PDA

View Full Version : Forced hijab on Islamic Women?!



Taqiyah
04-13-2007, 11:03 PM
salaamzz....

so here is what is confusing me the other day my brother and I were watching this documentary -either Every Women or People and Power I don't exactly remember which one- on Aljazeera English and it talked about how Afghan women were forced to wear the hijab, well.. not just a scarf but the whole veil thing that covers the face and everything, in the past and now that they have freedom they could take it off anytime they choose to...and this women was saying how she was sick of it and wanted to take it off. But what amazed me is that they are not wearing it to practice Islam or Allah's sake but coz they have to and they want to avoid being discriminated against and harassed.
It really made me sick to see these women acting like they are being oppressed when actually they are being respected and encouraged to practice their religion and please Allah. They don't realize how lucky they were to have such a law. Then my brother and I had a very long discussion(more like a debate) about this issue and he was saying something about how when people are forced to do something whether for their own good, religious or what have you, they tend to resist it with all their might and abhor it...and I disagreed with him and was saying that if it is something religious and for your own benefit then you should be grate full and thank Allah! who do you guys agree with??:?
The other thing I have noticed happening a lot is that most people from Islamic countries tend to completely change for the worst when they come to non muslim countries, they completely abandon their religious beliefs and practices!:enough!: They act like they have been in prison their whole lives and I am especially talking about teenagers from Arabic countries! why is this??
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Md Mashud
04-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Hmm, they was against wearing it? Maybe you was a bit misinformed? If not, well thats pretty bad indeed.

Maybe they was against wearing the whole thing, I mean covering face etc - Its not truly mandatory (depending on opinion and/or situation), or maybe they have to wear it at times where you need not wear it (i.e. house with just family?).

I don't see why they would refute against it.
Reply

Taqiyah
04-13-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Md Mashud
Hmm, they was against wearing it? Maybe you was a bit misinformed? If not, well thats pretty bad indeed.

Maybe they was against wearing the whole thing, I mean covering face etc - Its not truly mandatory (depending on opinion and/or situation), or maybe they have to wear it at times where you need not wear it (i.e. house with just family?).

I don't see why they would refute against it.
well yeah they were against this whole idea of being forced to wear it, which by the way is not bad at all since you have to wear it anywayz coz it is part of being a muslim women. They were gladly willing to walk on the streets with their hair uncovered and their faces full of make-up!
plus their hair wasn't covered when they were being interviewed by Al Jazeerah...actually they were in a saloon getting their hair done and talking smack about the hijab. and whenever they go out of the saloon they would cover their faces and everything! how hypocritical!
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
04-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah

It is not right to force anyone to wear the Hijab, rather it should be explained to them why it should be worn. Most sisters unfortunately do not understand why they have to wear it, they are ignorant and when they question their parents, they do not get a valid reason. Islam is with beautiful preaching, one should use hikmah in explaining the matter of the Hijab. We live in a society where it is abnormal to dress from head to toe, this is also entering the land of the Muslims. As the Prophet (pbuh) said, Islam began as something strange and it will return to something strange.

If parents were to teach their daughters from a young age, encouraged them to the wear the Hijab, tell them about the lives of the Sahabiyat and how they strived for Al-Islam, then today we will have young Aisha's and Umm Salamahs running around, proud of their Hijab and Islam.

Today the Muslims are faced with many challenges, you have the pop starts, and the movie starts, playing a big role, so as a Muslims, and we have to strive to learn your deen (Islam).

I think its all down to ignorance mostly, and heedless of the deen.

Edit:

Every country has its law, so everyone must abide by it or if they do not like, leave.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Al_Imaan
04-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Every Women
is that the documentary with the afghan women @ the hair salon?...
Reply

Taqiyah
04-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah

It is not right to force anyone to wear the Hijab, rather it should be explained to them why it should be worn. Most sisters unfortunately do not understand why they have to wear it, they are ignorant and when they question their parents, they do not get a valid reason. Islam is with beautiful preaching, one should use hikmah in explaining the matter of the Hijab. We live in a society where it is abnormal to dress from head to toe, this is also entering the land of the Muslims. As the Prophet (pbuh) said, Islam began as something strange and it will return to something strange.
.


