/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims and Non-muslims hijabs

Hashim_507
04-14-2007, 10:32 AM

Eastern Orthodox Nuns with their Abbess

Nuns in traditional habit singing Gregorian chant.

]

Muslim sister..

Muslim sister wearing niqab..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ummAbdillah
04-14-2007, 11:14 AM
salaam
all the hijabs look quite similar in some ways,
do nuns still wear their head cover or has the dress changed?
wa salam

ummAbdillah
04-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Edit

Hashim_507
04-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Nuns still wear there traditional head cover.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tania
04-14-2007, 02:51 PM
I didn't see too many catholic nuns but the orthodox looks exactly like those from the picture.:)

Talibatul Ilm
04-14-2007, 08:02 PM
i think thats more overseas. i live in america, here its rare to see nuns, or those that are that devoted. but subhanAllah, this only comes as proof that their faith demanded a type of modesty from them!

Pk_#2
04-14-2007, 08:06 PM
i have never seen a nun before, can you believe it? :D:X

Any nuns on the forum? Come to Luton :p

we have alot of vicars around here

I know a few :D

Talibatul Ilm
04-14-2007, 08:11 PM
my mother in law used to be a nun, she used to dress just like that too. then she 'quit nun-hood'.... im not too sure how that works lol. but when she saw me in hijab and abayah she was shocked because she said that she used to dress like that as a nun, so she thought i was some type of deep dedicated spiritual leader of some sort! :uuh:

Hashim_507
04-14-2007, 08:21 PM
So, why do media be bias on muslim womens wearing hijab? Muslims womens are not the only one wearing head scarves in this world.

Talibatul Ilm
04-14-2007, 08:32 PM
its because we're muslims, and the media is out to exploit us.
i saw a commercial the other day that got me so furious, it was a fund to raise money to protect israel. they said that the muslim jihadists were gaining money and would try and defeat israel so they were asking for money to help the israelis, as if they dont have enough. they made the muslims seem so blood thirsty and symbolically showed them as flies eating the israeli flag. but yet they cant show all that happen in filisteen? a'udhu billah, what goes on in israel is barely a small fraction of everyday life in filisteen. its all propaganda

England
04-14-2007, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
So, why do media be bias on muslim womens wearing hijab? Muslims womens are not the only one wearing head scarves in this world.
Nuns don't go throwing insults towards women that don't dress in that particular way.
Nuns don't go working in factories, shops, police forces or even demand the rights to wear one here and there, during football for example. Nuns don't ask for special privileges. It's not a nice site seeing people hid behind the veil in the streets :)

Chechnya
04-14-2007, 08:42 PM
It's not a nice site seeing people hid behind the veil in the streets
Except uncovered, immodestly dressed people in the street which is a whole lot worse - If you dont like seeing veiled women, then look away

Maybe your face is not a nice site but i aint gonna kick up a fuss about it - i'll just look away :thumbs_up

- Qatada -
04-14-2007, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Nuns don't go throwing insults towards women that don't dress in that particular way.
Muslim women don't either. :) They just want their own rights.

Nuns don't go working in factories, shops, police forces or even demand the rights to wear one here and there, during football for example. Nuns don't ask for special privileges.

So what if they don't? Muslim women have the right to work and wear what they feel comfortable in.

It's not a nice site seeing people hid behind the veil in the streets :)
Well that's just your opinion, some people dont like seeing mini skirts either.

England
04-14-2007, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chechnya
Except uncovered, immodestly dressed people in the street which is a whole lot worse - If you dont like seeing veiled women, then look away
The best option would to ban it... It just causes problems :X

format_quote Originally Posted by Chechnya
Maybe your face is not a nice site but i aint gonna kick up a fuss about it - i'll just look away :thumbs_up
I wouldn't say that. I'm pretty. :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Muslim women don't either. :) They just want their own rights.
Don't give me that. I've heard many, many muslims insult non muslim women for not dressing in their manner. I hear it all the time, even on here.

