non-Muslims, then many congratulations to you, and Alhumdalillah that you have been guided to the right path. May Allah Ta'ala reward you for your efforts in getting this far, and may Allah Ta'ala shower many blessings on you. May you be guided through this transition in your life and may your faith grow stronger and stronger with each day. May you become an excellent Muslim and through your example may others be inspired, and may your family find a contentment in your decision through your new found happiness in your life, InshAllah.

TELLING YOUR FAMILY YOU HAVE CONVERTED...

For some Muslim converts telling their family of their decision is no problem at all. Some families of converts are very happy at the choice to become a Muslim, and it is welcomed. Unfortunately though for other converts this is a difficult process, with various obstacles to face.

This page is designed to help new converts through this experience, or perhaps even 'old' converts who have kept their new religion hidden for some time. There is no magical answer as all families are different and will inevitably react in various ways. However, if we cannot provide exact answers, we can certainly go a long way to helping converts feel more comfortable in this situation, and by sharing with each other we will all grow stronger and more able to face problems InshAllah.

Before we get into the possible family problems and the suggested solutions we should first emphasize that although some converts have some problems, there are many others who do not. This page is designed to help those who are met with obstacles, so may, unavoidably, come across as negative. So please remember that some families of converts are very happy that their relative has converted. Some reasons for the happy reactions are as follows:

• they are happy that the relative concerned has found God.
  • they are happy that the relative concerned will be leading a moral life, especially in this day and age.
  • the family have seen the happiness that the relative concerned has found and this in turn makes them happy.
  • they are pleased that the relative concerned now has discipline and stability in their life.

• families knowledgable about Islam, although they may not convert themselves, realise the truth about Islam (as opposed to the propaganda).

Please remember that the anticipation of telling your family about your new religion is often worse than the reality. We find that we re-run the moment over and over in our minds, imagining the worst possible outcome. Then, when we come to actually having the discussion, things go much better than expected.

So, if your worries are more self created, rather than based on 'real problems' them the advice would be to just get it over and done with. I totally understand that this is easier said than done, but having spent a long time pondering the event myself, I know that I would have been better just getting on with it. The bottom line is that it is a conversation that you will have to have with your family, or at least your parents, one day, so why not get the ball rolling now and start to deal with any issues that arise.

For those who have bigger concerns with telling their families, we have tried to identify the common concerns, and where we can offer some help. This may also be useful to those who did go ahead and tell their family, but are now experiencing problems. Please do not look at the possible problems below and get yourselves worried, we have not identified a possible problem without suggesting a possible solution.

It is very unlikely that you would face more than one or two of these problems, if any at all, and anyway it is better to be prepared just in case.

Let us start by reminding ourselves what the Quran says (2.286):

Allah (swt) does not impose upon any soul a duty but to the extent of it's ability; for it is (the benefit of) what it has earned, and upon it (the evil of) what it has wrought: Our Lord! do not punish us if we forget or make a mistake; Our Lord! do not lay on us a burden as Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! do not impose upon us that which we have not the strength to bear; and pardon us and grant us protection and have mercy on us, Thou art our Patron, so help us against the unbelieving people.

If we keep this in mind we will be fine.

Alhumdalillah, as converts, Allah Ta'ala immediately allows us this opportunity to spread Islam within our family and InshAllah earn some good deeds.

Your family are religious, practising another faith. How will they react when they hear you have chosen a different path for yourself?

Possible Solution:http://www.convertstoislam.com/Copin...html#solution1

Your family are not at all religious and cannot understand why you would want to become religious.

Possible Solution: http://www.convertstoislam.com/Copin...html#solution2

Your family have been taken in by the negative propaganda and as a result they perceive Islam to be violent. Reactions such as 'You are associating with terrorists'.

Possible Solution: http://www.convertstoislam.com/Copin...html#solution3

Your family may have the wrong ideas about how Islam treats women.

Possible Solution:http://www.convertstoislam.com/Copin...html#solution4

Your family think that religion causes war (of course it is people that do this!).

Possible Solution: http://www.convertstoislam.com/Copin...html#solution5

Your family suggest that you just take the best bits out of all the religions.

Possible Solution: http://www.convertstoislam.com/Copin...html#solution6

Your family are concerned about 'what will other people think?'

