/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do any Hadiths contradict the Quran?

ManchesterFolk
04-13-2007, 07:40 PM
I'd like to know since I have taken an interest in reading the hadiths.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Talha777
04-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Authentic hadith are the sunnat of the Holy Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa salaam) who was perfect with regard to his conveying of the message of Islam. Therefore, authentic hadith never contradict the Holy Quran. I am not a faqih, but I also believe that authentic sunnat can naskh (abrogate) a commandment/regulation of the Holy Quran. however I am not entirely sure if this is correct, so maybe if someone who is knowledgable can verify this, it would be appreciated. Jazak Allah khair.

- Qatada -
04-13-2007, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
I'd like to know since I have taken an interest in reading the hadiths.

There are many ahadith which may be attributed to the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him.) Some weak while others authentic etc. This is seen through the chain of narrators [their character, piety, strength of memory etc] And also through the text (matn) - whether it contradicts the Qur'an, or the other authentic Sunnah.

However, those which are authentic are the Sunnah. And the Sunnah is the way of the Prophet of Allaah, peace be upon him.

I think you'll find these links beneficial inshaa Allaah:
http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...nah-islam.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...m-hadeeth.html

Allaah says in the Qur'an:

(And verily, you [O Muhammad] are on an exalted (standard of) character.) [Qur'an Al Qalam (the Pen) 68:4]

(And verily, you are on an exalted (standard of) character.) "It has been mentioned to us that Sa`d bin Hisham asked `A'ishah about the character of the Messenger of Allah , so she replied: `Have you not read the Qur'an' Sa`d said: `Of course.' Then she said: `Verily, the character of the Messenger of Allah was the Qur'an.''' `Abdur-Razzaq recorded similar to this and Imam Muslim recorded it in his Sahih on the authority of Qatadah in its full length. This means that he would act according to the commands and the prohibition in the Qur'an.

His nature and character were patterned according to the Qur'an, and he abandoned his natural disposition (i.e., the carnal nature). So whatever the Qur'an commanded, he did it, and whatever it forbade, he avoided it. Along with this, Allah gave him the exalted character, which included the qualities of modesty, kindness, bravery, pardoning, gentleness and every other good characteristic.

This is like that which has been confirmed in the Two Sahihs that Anas said, "I served the Messenger of Allah for ten years, and he never said a word of displeasure to me (Uff), nor did he ever say to me concerning something I had done: `Why did you do that' And he never said to me concerning something I had not done: `Why didn't you do this' He had the best character, and I never touched any silk or anything else that was softer than the palm of the Messenger of Allah . And I never smelled any musk or perfume that had a better fragrance than the sweat of the Messenger of Allah.'' Imam Al-Bukhari recorded that Al-Bara' said, "The Messenger of Allah had the most handsome face of all the people, and he had the best behavior of all of the people. And he was not tall, nor was he short.'' The Hadiths concerning this matter are numerous. Abu `Isa At-Tirmidhi has a complete book on this subject called Kitab Ash-Shama'il. Imam Ahmad recorded that `A'ishah said, "The Messenger of Allah never struck a servant of his with his hand, nor did he ever hit a woman. He never hit anything with his hand, except for when he was fighting Jihad in the cause of Allah. And he was never given the option between two things except that the most beloved of the two to him was the easiest of them, as long as it did not involve sin. If it did involve sin, then he stayed farther away from sin than any of the people. He would not avenge himself concerning anything that was done to him, except if the limits of Allah were transgressed. Then, in that case he would avenge for the sake of Allah.'' Imam Ahmad also recorded from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allah said,

«إِنَّمَا بُعِثْتُ لِأُتَمِّمَ صَالِحَ الْأَخْلَاق»

(I have only been sent to perfect righteous behavior.)

[SOURCE]

The Qur'an and the Sunnah are equal in regard to law since Allaah Almighty says:

By the Star when it goes down,-

Your Companion is neither astray nor being misled.

Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) Desire.