So what if they don't? Muslim women have the right to work and wear what they feel comfortable in.
And non muslims have the right to work and feel comfortable in the environment they are working in. How can we take anyone seriously if they are hiding behind a rag?

Well that's just your opinion, some people dont like seeing mini skirts either.
Not all non muslims wear mini-skirts, in fact you don't see many women in mini skirts, just the odd tart or two but hey.

- Qatada -
04-14-2007, 09:14 PM

Don't give me that. I've heard many, many muslims insult non muslim women for not dressing in their manner. I hear it all the time, even on here.
I've heard many non muslim men saying that muslim women shouldn't wear the clothes they choose to wear. Wonder what's up with that. What's it to them anyway.

And non muslims have the right to work and feel comfortable in the environment they are working in. How can we take anyone seriously if they are hiding behind a rag?

Who's stopping them? And how can we take someone seriosly if there just wearing a string for example?

Not all non muslims wear mini-skirts, in fact you don't see many women in mini skirts, just the odd tart or two but hey.
Well i can guess that they're more women in UK who wear mini skirts than women who wear the niqaab.

- Qatada -
04-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Anyway allow that, let's not get offtopic since the threads not about this anyway.

thirdwatch512
04-14-2007, 09:18 PM
the Bible says that women are to cover their heads when entering church. which is why if you go to many Catholic/Orthodox Churches, you will see many, many women with veils on.

however, women in Christianity don't have to veil themselves at all times.. Just while at church.

most days when you go to a Catholic/Orthodox Church, the elderly will have veils on, but the younger generations cease to.

sadly, protestants have went and made their own policies and twisted scripture to fit their own views.

in italy, covering your head was essential and part of the culture until probably as late as the 50's. same thing in portugal.

so yeah, although christians aren't required to cover their heads all the time, it's been a major part of our past! although, we(christians) have always been more liberal, and don't make people, and we don't make it cover everything, like their eyes and all.

England
04-14-2007, 09:25 PM
I've heard many non muslim men saying that muslim women shouldn't wear the clothes they choose to wear. Wonder what's up with that. What's it to them anyway.
With every reason. In this world identification is important. As I've said before if someone robs your purse/wallet/handbag, shoots someone and runs off you could go straight to the police station and give them a visual description of what they look like which would be hugely beneficial in capturing the criminal. If they're hiding behind a veil what can you say?

Who's stopping them? And how can we take someone seriosly if there just wearing a string for example?
Complete exaggeration. Anyone dressed in that manner at work would be sent home by their employer.

Well i can guess that they're more women in UK who wear mini skirts than women who wear the niqaab.
I wish that was true... :rollseyes

Pk_#2
04-14-2007, 09:41 PM
AsalamuALaykum Warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

Narrated by Abu Huraira (ra): The Prophet said, "Faith (Belief) consists of more than sixty branches (i.e. parts). And Haya (This term "Haya" covers a large number of concepts which are to be taken together; amongst them are self respect, modesty, bashfulness, and scruple, etc.) is a part of faith." (Bukhari)

The Bedouin asked: 'What are the best deeds in eyes of Allah?' whereupon the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said: ' Gentle manners, modesty and patience.'

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks ("Jalabib") veils all over their bodies (screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way Tafseer Al-Qurtabi) that is most convenient that they should be known (as such) and not molested: and Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful." Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59

Hashim_507
04-15-2007, 03:01 AM
England : Muslim womens are follow's the commanded of Quran and Sunah. They have every right to wear hijabs anywhere in the world.

Tania
04-15-2007, 06:48 AM
I never saw in my country women wearing veils in catholic churches.(not nuns). During winter the women can keep their head covered (like you have a hat) and the man not.

Hashim_507
04-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Tania : What country are you from?

Tania
04-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Romania:) really i have to look closer when i am in church but i didn't see it.