Possible Solution: http://www.convertstoislam.com/Copin...html#solution7

Your parents in particular may feel that they have 'lost' you, and that you are no longer the same child that they brought up. Perhaps they feel that you have betrayed them by selecting a different life for yourself.

Possible Solution: http://www.convertstoislam.com/Copin...html#solution8

Your family may think that you have become a Muslim because of someone else, and not because you really believe it.

Possible Solution: http://www.convertstoislam.com/Copin...html#solution9

Who to Tell?

When I use the word 'family' this is referring to whoever you decide. For myself, I was concerned with telling my parents and my brother about my change of religion. Telling other family members was something that to me was not as urgent, but would be necessary in time. I felt that I wanted to gain the understanding and hopefully the support of my parents prior to tackling anyone else. For others though, they may have other family members that they would want to talk to first. Perhaps an aunt who you feel is open minded and receptive to new ideas, who in fact, may help you talk with your parents. Or perhaps a brother or sister would be easier to tell initially before talking to your parents. This is just something to consider.

What Method to use to tell your family?

The actual method of telling your family really comes down to the relationship that you have with them. Have you always had a relationship that allows the free and easy discussion of any topic? Or is your relationship good, but discussions of topics that might rock the boat are rare? Or perhaps you feel you have a not so good relationship with them.

Face to Face Conversation

I would advise the best method is to just sit down and talk to them in an environment that will allow them to express their views freely, ie talk to them privately, somewhere where they and you feel comfortable. This will allow for a conversaton to take place, giving them the opportunity to ask questions and you the opportunity to get across the main points that you feel are important. I know you may feel that you want some of your Muslim friends with you, but this may stifle your family's reaction, they may not feel they can ask questions about the religion in front of a Muslim audience for example.
A face to face conversation also gives you the opportunity to observe their real reactions and body language, something that will be lost with a telephone call or letter.

A Letter

If you feel that you are unable to talk to your family face to face then writing a letter is an option to consider. A letter has the advantage of allowing you time to write and re-write until you are happy that you have expressed yourself in the best possible way. You have the opportunity to make sure that you include everything that you want and that the best possible wording is used.

The disadvantage is clear, you can niether see nor hear their initial reactions. The reaction that you receive will be a delayed reaction, ie when you next see your family, or when they have read and digested your letter they will phone you. A lot can be learned from witnessing their initial reaction, although some may prefer to only get a reaction once the family have had some time to contemplate what you have told them.

You might want to consider telling your family face to face, but afterwards leave them with a letter that you had previously prepared. This would ensure any points that you were not able to convey during the conversation, were not missed altogether.

A Phone Call

This method does not really apply too well to individuals who still live with their family. Going out of the house to then phone back to the house to tell them, only then to return to the house later, does not seem the best option :)
For those living apart from their family, this could be considered. However, if the family live relatively close by then I would suggest telling them face to face, rather than down the phone, and only consider the phone in the cases where family live at a distance and visits are few and far between.
Using the phone to tell family still involves having to talk to them, so if possible, going the extra step and telling them face to face would be better. The phone obviously stops you seeing their reaction, it is not always easy to get a true understanding of someone's real feelings down the phone. I feel that a phonecall to talk to your family about such a matter could also trivialise the issue, which is obviously highly important in your life.
However, if this is the method that you feel suits you best, then of course do it this way.

When it comes to telling other family members then a phone call or a letter could be the best option and the easiest in some cases.

Clearly this is an individual choice and there is no right or wrong. You must go with the option that you feel is best for you. Remember in many cases the reaction from family is very good, and in all cases, whatever the reaction, you will feel a sense of relief from simply telling them.

What to Say?

When you are telling your family take the time to explain to them that you have made a decision in your life, explain that it is an informed decision that you have made for yourself. You can explain some of your reasons for selecting Islam. If appropriate you can thank them for bringing you up in such a way that you have an interest in religion in the first place. You can address any possible concerns that you think they may have. You can reassure them that you are still the same person, and that you will be trying to lead a life of high morals and manners, a life that you hope will make them proud. You might decide to explain a little about how your life will change from now on.
I would suggest not going overboard with your words. Remember the main objective here is to let them know of your decision and to add some words that will help them to accept your decision and InshAllah be happy for you. It is not the objective to explain all the Islamic teachings and convert them with your words, this can come with time InshAllah.