It is no less than inspiration sent down to him:

[Qur'an Al Najm [The Star]: 53: 1-4]

And Allaah knows best.Regards.

ManchesterFolk
04-13-2007, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
It's okay guys, calm down now. :)

Thanks.
Thank you for you answer Fi Sabilillah. You have been most helpful. So how did so many hadiths come into existance that are false. How do we know for sure what is true and not. Completly based on if it contradicts the Quran or not?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ra`eesah
04-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

The hadiths do not contradict there will be some that seem that way, but in actual fact one of them has been abrogated after the other one was taught. But never do they contradict each other or the Qura`an. And if it seems to be that way then it means that the hadith has a certain level of status, meaning one is more authentic then the next. There are also hadiths that are fabricated, so make sure the hadith you come across is either Authentic or Accepted Good in status.

Fabricated Ahadith come after the time of the Prophet (sallahu `alahi wasalaam) at the time of Imam Abu Hanifa, in Kufa Iraq people came out with lots of fabricated ahadith.

Some came out with fake hadiths to gain profit and sell, example a store keeper will tell people,

“The Prophet (sallahu `alahi wasalaam) said if you have this it (whatever it is he was selling) is good and will safe you from harm.

So most of the time fabricated ahadith came for the main reason of personal gain. Also so that people could follow their methodology. Like there was this fabricated hadith that was told to the people so that they would follow a certain school of thought

“The Prophet (sallahu `alahi wasalaam) The There will come a man who is more deviating the Ibless (Shaytaan) and his name is Muhammad ibn Idris."

If you do not know who that is, that is Imam Shafi`i. Wa`naoothobillaah.

Also there are ahadith saying

“The prophet (sallahu `alahi wasalaam) Love the Arabs, because I am from the Arabs"

of course this is also personal gain for the Arabs.

Also some fabricated ahadith were taken from common proverbs.

"Seek knowledge even if you go to China.”

Alhamdulillaah the scholars of Hadith have done many works on the Science of hadith. That is why you should always ask for the source of the hadith that you hear or read.

ManchesterFolk
04-13-2007, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ra`eesah
The hadiths do not contradict there will be some that seem that way, but in actual fact one of them has been abrogated after the other one was taught. But never do they contradict each other or the Qura`an. And if it seems to be that way then it means that the hadith has a certain level of status, meaning one is more authentic then the next. There are also hadiths that are fabricated, so make sure the hadith you come across is either Authentic or Accepted Good in status.
Not one ever contradicts? Why would they be abrogated as well?

amirah_87
04-13-2007, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
Authentic hadith are the sunnat of the Holy Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa salaam) who was perfect with regard to his conveying of the message of Islam. Therefore, authentic hadith never contradict the Holy Quran. I am not a faqih, but I also believe that authentic sunnat can naskh (abrogate) a commandment/regulation of the Holy Quran. however I am not entirely sure if this is correct, so maybe if someone who is knowledgable can verify this, it would be appreciated. Jazak Allah khair.
:sl:

Sheikh Ibn Utahimeen mentions in his book "Al-Usuul min Ilmil Usuul" that An-Nuskh (Abrogation) is divided into four parts, one of them being "the abrogation of the Qur'aan by the sunnah".. he (rahimahullah) then goes onto say:

However, I have not been able to come up with a sound example for this.

Wallaahu a'lam.

Ra`eesah
04-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Reasons why hadiths are abrogated is because they ( the compainons) are in the process of learning. The prophet (sallahu `alahi wasalaam) taught them a certain way then it changed.

Allaah in the Quran says:

None of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten but We substitute something better or similar; knowest thou not that Allah hath power over all things? (Baqarah – 106)

Examples of this we can get from the Quran and the Sunnaah Just from the top of my head.

1. The time of Alcohol, they were not allowed to pray while they were drunk. Then it has been made Haram in totality.

2. Also when they were not allowed to write down ahadith, he had prohibited them from doing so, then later on allowed it. The reason for this was because he feared that the Quran and the ahadith would be mixed.