Hashim_507
04-15-2007, 07:02 AM
I am guessing Romania have both catholic and eastern orthodox christians right?

Joe98
04-15-2007, 07:28 AM
In my country, when muslim women wear a scarf, its not to show their religion. The scarf is used as a symbol to show intolerance towards the west.

Any woman in a muslim scarf is looked at with suspicion. But a woman in any other type of scarf is not.

If you want the West to respect muslim woman in muslim scarfs, these woman should go around doing good works for everybody in society and ask for nothing in return.

Groups of such women working in the west would then cast Islam in a good light.

Just like nuns are respected.

Hashim_507
04-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Muslim women wearing scarve does not show symbol of intolerance towards the west. The muslim women practice islam by obeying the Quran and Sunnah. The media reports bia against muslim womens and they created all of those symbols. The nations that ban hijab in the public are symbol of intolerance towards religious rights. A world without religious freedom is a world full of conflicts that never ends.

Malaikah
04-15-2007, 08:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
In my country, when muslim women wear a scarf, its not to show their religion. The scarf is used as a symbol to show intolerance towards the west.
And how many of these Muslim women have you asked about why they wear their hijab?

For the record, I don't know any Muslim woman who wears the hijab as a symbol of intolerance.

Ironically, it is only your post that is dripping in intolerance.

~*~Serene~*~
04-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Another religion

Sikhism

Tania
04-15-2007, 11:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
I am guessing Romania have both catholic and eastern orthodox christians right?
Yes , correct.Also, the traditional costumes have the scarfs. In this way, you could find people dressed upto to the first world war.

ummAbdillah
04-15-2007, 01:19 PM
salaam
How do you know that? how many muslim women have you asked why they wear their hijab?:offended:
ma salaam

Snowflake
04-15-2007, 02:32 PM
England: Nuns don't go throwing insults towards women that don't dress in that particular way.
Since when do nuns live a normal lifestyle anyway to let you witness who they insult and who they don't. If you even had the slightest inkling about the hidden lives of nuns, you'd be amazed to see the intolerance they have for each other, let alone for the world outside. And for your kind information, it isn't muslimahs who insult other women as 'she looks like a slag' and much worse insults that I can't type here. I've seen enough British chat shows where british families have a problem with how someone in their family dresses and evne worse they go on TV to insult them. :D

Nuns don't go working in factories, shops, police forces or even demand the rights to wear one here and there, during football for example. Nuns don't ask for special privileges.
Of course they don't do the above. They have no right to do all that. They're not allowed to live normal lives while still submitting themselves to God, like muslimahs can. No wonder then, nuns don't ask for any rights.

It's not a nice site seeing people hid behind the veil in the streets
Nor it is nice to see women dressed scantily only to entice men. They look nothing more than worm-bait on the end of a fishing line. Only this kinda bait is reusable.

England: With every reason. In this world identification is important. As I've said before if someone robs your purse/wallet/handbag, shoots someone and runs off you could go straight to the police station and give them a visual description of what they look like which would be hugely beneficial in capturing the criminal. If they're hiding behind a veil what can you say?
Fine, I can see your point there. But you're contrdicting yourself as the veil isn't your only problem since you also have a problem with muslim women asking for their rights (unlike nuns).

Snowflake
04-15-2007, 03:23 PM
=Joe98;714230]In my country, when muslim women wear a scarf, its not to show their religion. The scarf is used as a symbol to show intolerance towards the west.
lol what a ludicrous statement! If a woman isn't going to wear a scarf out of obedience to Allah then no way will she wear to oppose the West! :rollseyes

Any woman in a muslim scarf is looked at with suspicion. But a woman in any other type of scarf is not.
Fortunately not all westerners have suspicious minds like you. Some genuinely respect the fact that people have the right to practice their religion!