Whichever method you choose to tell your family this has to be an individual choice of words. You will know the best way to approach the subject with your parents. At the very least you are prepared, you have considered what some of their concerns might be, and you have thought of some possible solutions to these concerns. For example, if they are worried that women are treated badly in Islam, then you can explain the reality to them. So as far as you are able, you are ready to deal with any misgivings they might have.

Don't try and 'over prepare'. Don't spend too much time thinking 'what if they say this..', 'what if they say that..'. Don't get too caught up in this beforehand, you will find that once you start talking to them your words will flow naturally with the help of Allah Ta'ala.

Remember, there is nothing wrong in not knowing the answer to a question. If your family ask you a question and you do not know the answer, simply aknowledge the question and let them know that you are not totally sure and that you would like to find out for certain and then get back to them. This could actually be an ideal opportunity to enable you to bring up the topic of religion at a future date.

How to act during the discussion with your family.

As a Muslim you will of course be trying to conduct yourself in accordance with Islam. You will be aware of the manners that a Muslim must try to show etc, you will be aware of the qualities of patience and understanding. Most importantly you will be aware of the rights of your parents and the way in which you should treat them.

Remember that you should not raise your voice to your parents. Just show them love and kindness throughout the discussion. If there are times when a debate starts, as is often the case when discussing religion, remember to speak calmly and softly, and remember to keep smiling :)

Despite your sincerity, you may still feel a little nervous at the start. Your nerves may give an incorrect impression to your family, so try to remain calm and composed, and inshaAllah the strength of your faith will see you through your tough times.

Giving your family books

You may want to have a couple of books to hand so that if appropriate you can offer them to your family at the end of your discussion. InshaAllah they will be interested to increase their understanding of the path you have chosen.

Obviously, if you fear that they will disrespect the books, then ensure that you do not give them any that contain the Quran.

:wasalamex

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Xena
01-25-2011, 01:21 AM
It is really hard! I converted a few years ago when I was about 12y/o. My brothers and sister were completely fine with, but even though I "told" my other family members they still cant except it! Even in the month of Ramadan and I tell them that I can't eat they still wont believe me. It's kinda scary and just hard overall... when subjects of racism against "those Muslim terrorist" occur I try to speak up ,but end up biting my tongue. And recently I have been thinking about wearing my hijab full time. But have no idea how to tell them :C Btw. Friends can be very supportive. And if you tell a "friend" that your Muslim and they completely against it: they aren't your true friends and aren't a very nice person! (happend to me once :p) Well, that was just a little bit of my experiences and insight :D
Xena :]

kite runner
02-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Mashallah this post is very good. I also had trouble with my family , i secretly moved out and got married, emailed them and told them. They are just happy that I am safe and have come to accept me as a muslim although still get a bit of trouble when wearing muslim clothes, praying etc. seems they can accept me as muslim by name but don't want me practicing :(

Sunnie Ameena
03-10-2011, 02:50 PM
I have not converted, but have been thinking on it. I know that my family (parents and siblings) will never except itl. They are Christians, but are also very racist, and judgmental. Christians are always saying that a person should not judge others, but many do. They associate Muslim faith with bad things, and I think that is unfair, because that is judging someone for their faith in God. God should be first and foremost in a person's life. My husband is giving me his full support in my beliefs. I hope to learn so much more. Sunnie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
03-11-2011, 11:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by
God should be first and foremost in a person's life.

You already have the first and most important stance masha Allah.

May Allah SWT guide you and your family to the straight path. amiin.

Amat Allah
03-11-2011, 11:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sunniemontana
I have not converted, but have been thinking on it. I know that my family (parents and siblings) will never except itl. They are Christians, but are also very racist, and judgmental. Christians are always saying that a person should not judge others, but many do. They associate Muslim faith with bad things, and I think that is unfair, because that is judging someone for their faith in God. God should be first and foremost in a person's life. My husband is giving me his full support in my beliefs. I hope to learn so much more. Sunnie

May Allah The Lord of the world and The Owner and Creator of heavens and earth lead your way my sweetheart to the path of the endless happiness and give you the best of this life and of the Hereafter and all of His creatures Ameeeeeen

Never be worried ever honey ; cause whenever you walk to Allah; He runs to you and help you to be His slave and servant...why to worry about people when I have The Lord of the people my dear ?