3. The direction of the Qiblah was also changed and that hadith has been abrogated. He use to face the Baytul Maqdis,then it changed to the Kab`a.

Those are just a few.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Im getting confused :confused: lol

Ra`eesah
04-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Yes I know, this will confuse you this is in a high level of Science of Hadith.

The four categories of abrogation:

1 Qur’an abrogates Qur’an.
2 Qur’an abrogates sunna.
3 Sunna abrogates Qur’an.
4 Sunna abrogates sunna."

NoName55
04-13-2007, 08:59 PM
but I also believe that authentic sunnat can naskh (abrogate) a commandment/regulation of the Holy Quran
the abrogation of the Qur'aan by the sunnah".
If this does not confuse poor fellow Machester folk (I am confused myself) I don't know what will.

:(
None of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten but We substitute something better or similar; knowest thou not that Allah hath power over all things? (Baqarah – 106)

Examples of this we can get from the Quran and the Sunnaah Just from the top of my head.

1. The time of Alcohol, they were not allowed to pray while they were drunk. Then it has been made Haram in totality.

2. Also when they were not allowed to write down ahadith, he had prohibited them from doing so, then later on allowed it. The reason for this was because he feared that the Quran and the ahadith would be mixed.

3. The direction of the Qiblah was also changed and that hadith has been abrogated. He use to face the Baytul Maqdis,then it changed to the Kab`a.
:thumbs_up

but in actual fact one of them has been abrogated after the other one was taught
I think this was a typo and sister missed the N

ManchesterFolk
04-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Yes I know, this will confuse you this is in a high level of Science of Hadith.

The four categories of abrogation:

1 Qur’an abrogates Qur’an.
2 Qur’an abrogates sunna.
3 Sunna abrogates Qur’an.
4 Sunna abrogates sunna."
The Sunna abrogates the Quran!!!!????

I'm not confused, but dumbfounded!

- Qatada -
04-13-2007, 09:03 PM
The Sunna abrogates the Quran!!!!????

I'm not confused, but dumbfounded!

Just take it a step at a time. :) Try reading the links i gave you on the earlier post and you'll understand inshaa Allaah [God willing.]

I think you've been reading too much today, so take everything step by step. And i've already stated before in the thread, - the Qur'an and Sunnah in matters of law are equal.

Regards.

Ra`eesah
04-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Yes, I agree you should get away, because like I said this is a very deep and complex issue of Science of Hadith not anyone can understand it off the bat it needs to be explained. Insha`Allaah I can write something up, but like br.Fisabillah said read the links he posted.

ManchesterFolk
04-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Yes, I agree you should get away, because like I said this is a very deep and complex issue of Science of Hadith not anyone can understand it off the bat it needs to be explained. Insha`Allaah I can write something up, but like br.Fisabillah said read the links he posted.
I'm trying to get it, but don't you believe the Quran to be written by Allah? If so were the Sunna? :?

I'm so confused right now.

Ra`eesah
04-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Subhanallaah, its not even that complex, and no the Quran was not written by Allaah. I think what you should be learning about is the basics, leave these things to those who understand.

- Qatada -
04-13-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm trying to get it, but don't you believe the Quran to be written by Allah?

The Qur'an was revealed to His final Messenger through His Arch Angel Gabriel [Jibreel.] The same angel who came to the other prophets which the christians mistakenly claim is part of God, i.e. the Holy Spirit. Even though the holy spirit truely refers to angel Gabriel.

It was revealed over a period of 23yrs, in situations within the lifetime of the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him.) You'll be surprised to know that the name Muhammad is only mentioned about 4times in the Qur'an. Whereas the names of many prophets before have been mentioned countless amount of times. So it shows that he (peace be upon him) never forged it, because when man desires power, he desires to be known. But Muhammad (peace be upon him) lived poor, died poor and brought the world from the darkness of oppression of the middle ages, into the light of justice and freedom which we have now today, by the will of Allaah.