If you want the West to respect muslim woman in muslim scarfs, these woman should go around doing good works for everybody in society and ask for nothing in return.
There are hijabi muslimahs working in all fields of professions in the West. I hope your ability to see their contributions to society isn't clouded by ignorance of facts.

Groups of such women working in the west would then cast Islam in a good light.
Rubbish! It'll take just one terrorist to undo all their good works. The truth is the west will never be happy unless muslimahs ditch their modesty in favour of lewdness and become duplicates of the kufaar.

Just like nuns are respected
:blind:

This is a typical day in a nun's life:

5:30 a.m. Rise
6:05 a.m. Divine Office

(Morning Prayer and Office of Readings)

7:00 a.m. Mass
8:00 a.m. Thanksgiving after Mass
8:20 a.m. Communal Rosary
8:50 a.m. Breakfast
9:10 a.m. House Cleaning
10:00 a.m. Work Time
11:30 a.m. Divine Office

(Daytime Prayer)

11: 50 a.m. Chaplet of St. Michael
12:00 p.m. Lunch
12:30 p.m. Free Time
2:00 p.m. Work Time
4:00 p.m. Lesson with Abbess or Novice Mistress
4:30 p.m. Spiritual Reading
5:00 p.m. Divine Office

(Evening Prayer and Night Prayer)

5:25 Chaplet of Divine Mercy
5:35 p.m. Supper
6:30 p.m. Recreation
7:30 p.m. Free Time
10:00 p.m. Lights Out

Every nun has one scheduled hour of Eucharistic adoration each day. In addition to this, she has nightly adoration twice a week. The term "free time" refers to the period each day when the nuns can spend additional time in prayer, spiritual reading, exercise, and so on. Apart from the hour of recreation in the evenings, the nuns spend their days in silence (except when speaking is necessary for work). :eek:

Not much different to a prison then? And I don't see how they provide any benefits to society at all.

Muezzin
04-15-2007, 03:34 PM
And these are the types of people that Muslims criticise, not all non-Muslim women, as that is just absurd.

format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
Oh, really? How about some examples rather than blanket statements? Unless of course you telepathically know exactly why Muslims in headscarves in your country wear them.

In my country, Muslim women in headscarves do their jobs just as well as those without it, whether those others are Muslim or non-Muslim. They don't wear a scarf to stick it to the West, they do so because it is a religious obligation. It would be pointless to wear a headscarf as some sort of protest anyway, since it would conceivably endanger the woman wearing it were she to use it for that purpose! Is a Sikh wearing a turban only doing so to disrespect the West? Or do you only interpret it as such if said Sikh criticises the West?

The logic you're using also implies that unless everybody who wears a headscarf goes around doing charitable acts, they must be regarded with suspicion. What faulty logic. Let's say I dislike baseball caps. By your logic, unless everyone who wears one is an exceptional baseball player as well as being someone who clothes and feeds the homeless, as opposed to simply living his life as a polite, hardworking member of society, I must regard him with suspicion; at any rate, I would be justified in regarding him as suspicious.

I also recollect from one of your posts that you have not met any Muslims, so I'm curious as to where exactly your perceptions come from, other than vicarious experiences through hearsay and the media.

Could it just be that you have a chip on your shoulder and are jumping at shadows?

Tania
04-15-2007, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
This is a typical day in a nun's life:
Nuns in my country are working too. We have kindergardens run by nuns, elder people can ask nuns to help them at shopping.

Muezzin
04-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Nuns are exceptionally good, kind-hearted people.

I just disagree with the assertion that Muslim women in headscarves must behave like nuns in order to be accepted without suspicion. Must all people who wear black behave like priests in order to be accepted without suspicion, for fear of the colour of their clothing being perceived as an insult to white people?

Also, a note to members: Do not turn this thread into yet another debate about the veil, as it is only vaguely related to the overall point of the first post of this thread in the first place. Such discussions belong on one of the many other threads about that subject. Any further posts debating the subject will be deleted.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.