I think its all down to ignorance mostly, and heedless of the deen.
sis you have a point their...I agree some women are ignorant about the hijab..but I personally believe in most cases it is not ignorance but it is the fact that they hate people especially men forcing them to do something. It is possible that they probably would have worn it on their own without any out side "encouragement"...and that,right there, to me is dumb! They don't look at the bigger picture but rather they notice the little unimportant things.
Reply

Taqiyah
04-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by al_imaan_786


is that the documentary with the afghan women @ the hair salon?...
Salaamz

yeah..but not the one that was on about a week or two ago...this documentary was sometime ago.
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
04-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Perhaps as I said above every country has its law, so everyone must abide by it or if they do not like, leave. I don't think it is a matter of "men" force them to wear it. These brothers are insha Allah establishing the Law of Allah, so if these sisters don't want to submit to the Law of their Creator, then they ought to leave. May Allah guide us. On saying, that education is the key. If the women are uneducated then we are going to have generations of uneducated men and women.
Reply

Taqiyah
04-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Perhaps as I said above every country has its law, so everyone must abide by it or if they do not like, leave. I don't think it is a matter of "men" force them to wear it. These brothers are insha Allah establishing the Law of Allah, so if these sisters don't want to submit to the Law of their Creator, then they ought to leave. May Allah guide us. On saying, that education is the key. If the women are uneducated then we are going to have generations of uneducated men and women.
well yeah sis I totally agree with ya...and by saying "men forced them" I mean it in a good way..what I mean is that it was made a law in the country..and if you don't go by it you are inviting trouble, which to me is fair and fine!
Reply

siFilam
04-14-2007, 12:22 AM
:salamext:

I think the problem is that the people had to wear it since it was made into a law and they would be punished if they didn't wear it. but the mistake was that Taliban didn't bother teaching the woman the reason and the purpose of proper Nikaab and therefore many resisted afterwards.

But you have to understand many Muslims desire to live like non-Muslims and only give Islam their lip service. Its a sign that Qiyaamah is approaching.

Of course no one should be forced to practice Islam. Every practice within Islam should be explained to the people so that they can appreciate it as a favor from Allah, Az wa Jal. But I think in this case it was a good thing that the woman were forced to wear Nikaab. It helped to keep many evil things out of their society.

Also its the small minority of women who rebel, at least I hope its a small minority.
And Allah knows best.

wasalam
-SI-
Reply

Al_Imaan
04-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Taqiyah
Salaamz

yeah..but not the one that was on about a week or two ago...this documentary was sometime ago.
oh ok...they constantly show that one...
Reply

Taqiyah
04-15-2007, 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by siFilam
:salamext:



Of course no one should be forced to practice Islam. Every practice within Islam should be explained to the people so that they can appreciate it as a favor from Allah, Az wa Jal. But I think in this case it was a good thing that the woman were forced to wear Nikaab. It helped to keep many evil things out of their society.

Also its the small minority of women who rebel, at least I hope its a small minority.
And Allah knows best.

wasalam
-SI-
sure sis, I totally agree with you...sometimes you just have to use force as a final solution to get your point across, especially when the people are resistant or negligent of the issue they already know about..
Reply

Talibatul Ilm
04-15-2007, 04:51 AM
subhanAllah, a rising issue in the 'muslim countries' is that they try to be more westernized, and due to that, those that hold the deen dear to them, go a little overboard and start forcing things upon others, i.e. the burqa for the women of afghanistan. therefore they grew up with no knowledge of why they had to wear it and the hikmah behind it. most of the time its seen as something more cultural than religious. thats another major problem, is that culture tends to taint islam and some people that dont do/arent able to do enough research for themselves cannot tell the difference.

so because a lot of women were forced to dress that way they feel liberated when they are able to take it off without any worries. these women just see that veil as a symbol of opression because they were not given a choice regarding it. its very sad that these sisters do not see/understand the beauty of dressing that way and embrace it on their own
Reply

Taqiyah
04-15-2007, 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by Talibatul Ilm
therefore they grew up with no knowledge of why they had to wear it and the hikmah behind it. most of the time its seen as something more cultural than religious. thats another major problem, is that culture tends to taint islam and some people that dont do/arent able to do enough research for themselves cannot tell the difference.

its very sad that these sisters do not see/understand the beauty of dressing that way and embrace it on their own
Salaamz..

It is quite hard for me to understand how a person can't learn and research the morals,beliefs, dos and don'ts in their own religion especially when that person IS LIVING IN A MUSLIM COUNTRY! I mean there is every possible resource I am sure...there r the Masjids...Islamic Book stores...tapes..videos and of course Scholars you can ask anything and everything...there is also the Internet if you have an access to it. Living in a non-muslim country..believe me there is just no one misconception or ignorance about my religion that I can't solve within two days...Alhamdulilah I can have access to every resource there is if I am really determined to solve the problem.
Reply

Talibatul Ilm
04-15-2007, 05:59 AM
see the thing is in some of those countries, namely afghanistan, the women arent allowed out of the home without a mahram, and even then arent allowed out without reason. they used to be uneducated and therefore couldnt read... they had to depend on the words of others, not knowing if it was truthful or not. its not like in some of the countries we live in where we can log online and have hundreds of sites to educate ourselves with, or turn a lecture on or crack open a book. true in some parts the situation has changed, but some households still continue to hold the women down and take her islamic rights away from her. also in some areas the islamic material around isnt even authentic and contains a lot of cultural things and bid'ah... so it would be difficult depending where they live and how the home runs for them to get some education regarding these things.
Reply

siFilam
04-15-2007, 08:24 AM
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

:salamext:



I think we can all agree that proper religious knowledge is decreasing within our Ummah. Furthermore many Muslim countries are increasing this problen with their cultural Bid'ah and ignorance.