As i've mentioned in another thread, the companions of the Messenger of Allaah also writ the Qur'an, this is kept in the Museum of Turkey today.

Just see how the world changed since the message was revealed to Muhammad (peace be upon him), in every way:

Islamic history

Try listening to the Qur'an here [arabic and english translation]:
http://sabbir.com/DownloadHalal.html

If so were the Sunna? :?

The Sunnah was written by some companions, and also their students etc. Since the arabs were an illiterate nation, until Islaam came and changed that, the praise is for Allaah.

Patience.. :)

ManchesterFolk
04-13-2007, 09:55 PM
The Qur'an was revealed to His final Messenger through His Arch Angel Gabriel [Jibreel.] The same angel who came to the other prophets which the christians mistakenly claim is part of God, i.e. the Holy Spirit. Even though the holy spirit truely refers to angel Gabriel.
So you believe Gabriel impregnated Marry?

Skillganon
04-13-2007, 10:21 PM
What you mean Gabriel Impregnated Marry?

I am not aware muslims of holding that view!

Here is the matter concerning Isa son of maryam's birth.
Isa was Created Without a Father

When Maryam heard the good news that the angels conveyed from Allah, she said;

[رَبِّ أَنَّى يَكُونُ لِى وَلَدٌ وَلَمْ يَمْسَسْنِى بَشَرٌ]

("O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me.'')

Mary said, "How can I have a son while I did not marry, nor intend to marry, nor am I an indecent woman, may Allah forbid'' The angel conveyed to Maryam, Allah's answer,

[كَذَلِكَ اللَّهُ يَخْلُقُ مَا يَشَآءُ]

(So (it will be) for Allah creates what He wills.)

He is Mighty in power and nothing escapes His ability. Allah used the word `create' here instead of the word `does' as in the tale about Zakariyya [3:40], to eradicate any evil thought concerning `Isa. Allah next emphasized this fact when He said,

[إِذَا قَضَى أَمْرًا فَإِنَّمَا يَقُولُ لَهُ كُن فَيَكُونُ]

(When He has decreed something, He says to it only: "Be! ـ and it is.) meaning, what Allah wills, comes into existence instantly and without delay. In another Ayah, Allah said,

[وَمَآ أَمْرُنَآ إِلاَّ وَحِدَةٌ كَلَمْحٍ بِالْبَصَرِ ]

(And Our commandment is but one as the twinkling of an eye.) [54:50], meaning, "We only issue the command once, and it comes into existence instantly, as fast as, and faster than, a blink of the eye. ''

[وَيُعَلِّمُهُ الْكِتَـبَ وَالْحِكْمَةَ وَالتَّوْرَاةَ وَالإِنجِيلَ - وَرَسُولاً إِلَى بَنِى إِسْرَءِيلَ أَنِّى قَدْ جِئْتُكُمْ بِآيَةٍ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ أَنِى أَخْلُقُ لَكُمْ مِّنَ الطِّينِ كَهَيْئَةِ الطَّيْرِ فَأَنفُخُ فِيهِ فَيَكُونُ طَيْرًا بِإِذْنِ اللَّهِ وَأُبْرِىءُ الاٌّكْمَهَ والاٌّبْرَصَ وَأُحْىِ الْمَوْتَى بِإِذْنِ اللَّهِ وَأُنَبِّئُكُم بِمَا تَأْكُلُونَ وَمَا تَدَّخِرُونَ فِى بُيُوتِكُمْ إِنَّ فِي ذَلِكَ لأَيَةً لَّكُمْ إِن كُنتُم مُّؤْمِنِينَ - وَمُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيَّ مِنَ التَّوْرَاةِ وَلاٌّحِلَّ لَكُم بَعْضَ الَّذِي حُرِّمَ عَلَيْكُمْ وَجِئْتُكُمْ بِأَيَةٍ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ فَاتَّقُواْ اللَّهَ وَأَطِيعُونِ - إِنَّ اللَّهَ رَبِّى وَرَبُّكُمْ فَاعْبُدُوهُ هَـذَا صِرَطٌ مُّسْتَقِيمٌ ]

