/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UK Muslims 'more loyal than most'

Muezzin
04-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Muslims in the UK are more likely to identify strongly with Britain and have confidence in its institutions than the population as a whole, a poll suggests.
The survey says they are also more likely to take a positive view of living side-by-side with people of different races and religions.

The majority of Muslims do not believe the veil is a barrier to integration - unlike most of the wider population.

Gallup interviewed 500 Muslims and 1,200 members of the wider population.

The full results of the survey - described as the most comprehensive poll on Muslims and non-Muslims to date - will be published later this week.

Poll detail

Fifty-seven per cent of the Muslims polled said they identified strongly with their country, compared with 48% of the general public.

Muslims were also more likely to express confidence in the police (78% to 69%), national government (64% to 36%), the justice system (67% to 55%) and elections (73% to 60%).

Nearly three-quarters of the Muslims said they felt loyal to the UK, and 82% said they respected other religions.

But just 45% of the wider population said Muslims living in the UK were loyal to the nation, and only 55% said they were respectful.

The poll found the general public were more likely to prefer living in a neighbourhood made up mostly of people who shared their religious or ethnic background (35%) than Muslims were (25%).

Only 13% of British Muslims said they believed that women removing the veil was necessary for integration, compared with 55% of the wider population.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
04-15-2007, 03:59 PM
I would be interested in the age group used for this survey. Most survey data has shown that the older generations of Muslim immigrants have a far different worldview than the younger.

Muezzin
04-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Seems pretty accurate to me. The nuts who would commit acts of violence and behave in an anti-social or intolerant manner truly are in the minority, partly due to the fact that Islam teaches Muslims to be good, polite, hardworking people.

Keltoi
04-15-2007, 04:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Seems pretty accurate to me. The nuts who would commit acts of violence and behave in an anti-social or intolerant manner truly are in the minority.
I wasn't referring to terrorists, I'm talking about the general opinion of Muslims about the U.K. government and institutions. Obviously the terrorists are a small minority. I know younger generations tend to be more cynical than their parents and grandparents, and that goes for Muslims as well as non-Muslims. I'm sure the study is reasonably accurate, I was just interested in the age dynamic.

It also made me wonder about the perceptions of these surveys by Muslim Brits and non-Muslim Brits. I get the feeling that many non-Muslim Brits take these kind of surveys as an opinion on the state of the current government and administration, whereas the Muslims seem more likely to separate Tony Blair from the basic British political system and government institutions.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
04-15-2007, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I wasn't referring to terrorists, I'm talking about the general opinion of Muslims about the U.K. government and institutions. Obviously the terrorists are a small minority. I know younger generations tend to be more cynical than their parents and grandparents, and that goes for Muslims as well as non-Muslims. I'm sure the study is reasonably accurate, I was just interested in the age dynamic.
Ah. Sorry, I misunderstood you.

Still, though the younger generation of both Muslims and non-Muslims may or may not be more cynical than their predecessors, it does not necessarily follow that they must be potential traitors.

It also made me wonder about the perceptions of these surveys by Muslim Brits and non-Muslim Brits. I get the feeling that many non-Muslim Brits take these kind of surveys as an opinion on the state of the current government and administration, whereas the Muslims seem more likely to separate Tony Blair from the basic British political system and government institutions.
Anyone, of any religion, I've talked to who critices the basic British political system and government instituitions subsequently mentions how they'd like to emigrate :)

However, with all the hullaboo surrounding the House of Lords lately, I think people will criticise how the fundamental institutions are being changed.

Usually though, criticism is levelled at Labour's foreign policy.

Muezzin
04-16-2007, 12:21 PM
The price for spamming one of my threads is deletion, muhahahaha. But seriously, play nice, people. Going off on tangents in World Affairs threads has a tendency to lead to mudslinging.

Keltoi
04-16-2007, 12:31 PM
I wonder what the results would be if a similar survey was taken in the United States? I have a feeling it would be similar. In fact, I think most surveys involving immigrant minorities would be similar in percentages. Native born Brits and Americans probably don't have a point of reference to compare their government and institutions to another, while immigrants have lived under different social and political systems.

Muezzin
04-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Yep. Even the most caustic critics of 'The West' (TM) accept that even if those countries are so bad, they are still the lesser of two evils. None of us will ever be completely satisfied. That's life.

AvarAllahNoor
04-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Seems fine. I do find the elders more tolerant than the young.

Keltoi
04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Seems fine. I do find the elders more tolerant than the young.
I wonder what the cause of that might be? Are the young becoming even more "British", as many of them are native born, or is it a product of something else?

Muezzin
04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
The young tend to be way too interested in politics and world affairs when they should be out kicking a ball around, quite frankly.

The elders are more like 'dudes, this country ain't bad. I've LIVED in bad.'

The young tend to be like 'but all our brothers and stuff are dying in these other countries! And we don't want to accept that all we can do is pray for them, we want to get really ticked off and say incriminating things, even though that won't help things either!'

Oy...

Then again, criticising anything and everything is part of being 'British', preferably with copious amounts of sarcasm.

AvarAllahNoor
04-16-2007, 12:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
The young tend to be way too interested in politics and world affairs when they should be out kicking a ball around, quite frankly.

The elders are more like 'dudes, this country ain't bad. I've LIVED in bad.'

The young tend to be like 'but all our brothers and stuff are dying in these other countries! And we don't want to accept that all we can do is pray for them, we want to get really BLEEPED off and say incriminating things, even though that won't help things either!'

Oy...

Then again, criticising anything and everything is part of being 'British', preferably with copious amounts of sarcasm.
Language Timothy.... 15% warning :p

Muezzin Edit: TIME PARADOX!

AvarAllahNoor
04-16-2007, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I wonder what the cause of that might be? Are the young becoming even more "British", as many of them are native born, or is it a product of something else?
Like Muezzin said, more to do with the plight of thosands worldwide. Though assisting them can take on many forms. Elders were just relieved to have been allowed to settle here and make a good life for them and their kids

Keltoi
04-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Whoa...Muezzin edited someone else's post as well as his own...no man should have that much power in his hands. :)

Back on topic, sorry.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.