Originally Posted by Taqiyah
Salaamz..

It is quite hard for me to understand how a person can't learn and research the morals,beliefs, dos and don'ts in their own religion especially when that person IS LIVING IN A MUSLIM COUNTRY! I mean there is every possible resource I am sure...there r the Masjids...Islamic Book stores...tapes..videos
Sadly, sister, these days living in a Muslim country doesn’t mean that you’ll get more opportunities to study Islam. There are so many factors contributing to this rampant problem. One of the primary reasons is that people underestimate the importance of educating women regarding Islam.
Consequently these uneducated women pass down their ignorance to their sons and daughter. And the cycle continues.
In some countries it actually unheard of that women should be allowed to go to the Masjid. You can learn so much from lectures in Masjid, and friday Khutba.
Than you have some scholars who are more concerned with preserving their culture over Islam. And many family don’t care if their children know the basic religious knowledge. the list goes on.

May Allah forgive us and protect our Deen from ignorance. Ameen.


wasalam
-SI-
Reply

Medina83
04-16-2007, 03:30 PM
I think Allah said it best:

002.256
YUSUFALI: Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things.
PICKTHAL: There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejecteth false deities and believeth in Allah hath grasped a firm handhold which will never break. Allah is Hearer, Knower.
SHAKIR: There is no compulsion in religion; truly the right way has become clearly distinct from error; therefore, whoever disbelieves in the Shaitan and believes in Allah he indeed has laid hold on the firmest handle, which shall not break off, and Allah is Hearing, Knowing.


If these women are forced, and feel it is wrong because of lack of education then Allah subhanawata'ala will judge that.

Surely it would be better for half the population to wear it from free will than all of the population to wear it because its forced and most of them feel resentful about it. And programs like that existing and giving non-Muslims fuel against Islam.

Just a thought.
Reply

Pk_#2
04-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Usually when you are given a rule to stick to, you go against it. common sense :p

haha

The sisters shouldn't be forced anyway! Who forces us? we still love to be hijabi's Right?

:)

Maybe because they where brought up in such constrictions they got the wrong impression of the hijab! Allahu alim,

May Allah (swt) help them.

Peace! :D :D
Reply

FatimaAsSideqah
04-16-2007, 04:21 PM
:sl:

The reason I began to wear hijab was simply that I believed (and still believe) it is mandated in Islam. When I first became Muslim I lived in a town that was full of Muslims, most of whom dressed in the traditional ways. Putting on a headscarf (and at that time even a veil) was not a hardship. It was the norm where I was, and I understood it to be required. There are verses in the Qur’an and in the collected words of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), as well as collected norms and behaviors of the wives of the Prophet and his Companions that show clearly that covering of the entire body and head was enjoined upon and practiced by the early Muslimah women.

Besides the simple answer that I am Muslimah and believe that the headscarf and covering are required in Islam, many people want to know more detail about why I actually wear it and what the purpose or point of the covering is, particularly if they know other Muslimah women who do not wear it. I cannot speak to why so many Muslimah women do not wear it and what their state of mind or opinion on the matter is. I refuse to judge them for being in the stage they are in and I do not know what their personal circumstances may be. I can only answer to what I believe the purpose and benefits of my headscarf achieve.

In my experience, the hijab or headscarf is beneficial to me. Not only do I have the security that I am following a mandate set by God and thereby pleasing God, but I also experience great comforts in this life because of my coverage. Contrary to what many think, I am not forced to wear it (I chose it for myself while still single, and as a convert I am not being forced by family to wear it), it is not an obstacle or a discomfort to me, and it does not in any way impair my opportunities or abilities.

:w:
Reply

Medina83
04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
^ MashaAllah good post sis
Reply

siFilam
04-16-2007, 06:25 PM
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

:salamext:

Originally Posted by RighteousLady
:sl:

The reason I began to wear hijab was simply that I believed (and still believe) it is mandated in Islam.
Mashallah sister, May Allah reward you for your efforts to please Him. Ameen.


The question is if it is ok to force some women to wear Hijab? I agree with sister Medina83 that programs like these give non-Muslims more reasons to bash Islam. But I think we should be more concerned with abiding by Allah, Az Wa Jal, commands than satisfying the non-Muslims and the hypocrites among the Muslim community. A society without proper regulations of Hijab and purdah is more vulnerable to evil and shameful deeds.

The former government in Afghanistan made grave mistake by underestimating the importance of educating women. I believe that’s why these rebellion exists today. They didn’t give their women a chance to appreciate Islam through education.

Please forgive me if I offended anyone in way. May Allah guide all of us and keep us firm on His Straight Path. Ameen.

And Allah knows best.
Wasalam
-SI-
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 06:28 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 02:54 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 04:33 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!