(48. And He will teach him the Book and Al-Hikmah, and the Tawrah and the Injil.) (49. And will make him a Messenger to the Children of Israel (saying): "I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, that I design for you out of clay, a figure like that of a bird, and breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by Allah's leave; and I heal the blind, and the leper, and I bring the dead to life by Allah's leave. And I inform you of what you eat, and what you store in your houses. Surely, therein is a sign for you, if you believe.'') (50. "(And I have come) confirming that which was before me of the Tawrah, and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden to you, and I have come to you with a proof from your Lord. So have Taqwa of Allah and obey me.'') (51. "Truly, Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him (Alone). This is the straight path.'')

ref: Tafsir Ibn Kathir.

Talha777
04-14-2007, 01:22 AM
Let me try to clarify some confusion of our Christian friend

I'm trying to get it, but don't you believe the Quran to be written by Allah? If so were the Sunna?

Holy Quran is the speech of Allah. All of the beliefs and histories mentioned in the Holy Quran are true and factual and can NEVER be abrogated. But very few commandments and regulations of Holy Quran have been abrogated. So if the Holy Quran says that there is only one God (Allah) and Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa salaam) is His Messenger, these and other beliefs can NEVER be abrogated. But as for a commandment of Holy Quran, such as not approaching salaat while in a state of intoxication, this has been abrogated. The reason is because the final Shariah was revealed in stages to address the different parts and circumstances faced by the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa salaam). But when the revelation This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. (5:3) came then Islam was sealed and no more abrogation could ever occur.

The basis for abrogation comes from the Holy Quran itself: None of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, but We substitute something better or similar: Knowest thou not that Allah Hath power over all things? (2:106)

Now four kinds of abrogations have been mentioned

1. Quran abrogating Quran - The example of not approaching salaat while in a state of intoxication, this commandment was abrogated by a complete restriction against drinking.

2. Quran abrogating Sunnat - In the original sunnat, the qibla (direction of prayer) was toward the Temple of Solomon in Jerusalem, because the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa salaam) had not yet received the revelation in Holy Quran that the qibla is toward the Sacred Masjid in Makka.

3. Sunnat abrogating Sunnat - The original permissibility of mutah (temporary marriage), which was later put to an end.

4. Sunnat abrogating Quran - The punishment for an adultress (flogging to stoning to death)

Malaikah
04-14-2007, 01:39 AM
and no the Quran was not written by Allaah. I think what you should be learning about is the basics, leave these things to those who understand.

Sis, what do you mean here? Of course the Quran was written by Allah... it is His speech...

No, he was just the one who blew Jesus' soul into Mary.

format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
4. Sunnat abrogating Quran - The punishment for an adultress (flogging to stoning to death)

Can you expand on this please? Jazakallah khayr.

Talha777
04-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Can you expand on this please? Jazakallah khayr.
No. Jazak Allah khair.

- Qatada -
04-14-2007, 12:57 PM
:salamext:

Anyone who wants to understand when/why verses were revealed during the lifetime of the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) - you can refer to its tafsir, a really famous tafsir/explanation of Qur'an is Tafsir Ibn Kathir - which is the Qur'ans explanation according to how the salaf [pious predecessors & companions of the Messenger of Allaah] understood it.

That can be accessed here inshaa Allaah:

http://tafsir.com

If you go through that, things will make much more sense inshaa Allaah.

Abdur Rahmaan
04-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Asalamu Alaikum,
One of the lecture that will help us understand that there can never be any contradiction b/w the Quran and Sunnah and if there seems to us a contradiction it is in our own limited intellects is a lecture by Sheikh Yasir Qadhi on "Intellects and Reason", you should check it out, it is very beneficial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixc3_Niv0WU

WAllahu A'lam
Salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.