Allah has blessed you with an amazing husband; whom supporting you so, why to hesitate when you have him supporting you after Allah ?

May Allah be with you both Ameeen

take care of yourself my precious sister...

humbly, your sister no matter what:

Amat Allah.

Ali Mujahidin
03-12-2011, 01:34 AM
When I converted to Islam so very long ago, my own mother totally refused to acknowledge my existence for many years. As far as she is concerned, I might as well be dead. This was very painful for both my mother and me. I was her favorite child and I loved my mother very much.

Over the years, things gradually changed. When she finally realized that by converting to Islam, I had not turned into an alien with four legs and eight arms, so to say, she accepted me as her son again. Now I pray night and day that Allah will bless my mother with the nur of hidayah before she leaves this world. Ameen.

Amat Allah
03-12-2011, 11:24 AM
May Allah keep you my respected brother firm on the straight path and guide your precious mother to Him Ameeeeeen

MustafaMc
03-12-2011, 01:11 PM
I too had difficulties with my family when I converted to Islam 29 years ago. Although my parents weren't particularly religious, they were still Christians and believed that forgiveness of sins came only through believing in Jesus as the Son of God. They saw that I was intentionally rejecting the 'free gift of salvation' and choosing the Hellfire over Paradise. I guess it was hard for them to see that I still believed in God and was following what I felt was the Truth. I had ceased practicing Islam after a few years in part due to the family conflicts and then after several more years I returned to practicing Islam in 2001. I still am the only Muslim in my entire family except for my wife.

Ali Mujahidin
03-12-2011, 01:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by
May Allah keep you my respected brother firm on the straight path and guide your precious mother to Him Ameeeeeen

JazakuLLah, dear sister, I thank you sincerely for your dua. My father has already passed away. I have asked every ustaz I met but none has told me that I can do anything more for my late father. Nevertheless, I am going to strive to memorize the Quran because I was told that a hafiz can save 7 to 10 members of his immediate family from the fires of nar. I pray that Allah will take pity on my feeble efforts. Insha Allah.

Amat Allah
03-13-2011, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I too had difficulties with my family when I converted to Islam 29 years ago. Although my parents weren't particularly religious, they were still Christians and believed that forgiveness of sins came only through believing in Jesus as the Son of God. They saw that I was intentionally rejecting the 'free gift of salvation' and choosing the Hellfire over Paradise. I guess it was hard for them to see that I still believed in God and was following what I felt was the Truth. I had ceased practicing Islam after a few years in part due to the family conflicts and then after several more years I returned to practicing Islam in 2001. I still am the only Muslim in my entire family except for my wife.
may Allah keep you firm on His path of truth and May Allah never take the souls of your family members till they say the Shahadah sincerely and be guided to Allah and all Jinn and Mankind too Ameeen

I really respect you all and praying from Allah to make you enter Al Firdaws without being reckoning Ameeeeeen I was away from Allah then He guided me to Him and my family began to dislike the new me , they started call me with different name like: terrorist, extremist,...etc May Allah guide them all Ameeeen

I started feeling lonely then Allah taught me that His company is the best ever and felt the beauty of being alone in the darkness coversing and praying to my Lord ...Sub`haan Allah ; you just forget this world and fear not loneliness cause it is not there anymore...people gave you their backs but you have the best always and forever you have the Lord of people....

Sub`haan Allah; Allah wanted me to find those who share with me the same feelings and the same goal so, He The Most Exalted leaded me to this forum laa ilaha illa Allah... I found the best people I have ever known here and my heart got attached to all of you that if it was permitted for me as a female to kiss the head and hand of each one of you then I would never stop my self cause I love you all sooo much...you are a gift , a great blessings from Allah that I would never ever be able to thank Him enough for it and for everything He has blessed me with and still...you are all like my children...yes I am young to be a mother for those whom older than me but this is what I feel...and I love this feeling which Allah planted in my heart for my precious and dear brothers and sisters and May Allah bless this feeling till I meet Him and May Allah make me a good sister and mother for all of you but if I am going to hurt anyone of you then May Allah protect you all from me and from all harms in this life and in the Hereafter Ameeeeeeen

format_quote Originally Posted by ThisOldMan
JazakuLLah, dear sister, I thank you sincerely for your dua. My father has already passed away. I have asked every ustaz I met but none has told me that I can do anything more for my late father. Nevertheless, I am going to strive to memorize the Quran because I was told that a hafiz can save 7 to 10 members of his immediate family from the fires of nar. I pray that Allah will take pity on my feeble efforts. Insha Allah.
Wa Iyakum my respected brother and May Allah give you the best of this Dunya and the best of Al Akhirah and brother Mustafa and all Jinn and Mankind Ameeeeeen

May Allah fill your hearts with Qur`aan, Sunnah and their knowledge and May He fill your hearts with Taqwa Imaan peace His love His rememberance and the endless happiness and satisfaction always and forever Ameeeeeeeen

leaving you all under Allah`s sight, care and protection...

MustafaMc
03-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Jazak Allahu khair, sister, I have never read sweeter words in my whole life. You brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. Ameen to all of your du'a.

Amat Allah
03-14-2011, 02:52 AM
Wa Iyakum my respected brother Ameeen

Khalil_Allah
03-14-2011, 07:01 AM
in Islam, Allah will provide family for you when you think you are alone. There are generally people at the masajid at the prescribed times for prayer if you live near a masjid. This is obviously true especially at the Friday prayer. In these people, you can find "uncles" and "aunts" or brothers and sisters in Islam. They will be or guide you to people who will be like family for you, because they see you like an orphan in need of support. And indeed you are when you become muslim out of a non-muslim family. If I'm not mistaken, new Muslims are even entitled to zakat, subhanallah.

I converted and tried to convince my family that I made a good decision when I had very limited knowledge of Islam. It really took me nowhere. Then I just gave up and even turned back to partaking in certain haraam activities so that I could feel like one of the family again. It took a few years to find a balance between living as a muslim among my non-religious family. Now I try to do sneaky da'wah by teaching them virtues of Islam without necessarily saying these virtues are Islamic. I guess I just hope that one day, they will see in my character and what I am saying that I chose the right path. May Allah direct their hearts to Islam, inshaALlah ya Rabbi.

But of all things that have happened, I will say that the best thing for me was to marry a religious girl from a religious Muslim family. They have embraced me as one of their own and I feel more at home among my in-laws than among my own family. I still visit my family all the time and treat them with respect and mercy, as we are commanded to do. Truly though, I feel blessed that Allah has increased my family through this marriage such that I am surrounded by relatives who are Muslims. And if Allah does not guide my family to Islam, although I pray that He does, then I will still be thankful for the family He brought through my wife. They are truly a blessing to me.

Ali Mujahidin
03-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Dear brother KhalilAllah,
I am very happy for you. I pray that Allah will bless your marriage with many children. Insha Allah.

Khalil_Allah
03-14-2011, 07:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ThisOldMan
Dear brother KhalilAllah,
I am very happy for you. I pray that Allah will bless your marriage with many children. Insha Allah.
ameen. allahi barak feek ya akhi

Amat Allah
03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
May Allah keep you firm my respected brother and May He never prevent your family from guidance and all Jinn and Mankind Ameeeeeeen

We are the slaves and servants of the Most Merciful the Most Generous, whenever you leave something for His sake then be sure that He will give you the best ever...laa ilaha illa Allah...I never been happy till I knew my Lord All Praise, Glory and Thanks be to Allah...

He gave me so much and still ...He gave me the precious family of Islamic board which embraced me as its precious and dear child...indeed Alhamdulillah...

May Allah preserve you , your family and the whole Ummah Ameeeeeen

MustafaMc
03-14-2011, 11:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khalil_Allah
But of all things that have happened, I will say that the best thing for me was to marry a religious girl from a religious Muslim family. They have embraced me as one of their own and I feel more at home among my in-laws than among my own family.
You have been truly blessed with a Muslim wife and her family. May Allah (swt) grant that you have pious children that remain Muslim their whole life.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.